Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Anyway, back on topic (sort of).

The idea that Ronaldo deserves better (it's understandable that he wants away), etc. Basically - he deserves CL football at this stage of his career, he shouldn't have to waste a full season playing for a non-CL team.

Okay - fine, yes.

But there is no indication whatsoever that he informed the club that he wanted out before...yes, when? He apparently had a talk with ETH which was "generally positive" at some point before pre-season.

ETH is on record saying that he had talked to Ronaldo and that he (ETH) was looking forward to working with him.

ETH was not hired (and certainly did not talk to Ronaldo) until after it became clear that United would not play in the CL this season.

So - why did this paragon of professionalism and elite mentality not announce straight away that he would be wanting a move?

My guess is this: Mendes has been on the case for months, trying to secure a deal. But Ronaldo didn't want to come out and say it (not privately either) because he didn't want to burn any bridges/piss off United prematurely. But then, as time marched on and it became increasingly clear that he wasn't that attractive (to any club he fancied), he became more desperate.

All of which is understandable - from his perspective. That is - from his personal, purely selfish perspective. But it's really hard to paint it in a positive light if you want to insist that he's either a) a stand-up guy or b) a "United legend" or c) a super professional guy whose individual goals are aligned with those of the team he happens to play for.

It would obviously have been better for United if he had made it clear from day one (that is, when it became clear that we would not play in the CL this season - i.e. months ago) that he would be pushing for a transfer.
This idea is absolute horseshit as well. I know you're not saying it, I'm just saying that this notion that the man "deserves" CL, or he "deserves" better is ridiculous. He was part of a team that failed to qualify for the CL and qualified for the EL instead. That's what he deserves.

OverratedOpinion

Followers is irrelevant. Michael Jackson died before IG even came out and he could EASILY go neck to neck with anyone in the ‘most famous person in the world’ conversation.
Yes and Jesus is the most famous person to ever live. I am talking about people alive.

Michael Jackson is very famous.

"Followers are irrelevant" is a very strange statement when discussing how well known someone is.

Sara125

I'm only a couple of years older. Nobody I know has LeBron above Michael Jordan.
What are you talking about :lol::lol: people absolutely do put LeBron above Michael. That’s even how I, as a non follower of basketball, found out that the LeBron James vs MJ argument even is a thing.

Oldyella

No it indicates that he is famous across more generations since his fame started earlier and he is still famous. You are talking about the star of the biggest movie of 2022, not 2005.
Unless you go much older the impact would be negligible. Not the same for everyone I know, but 40 is way too early to start talking about generations knowing who someone is or not. If you are talking 80 or 90 possibly. But plenty of 60 or 70 year olds have Netflix etc. Anyway, this is going way way off topic now. :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yet he is so famous that they literally print money.

Anyway I am leaving my desk as I have just finished work.

Shall we agree to disagree?

1. I feel I have derailed the thread.
2. We really have gotten into the weeds debating which Hollywood A Lister is more famous.

I will just end it in saying I think you and others underestimate how important the internet (and having your prime during the internet age) is in making you known worldwide but it is honestly a totally unimportant point that I am astounded I have spent so much time talking about this afternoon.
I think that you overestimate the internet. For example Scarlett Johansson generates more money than both Tom Cruise and Dwayne Johnson, she is as famous if not more and yet by your initial metric she is below Dwayne Johnson or Ronaldo. We both know that it's nonsense the same way you know that Kylie Jenner isn't more famous than Johansson, Rihanna or Beyoncé.

Your metrics are obviously flawed and it's not even subtle.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Unless you go much older the impact would be negligible. Not the same for everyone I know, but 40 is way too early to start talking about generations knowing who someone is or not. If you are talking 80 or 90 possibly. But plenty of 60 or 70 year olds have Netflix etc. Anyway, this is going way way off topic now. :lol:
I said about 40 that includes the people that are 100 years old and the point is that someone that was famous in their adulthood is still famous for them. That's why longevity matters.

Sara125

Yes and Jesus is the most famous person to ever live. I am talking about people alive.

Michael Jackson is very famous.

"Followers are irrelevant" is a very strange statement when discussing how well known someone is.
Okay I exaggerated by saying it’s irrelevant but you’re using it as the SOLE metric

OverratedOpinion

think that you overestimate the internet. For example Scarlett Johansson generates more money than both Tom Cruise and Dwayne Johnson, she is as famous if not more and yet by your initial metric she is below Dwayne Johnson or Ronaldo. We both know that it's nonsense the same way you know that Kylie Jenner isn't more famous than Johansson, Rihanna or Beyoncé.
She is in films that generate money (one specific franchise) I would not say she is one of the top 2 actors in the majority of those movies. That would be Robert Downey Jr and then probably Chris Hemsworth.

Judas

Open to offers
On the Ronaldo thing am I wrong in thinking that before he arrived, even though we were inconsistent, the team spirit was generally good and the players fought for each other? It seems we've seen precious little of that since he's come in.
Yep. It was the key thing that got us 2nd I think. There was clearly a togetherness in the squad that died a death last season.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This idea is absolute horseshit as well. I know you're not saying it, I'm just saying that this notion that the man "deserves" CL, or he "deserves" better is ridiculous. He was part of a team that failed to qualify for the CL and qualified for the EL instead. That's what he deserves.
Yeah - true.

He wasn't forced to come back to United - he willingly signed the contract.

And if he thought United were on the very verge of taking over the world again - well, he was a bit naive, let's say.

Rolaholic

Followers is irrelevant. Michael Jackson died before IG even came out and he could EASILY go neck to neck with anyone in the ‘most famous person in the world’ conversation.
He's the most famous non-mythical human to have ever lived tbh, people in every single continent would've been able to recognize him while he was alive

Member 101269

Yep. It was the key thing that got us 2nd I think. There was clearly a togetherness in the squad that died a death last season.
Yes; PP was out, Greenwood out, Cavani wanting to leave, Jessie wanting to leave Rashford off, Martial wanting out Henderson alledgedly promised no1.. A lot of issues and alledgedly broken promises.

the_cliff

So he is shouting like a mad man in the grounds and dressing room.
Maguire and Shaw and Rashford want to do their training and become awesome in coming games, but Ronaldo's relentless madness and shouting is stopping them from becoming awesome.
I want Ronaldo to leave but I do agree with this.

Ronaldo AND the people complaining about Ronaldo both need to leave. What a spineless team we have.

redcucumber

What are you talking about :lol::lol: people absolutely do put LeBron above Michael. That’s even how I, as a non follower of basketball, found out that the LeBron James vs MJ argument even is a thing.
Ok, good for you. As someone that doesn't know anything about basketball, it's on odd thing to wade in on. My friends do follow basketball and none of them have LeBron higher than Michael Jordan.

Sara125

Ok, good for you. As someone that doesn't know anything about basketball, it's on odd thing to wade in on. My friends do follow basketball and none of them have LeBron higher than Michael Jordan.
This isn’t my opinion, this is what I’ve seen people who do follow basketball say.

CM

He's not even close to being the worse source in football :lol:
I can't remember ever seeing him ever write anything remotely insightful and most information he does provide is piggybacked off what somebody else has already written.

He's not your gutter tier Daily Star, Express etc but of those who are actually paid to report on Man Utd he's one of the worst.

redcucumber

This isn’t my opinion, this is what I’ve seen people who do follow basketball say.
Super. Are you confused? As I've already said, I have several friends who follow basketball from the same generation as you and none of them have LeBron James over Michael Jordan. That's it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That's why longevity matters.
Yes, exactly.

How many people in the world have never - ever - had anything to do with social media (which is a very new phenomenon, relatively speaking)?

(I don't have the answer - I don't think anyone does, and it will be just an estimate, but I think even the estimate would be shocking to some.)

How many of those people (who have never - ever - had anything to do with social media) would recognize the name of - say - "Donald Trump", "Joe Biden" or - yes, why not - "Michael Jackson"?

That's where you should start - and then look further into how likely it is that those people would recognize "Cristiano Ronaldo" over "Donald Trump" (or "Michael Jackson", for that matter). And then - yes, of course - you can also look into how many of the non-social media demographic would actually recognize Ronaldo (many of them undoubtedly would).

Anyway, the point is that how many followers Ronaldo has on Instagram is an extremely doubtful indicator if what we want to establish is how objectively "known" he is (that is, how many individuals on this planet are able to identify him by name or image).

My guess would be that he is - by reasonable/relevant/mostly accepted standards - very well known. But I would be surprised if he's more known - across the globe - than even someone like Joe Biden.

Widow

I can't remember ever seeing him ever write anything remotely insightful and most information he does provide is piggybacked off what somebody else has already written.

He's not your gutter tier Daily Star, Express etc but of those who are actually paid to report on Man Utd he's one of the worst.
mazhar13 has him as a tier 2 source and I have a lot of faith in mazhar13

Fearthegrimp

The spiel is now that moving Ronaldo on would be akin to the purchase of another player due to the lift in spirits in the camp. So we'll now have Eriksen, Malacia, Martinez and (ex) Ronaldo. So 4 signings surely better than 3?!?

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
This is a chance for Ten Hag to wipe the slate clean and stamp his authority on the team. But it's not just Ronaldo that's got to go. There's still going to be a bad aura around the place.

Rolaholic

Get the feeling we'll agree to terminate his contract in a week or 2 only to have him sign with Chelsea on a free :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How did she leverage an average product into a multi billion dollar business just through attention in about 18 months?
You tell me. Its certainly not by being one of the most famous people on the planet. Much of the developing world wouldn't have even heard of this person. Shows how mhch of a cocoon people in the west often are.

joedirt87

Get the feeling we'll agree to terminate his contract in a week or 2 only to have him sign with Chelsea on a free :lol:
Wouldn't the club have to pay a fee or the wages to terminate it. e wouldn't it be cheaper to just loan him out this year and get someone to agree to take a part of the wage.

Bristol_Red_87

Here you go guys, I've created a thread so you can discuss who's the most famous person on the planet This thread seems to be going off topic a bit: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/whos-the-most-famous-well-known-celebrity-on-the-planet.472431/
Not all 'famous' superheroes wear capes!!

Back on topic, and apologies if this has been mentioned previously, but would Mendes/Ronaldo not have sought out an exit strategy if United failed to qualify for the ECL, and had this written into the contract?

Just appears to be a huge cop-out/after though on Ronaldo's part.

Renegade

Wouldn't the club have to pay a fee or the wages to terminate it. e wouldn't it be cheaper to just loan him out this year and get someone to agree to take a part of the wage.
Part? We shouldn’t be paying a penny.

MrEleson

BBC, Times, Telegraph
Well the actual young players like garnacho has been posting Ronaldo a lot during this period with the goat caption, so it’s safe to say that Ronaldo’s presence hasn’t been negative for him at the very least

gaffs

Well the actual young players like garnacho has been posting Ronaldo a lot during this period with the goat caption, so it’s safe to say that Ronaldo’s presence hasn’t been negative for him at the very least
It will just be the weak willed, fragile players like McGuire and Rashford who cant step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.