Cristiano Ronaldo: Set to leave by mutual agreement

Is Ronaldo justified to say that he “feels betrayed” by Manchester United?

• Ronaldo should be not be allowed to play for United again

Votes: 1,536 81.7%
  • He's always been a massive bellend

Votes: 884 47.0%
  • Messi has always been the better player

Votes: 574 30.5%
  • He should be begged to come back with double the salary and ten Haag should bow to his greatness

Votes: 126 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Course he is.
Is he though? He was a legend for Real Madrid and Portugal but he's got one league trophy more than Carlos Tevez managed at United and didn't even play 200 games for us. The bar seems a bit low for Legend status at United purely because he is a great player.

A player who has now twice come out and disrupted the club because they want to leave could have single handedly won us the treble and I would refuse to accept that they're a legend with us, so Ronaldo has no chance. Legendary footballer, top of the world for a couple of seasons with us, cnut otherwise.

Tragically Hip

Nothing new to add, but I just have to express how pathetic I feel this man is. He’s done it all, has all the money he could ever need, and is still a miserable prick. None of it has made him happy or fulfilled.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Boondog

This is the aftermath of him realizing that next year he will be in the US.

stevoc

No way back after those comments, hard to understand his behaviour. He surely would have got a January move either way after his woeful performances this season. Why he chose to act unprofessionally and then burn all bridges on his way out is baffling considering his history with the club.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I'm proper fuming. He did so much in his early years - then desperately left with the slave endorsing comments.

Now he came back for a big payday and then cried about not being able to add CL tapins to his records.

I actually dislike him now.

Irwin99

A very sad ending for him at a club that's continually forgiven him his previous outbursts.

On the bright side, hopefully this means funds for January recruitment because Martial and Rashford as our only two strikers is not enough.

RC89

Biggest fan of the guy but the last few months have been strange to say the least.

This quote from Perez is funny now somehow
I wonder what he was referring to. What made him sick and what was he doing?

macheda14

What fecking legacy. Never a United player
What?! His first stint was unbelievable, he left to Madrid, but he still held the admiration of the fans and SAF. His last three seasons for us are some of the best seasons a United player has ever played for the club. Being central to three leagues and one CL is a legacy.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He claims he never wanted to leave, the club is forcing him out yet at the end he says he has to play Champions League so I can take that ideally he would've liked to have stayed had we got top 4 but we didn't so he tried to leave, there were no takers. United seem to have accommodated and played fair with him all this time.

I was hoping both he and the club could've terminated the contract mutually so he can become a free agent and do whatever it takes to get a CL club. When we didn't get top 4 I thought Ronaldo is gone, he should've gone even if that meant him asking for less wages. He had to find his market value at a second tier CL club. To add to his CL goal tally he should've been prepared to play for 75k if needed and forget about his 500k here in Europa, it should've been goodbye.
He should've gone back to play for Sporting. They were very competitive in their group and would've likely gone through to last 16 with someone like him as team figurehead. Not like he's been playing for teams threatening to actuallly win the tournament since he left Madrid in 2018 anyway.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Anyone think he's going to retire after the world Cup?
It’s pretty clear that his status on the field means everything to him and that he cannot foresee any other life, so no. Ronaldo won’t retire gracefully.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Nothing new to add, but I just have to express how pathetic I feel this man is. He’s done it all, has all the money he could ever need, and is still a miserable prick. None of it has made him happy or fulfilled.
You sum it up perfectly, and like, this is the reason for why he is the highest scoring Champions League player ever — as well as the reason for why he is a total clown for us now.

But is it news? You must have been living in a cave if you expected this guy to be all class and handle a steep decline with honors.

Infra-red

Of course people at the club want him out - the man can't play football to a decent standard anymore, but is taking home one of the biggest salaries in the history of the game - you'd be worried if people at United didn't want him out.

The sooner he goes the better - last summer would have been ideal, but his agent was too useless to bring in even one measly offer for "the greatest sportperson of all time". Hopefully he has an OK World Cup and some idiot running some club somewhere in the world, makes a move for him.

bakalhau

Anyone still trying to play mental gymnastics to defend Ronaldo from now on should be instantly banned. You’re either a United fan or a Ronaldo fan. You can’t be both.
Edit: I don't know why my posts end up so long, I'm sorry

Why can't I be a fan of both? Because I am. And I was a fan of United before I was a Ronaldo fan (hugeee fan of both, Man Utd not my hometown/born club). And if you look through my post history, all of it, you would see that there's people in here that can really like the guy but that's one thing, another is blindly idolatrizing him and pretending he's a perfect human being, or undermining or criticizing the club because things aren't turning out well right now. I've always strived to be respectful of others opinions and raise the discussion level, mainly on his footballing side, and not really outside the scope of that. I think I deserve to contribute, for sure.

I really like Ten Hag, actually. I wish Ronaldo wouldn't have done this interview but that's just like him, isn't it? I like him as he is, with defects and all. I don't think the club has been any more disrepectful of him, than he has been towards the club, this season. I think Ronaldo has made some mistakes, and Ten Hag probably could have done better with one of the subs with Ronaldo (the one he refused to come on). But we all make mistakes and I'm not gonna bash Erik because I think he could've done that event better. I think he's handled Ronaldo pretty well overall, honest to god. He's given him plenty of game time broadly speaking, made him captain the other day, been supportive of him publicly, regardless of whether he feels that way or not in reality.

Ronaldo says a couple of things that are quite right in my view, one of those things is the one we all agree and know about. The other is about Rooney, I don't know what's so sad about that reply to Rooney, Ronaldo, like him or not, is still going in the Premier League at this age (still being a starter in a lot of games despite not playing well lately), while Rooney talks on the sidelines. I can't see a fairer reply than saying Ronney is off-pressure on the sidelines where it's easy to talk, while he's actually still doing it on the field as of today. Other stuff he talks about just undermines his position with the fans, and the manager, and isn't doing himself any favours there, considering that right now I believe he should be striving to keep his doors open in here. You never know the future, and it would be best if he kept some stuff to himself so as not to burn bridges with the coach and/or staff.

All in all, my assessement of Ronaldo's time in here with us is that for years before he rejoined, I felt it in my heart I never wanted him to come back, afraid of things turning sour for X or Y reason and you know, people's expectations, him maybe declining because age does catch up, and in the end I guess that as a fan of both and wanting to see both United and him lifting a trophy together again, it's been the nightmare I dreaded all along.

I love the coach and where the team is heading, though, so I'm supper happy with that.

Irwin99

On a side note it's staggering to me how many of those stories in the press last season turned out to be true- Ronaldo's disdain for the technology and facilities for instance. That season was/is infamous.

Aretak

No way back after those comments, hard to understand his behaviour. He surely would have got a January move either way after his woeful performances this season. Why he chose to act unprofessionally and then burn all bridges on his way out is baffling considering his history with the club.
Because he needs the world to know that absolutely none of it is his fault and that everybody is conspiring against him. The reality is that he doesn't give a feck about Manchester United and never has. The stuff about facilities and such is just white noise to paint himself as the put upon good guy dealing with unacceptable circumstances. Going after Ten Hag was a mistake, because it exposes his real agenda. The only thing Cristiano Ronaldo cares about and has ever cared about is himself. He flounced out of Real Madrid, his supposed dream club that he loved more than anything, exactly the same way, crying about how they weren't worshipping the ground he walked on quite enough any more.

Reactions: Cheimoon

AlPistacho

I don't even agree with that. How in any way does improving a jacuzzi or pool relate to performance on the pitch. We let go of the old CEO, brought in new people, brought in a modern manager,have brought in a boatload of new signings and are actually renovating the training facilities. Arsenal have had bigger issues with their owners than we have had over the last few years. I get that some fans always like lapping up anything negative towards the club, but it's clear he's only saying this for his own agenda.
Whether real or not he’s saying what he knows many people believe before then saying his own selfish disrespectful rubbish.

I agree & disagree. The owners have given money and it’s the managers that have wasted it. But it’s true that the stadium and training ground have fallen behind. Would Ronaldo be complaining about it if he was starting every match? No.

The club has been run by incompetent people some of the decision making , contract renewals especially for Mourinho & Ole stunk of being reactive.

Amarsdd

I hope he scores and does decently at the WC so that there’s interest in Jan window and he can leave.

He’s definitely an example of lasting long enough to become the villain.
He didn’t garner any interest in the summer after scoring 20+ goals in a struggling team. Doubt he’ll get any even after a decent wc after what he’s done for half the season.

mu4c_20le

Only Liverpool ended 0-5 from what I remember. Is he actually saying Ole showed his '99 goal instead of a team talk before that match?
Yes, it's well known within United circles that Ole sometimes plays old footage on repeat to 'show a point'

MrEleson

The Rooney comments were totally uncalled for. But I always wondered why Rooney came after him even when he was playing well and scoring goals at the tail end of last season but at the same time would praise the likes of Maguire eternally. That never made any sense to me.

redcucumber

So he felt disrespected, because he gave the club reasons to doubt him, while every source at the club was saying that the club accepted it and trusted him?
Basically, United is always in the wrong and can't win while Ronaldo is absolved of any responsibility. It's classic fanboy esque reasoning and would be hilarious if it wasn't so deranged.

redcucumber

People on here only want to see black and white with regard to Ronaldo and this incident and his 2nd stint at United.

He's in the wrong but it's funny that in everyday life, most people with kids would probably admit (even if reluctantly) that your child's being on the line makes you less than rational, even if it wasn't after another one passing recently.

But at the same time, we have multiple excuses for Maguire and his sister. People will attack it as whataboutery but it's a clear example of double standards
Yes, because Maguire gets such an easy time on here :houllier:. Seriously?!

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Let's hope Argentina wins the world cup with a Messi hattrick.(assisted by Lisandro Martinez)

Ldn FanBoy

Im wondering if Ronaldo has done 2 interviews as there was talks of an interview back in August. I've heard rumours that Rooney made some comments recently and this is mentioned in the interview by Ronaldo/Piers. So that would insinuate that another recording (and/or edits) was made. Either way its not looking good, the timing couldn't be better for his camp. I have a strong feeling the club will obviously come out looking terrible after. There's mentions of his sick daughter, and going by that logic, if that is the starter... imagine what the juicy main course will be?!

Surely no coming back after this! His next club has been negotiated for already.

lostcauz

His mind is utterly warped. Everyone can see he’s had a steep decline apart from him, any other player would keep quiet realising they are at one of the biggest teams in the world on massive wages whilst constantly putting in 2/10 performances.

I’m sure it’s been brought up but he would be due to come back after the World Cup and before the start of the transfer window. What’s he going to do? Go AWOL?
Worse case scenario could see portugal out in the first week of December which isn’t too crazy a possibility if Ronaldo starts and insists on playing every minute.

Reactions: Sultan
Status
Not open for further replies.