Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Last season though there were more goals per game in Serie A than there was in La liga.
Is this true? Was last season an exception? or should this be part of the "weird feelings in football" thread because when I watch la liga and Serie A those are the two things I notice.

DVG7

Is this true? Was last season an exception? or should this be part of the "weird feelings in football" thread because when I watch la liga and Serie A those are the two things I notice.
Yes it’s true of last season, although for la liga it was the lowest it had been in twelve years. It may come from the fact that you probably only watch bigger teams play. In La liga, the smaller teams do play more tactically against each other and it can result in more defensive football. Whilst they don’t expect to be able to defeat Barcelona/Real Madrid so they just “have fun” against them, they do still value their position in the league and know how to play conservatively when it matters.

Pocho

Probably shows how easy it is to score in la liga and why Messi's & Ronaldo's tally are so over bloated.

Very bad defenders, overrated leagues, easy teams with the best attackers all combined in to one.
Higuaín scored a lot more goals in Italy than in Spain, so no, Ronaldo is fading.

van Hooijdonk

Seria A isn't at all defensive league. That's myth from a long time ago. That's not the 90's or the early 2000's anymore. Ronaldo is declining for 2 years already. He just can't dribble past defenders anymore, hasn't got the speed and mobility to make his own goals. He is very dependable on the team. Juventus hasn't that attacking power to serve him goalscoring opportunities on a plate for him to score easy goals.

SportingCP96

Supports
Yes it’s true of last season, although for la liga it was the lowest it had been in twelve years. It may come from the fact that you probably only watch bigger teams play. In La liga, the smaller teams do play more tactically against each other and it can result in more defensive football. Whilst they don’t expect to be able to defeat Barcelona/Real Madrid so they just “have fun” against them, they do still value their position in the league and know how to play conservatively when it matters.
I don't have time at the moment to check the previous seasons so I am assuming last year was the one of few years where Serie A had more goals than la liga. Once again this is my assumption based on what you said about it being the lowest total in 12 seasons. When I get a chance I will probably go check out the comparisons to see.

Also yes in La liga I usually only watch the Barca, Madrid, and Atletico...depending on the game I like to see Sevilla as well.

DVG7

From 2007-2017 La liga averaged 2.77 goals per game and Serie A 2.64. Serie A has had a higher average goals tally in 2 of the last 3 seasons and in 17/18 they were almost exactly the same.

DVG7

Also @SportingCP96 as of today Serie A season 19/20 is currently seeing an average of 2.84 and La liga an average of 2.56

To keep the thread on topic with Ronaldo, it would appear that since his arrival in Italy it’s became a league with more goals, it’s just that he’s not getting as much of a share of them. I think the only possible conclusion to draw from that is he’s playing on a team that’s getting less chances and he is having less influence on games.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Also @SportingCP96 as of today Serie A season 19/20 is currently seeing an average of 2.84 and La liga an average of 2.56

To keep the thread on topic with Ronaldo, it would appear that since his arrival in Italy it’s became a league with more goals, it’s just that he’s not getting as much of a share of them. I think the only possible conclusion to draw from that is he’s playing on a team that’s getting less chances and he is having less influence on games.
Actually chances created are aplenty but conversion rate is sh*t and the most at fault you know his name, don’t you? However, back to square one in this debate, he must play less and convert better when he plays: nobody would complain if his rate is 1 goal out of 3 shots in goal instead of 1 in 9.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Can't fight against ligaments and soft tissue. That's one fight that is impossible to win. Muscles, bones, no problemo. Soft tissue, no chance.

SportingCP96

Supports

Thanks! I guess it was more of a “weird feelings in football” kind of thing instead of actual fact so I appreciate that stat you got.

SportingCP96

Supports
Can't fight against ligaments and soft tissue. That's one fight that is impossible to win. Muscles, bones, no problemo. Soft tissue, no chance.
Is there a report saying he is in fact injured though? None of the major Portuguese news outlets are reporting it?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Is there a report saying he is in fact injured though? None of the major Portuguese news outlets are reporting it?
I don't know. Was saying that in a general context. If his knee is bothering him, it's very, very, very likely a ligament issue. He is a big guy.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Higuaín scored a lot more goals in Italy than in Spain, so no, Ronaldo is fading.
That's also got to do with the type of football played. Italy play a direct type of football which is less technical than in La liga.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
1. Higuain played a lot as winger in his first seasons at Real Madrid, Raul and Van Nistelrooy were the main strikers.

2. On Wikipedia I see: 190 games played and 107 goals scored in La Liga. 202 games played and 119 goals scored in Serie A.. Not a big difference.. If we only consider the games played as striker AND the minutes played (not the games, at Real Madrid the competition was much bigger) then I'm pretty sure the result would be much much different..

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
His performances over the last month have been mediocre (against Lokomotiv twice, Torino, AC Milan and Genoa even if against Genoa he saved his overall awful performance with a last-minute dive + PK scored). It doesn't help the fact Juventus currently have the 7th/8th best attack in Serie A (20 goals scored, same as Roma and behind Inter, Atalanta, Lazio, Cagliari, Sassuolo, Napoli)

DVG7

You probably won’t find many, if any takers backing against him to score crucial goals in the knockout stages of the champions league. So long as he does that, it will render his seasons overall form obsolete, as the narrative will change to “He was just saving himself for the important games”, which is fine.

Eddy_JukeZ

Is he even the 2nd best player in the world anymore?

I feel he's declined a lot since moving to Juventus(to be expected though with his age and that knee injury of his).

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

I feel he's declined a lot since moving to Juventus(to be expected though with his age and that knee injury of his).
Depends what the criteria is. If the question is who is the 2nd best player in the world at their absolute bests then you'd still say Ronaldo. If it's just at this moment in time who is the 2nd best player in the world then no. Mbappe or KDB would probably be the answer. Lewandowski deserves a shout too.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

He hasn’t been particularly great over the past few years during the early seasons either. To be fair, he has already played nearly over 1000 competitive matches over his career, and he will be 35 soon. I don’t expect him to maintain playing at the top 1 or 2 level in the world forever. Most GOAT are already totally done or out of picture at this age (including Pele, Maradona, Cruyff etc)

I think the real question is, will he bear to keep scoring only less than impressive 20+ goals a season in order to break the remaining records. (I don’t think there’s any prob for him to score 20-25 goals a season at all over next couple of years, but that would look rather poor for his standard, would he be able to swallow his pride for not being the best anymore, and playing just for the record?)

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Capello saying he hasn't gone past a man in three years :lol:

I know what point he is trying to make but that's just not true.
Hyperbole obviously :D

But his point is correct. Nowadays he rarely even tries to dribble(which Capello also pointed out)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Other way around. He's more involved and has more influence on his team's play, which also means he's not at the end of the chances they create as frequently

Btw, understats xG model has juventus at >22 and Barcelona at 20...yet barcelona scored 33 goals, juventus 20...

To finish the argument, since moving to juventus his involvement and influence on play has been better than it had been in years. He's almost always the best player on the pitch, goals or not. A complete turnaround from his last seasons in madrid where he did not offer much outside of goals. The difference is in how juventus use him

DVG7

Other way around. He's more involved and has more influence on his team's play, which also means he's not at the end of the chances they create as frequently

Btw, understats xG model has juventus at >22 and Barcelona at 20...yet barcelona scored 33 goals, juventus 20...

To finish the argument, since moving to juventus his involvement and influence on play has been better than it had been in years. He's almost always the best player on the pitch, goals or not. A complete turnaround from his last seasons in madrid where he did not offer much outside of goals. The difference is in how juventus use him
I may be wrong, but as far as on the field goes, Juventus bought Ronaldo to get them over the line in the champions league. I’m pretty confident that they would swap the version of Ronaldo they have right now for the last season at Real version, because the last month or so is indicative of his actually measurable influence on games fading.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I may be wrong, but as far as on the field goes, Juventus bought Ronaldo to get them over the line in the champions league. I’m pretty confident that they would swap the version of Ronaldo they have right now for the last season at Real version, because the last month or so is indicative of his actually measurable influence on games fading.
Mate, your two latest posts about this matter clearly show you do not really know what you are talking about, do you? You are just in love with your own idea, which is going to be right sooner than later, we all know... nevertheless, it is not yet because number & analytics support the exact opposite of what you want to believe. The problem is now a load management one instead of the catastrophic collapse of a demi-god. Play less, play better.

DVG7

Mate, your two latest posts about this matter clearly show you do not really know what you are talking about, do you? You are just in love with your own idea, which is going to be right sooner than later, we all know... nevertheless, it is not yet because number & analytics support the exact opposite of what you want to believe. The problem is now a load management one instead of the catastrophic collapse of a demi-god. Play less, play better.
I’m not sure how you’ve managed to extrapolate feelings of mine based on me talking about average goals in different leagues, and a comment about how in the last month his output is somewhat diminishing in terms of measurable stats. Don’t confuse me with someone who has an agenda against a man who plays for the team you support.

MrEleson

Spot on post. His numbers have decreased since his move because of the way Juve play and utilise him not because of any decline.

He looked more fresh, nimble and motivated than ever in the last year before the issues he’s been having these last few weeks. Certainly in general play he has been a lot better than his last 2-3 seasons at Real.

MrEleson

That version of Ronaldo wouldn’t suit this Juve team because they don’t create chances for fun like that Madrid team did, neither do they move the ball as quick and fluid enough. They don’t have the creativity to have the luxury of him being there just to finish. This is why he’s currently being utilised as he is now ,which in my opinion will accelerate his aging as he’s doing too much at his advanced age.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Cristiano Ronaldo won't be punished by Juventus for his behaviour after being substituted in the 55th minute of their 1-0 win over AC Milan on Sunday.

The Portuguese was clearly unhappy with being withdrawn, and he walked straight down the tunnel while muttering something and even left the stadium for home before the match had ended.

Juventus want to throw cold water on the situation though without making much of a fuss and disrupting order at the club.

Cristiano won't face a fine, but he will be summoned to an informal meeting with Pavel Nedved and Fabio Paratici. The pair will attempt to convince him to apologise to his teammates and explain that this kind of attitude isn't helpful for the team.

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Nedved made contacted the No.7's agent Jorge Mendes on the night of the match to discuss the matter.

Meanwhile, the dressing room are awaiting an apology.

The Old Lady won thanks to Cristiano's replacement, Paulo Dybala, who scored the game's only goal with 13 minutes left to play.
Marca

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He scored 5 goals in 4 games in the R16 and QF in last season's CL, 1 less than in 17/18 and that extra goal was a penalty(a penalty that was the result of a clear dive and also 2 meters offside). Him not performing wasn't the reason they went out to Ajax...

And yes, he is in decline, and has been for a few years now. He's just old, can't be a difference maker week in week out in over 50 games. One reason why we got so much out of him in the last 2 seasons was by significantly reducing his appearances

SportingCP96

Supports
Load management is 100% the way to keep him pumping on all cylinders...nonetheless he has 13 goals this season so far and I would not bet against him hitting 30.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Since when are we counting international goals? Also looking at the Lithuania match wasn't it supposed to be an own goal yet they gave it to CR?

SportingCP96

Supports
Since when are we counting international goals? Also looking at the Lithuania match wasn't it supposed to be an own goal yet they gave it to CR?
Why would we not count international goals? They are part of the current season and are official matches are they not? Even when Ronaldos and Messi were banging n 60 a season international goals were part of that 60.

Also I believe Uefa attributed the goal to Ronaldo.

Status
Not open for further replies.