Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah, exactly. Which is the point she's making here. As I was saying, I get where she's coming from even though initially it could be seen as a hot take.

I can see why they did it, though. I agree with what you're saying here, but there's also a part of me that understands why they put so much into him. They've come close a few times to winning the Champions League, and the chance of adding an elite goal scorer to possibly get them over the line sort of made sense...I guess. Although, as you said, that money obviously should have been spread out. And now they have a problem. He cost them 100m Euros, and I think he earns four or five times more than the next highest-paid player in Serie A.
Yeah. I think it's a lot harder to make the jump from very good to great compared to going from mediocre to very good. That last 5% is the hardest to reach but is necessary to be successful. It's where United is at now IMO. It's important to recognize when you're dropping out of the very good range though and rebuild first before trying to jump to "great". Ronaldo is an all time great so of course there are few better at giving a club that extra bit, but if the rest isn't there... its not gonna happen.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He's been getting worse and worse at it.
Last 4 seasons 2 goals. Messi has 23 in all club competitions. I've seen people on reddit blaming the ball for it :lol:
It could be the ball design as I recall some goal keepers moaning about the new adidas ball for the world cup and Euro some time ago, and there were some spectacular goals from long distance with the ball doing weird trajectories. He also tries to score from very unfavorable positions or at least I think his knuckle balls work better from more frontal positions to the goal at medium range.

Ultimately I think is more due to his unorthodox shooting technique, it looks something like you need to strike the ball really hard so there's no much control. Messi has gotten better and better and uses a more traditional style but historically I think they should be tied as they've scored a similar number throughout their careers.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Without resorting to nonsensical arguments. The fact of the matter is that interms of goalscoring both Ronaldo and Messi are amongst the very best.

But, if you look at the quality of goals and quality of all round play outside the goals there is no doubting that Messi is the superior footballer. You'd have to biased to state otherwise.

Having said that, I respect Ronaldo a lot for what he has achieved in what can be termed as the 'Messi era'.

Success whether domestic or international depends more on the team. Neither are goalkeepers or defenders and neither can control conversion of chances by teammates. And in cup competitions luck plays a big part. As examples:
1.Ramos does not equalise vs Atletico twice, Ronaldo has 2 less champion league titles and ballondo'rs.
2.Higuain scores vs Germany, Messi has a world Cup and 1 more ballondo'r.
3.Portugals success in 2016 was much more about the team, the luck of the draw and luck within games. Messi, individually had a much better copa America but lost in a penalty shootout in the final.
4.Ronaldo played his part in this year's Euros but Portugal still went out early.

Conclusion: Messi is the better player unquestionably but Ronaldo deserves respect for his achievements.
IF I had wheels some metal doors and and engine I would be a car. Those examples you gave are just what if’s.

Also this is not the “Messi era” it is the Ronaldo and Messi era considering they have been rivals since day 1 with them basically being tit for tat the whole way through. None has been drastically better for it to be “there” era.

It’s funny when these claims are said because there is more of an argument of it being Ronaldo’s era as he hold many major records and trophies of them hardest comps and goals and performances in the biggest games more so then anyone else in this era.

However I would never say it is Ronaldo’s era because it’s both of them. Neither play would have been as great as they are without the other and that’s just fact.

Messi is the better player “unquestionably “ is also just a completely false statement because if that were true there would be no Messi vs Ronaldo debates.

Once again one could also say Ronaldo is unquestionably better as there is a strong case for it but no one who knows football would say that either one of them is Miles ahead of the other.

In a 1/10 rating if one of them is a 10 the other is a 9.9…… that’s how close they are.

In any all time great ranking if one is not right next to the other then that whole ranking is basically trash because they have been equal there whole career.

Obviously I feel Ronaldo is the superior player, the MJ of his sport if you will but Messi TO ME is right next to him just a half a step behind.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Juve would likely have won them 5 trophies without him, considering they won the last 7 league titles before Ronaldo joined and would have invested the 100m euros and big wages elsewhere.
It looks you are right but It doesn’t works like that though. For example Barca has won a lot prior but last 3 years they only won little, despite spending a lot on Griezman/Coutinho/Dembele/De Jong etc. We have won a lot during Fergie time but won feck all afterwards despite spending huge amount of money too. Even PSG fails to win league this season despite having the most expensive squad in the world.
There are many decline/depart/out of form of key players/manager comes to play, which makes it harder to draw such conclusion.

dinostar77

Reports from multiple Italian outlets saying that Ronaldo is going to extend his juventus contract by another year.

Great news, as hes too old for the PL.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Reports from multiple Italian outlets saying that Ronaldo is going to extend his juventus contract by another year.

Great news, as hes too old for the PL.
Is that what Juve and Allegri want?

mshnsh

IF I had wheels some metal doors and and engine I would be a car. Those examples you gave are just what if’s.

Also this is not the “Messi era” it is the Ronaldo and Messi era considering they have been rivals since day 1 with them basically being tit for tat the whole way through. None has been drastically better for it to be “there” era.

It’s funny when these claims are said because there is more of an argument of it being Ronaldo’s era as he hold many major records and trophies of them hardest comps and goals and performances in the biggest games more so then anyone else in this era.

However I would never say it is Ronaldo’s era because it’s both of them. Neither play would have been as great as they are without the other and that’s just fact.

Messi is the better player “unquestionably “ is also just a completely false statement because if that were true there would be no Messi vs Ronaldo debates.

Once again one could also say Ronaldo is unquestionably better as there is a strong case for it but no one who knows football would say that either one of them is Miles ahead of the other.

In a 1/10 rating if one of them is a 10 the other is a 9.9…… that’s how close they are.

In any all time great ranking if one is not right next to the other then that whole ranking is basically trash because they have been equal there whole career.

Obviously I feel Ronaldo is the superior player, the MJ of his sport if you will but Messi TO ME is right next to him just a half a step behind.
Going by your user name I'm not in the least surprised by your opinion. Anyway, the unbiased me thinks Ronaldo is an all time great but Messi has always been the better footballer.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Is that what Juve and Allegri want?
it's more what Ronaldo wants.
As there is no team in Europe willing to pay 29m for the player and him giving the asking wage.
He proposed to extend another year for less money
Instead of 60m for another year 80 but for 2years
He wanna go to World Cup which is in Christmas 2022

dinostar77

As there is no team in Europe willing to pay 29m for the player and him giving the asking wage.
So 40mil a season instead? Thats a 25% cut. Damn.

Zlatanator

I think if Messi wins Copa then he will get a shoutout for Ballon D'or which might push Ronaldo to a CL winning side. My prediction is Madrid or PSG at this moment.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Probably the only solution. Can’t see any other team being able to afford him currently.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What, Juve think they can score a fee? Where does that 29m figure come from? The way talk has been it's seemed as though Juve want to get him off the wage bill and rebuild with Allegri. Committing him to another year just seems a pretty bad cost saving exercise, but maybe that's not the plan after all.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Won't be too surprise if he is extending his contract for another year at Juventus. His only realistic option is PSG, but PSG has been linking up with about everyone lately - Messi, Pogba, Camavinga, Varane etc while they have also bought Ramos, Hakimi, and Donnarumma. Surely its just way too many for them. At least at Juventus, they have Allegri back, and Ronaldo is well settled in Italy too (top goalscorer), at this age, theres no immediate reason for him to leave this summer, Italy is good place for retirements, and he may not want too many changes just before the WC next year.

I do think moving to PSG would be his best option though, just for the better chances of scoring more goals and better chance for another CL trophy. But let's see.

Last edited:

Rojow

I think if Messi wins Copa then he will get a shoutout for Ballon D'or which might push Ronaldo to a CL winning side. My prediction is Madrid or PSG at this moment.
There's zero option for him going to Madrid. Perez himself told in Chiringuito that Ronaldo won't comeback to Madrid.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What, Juve think they can score a fee? Where does that 29m figure come from? The way talk has been it's seemed as though Juve want to get him off the wage bill and rebuild with Allegri. Committing him to another year just seems a pretty bad cost saving exercise, but maybe that's not the plan after all.
I don't know, Ronaldo is by far the biggest name in football and the whole sports world. His random sponsored post in Instagram alone earns him a easy 30-40m a year. Don't think Juventus would loss more money from his wage than the commercial revenues he would bring to the club.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
With all the talk about Messi's contract I think it would be also sensible for Ronaldo tu cut his wages significantly in order to give is team a chance to build a solid team that has chances of competing for the UCL. I think staying in Juventus is a good move but the team also needs reinforcements in other areas.

Flytan

With all the talk about Messi's contract I think it would be also sensible for Ronaldo tu cut his wages significantly in order to give is team a chance to build a solid team that has chances of competing for the UCL. I think staying in Juventus is a good move but the team also needs reinforcements in other areas.
He already makes only half of what Messi earns, it's part of why he left Madrid.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He already makes only half of what Messi earns, it's part of why he left Madrid.
Then fair play to him I guess, seems like covid is making it hard for every team outside of the Premier League.

Raredaredevil

Ronaldo's ego won't let him leave Italy like this, in Juve's worst season, almost missing out on the CL. He will stay one more season to finish out his contract, win the Scudetto and probably move to PSG to reunite with his old pal Ramos.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Ronaldo's ego won't let him leave Italy like this, in Juve's worst season, almost missing out on the CL. He will stay one more season to finish out his contract, win the Scudetto and probably move to PSG to reunite with his old pal Ramos.
Maybe he will actually just renew the contract, with reduced wages of course.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
and it’s a shame, he’s good enough to win another CL but it won’t happen with Juventus

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
and it’s a shame, he’s good enough to win another CL but it won’t happen with Juventus
The window opportunity for Juventus was the first season, when Ronaldo was still God-mode in CL-knockouts, they really let a golden opportunity to win CL that year slip.

Ronaldo isnt that good in the CL anymore now though.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yeh if he stays in Juventus, he won’t win CL again. But maybe at this stage of his career he is just planning for his retirement, with a few more domestic trophies and to extend his goals record further. Juventus is not a bad place for that, but just not a good place if he wants all spotlights from CL.

MrEleson

Yeh if he stays in Juventus, he won’t win CL again. But maybe at this stage of his career he is just planning for his retirement, with a few more domestic trophies and to extend his goals record further. Juventus is not a bad place for that, but just not a good place if he wants all spotlights from CL.
He said his main goal at Juve was to win the CL with them so I doubt he’s content just winning domestic trophies (although he will be delighted to be increasing his trophy tally there).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He said his main goal at Juve was to win the CL with them so I doubt he’s content just winning domestic trophies (although he will be delighted to be increasing his trophy tally there).
I just don’t see Juventus has any chance beating PL teams in CL, nor could they beat Bayern or PSG. If he really wants another CL he should move to PSG to have a better shot.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
29m is the money Ronaldo's is worth on Juventus books.
If Juventus release Ronaldo for free they're gonna lose 29m residual value in our books so it won't happen.
Whoever want Ronaldo will have to pay AT LEAST 29m.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Just out of history - wasn’t AC Milan the more CL winning team of Italy?

I had a feeling that since Allegri signed - Ronaldo might believe that the CL has the one more chance.

dinostar77

Just out of history - wasn’t AC Milan the more CL winning team of Italy?

I had a feeling that since Allegri signed - Ronaldo might believe that the CL has the one more chance.
AC Milan have the better record, 6 CL trophies to Juventus's 1.

Maybe there are no realistic options for ronaldo this summer and allegri is a very good tactician. Its not out of the realms of possibility that Allegri can manage Juventus to a CL final.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
AC Milan have the better record, 6 CL trophies to Juventus's 1.

Maybe there are no realistic options for ronaldo this summer and allegri is a very good tactician. Its not out of the realms of possibility that Allegri can manage Juventus to a CL final.
AC Milan 7 - Juventus 2

The problem with Milan is that they were extremely irregular in Serie A, now they aren't winning CLs to make up for their super inconsistency in the league.

bakalhau

If there was an award I didn't think he could grab, the European Golden Boot would be it. But well, he somehow did it. The stars aligned for this one.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Another awards for him.
Golden boot winner in Euro, and top goalscorer in Serie A. Still the best in the business in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.