Criteria Draft Round 1 - Chesterlestreet vs Paceme

Who would win this match where all the players are playing at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
we must be viewing football very differently if you think you have a classic pairing. Koscielny is a nothing defender & while Vidic is good, he is not good enough to compensate for the weakness of the rest of the defence.
You misunderstood what I mean. They compliment each other, regardless of your opinion of Koscielny's ability, in style.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Cheers Gio. In terms of style of play, from his later career I have him pegged as a deep lying playmaker type with class dribbling and passing, but inconsistent and a bit lazy. Is this a fair representation?
Aye that's fair. The reputations of Prosinecki like Hagi, and even Savicevic and Stojkovic, suffer from their somewhat patchy club careers after they moved west. All gifted but inconsistent, with Prosinecki and Hagi flitting from one club to the next. But they did a hell of a lot of good work before they left Red Star or Steaua. Hagi for example regularly rattled in 30 goals a season from midfield in Romania. The standard obviously was a bit poorer, but the gulf between the top and the minor leagues wasn't as pronounced as it is today, with Romania having a strong national team, Steaua and Red Star winning the European Cup, while Yugoslavia were one of the favourites for the 1990 World Cup and again for Euro '92. Same for Prosinecki - his peak was really what he produced at Red Star and there were some cock-out performances in there against the likes of Bayern Munich and Rangers.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
You misunderstood what I mean. They compliment each other, regardless of your opinion of Koscielny's ability, in style.
The point isn't a stylistic one, yes it's ball-player and hardman, but neither were the ones organising the defensive line. Every defence has a brain, you just picked the two that weren't the brains in their defences.

I wouldn't quite say they are brainless though, Vidic has it in him, and we've seen it when Rio isn't around, it's just Rio was so much better at it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I went with Chesterlestreet simply for that great front three that he has. Simply unstoppable players with Stoichkov, Ibrahimovic and Bergkamp with Prosinecki behind them :drool: Perfect blend of technique, creativity, flair, aggression and ruthlessness in that front three. Just brilliant...

Just curious about the positioning of Ibra, shouldn't he be behind Stoichkov since he is the more technical and creative player or did you place Stoichkov there for his pace and his left footedness?
Thanks for the vote, mate - and to answer your question, basically...yes. Sort of. His pace and his peg (though he could use the other peg too). I don't necessarily agree that Zlatan is the more creative of the two, though - Stoichkoiv is a bit of both, I think: both a very direct player and someone capable of creating - even in the form of "traditional" crosses, etc.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So, it was Reiziger, then? Seriously? Look at some of the other fullbacks sported in this draft.

I repeat: Reiziger is NOT a liability defensively. If anything he was - in his pomp - better defensively than offensively.

Ah well.

@antohan I may now reveal a shocking truth: Adams was a feck-up on my part. I went for him because I figured "Adams + Bergkamp = combo" without factoring the small detail that BOTH players had to have won the league elsewhere. I went for Walker early because of the non-Euro criterion (which most other managers have filled with what is basically a sheep) and because he was a brilliant defender in his pomp. In the years surrounding Italy 1990 Des Walker was a top class CB. He deteriorated after his stint with Sampdoria but he was top notch as a pure defender during his prime.

But. I had hoped to team him up with a more silky partner than Adams. I think the pair of them work, actually - but they look awfully heavy and English and full of pie and ale. And I know how the voters seem to like their formula-ridden pairing of "ball player and brick wall". So, yeah - that was a sheer feck-up. My plan was to trade Adams (who also met the ten seasons criterion and is, in a different partnership, UNDOUBTEDLY a first rate CB). Too clever by half, for one - and a bloody oversight to boot (I nearly fecked up in the same manner several times - thought I had a combo going, only to remember the "league elsewhere" caveat).

Thanks for the vote, though, mate - I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Thanks to all who voted for me - and congrats again to pace!

@Pat_Mustard

Re: Robert Pros. Yes, I'd say your assessment of him is fair enough - for his later years. But in his pomp (which has to be, as Gio correctly says, his Red Star period) he was much more dynamic. He was never "hard working" as such, he wasn't "lazy" either. He was a trickster, a cocky-as-hell dribbler, but with a purpose. He was, undoubtedly, a top class player for Red Star (pretty much the best team in Europe at the time) and he had the makings of a truly great player. The latter never came to fruition, though. He didn't handle the move to the west well.

Still, ask any Pompy fan about him - they're still in awe of his pure footballing technique down there.

antohan

So, it was Reiziger, then? Seriously? Look at some of the other fullbacks sported in this draft.

I repeat: Reiziger is NOT a liability defensively. If anything he was - in his pomp - better defensively than offensively.

Ah well.

@antohan I may now reveal a shocking truth: Adams was a feck-up on my part. I went for him because I figured "Adams + Bergkamp = combo" without factoring the small detail that BOTH players had to have won the league elsewhere. I went for Walker early because of the non-Euro criterion (which most other managers have filled with what is basically a sheep) and because he was a brilliant defender in his pomp. In the years surrounding Italy 1990 Des Walker was a top class CB. He deteriorated after his stint with Sampdoria but he was top notch as a pure defender during his prime.

But. I had hoped to team him up with a more silky partner than Adams. I think the pair of them work, actually - but they look awfully heavy and English and full of pie and ale. And I know how the voters seem to like their formula-ridden pairing of "ball player and brick wall". So, yeah - that was a sheer feck-up. My plan was to trade Adams (who also met the ten seasons criterion and is, in a different partnership, UNDOUBTEDLY a first rate CB). Too clever by half, for one - and a bloody oversight to boot (I nearly fecked up in the same manner several times - thought I had a combo going, only to remember the "league elsewhere" caveat).

Thanks for the vote, though, mate - I appreciate it.
:lol: Exactly what I found underwhelming there, but then, that wasn't too bad to try deal with Batistuta and Adams was after all a fecking great defender and defensive organiser (re: the point made earlier about brains). It's a shame as a manager he insists on coming across as a plonking dimwit, but on the pitch he was formidable.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Aye that's fair. The reputations of Prosinecki like Hagi, and even Savicevic and Stojkovic, suffer from their somewhat patchy club careers after they moved west. All gifted but inconsistent, with Prosinecki and Hagi flitting from one club to the next. But they did a hell of a lot of good work before they left Red Star or Steaua. Hagi for example regularly rattled in 30 goals a season from midfield in Romania. The standard obviously was a bit poorer, but the gulf between the top and the minor leagues wasn't as pronounced as it is today, with Romania having a strong national team, Steaua and Red Star winning the European Cup, while Yugoslavia were one of the favourites for the 1990 World Cup and again for Euro '92. Same for Prosinecki - his peak was really what he produced at Red Star and there were some cock-out performances in there against the likes of Bayern Munich and Rangers.
Thanks to all who voted for me - and congrats again to pace!

@Pat_Mustard

Re: Robert Pros. Yes, I'd say your assessment of him is fair enough - for his later years. But in his pomp (which has to be, as Gio correctly says, his Red Star period) he was much more dynamic. He was never "hard working" as such, he wasn't "lazy" either. He was a trickster, a cocky-as-hell dribbler, but with a purpose. He was, undoubtedly, a top class player for Red Star (pretty much the best team in Europe at the time) and he had the makings of a truly great player. The latter never came to fruition, though. He didn't handle the move to the west well.

Still, ask any Pompy fan about him - they're still in awe of his pure footballing technique down there.
Cheers lads, very interesting stuff. I must try to watch some of that Red Star team if there's any full matches knocking about online.

antohan

Cheers lads, very interesting stuff. I must try to watch some of that Red Star team if there's any full matches knocking about online.
Absolutely should. I actually didn't get to see much of them back in the day, but having gone back to watch Red Star games some time ago to reminisce on Savicevic, I distinctly remember thinking he was the key man in that side and didn't look at all like the Prosinecki I had seen first hand at Real and Barca. Always found him underwhelming for them relative to his form at international level, but once you factor in Red Star the gap is even more significant.