Criteria Draft Round 1 - KM/Stobzilla vs VivaJanuzaj/Crappycraperson

Who would win this match where all players were playing at their respective peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
And if Your keeper is a factor offensively then mine is one defensively, Van Der Sar is the archetypal "sweeper-keeper" and at his peak would be well positioned to deal with most balls over the top or in behind between him, Palli's size and speed and Ferraras quickness and positioning, I don't feel they are a factor

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
So we're adding long balls in as well ? Variety, I like it.

As Anto and myself have pointed out, there is no reason for me to get caught 3v3 my attack is capable of opening you up. If Sammer follows Zidane dropping back slightly and your defenders by instruction are already deep then you have Juan Veron marching into untold amounts of space probably one of the best players in this draft at doing so and making a chance.

And if Cocu tracks him back then you still have Balakov coming in off the left and Veron is more than capable of picking out any Robben or Sognori run either over the top:

Look how deep narrow and congested it is ;)

Or threading it through the middle.

Not losing that at the bottom of a page.

VivaJanuzaj

Long balls as in from defense to attack, not as in crosses. I said it earlier. We will almost never cross.

And how is Belakov even an issue? He's facing Lahm. A defender who is a couple of levels above him. I'm not scared of him one bit.
And yes, Veron can easily pin point passes, but not easily in a crowded defense like this. Again, our plan is to limit your chances. The difference between our attack and yours is that our attack needs less chances to score, I believe eventually we'll get a couple more chances than you will or somewhat the same, but we will have better finishing therefore score more.

Anyway two hours left, one vote in it. Vote people vote! ;)
Great match Stobz never enjoyed losing like that before :lol:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Long balls as in from defense to attack, not as in crosses. I said it earlier. We will almost never cross.

And how is Belakov even an issue? He's facing Lahm. A defender who is a couple of levels above him. I'm not scared of him one bit.
And yes, Veron can easily pin point passes, but not easily in a crowded defense like this. Again, our plan is to limit your chances. The difference between our attack and yours is that our attack needs less chances to score, I believe eventually we'll get a couple more chances than you will or somewhat the same, but we will have better finishing therefore score more.

Anyway two hours left, one vote in it. Vote people vote! ;)
Great match Stobz never enjoyed losing like that before :lol:
That, is just quite simply, not true. And I was referencing long balls, not crosses. Van Der Sar can easily clean most of those up at his peak. Adding the quickness and smarts if Ferrara and the same plus size of Pallister, it isn't that threatening to me. That is without factoring in Irwin's defensive nous and Aurier whose straight physical gifts against a wrong sided Kan-Kan would be less troubled than he would be against a Giggs for example.

Whilst I accept that straight passing chances may be limited you also have to factor in that a lot of my attacking players can create their own as well it is simply too good an attack to keep out if you are conceding possession and dropping off of them.

And I concur, this has been a fantastic game.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Am I right in thinking that the votes of me, stobz, viva and crappy won't count?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
You didn't see much of him, I gather.

This is a clear 2-1 or 3-1 for Stob in my book. The difference between 2-1 and 3-1 is what happens after he scores first, and when he does it. At any one point he looks the more likely to score and the more comfortable he is in the game the more stuck you are at the back, all-out defending, hoping to start a "counter" against a side that doesn't really need to commit men forward much at all.

Your only chance is scoring first and holding to that lead long enough that he becomes desperate and opens up to you scoring more. 1/10 games you would win, 2/10 you may be lucky enough to manage a draw, the other 7/10 you lose convincingly.

sajeev

yes!!! a team i voted for wins! so far most of them have lost.

VivaJanuzaj

:lol: I stand behind everything I said and our tactics, any other way it would've been a crushing defeat imo.
Congrats lads you formed a great team, I really think we could've beaten most teams! Was a great match

antohan

FOOTBALL WINS !!!!
Indeed. Congrats mate, nice side you've put together there. I'm starting to suspect all those all-ins, all-outs, or picking Yashin -i.e. a keeper- in a second round were just a ruse to lull your rivals into a false sense of security, ready to pounce when the time was right :devil:

antohan

:lol: I stand behind everything I said and our tactics, any other way it would've been a crushing defeat imo.
Congrats lads you formed a great team, I really think we could've beaten most teams! Was a great match
Yeah, yours wasn't a bad side and could have been much better actually taking the game to an opponent. You quite simply couldn't afford to here, unlucky draw.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Indeed. Congrats mate, nice side you've put together there. I'm starting to suspect all those all-ins, all-outs, or picking Yashin -i.e. a keeper- in a second round were just a ruse to lull your rivals into a false sense of security, ready to pounce when the time was right :devil:
That was my first large scale draft other than current day ones, I still didn't know the lack of value in goalkeepers, inexperience. It still baffles me how I went out so soon in the decades draft also. Oh well.

Fantastic game @VivaJanuzaj I feel it ended closer than it had any right to, but that is testament to your set up and write up.

antohan

That was my first large scale draft other than current day ones, I still didn't know the lack of value in goalkeepers, inexperience.
I know mate, it was fecking hilarious though. You looked like a kid with a new shiny toy having bagged the best keeper ever... and from Russia! Everyone was like "OK :confused:". I picked Dasayev at 9th instead, zero difference :lol:

It still baffles me how I went out so soon in the decades draft also. Oh well.
Was that the one you had Masopust in? Underrated midfield iirc.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I know mate, it was fecking hilarious though. You looked like a kid with a new shiny toy having bagged the best keeper ever... and from Russia! Everyone was like "OK :confused:". I picked Dasayev at 9th instead, zero difference :lol:

Was that the one you had Masopust in? Underrated midfield iirc.
Batistuta
Rivaldo - Pele
Masopust - Keane - Gerrard​

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I also don't understand why 'keepers aren't really rated in the draft. It's downright bizarre.

I always look at the defence when casting my vote. A tight ship at the back is worth its weight in gold, in my opinion.

antohan

Batistuta
Rivaldo - Pele
Masopust - Keane - Gerrard​
Yeah, that's the one. I could see how easily it switched from 3-2-1 to 2-3-1 with Gerrard drifting to the right, and I think it was technically correct to depict it like that but it looked like Pelé wasn't being best utilised and Keane was purely a holding midfielder, which is the sort of major own goal you should never score (at worst showing it as 4-2-3-1 people would just underrate Gerrard on the wing). The "weak link" was probably Masopust being completely overlooked, which is mind-boggling.

antohan

I also don't understand why 'keepers aren't really rated in the draft. It's downright bizarre.

I always look at the defence when casting my vote. A tight ship at the back is worth its weight in gold, in my opinion.
Sort of. If you look at the example above, the "distance" between Yashin and Dasayev isn't 2nd-9th pick as Rinat was a cracking keeper anyway. What is ridiculous is that having Buffon or Tavarelli makes little if any difference. I do take it into account when I see such a mismatch, or when the system/personnel requires a certain kind of keeper (e.g. Chilavert as sweeper-keeper with my Magyars, or Lama the panther making up for Koeman and whoever else it was not being aerial beasts).