Crowdless Isn't Fun

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This is a massive annoying factor. Really took this aspect for granted before, but it is bloody annoying. The game can completely pass you by if you're not paying proper attention now.
Yeah, you're completely reliant on the commentators to fake massive levels of excitement now, which they'd naturally do in a normal game as they bounce off the energy of the crowd.

The moment the City game became a procession, I wasn't particularly interested in watching, which, in normal circumstances, every time the energy of the crowd would have risen, I'd have popped my head up and seen the play through.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So many fannies in this thread :lol:

I Swear you don't even like the sport, just the piss up / day out and songs ?

Football is football whether it's on mute or with a angry crowd.

Yes the atmosphere provided by fans is a great priviledge of top class football, but go to any non league game and you don't have all that.

rollingstoned1

i usually watch games where we don't play over the weekend whether in england or abroad and usually don't have any reason to complain about it. i must admit i haven't been able to get into any of the bundesliga matches that have been on despite having a lot of time on my hands and football being on after some time. I'm not really that enthusiastic to watch any game we play in either if it's at stupid o clock right now. if that's being a wet blanket so be it.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Thought the Sky piped in noise was really good. Genuinely makes no difference whatsoever as to whether you have fans in a lot of modern stadium, if you can pipe noise in like that to provide some sort of atmosphere. Did the Etihad broadcast really miss something because of the lack of City fans last night? I get the argument in smaller, more intimate grounds, with more organically noisy fans, or with teams who have exceptional away support, but otherwise, it makes little difference to watching football on the TV in most games.

Obviously as a season ticket holder, I'd much rather be in the Stretford End than watching from home, but for watching games as a neutral, good production can cover for the lack of most crowds.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The fake noise is so cringe. I didn't know they were doing that until I tried to watch the first match. Just turned it off.

I'll watch the United match on mute.
No fake crowd noise option is on Sky Sports Premier League.

fps

Long term it would obviously be shit, but short term I actually find it novel to be able to hear the players/coaches etc shout to each other.
I prefer this to having fake crowd noise, because we're getting real passion, real communication, and yes it's rather interesting hearing them actually communicate. Of course I worry that exposing too much of how people in the football industry talk may have been a bit risky for the shiny TV companies.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I think they had a fake noise free broadcast too, on one of the other sky channels
For some reason Sky have three channels showing one game: Sky Main Event with the fake crowd noise, Sky PL with no artificial noise feed at all and Sky Football which had some ex players on the right hand side of the screen talking over the match as it happened.

Something for everybody.

I much preferred the no noise option. Loved listening to the coaches and players instructions at each other. Tyrone Mings for example was very vocal in their game which surprised me a little. And City playing their scintillating football made me feel like I was in a park watching them there.

I will be happy when real crowds return but in the meantime it's the first time ever I have seen top professional teams actually play at the very top level in the same atmosphere as I would in a park. :)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think watching other people being invested in something is a big component for a lot of people, yes. Didn’t say it was the key reason but without people there it is instantly on a level with any Olympic sport one can think of which has very small attendances, and people may start seeing it as just another option rather than the be all and end all.

No, not the main reason, but I didn’t say that, so there we are.
I'm a big Tennis watcher but there is no top level Tennis to watch atm so Football will have to do.

Edit: I actually listened to the City-Arsenal match on 5 live. You can really feel the difference then, sounds just like listening to a cricket match and no idea if player has scored/missed with lack of crowd reaction so commentary has to be really quick to inform the listener, something Sam Matterface is really bad at if people hear him on TS.

OleTheGreat

As a football fan for life, it definitely sucks not having a crowd and the fact that some of the big clubs have fans that create new songs every time they're in the stands is an aspect that cannot be recreated without them. La Liga teams have fake crowds banner which is much better than empty crowds but we should be very happy with the fact that the Premier League for scheduled to continue with the pandemic making it so hard for all of us. I'm very happy they're doing everything in their power to make things happen. I'm sure everything will get back to normal but it will take some time. I cannot imagine Champions League without a crowd and even though i'm a huge United fan all these years, i hate the fact that Liverpool after winning the league after 30 years cannot celebrate the victory with their fans. It's a huge loss for them and that seems merciless. Let's just take what we get and enjoy the games because our players know we're watching the games from whichever platform and they'll get the reviews of the games regardless of us not being there. You guys better perform for us because we can't wait to watch you guys score goals, support black lives and move on from this pandemic holding hands with us fans. Let's get that CL spot, Europa and the FA Cup. GGMU! (this is one that will play at OT regardless of anything else)

croadyman

I found that I didn't really notice the lack of crowd with the noise thing on Sky Sports Main Event,yes I realise it's not the same but definitely makes it a bit less quiet.

RyRoc

The problem is , 75% of Premier League football games are just ok. There's some interesting and good/ competetive football over the 90 minutes and there's some periods of games that can be dull. Now and again you get a terrible game that's extremely boring and unwatchable, now and again you get a very one-sided game which you can just about watch because usually the team winning is showing a high level of quality, and now again you get a fantastic match , both teams going at it and it being very closely contested.

But most of the games we watch are just ok but because of drama created by crowds they seem more watchable. For example the crow reaction to a bad decision, strong tackle, little scuffles that break out, subsitutions etc etc - these things create drama and that adds to the product of the Premier League and make us want to tune into it. Without that we are basically watching just ok football matches and that won't be enough for some. I think most will accept it for these few weeks as we are just relieved to see football but will be interesting to see how much the numbers drop if this carries on for the new season.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

Yes the atmosphere provided by fans is a great priviledge of top class football, but go to any non league game and you don't have all that.
What? Plenty of non-league football games have a great atmosphere. It's often miles better having a few hundred people standing together in a small ground than a half empty big all-seater.

Adam-Utd

What? Plenty of non-league football games have a great atmosphere. It's often miles better having a few hundred people standing together in a small ground than a half empty big all-seater.
Ok some do yes - but not all.

In my head I was talking more Sunday league type stuff anyway, the type you or me would play ourselves.

My point is football is about the game primarily, if you don't enjoy that without singing then you probably don't enjoy football that much.

DOTA

Ok some do yes - but not all.

In my head I was talking more Sunday league type stuff anyway, the type you or me would play ourselves.

My point is football is about the game primarily, if you don't enjoy that without singing then you probably don't enjoy football that much.
As other people have said, if you remove everything else it is just people kicking a ball around. I'm not ashamed to say that isn't itself very interesting to me. It's a bit interesting, as someone who themselves enjoys kicking a ball around but I certainly wouldn't watch a ninety minute training session every week. It needs the drama, the story and the emotion to actually be exciting to me and without crowds at matches and the fans in the pubs the social and cultural aspects that create those things takes a huge hit.

Adam-Utd

As other people have said, if you remove everything else it is just people kicking a ball around. I'm not ashamed to say that isn't itself very interesting to me. It's a bit interesting, as someone who themselves enjoys kicking a ball around but I certainly wouldn't watch a ninety minute training session every week. It needs the drama, the story and the emotion to actually be exciting to me and without crowds at matches and the fans in the pubs the social and cultural aspects that create those things takes a huge hit.
I get what you're saying but I guess we find other things exciting.

There was still plenty of drama and emotion with the goal line scandal, David Luiz being himself and Arsenal taking a thumping.

I personally watch the game for the ability shown, the goals and skills etc but I guess we are all different.

Did you enjoy the United v LASK game any less?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I like it. Makes me see and appreciate the touches more, somehow.

I suspect I’ll get sick of it and miss the atmosphere soon but for now it’s something new and interesting.

DOTA

Did you enjoy the United v LASK game any less?
That was the Europa League one we won easily? I only lasted the first half hour and then watched the highlights later. It was nice enough watching footballers I had an emotional connection to performing well but it didn't hold my attention well. In fairness it definitely didn't help that at the time it wasn't clear if the result was even going to mean anything or if the competition would be completely scrapped.

Adam-Utd

That was the Europa League one we won easily? I only lasted the first half hour and then watched the highlights later. It was nice enough watching footballers I had an emotional connection to performing well but it didn't hold my attention well. In fairness it definitely didn't help that at the time it wasn't clear if the result was even going to mean anything or if the competition would be completely scrapped.
Fair enough. I can see why a casual fan might not enjoy it but i'm a bit of a football purist/nerd :lol: Anyways I think we can both agree it'll be "better" when the atmosphere returns.

DOTA

Fair enough. I can see why a casual fan might not enjoy it but i'm a bit of a football purist/nerd :lol: Anyways I think we can both agree it'll be "better" when the atmosphere returns.
Can't wait. I'll try and get in to New Zealand rugby teams or something in the meantime.

Pughnichi

I actually quite like that you can hear managers and players talking to each other. Brings a new dimension to the game when watching at home

DOTA

I actually quite like that you can hear managers and players talking to each other. Brings a new dimension to the game when watching at home
I must admit I do find that bit interesting.

fps

I'm a big Tennis watcher but there is no top level Tennis to watch atm so Football will have to do.

Edit: I actually listened to the City-Arsenal match on 5 live. You can really feel the difference then, sounds just like listening to a cricket match and no idea if player has scored/missed with lack of crowd reaction so commentary has to be really quick to inform the listener, something Sam Matterface is really bad at if people hear him on TS.
Nice, tennis is my favourite sport as well. The US Open could be really weird if it goes ahead. Is Matterface one of those ones who talks a lot but doesn't give a clear picture?

Man-United

Hate it. Will only watch United, the rest I don't care about until crowd is back.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I agree it's not as fun, but people saying crowdless football is the same as no football or saying they have no pleasure watching this after months of boredom, maybe you're not that much of a football fan then?

DOTA

I agree it's not as fun, but people saying crowdless football is the same as no football or saying they have no pleasure watching this after months of boredom, maybe you're not that much of a football fan then?
Maybe. We are allowed to only like football quite a lot, rather than have it dominate our lives. It doesn't make us less than you nerds.

montpelier

Maybe the love has been reduced by it comprising of quite a lot of bollocks, including Liverpool winning the League and it has very little integrity.

Perhaps we are more discerning fans than the "I'll watch any old shite and love it" merchants.

BestRed

Not ideal, but I'll take it, can't wait to see the boys back in action tomorrow.
Just glad LVG isn't still running the show, now that would be no fun. :boring:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
So many fannies in this thread :lol:

I Swear you don't even like the sport, just the piss up / day out and songs ?

Well said!

A bunch of cry baby buntings because they can't have what they want, wah, wah, wah!

We're lucky to have any football at all, bunch of miserable cnuts.

DOTA

Well said!

A bunch of cry baby buntings because they can't have what they want, wah, wah, wah!

We're lucky to have any football at all, bunch of miserable cnuts.
I'm happy to own that we're being miserable cnuts but it's definitely the people who are getting all upset at us being miserable cnuts that are the cry babies in this thread. Let me have my quiet little moan in here so I can get it out my system and not pollute the rest of the forum.

Shark

@NotShark
Its less fun, yes. But its still alot better than no football....
Be happy its back and enjoy it.
It is, but I guess what some people are trying to say is that they'd have waited for the full experience back rather than a shadow of itself experience, which is understandable. Yes we've all missed the football but its not the same no matter how much Sky try to cover it up with backing tracks, the emotion is gone and that's vital to some.

Last edited:

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
It doesn’t matter much to me for this match because I’ll be with some friends watching a muted stream because one of them got us connected with NBC Sports to show us on their network or something.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
First game I’ve watched without a crowd where I actually cared about the result. Can confirm it’s just as joyless and bland an experience as the rest of them. I will probably watch the rest of United’s games but I sure as shit won’t be watching any others.

forevrared

I preferred Tottenham with fake noise to LASK without, but both were missing the intensity that comes with the energy supporters bring.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Gotta be honest... For long stretches of the game I totally forgot there wasn't a crowd.

Probably cos I was too invested /stressed out to notice... But yeah.

DOTA

I preferred Tottenham with fake noise to LASK without, but both were missing the intensity that comes with the energy supporters bring.
The fake noise definitely helps me.

I can't really have a serious opinion on how much I could've enjoyed the game because my internet has been woeful since lockdown started and didn't prove reliable enough for me to watch more than five minutes at a time, so my overall experience was frustration with that.

Robertd0803

Look on the bright side.

When Liverpool win the league, for the first time in 30 years, there won't be a single fan there to witness it live, to celebrate it. There'll be no scenes from pubs packed with their fans celebrating wildly. No crowd lined streets cheering an open top bus through the streets of Liverpool.

No, instead Liverpool fans experience of this title win, the first in many of their lives, will be them sat in front of a TV, watching something akin to a glorified preseason game, in an empty stadium listening to canned crowd noise.

In these tough times its the little things we need to take pleasure in!
Probably will be a lot of flouting restrictions when they do win is my bet.

Also someone else will get the blame for a spike in Covid cases in Liverpool a few weeks.