Crowdless Isn't Fun

Web of Bissaka

I get that but then isn't the football that matters the most, so.. Suck it up ?

It's similar to having a quiet boring crowd. We had plenty of that. I don't mind if the football still has soul but then we've experience plenty of soulless football during this post-saf so it doesn't make huge difference having crowd or not. Active crowd makes it better, as long as the football has soul.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Look on the bright side.

When Liverpool win the league, for the first time in 30 years, there won't be a single fan there to witness it live, to celebrate it. There'll be no scenes from pubs packed with their fans celebrating wildly. No crowd lined streets cheering an open top bus through the streets of Liverpool.

No, instead Liverpool fans experience of this title win, the first in many of their lives, will be them sat in front of a TV, watching something akin to a glorified preseason game, in an empty stadium listening to canned crowd noise.

In these tough times its the little things we need to take pleasure in!

wythyred

Bore off mate.. I and millions more around the world are happy to have the prem back.

Take your negativity elsewhere.

Kag

It’ll get better. It’s also preferable to the total collapse of English football. Don’t like it; don’t watch it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Would people honestly say the same if utd won all their remaining games? I feel like a lot of people would change their tune if Utd start well.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s obviously crap but better than no football at all. Given it’s only temporary I can get past it easily enough.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Look on the bright side.

When Liverpool win the league, for the first time in 30 years, there won't be a single fan there to witness it live, to celebrate it. There'll be no scenes from pubs packed with their fans celebrating wildly. No crowd lined streets cheering an open top bus through the streets of Liverpool.

No, instead Liverpool fans experience of this title win, the first in many of their lives, will be them sat in front of a TV, watching something akin to a glorified preseason game, in an empty stadium listening to canned crowd noise.

In these tough times its the little things we need to take pleasure in!
It really is glorious to be honest. I'm sure they'll still line the streets but it won't be anything like the same. Some timing.

ShinjiNinja26

What were people expecting exactly? Of course it’s not going to be the same, we’re in the middle of a global pandemic and this is currently the only way to safely play the game. There’s no point moaning about something you can’t change, it’s not like it’s being done through choice. At least be happy we get to watch United again even if it is under these shitty circumstances.

jungledrums

I think watching other people being invested in something is a big component for a lot of people, yes. Didn’t say it was the key reason but without people there it is instantly on a level with any Olympic sport one can think of which has very small attendances, and people may start seeing it as just another option rather than the be all and end all.

No, not the main reason, but I didn’t say that, so there we are.
No. You just implied it.

Anyway, the point of this thread is that people seemingly aren’t enjoying it... so they’ve even less chance of appreciating other sports with ‘very small attendances’.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
I wasn't overly arsed about the City game tonight but I found a stream and watched it out of habit of being a life long football fan. Bored me, just felt stale and didn't get the same enjoyment that I would have pre Covid.

I think the only games I'm gonna bother to watch in full are United games or big games with something riding on them. Youtube highlights will do me for the rest

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
It really is glorious to be honest. I'm sure they'll still line the streets but it won't be anything like the same. Some timing.
Will there even be a presentation of medals :confused:

Can hardly be done while observing social distancing!

I'm starting to believe the legions of Chinese Utd supporters are behind this entire thing!

Devil may care

I think it's repulsive that all this money is being wasted so a bunch of rich cnuts can get richer, and I'm not talking about the players. My nieces still can't hug their grandparents or play together without being 6 feet apart, I can't see my Mom in her care home but hey, lets make sure these clubs get that TV money, I just wish they wouldn't act like it's "For the nation"...feck off, the other leagues below got canned because hardly anyone watches those games, it's about greed, nothing more.

I watched the 2 CL games before the lockdown and it was trash, it was only watchable for United's game because I'm invested in the team. Like most football fans though I'm a hypocrite, as much as I despise the PL, Sky and BT in this whole farse, I'll watch United's games, but I wont be bothering with any of the other matches.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's weird how it relies on the crowd so much to make it feel like it's a big event that's worth watching. It really is just a bunch of twats kicking a ball around in a field otherwise isn't it?
:lol:

PieCrust

The fake noise is so cringe. I didn't know they were doing that until I tried to watch the first match. Just turned it off.

I'll watch the United match on mute.

edcunited1878

A decent amount of people on here could do without the actual crowd and natural noise which would, maybe, help them understand wtf is going on on the pitch from a United POV.

But then if you're only used to FIFA or FM and not the actual thing, then you cannot be helped.

The lack of a crowd or noise doesn't matter the fact that this is real competition and results count more than the jeers or boos. We want to see United or whomever you support win and pick up results. Never take for granted the opportunity to watch the PL or your favorite team play, even if they are shite.

Thiagoal

i think BCD football separates the true football fanatics from the partial observers! I’m personally loving seeing football again and have missed it massively over the last few months!

if you’re one of those that’s saying they’d rather it not come back without fans then clear off and don’t watch it then! No true fan cares!

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Its definitely a bit weird but I dont really get those saying it spoils the enjoyment. Surely you watch football because you like football? What difference does a bunch of strangers sat in the stadium have?

bdecuc

I've no problem with the quiet. To be honest I usually watch football with the sound down anyway. Football's a good game to watch just as the visual of what's happening on the pitch. The crowd noise, the inane and often biased and over-inflated commentary and all the hyping of the 'product' that goes on I can't be doing with.

matsdf

I don't really mind there being no crowd. Probably easier for the referees as well, which makes it a fairer game.

RoyH1

This

Crowded football >>fake crowded football >>>no crowd football >>>>>>>no football
This.
Agree. I'm not crazy about seeing those empty stands and the phoney background noise can be a bit cringe sometimes, but it beats having no football at all. And having people in the stands is a big no go until the pandemic is under control worldwide.

Skills

Snitch
On another note, I think we'll be one of the beneficiaries of crowdless football. Can see the players opening up a bit and taking more chances/risk without the constant groaning of the OT crowd whenever someone dares to lose the ball.

Josh 76

On another note, I think we'll be one of the beneficiaries of crowdless football. Can see the players opening up a bit and taking more chances/risk without the constant groaning of the OT crowd whenever someone dares to lose the ball.
Good point.
You hear a lot of players who are great in training but are not able to take that form into match days.

Might see a new Jessie Lingard. :)

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Will there even be a presentation of medals :confused:

Can hardly be done while observing social distancing!
Not sure, but if you looked at Napoli's celebrations after the final whistle yesterday and their trophy presentation, social distancing within the team is dead.

On topic: I didn't get to watch the PL games with fake crowd noise yesterday but the Bundesliga games I've watched with it have been great. If you just focus on the football instead of constantly trying to find a 1-second lag in the crowd's reaction, you don't even notice it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not sure what’s going to be most annoying in the next few weeks, the spanners who argue that anyone who dares point out football is shit without fans shouldn’t watch the football, or Liverpool fans desperately trying to pretend this charade is basically just as good as the real thing.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I enjoyed the Arsenal game.

If you don’t like it just don’t bother watching. It’s Obviously not for everyone.

montpelier

To me, this issue only feels like a problem in TV land when the massive games start to come around. And I don't see too many of those anyway.

I can't get motivated to get excited about any of it. I'd rather Utd do well than don't, and that's about it.

They're right to try and get it done probably. Which I think they will now. I don't really rate their chances of completing next season on this basis though.

So, all things together, with crowdless-ness down the list I think. I'm a knob.

fps

No. You just implied it.

Anyway, the point of this thread is that people seemingly aren’t enjoying it... so they’ve even less chance of appreciating other sports with ‘very small attendances’.
Sorry to be pedantic, but no, I did not imply that I thought it was the main reason, that’s incorrect.

You’re right on the other point though.

CallyRed

Feels weird but I'll take it. Cant have football out of my life for this long again.

It made me laugh when Martin Tyler did his ‘and it’s live’ at the start. The whole stadium must have heard him.

Judas

Open to offers
Ask this question again on Friday night if we've battered Spurs, probably get some different answers.

It's pretty crap, but if we finish the season well I know I'll have been glad we've had it this way, fickle feckers most of us.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's terrible, especially so if it's not your team, as you may be casually watching the game having it on in the background, and without noise inference from the crowd, you've no real indicators of when something entertaining has happened, at which point in normal games you'd have fully switched your attention to the onscreen action.

The few games I've seen with artificial noise felt more inclusive and deceptive to the senses, and if it's a selectable option for the PL games, I'll definitely be opting for that over what we had yesterday.

Flexdegea

Not this again, ffs, ask yourself, would you rather no football at all? Because, that's the alternative. Stop fecking moaning, I've never seen anything like it.

Yeah honestly it would rather the season be done with.

The crowd noises is an improvement but the experience is brutal to be honest.

No real home or away teams, intensity dropped off massively and looks like a more skilled glorified 6 a side match on a thursday night down the local pitches.

Its basically just filling a void as nothing else is live on TV.

How strange is the FA cup final going to be in empty Wembley stadium. Especially if you win it. This is what the liverpool team have in store for premier league, sort of funny.

Judas

Open to offers
It's terrible, especially so if it's not your team, as you may be casually watching the game having it on in the background, and without noise inference from the crowd, you've no real indicators of when something entertaining has happened, at which point in normal games you'd have fully switched your attention to the onscreen action.

The few games I've seen with artificial noise felt more inclusive and deceptive to the senses, and if it's a selectable option for the PL games, I'll definitely be opting for that over what we had yesterday.
This is a massive annoying factor. Really took this aspect for granted before, but it is bloody annoying. The game can completely pass you by if you're not paying proper attention now.

SirAF

Ageist
Long term it would obviously be shit, but short term I actually find it novel to be able to hear the players/coaches etc shout to each other.