Crystal Palace 21/22

They've made some good signings so far, Olise, Guehi, Andersen and Gallagher all young players with potential. Plus they have a young new manager in Vieira. Its exciting times if you're a palace fan, where do we think they'll finish this season?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Mid table. There’s just so much competition in the league currently in the top 8 or 9. They won’t be in the relegation fight and in theory they should improve season upon season with the youth centred approach. I’ll be following them keenly this year.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There's a lot of unknown potential about them. They'll definitely be an interesting team to follow next season.

Superden

Putting together an interesting squad, mid table is getting more and more competitive..

mancsarered

I'm not at all convinced by the appointment of Vieira, and don't think there's anything on his CV besides his own playing career that warrants excitement for Palace fans. Maybe name recognition of a Premier League legend will help with recruitment, but if he doesn't get results and they're in a relegation battle, that value will fade immediately.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'm not at all convinced by the appointment of Vieira, and don't think there's anything on his CV besides his own playing career that warrants excitement for Palace fans. Maybe name recognition of a Premier League legend will help with recruitment, but if he doesn't get results and they're in a relegation battle, that value will fade immediately.
This.
OK at NY City, pretty decent start at Nice then the rot set in.

If he achieves what Woy did, then they should be happy

Giggs' right foot

I’ve been defending and praising Roy for basically his whole stint at Palace, much to many’s confusion, but I do think he did a great job. In his time at Palace they had one of the leagues lowest net spends, often being x10 outspend by the yearly promoted teams, and yet they’ve never been in much relegation danger.

The football has been poor and uninspiring at best, but Roy’s achievement of keeping Palace in the league with such small budgets and spending, have enabled the club to for example revamp their stadium with around £75-mil-£100mil. which to my knowledge is being worked on now.

To the Palace fans over the years moaning about the Hodgson period, I’ve always held a sorta “Be careful what you wish for” stance - I very much could see them free fall and get relegated in a year or two, and when that happens, you never know when you’ll see the PL again.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I’ve been defending and praising Roy for basically his whole stint at Palace, much to many’s confusion, but I do think he did a great job. In his time at Palace they had one of the leagues lowest net spends, often being x10 outspend by the yearly promoted teams, and yet they’ve never been in much relegation danger.

The football has been poor and uninspiring at best, but Roy’s achievement of keeping Palace in the league with such small budgets and spending, have enabled the club to for example revamp their stadium with around £75-mil-£100mil. which to my knowledge is being worked on now.

To the Palace fans over the years moaning about the Hodgson period, I’ve always held a sorta “Be careful what you wish for” stance - I very much could see them free fall and get relegated in a year or two, and when that happens, you never know when you’ll see the PL again.
Good post.

What's the early pre season view on Vieria? If he's pragmatic and doesn't try and play some expansive football then I think you'll be OK.

Giggs' right foot

Good post.

What's the early pre season view on Vieria? If he's pragmatic and doesn't try and play some expansive football then I think you'll be OK.
Not a Palace supporter, so I haven’t got that much of a clue, but here and there I nibble through other clubs forums, and last I checked Palace’s it was very mixed. Some call it a huge gamble (I agree) and hope for just mere survival, others are over the moon over his huge reputation and their signings, thinking mid table is a realistic target (I really don’t think that).

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
@FootyGirl88 is definitely a closet Palace fan :D

For me our transfer business has been/is even more important to get right this summer than the Manager, another season of low spending would have definitely seen us relegated regardless of who we appointed. I am liking what we have done so far (especially Andersen) but I will reserve any predictions until we’ve completed our business, there’s still talk of another defender, a winger and a striker to come in yet.

Vieira wouldn’t have been my choice for Manager but he seems to be putting a decent team around him including some appointments from the City Group and PSG, so that’s a positive at least. I don’t think you’ll see an all-out attacking Palace but certainly one that is more positive in possession and plays through the thirds a little more than Roy’s team. We have a tough start so it’ll be in to November before we start to get a proper feel for how he’s doing. Promising early signs though.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The key to any Vieira success will be securing a strong starting defence. Plus trying to get a decent bench that can give a key players a bit of rest at times. He does that he should be alright
Anderson and Kabak wouldnt be bad

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Good post.

He's never been a pragmatic manager. Wherever he's gone, he's stubbornly played attacking football even if his team kept leaking goals. It's that stubbornness that saw him fail to reach his previous clubs' goals. His Palace team will play good football, but I think that'll be to the detriment of their defence. He'll need to make sure that they don't concede too many goals if he's to have a chance at remaining at Palace.

CallyRed

Don't worry. Big Sam will be in by November to steady the ship.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
All I want to know is where are Palace getting their goals from? Benteke has his new contract, so expect him to go back to his form from his first three and a half years at Palace and Eze is out with an achilles for most of the season, no?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
All I want to know is where are Palace getting their goals from? Benteke has his new contract, so expect him to go back to his form from his first three and a half years at Palace and Eze is out with an achilles for most of the season, no?
Jean-Philippe Mateta's the one to watch out for. When he gets going, he can score goals consistently.

redrobed

I hope, and think, they stay up at least. I don’t think their ambition goes much further than that, nor necessarily should it. They’ve largely done things the right way and I think I’m right in saying they’ve spent even less than us in recent years. Just goes to show it’s not all about money.

Cloud7

I hope Viera does well, so that we can see more young managers getting a chance, rather than the old, tired, recycled names.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I hope, and think, they stay up at least. I don’t think their ambition goes much further than that, nor necessarily should it. They’ve largely done things the right way and I think I’m right in saying they’ve spent even less than us in recent years. Just goes to show it’s not all about money.
When you say us, Does that mean Manchester United ?
To say that Palace have spent less than Man Utd is a bit of an understatement

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I wonder if Vieira does well, he’ll have an eye on the Arsenal job.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He's never been a pragmatic manager. Wherever he's gone, he's stubbornly played attacking football even if his team kept leaking goals. It's that stubbornness that saw him fail to reach his previous clubs' goals. His Palace team will play good football, but I think that'll be to the detriment of their defence. He'll need to make sure that they don't concede too many goals if he's to have a chance at remaining at Palace.
I'm confused - this is what @JPRouve said about his period managing Nice:
Conservative, defense first. To be honest I didn't like it at all and tried to avoid watching them as much as possible. He seemed to like 3 man defenses but eventually settled with a defensive 433.
That's pretty much a direct contradiction. Are you talking about the same manager?

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'm confused - this is what @JPRouve said about his period managing Nice:

That's pretty much a direct composition. Are you talking about the same manager?
I'll admit, I only caught one or two Nice matches when Vieira was managing them, and from what I saw, they did seem to play more on the counter, but I wasn't necessarily sure if that was his main approach. In both NYCFC and City's reserve side, he'd play more proactive, attacking football, almost to the detriment of his own team.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
They've went from 1 of the most boring teams for me to watch to 1 of the teams I'm most looking to watch now.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Took me a couple of days to realise you were a fan of these lot. (Basically, by ramming their transfers down everyone's throats, despite no one being the slightest bit interested)

We act for a couple of their players occasionally get some tickets.

Relegated.
Could be, without Roy, but I expect there will be 3 worse teams than them this season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Joachim Andersen is brilliant pick up. Makes sense given they've released Cahill and Sakho but thought he'd end up at Spurs.

Olise interesting. Highly rated at Reading and seems to have similar style to Eze who'll be missed.

As ever with Palace it comes down to how arsed Zaha is. He turns up for 20 games, they'll stay up and finish in usual 14th position.

Canuckred64

Zaha has to be a key here, if he's happy and plays well, Palace could stay up pretty comfortably, but if he still wants to go and sulks it could be a long season. Plus they don't have the easiest schedule to start the season. They need a couple of good results early to boost their confidence.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Are Palace planning on getting another CF? Can't see Zaha getting enough goals himself to keep them up and I don't think Benteke's end of season form was anything but playing for a contract/a purple patch.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Not only that, but he's also a director and partner of the club. I wonder if that means that he'll be involved on the footballing side of things like Steve Parish is. His quotes make it seem like he was really intrigued by Crystal Palace despite having already invested in a stake in Benfica.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I thought Vieira came across pretty poorly during his time as a pundit in the Euros. Didn't really offer anything insightful and was about as charismatic as my bacon sandwich. It's probably not fair for me to judge his managerial prowess by how he comes across on TV, but I'm not fair. I think he's going to bomb big time.

Not only that, but he's also a director and partner of the club. I wonder if that means that he'll be involved on the footballing side of things like Steve Parish is. His quotes make it seem like he was really intrigued by Crystal Palace despite having already invested in a stake in Benfica.
interesting thread if you click on tweet to read it.