Kick-off
Thu, 16 July 2020 @ 8:15pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

dogwithabone

My old man was there for the 5-0 and talks about it even now. Still maintains Don Rogers was better than George Best as well :lol:
    When was that 5-0 ? As a little kid I can remember watching it on The Big Match, the ITV version of MOTD on a Sunday afternoon. I‘d guess around 1971/72 ?

Shipperley

Supports
    CPFC
    He has two good years there, scoring 13 goals in 26 appearances that year, and scored the Goal of the Season the following season, and he's got a Stand named after him at Swindon Town where he made his name ....

Dads, don't you just love 'em ;)
    Sure do! Don set up a little sports shop in Swindon after he retired and is still running it well in to his 70s. My Dad actually contacted him during lockdown and mentioned his memories of the 5-0 (among other things) and Don sent him a nice reply about how he still looks out for our results and how he still has great memories of that day. My old man was buzzing :lol::lol:

Last edited:

Shipperley

Supports
    CPFC
    When was that 5-0 ? As a little kid I can remember watching it on The Big Match, the ITV version of MOTD on a Sunday afternoon. I‘d guess around 1971/72 ?
    Yeah the game was December 1972 so I think it would be the 72/73 season. 48 years ago!

lenny_1248

-----------------------De Gea-----------
    AWB----Lindelof----Maguire---Shaw/Williams
    ------------------------Fred--------------
    ----McT----------------------------Pogba------
    ----------------------Bruno-----------------
    Rashford---------------------Martial--

MiracleInMadrid

Have been very nervous about todays match. But I have settled with the fact that if we can't muster wins against Southampton and Palace, then we have no business beeing in the CL. If we qualify for the CL we will be forced to do whatever we can to perform well there, which might cost us in the league. And if we are struggling to be consistent in the league, then a bunch of high stake CL-matches will cost us in the league. In the EL we can accept fielding youngsters and squad players, but in the CL we cannot risk an embarrasment against the other top teams of Europe.

What I am trying to say is that if we don't win today, we are simply not ready to be a top 4 team yet.

youngrell

Pathetic how fans have now started lumping James and McTominay in with their usual ‘deadwood’ list all of a sudden.

James has been struggling but that was expected at some stage, way too early to write him off completely.

That said, not sure tonight is the right game for him if Palace plan to sit deep.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Marcus on the right, I know it’s not his best spot but he could exploit any gaps left by PvA as well as keeping him from going forward too much.

DRM

Didn't realise this game was today so a whole 2 days rest after the soton game!! That's going to be a huge factor and no way will we be in top form. This is going to be painful

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    Exactly. Palace are going to park the bus and hit us on the break. Dan James is a complete and utter passenger in these games. He's totally ineffective with no space to run into. It's no coincidence he's played some of his best games versus Liverpool n City this season.

If Mason isn't fit I'd be tempted to play Igahlo up top with Martial left AND Rashy right just for this one. Someone who can keep the ball and hold it up will be vital. Martial n Rashford will still get chances on goal from wide forward. They always do.

If we play 4231 with James it's going to be a bad night I fear.

Adamsk7

Very nervous about this one, which is a good thing I guess because we actually have something to play for.

I just feel we have burned ourselves out. If we beat them, it’s going to be scrappy.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
    Pathetic how fans have now started lumping James and McTominay in with their usual ‘deadwood’ list all of a sudden.

James has been struggling but that was expected at some stage, way too early to write him off completely.

That said, not sure tonight is the right game for him if Palace plan to sit deep.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Marcus on the right, I know it’s not his best spot but he could exploit any gaps left by PvA as well as keeping him from going forward too much.
    Good post.

theklr

Exactly. Palace are going to park the bus and hit us on the break. Dan James is a complete and utter passenger in these games. He's totally ineffective with no space to run into. It's no coincidence he's played some of his best games versus Liverpool n City this season.

If Mason isn't fit I'd be tempted to play Igahlo up top with Martial left AND Rashy right just for this one. Someone who can keep the ball and hold it up will be vital. Martial n Rashford will still get chances on goal from wide forward. They always do.

If we play 4231 with James it's going to be a bad night I fear.
    Think its better with Mata . He has a good understanding with Bruno and have good passing for those tight blocks.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    Think its better with Mata . He has a good understanding with Bruno and have good passing for those tight blocks.
    Not convinced by Mata at all anymore. He's not up the pace of PL football these days.

I'd play him at Wembley and rest the big players. The FA cup would be nice to win but if we win it and don't make the CL everyone will be gutted. And our transfer budget will be Zero.

The scheduling this week for the semi finals and league games beforehand has been a total joke. Chelsea have a huge advantage with 2 more days to rest and prepare.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    I was very nervous for the Southampton game as they are actually a really good team but I have to say I’m not to concerned about Palace. They appear to have mentally checked out and I don’t think they will trouble is anywhere near as much as Southampton. I think we will come out comfortable winners, 3/4 nil.

Dan_F

I think we’ll see the same back 3 with whoever is fit to play left back. McTominay has to come in for Matic and I think Ole will just go with Pogba and Bruno again, even though it would probably be wise to go with fresh legs in Fred.

If Bruno is playing I would be tempted to play Mata on the right. They seemed to have a good connection before lock down and Palace will sit deep.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
    De Gea

AWB
    Maguire
    Lindelof
    Williams

Fred
    Pogba
    Bruno

Mata
    Martial
    Rashford

Would be my team. This is the perfect game for Mata to come in if Greenwood has a knock. Palace will sit deep so don't think James will be of much use to start but would be perfect when we hopefully get a goal or two up and the game opens up in the 2nd half.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
    Think the last time I was this nervous about a football match was when Norway got a penalty against Brazil, score 1-1 at the 98' France world cup and they had to beat the reigning world champions to go through. Had to go out in the streets and just wait it out since I couldn't stand to watch it. That relief when I hear people everywhere screaming.

Oldyella

Hes not deadwood and I wouldn't sell him, but he is seriously out of form and looked awful recently. Wouldn't have him starting or even coming on if we can avoid it. Start with a 2 up top or Ighalo if we want to play a 3.

hubbuh

It really doesn't seem fair that Chelsea played their game 2 days ago, a day after we played the Saints, in the run up to Sunday. The players are going to be fecked!

Trex

De gea
    Bissakka Lindelof Maguire Williams
    Pogba Mcsause
    Mata Fernandes Rashford
    Martial
    I'll bring Greenwood in as a sub due to his ankle discomfort, I feel Mata is a better alternative in this kind of games to James
    I'll rest Matic he played 90 mins last time out and and has started to many games lately, all of Pogba,Fernandes,Martial and Rashford must start to guarantee victory

hubbuh

Who said McTominay was deadwood?!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
    Scout
    I think Ole will go with McTominay, Pogba, Bruno midfield. We need height to defend set pieces, something McTominay offers. Fred is better option but I think McTominay will start.

Greenwood, Shaw, Williams are all doubtful and Ole said he will give as much time as possible to make decision. I think one of the LB will play and James will start as RW.

TheLord

Every match is so crucial for the Champions League qualification.

If both United and Leicester lose tonight, Chelsea automatically qualify, and the final match between United and Leicester will essentially be a one-match playoff for CL qualification.

youngrell

Who said McTominay was deadwood?!
    I've seen a few posts over the last few days putting McTominay in a list of players to keep out of the side along with Mata, Lingard, Andreas and James.

It seems to some people, anyone who isn't in the first XI is no good and/or surplus to requirements. Unbelievable attitude.

Siorac

Every match is so crucial for the Champions League qualification.

If both United and Leicester lose tonight, Chelsea automatically qualify, and the final match between United and Leicester will essentially be a one-match playoff for CL qualification.
    Not necessarily. I mean, it's staggeringly unlikely but if:

- United and Leicester lose tonight
    - They both win next week against West Ham and Spurs, respectively
    - Chelsea lose both their games
    - United and Leicester draw in the final round...

...then all three teams will end up on 63 points and Chelsea lose out on goal difference.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I've seen a few posts over the last few days putting McTominay in a list of players to keep out of the side along with Mata, Lingard, Andreas and James.

It seems to some people, anyone who isn't in the first XI is no good and/or surplus to requirements. Unbelievable attitude.
    The Caf has always been divided on Mctominay though. I personally don't rate him but I like him

Infra-red

Very nervous about this one, which is a good thing I guess because we actually have something to play for.

I just feel we have burned ourselves out. If we beat them, it’s going to be scrappy.
    Scrappy is fine. A single goal scored by a Palace goalkick rebounding off Rashford's bum, is fine. We just need the three points!

pauldyson1uk

-----------------------De Gea-----------
    AWB----Lindelof----Maguire---Shaw/Williams
    ------------------------Fred--------------
    ----McT----------------------------Pogba------
    ----------------------Bruno-----------------
    Rashford---------------------Martial--
    Neither should play, Show need time to rest the ankle and Willams with a head injury should be give plenty of rest.

redshaw

Mctom was doing very well pre covid but all the second string have looked poor when coming on.

It's a worry that the sparkling first team is tired and any of the other players are not up to the task so far.

Just hope Palace aren't as pumped to take a point off us and come in with the flying challenges and no protection from the ref.

Last edited:

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
    I like the idea of a McTominay / Fred / Bruno / Pogba midfield.

It reinvigorates the midfield in terms of energy while allowing us to keep our creativity.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 333 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw