Wed, 27 September 2017 @ 7:45pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Havak

Pokemon master
    Baffled that Shaw isn't included in the squad for this. Doesn't really look good for him when we have half the team out injured and unable to travel
    The kind of players José has left out makes this a bit more logical IMO. Valencia has been taking injections to help him play through with a long-standing knee injury. Phil Jones is very injury prone and Shaw has had a horrible time with injuries and only played 45 minutes this season - we have good squad options at Left Back in Darmian and Blind who are more up to speed and this is a game we really need to come away with a result in. The pitch, colder conditions and importance on the game is why taking a player like Shaw isn't the right call. He's got more of a chance of being on the bench on Saturday, then after the international break I expect he might be given game time against Swansea in the League Cup too.

Obviously, on the contrary, Tuanzebe is in the squad and Shaw isn't after he's also barely played, but the difference is probably that he's played more reserve games and is a bit fitter right now. He can also play in a couple more positions than Luke, but hopefully this does spur Shaw on a bit as he surely won't like to see Tuanzebe and McTominay selected ahead of him in important matches. José may be looking for a reaction there.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
    Don't know, I just don't see a reason to be overly defensive tonight. I don't even have a clue about how good Cska are right now though, they might be dangerous.
    Well, they just beat Benfica away and our manager tells us it's the best CSKA he ever faced (he's perhaps exaggerating), so…

Janson

Well, they just beat Benfica away and our manager tells us it's the best CSKA he ever faced (he's perhaps exaggerating), so…
    Yeah, it could be possible he'll go for three at the back, in that case Lingard could be used as a wingback. I don't see him using Darmian as wingback so it would have to be between Blind, Young and Lingard for both spots. If I'm not forgeting anyone else who could play there.

tomaldinho1

I reckon it's a three at the back job - they're at home and should be leaving a few gaps at the back for our pacey lads.

Havak

Pokemon master
    I understand, but I don't believe we're going 4-2-3-1 tonight, maybe I'm wrong.
    I've been debating this all week(end) too. Especially since Carrick and Fellaini were ruled out. McTominay is in the squad but I guarantee he doesn't start and I don't think we'll see Lindelof or Blind used in a midfield role either. So, it's either three at the back or 4231 to start the game. Decided to go with 4231 in my prediction, so we're probably going to start with three at the back :lol:

I'm just hoping José is willing to go for the attack early on then switch to a defensive approach if we get the goal(s), a bit like the Southampton game. Lingard, Martial, Lukaku with Mata/Mkhitaryan behind, with one of the offensive players subbed for a Centre Back after 60-70 minutes.

Janson

I've been debating this all week(end) too. Especially since Carrick and Fellaini were ruled out. McTominay is in the squad but I guarantee he doesn't start and I don't think we'll see Lindelof or Blind used in a midfield role either. So, it's either three at the back or 4231 to start the game. Decided to go with 4231 in my prediction, so we're probably going to start with three at the back :lol:

I'm just hoping José is willing to go for the attack early on then switch to a defensive approach if we get the goal(s), a bit like the Southampton game. Lingard, Martial, Lukaku with Mata/Mkhitaryan behind, with one of the offensive players subbed for a Centre Back after 60-70 minutes.
    Yeah, I think this is the way he will go. Especially since we're away in Russia. And I expect people moaning about it after the game, even if we win.

The Red Roman

This could be a tricky game for United. CSKA winning away at Benfica on matchday one really takes the pressure off them for this game. Realistcally they will be targeting 3rd spot in this group and beating Benfica means they will be no worse then level with Benfica and Basel after 2 matches if they lose this game. They can give this game a real go tonight as any points will be a bonus. They are playing at home in front of a noisy crowd, I expect CSKA to perform.

With Mourinho as United manager I am always pretty confident that the team will perform. Without Pogba United are a pragmatic team, but the mentality of the team is much better under Jose's management, probably the best since Ferguson left. The team always seem highly motivated to try to get a result every game rather than coast or play without the required intensity as sometimes happened under Moyes and Van Gaal. This something that the CSKA Moscow manager Viktor Goncharenko provided in his assessment at Tuesday's pre-match press conference. "Since Sir Alex Ferguson left [in 2013], this current version of Manchester United is without any doubt, their strongest team," said Goncharenko. Speaking in his press conference Mourinho said: "We try to play well but, in some moments of the match, if the opponent has moments of superiority, we have to be humble like we were against Southampton. We have to cope with the difficult moments of the game. I think it's a mixture of our quality, and being dominant like we always want to be, and accepting the reality of high-level football that, when the opponent has a strong moment, you have to cope with it." When asked what the key is to maintaining the early-season form, he added: "We cannot guarantee this line of success but the way to try to keep it is to do what we are doing."

Tactically United are likely to encounter another 3/5 man defence. Goncharenko who arrived in January has been a breath of fresh air for CSKA and fans certainly believe in his 3-5-2 after his marvelous work helped bring the Army Men (and their fans) out of the doldrums and helped them leapfrog dreaded rivals Zenit in the final standings. The aging unit of the Berezutski twins, Aleksey and Vasily, and Sergei Ignashevich, with Viktor Vasin lack pace so will sit deep and try be difficult to beat. They key for United will exposing them in the tranisition beofre they have time to retreat and re-organise themselves. United have proven to be devasting in counter-attacking situations so far this season and despite the injuries in midfield, the duo of Matic and Herrera has a nice balance and they should have enough energy and strength to regain possession in the middle third and launch counter-attacks. I have used a pacy front-three in my selection in the hope that against a back three they will get 1v1 opportunities and be able to expose Moscow aging defenders with their pace. Counter-attacking quickly after the opposition has lost possession is without a doubt proving the most effective method of scoring goals in the Champions League so far this season and United certainly have the attacking weapons to be as effective as any team in these situations. I expect Mosocw to play defensively and allow us to control possession, the key for United will be exposing them on the rare occasions they commit men and lose the ball to us, that's when we have to expose them.

Subs - Romero, Tuanzebe, Young, Smalling, McTominay, Mata, Martial.

Janson

Smalling, Lindelöf and Bailly with Young and Lingard as wingbacks would be nice.

GM K

Don't know, I just don't see a reason to be overly defensive tonight. I don't even have a clue about how good Cska are right now though, they might be dangerous.
    The reality is that we have a very depleted midfield and two important regulars in defence, out. I'm guessing Jose will go for tight and compact play which will appear very defensive to many. But it may be the smart approach to take. CSKA is a very decent team at home.

Android1974

Yeah, it could be possible he'll go for three at the back, in that case Lingard could be used as a wingback. I don't see him using Darmian as wingback so it would have to be between Blind, Young and Lingard for both spots. If I'm not forgeting anyone else who could play there.
    Well, Darmian played rightwingback for a whole half against Burton, but I guess he makes more sense as the leftcenterback. Fernandes could force Mourinho to use him there, though.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
    I'd play both Rashford and Martial in this one. Let's go out there, get a decent lead then think about taking players off for the weekend.

Janson

Nice it would, but seems too offensive for Mourinho tonight.
    Well, Darmian played rightwingback for a whole half against Burton, but I guess he makes more sense as the leftcenterback. Fernandes could force Mourinho to use him there, though.
    Yeah, I guess the main priority would be not to loose tonight. I have a strong feeling Darmian will feature in some capacity.

Janson

The reality is that we have a very depleted midfield and two important regulars in defence, out. I'm guessing Jose will go for tight and compact play which will appear very defensive to many. But it may be the smart approach to take. CSKA is a very decent team at home.
    With that in mind, I would take a draw. Ideally though, if we manage to score fairly early on, we'll have a chance to take them apart on the counter. Which is why I think Martial and Rashford together would be good for this game.

Android1974

Don't think the manager is going for a draw, on the contrary, we're going for a win… but sitting back and counterattacking.

GM K

With that in mind, I would take a draw. Ideally though, if we manage to score fairly early on, we'll have a chance to take them apart on the counter. Which is why I think Martial and Rashford together would be good for this game.
    Good idea.

I just hope we don't leave Moscow with any more injuries. We need to take Crystal Palace out this weekend. Anything short of three points will be a disaster considering how poor Crystal Palace has been.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
    Team in 10 mins, right? Good. Plenty of time to get all the things needed (beer, chips..) and go home find the st...river and get ready. Not nervous at all. No. No. I said No!

lysglimt

Scout
    Is Cska a decent team or what?
    They normally are - but this season they have been poor by their standards. 7 Points behind Zenit and they score just above 1 goal pr game. They are too old at the back and perhaps too young up front

el3mel

3-5-2 it's then. Good formation but we'll have to endure Mikhi as a RW again.

el3mel

10/11 btw, missed Mata for Lindelof. :D

Good I put Young and Blind just one hour before the prediction is closed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 568 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Moscow win
  • Draw