Curious case of Isco

Womp

idiot
What happened to him? I remember seeing him at Malaga, his ability in tight spaces and that curling shot he possessed was a thing to behold. I remember seeing him and Thiago boss it in the Euro u21 tournament and thought they were both the next two big midfielders. Whilst Thiago has gone on to have a good career, I haven't even heard Isco be mentioned in years.

Injuries?

GuyfromAustria

What happened to him? I remember seeing him at Malaga, his ability in tight spaces and that curling shot he possessed was a thing to behold. I remember seeing him and Thiago boss it in the Euro u21 tournament and thought they were both the next two big midfielders. Whilst Thiago has gone on to have a good career, I haven't even heard Isco be mentioned in years.

Injuries?
He wasn't that bad for Real a few years ago. I went to the Bernabeu in 2016 and I think he was very good that day. At some point it went downhill it seems.

Nick7

He’s won 2 leagues and 4 Champions Leagus with Real. I think he’s had a decent career…

Womp

idiot
He’s won 2 leagues and 4 Champions Leagus with Real. I think he’s had a decent career…
Was he actually even an actual factor in that though? By good career I mean that Thiago has gone on to establish himself as one of the World's best midfielders whereas Isco has seemingly fallen off a cliff despite still being quite young.

BarstoolProphet

He probably had a better career than Thiago overall but people have short memories and Thiago was the greatest midfielder of all time after his last season in Germany.

Nick7

Was he actually even an actual factor in that though? By good career I mean that Thiago has gone on to establish himself as one of the World's best midfielders whereas Isco has seemingly fallen off a cliff despite still being quite young.
I mean he’s played over 350 games for Madrid during a period of great success. I’m pretty sure you can call that a “factor”

Bwuk

Just didn't quite fit into the starting 11. He was never gonna get Modric or Kroos out the starting 11, and Madrids wide players were expected to score a lot of goals.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Was he actually even an actual factor in that though?
He started in two CL finals and played >40 minutes in the other two. He averaged around 2500 minutes per season in his first five seasons and was something like the 12th man / joint 11th man on the squad.

His problem was after Zidane first left. Everyone was shit after that, but unlike most players, he never recovered. He probably just needs a move.

Ekeke

The Madrid managers never seemed to go all in with him. He was often one to lose his place to the new toy coming in each summer. Perhaps he accepted that role at some point too because clearly the best thing to do was to find a club where he would start and show off his talent often.

Womp

idiot
He started in two CL finals and played >40 minutes in the other two. He averaged around 2500 minutes per season in his first five seasons.
With no disrespect, considering you clearly would know more about a Madrid player than myself but I think we fan both agree minutes don't = influence.

How many of those seasons would you say he was performing at title winning level? Genuinely curious

Maybe I just had unrealistic expectations given his natural ability but at 29, he still hasn't established himself as one of the better players in his position which I thought he would be earlier in his career

Pep's Suit

In last three seasons he played less and less - 1200, 1200, 900 mins in La Liga, that's not even 14 full games out of 38. And even before he'd usually finish with 1600-1800 mins so never really became one of the most important players for Real and it's fair to say never really fulfiled his potential. In my eyes had better career than James, Nasri or Coutinho but worse than Bale or Thiago. Just gave up when he was 26-27 and was fine to stay at Bernabeo as one of their squad players.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Injuries?
Competition. Isco is a good player but not great and he plays in roles that used to be stacked at Real Madrid, with managers having to mainly choose between him, Ronaldo, Bale, Modric or Kroos. Thiago was in a more comfortable situation and had less chances to be compared negatively with his competition.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
With no disrespect, considering you clearly would know more about a Madrid player than myself but I think we fan both agree minutes don't = influence.
How many of those seasons would you say he was performing at title winning level? Genuinely curious
He was very good. Probably slightly overrated by Spanish fans, but he definitely earned being that 11th/12th man.

youmeletsfly

He was sensational for a season, good for about two, then he got injured and, when coming back, gained a bit of weight. Since then he hasn't been the same player and also gained quite a strong reputation for being lazy, especially in training.

Oranges038

He's put too much into being Jack Whitehall that his alter ego Isco the footballer has become a passenger in a double act with his father. It's a shame though as he was probably a better footballer than a comedian.

Varun

Staff
Should have left once Real stocked up on midfield and wing options. He was never going to break the Modric - Kroos - Casemiro midfield or the Ronaldo, Bale etc riches out wide. Wasted the last few years of his career.

simmee

I think it's mainly down to his head being too large for his body
Yep. Same as with Henderson's running style SAF and our medical staff spotted early that he would have a short career with his enormous head and small body.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He played in a good team that’s clearly not the point of the thread.

He has not hit the heights that was expected of him on a personal level.

JPRouve

Scout

Then the question becomes were the expectations accurate? I would say no because Isco was an attacking midfielder that didn't had the athletic tools to be significantly better than what he has done at Madrid, it's reminiscent of Riquelme who was a very enjoyable player at Villarreal who didn't had a place as a starter in one of the huge clubs.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Then the question becomes were the expectations accurate? I would say no because Isco was an attacking midfielder that didn't had the athletic tools to be significantly better than what he has done at Madrid, it's reminiscent of Riquelme who was a very enjoyable player at Villarreal who didn't had a place as a starter in one of the huge clubs.
I don't agree with that. Isco had all the ability in the world but lacked the physicality. Problem with him was he never learned to use his skills efficiently. Xavi once criticized him famously for that.

I mean, you could argue that Isco is probably the best technician in the world and it wouldn't be a ridiculous statement. Surely such a talented player could have done better than he did, although he had two or three seasons at a very high level that are often forgotten over the general story.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I mean every player who fails to live up to expectations then the expectations were wrong.

Doesn’t make him a bad player, either. Spain were at the end or just finishing their golden generation so that probably didn’t help him from an expectations viewpoint.

JPRouve

Scout
I mean every player who fails to live up to expectations then the expectations were wrong.

Doesn’t make him a bad player, either. Spain were at the end or just finishing their golden generation so that probably didn’t help him from an expectations viewpoint.
Which makes his case not curious. We observe players from the outside and have an incomplete set of data, we don't know how they actually process information, we don't know how they learn new things, we don't know their athletic limits and we don't know their personalities either. We tend to look at players age and apply a linear growth in most areas which is highly flawed and why most players don't match expectations, some do better and others do worse.

My point is that we shouldn't cling on past expectations as if they were definitely correct. And as you said Isco isn't a bad player, he is pretty good and his case isn't curious.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't agree with that. Isco had all the ability in the world but lacked the physicality. Problem with him was he never learned to use his skills efficiently. Xavi once criticized him famously for that.

I mean, you could argue that Isco is probably the best technician in the world and it wouldn't be a ridiculous statement. Surely such a talented player could have done better than he did, although he had two or three seasons at a very high level that are often forgotten over the general story.
What are you disagreeing with? I said that he lacked athletic abilities which you called physicality, so we agree on that. I didn't address the mental part because I don't know him but that's also an ability. So you essentially disagree with me but say that he had all the abilities in the world outside of physicality and mental capacity to play at a higher level. He basically didn't had all the abilities in the world.

Gonçalo Motta

That definitely is a ridiculous statement. But you could argue that he has the potential to be the best / one the best technicians in the world.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

All of them

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What are you disagreeing with? I said that he lacked athletic abilities which you called physicality, so we agree on that. I didn't address the mental part because I don't know him but that's also an ability. So you essentially disagree with me but say that he had all the abilities in the world outside of physicality and mental capacity to play at a higher level. He basically didn't had all the abilities in the world.
Maybe our definitions of potential vary. For me, potential in the general sense means what a player could become with the right mind set and the necessary luck (injuries etc.). So for me, Isco had the potential to be a defining midfielder of his generation and it was not really unreasonable to think so.

That definitely is a ridiculous statement. But you could argue that he has the potential to be the best / one the best technicians in the world.
It really isn't. I don't think there are many professional footballers on the planet who can do what Isco can with a football. Some of his plays are really mindblowing.

Not saying he definitely is since there are different types of technique but you can definitely make a point for him being the best. Outrageous skills and also very, very consistent at doing the basics, almost no heavy touches.

Skills

Snitch
Isco--Modric--Kroos--James

Was a very fun midfield for half a season under Ancelotti.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, but was he even a big part of any of those titles? Doesn't seems that hard to stack titles on that RM side, especially when Ronaldo was on the team.
He was. He played in every CL final, starting the last two.
He wasn't Modric, but he wasn't a passenger either.

cyberman

Nope. Hes rarely mentioned for a reason.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He was sensational for a season, good for about two, then he got injured and, when coming back, gained a bit of weight. Since then he hasn't been the same player and also gained quite a strong reputation for being lazy, especially in training.
Perfect for Arsenal then

JPRouve

Scout
Maybe our definitions of potential vary. For me, potential in the general sense means what a player could become with the right mind set and the necessary luck (injuries etc.). So for me, Isco had the potential to be a defining midfielder of his generation and it was not really unreasonable to think so.
I didn't define potential and it wasn't the topic, the topic was expectations. I do not expect footballers or any athletes to have the right mind set, I do not expect them to be injury free over a 10 year period and I do not expect them to even have the capacity to fix all their flaws because only a few manage to do it. My expectations are that the vast majority of young players won't fulfil what we deem to be their potential and I also believe that our evaluation of potential is highly flawed because we are not insiders, we don't actually know the players.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It really isn't. I don't think there are many professional footballers on the planet who can do what Isco can with a football. Some of his plays are really mindblowing.

Not saying he definitely is since there are different types of technique but you can definitely make a point for him being the best. Outrageous skills and also very, very consistent at doing the basics, almost no heavy touches.
You mistake tricks for technical skill. His functional technique was good, but nothing amazing

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I don’t think this is the point of the thread in fairness. The OP was wondering why a player that promised so much seems to have fallen off the radar. I mean he’s 29 years old and should be at the peak of his footballing powers and yet he wasn’t even included in Spain’s squad for the Euros. And it’s not like Spain are overburdened with quality players like they were in the past.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I didn't define potential and it wasn't the topic, the topic was expectations. I do not expect footballers or any athletes to have the right mind set, I do not expect them to be injury free over a 10 year period and I do not expect them to even have the capacity to fix all their flaws because only a few manage to do it. My expectations are that the vast majority of young players won't fulfil what we deem to be their potential and I also believe that our evaluation of potential is highly flawed because we are not insiders, we don't actually know the players.
I think this is nitpicking to be honest but let's leave it at that then.

Raredaredevil

For some reason I keep thinking he played for City. I think he almost moved to City.