Curtis Jones

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Of course i don't like it so much if Liverpool players are so good and playing well but i'm a big fan of him since his first minutes for the Young Lions teams in 2016 and i watched the Liverpool vs Ajax match only because of him.

If he keeps motivated and avoids serious injuries then he will be easily a super star in the next years......in my opinion he has all the tools to be a perfect midfield player and the right coach with Klopp to improve him.

And if a Liverpool player plays so good and so many minutes (Of course he will have bad matches too in the next months) then he can't be fair away from the senior national team.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Cemented himself as a genuine first team option.

Mad considering he probably started the season behind all of Fabinho Thiago Keita Henderson Wijnaldum Ox and Milner

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Think he looks a right talent. I like the confidence the lad has too.

Haddock

He has a suitably smug scouse face and is unfortunately quite good at football which means I have accepted the idea of hating him for the foreseeable future.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He played well last night but he’s had some off games as well. He’s got talent though and fits in well as an attacking midfielder in a three.

If we weren’t struggling with injuries he’d be nothing more than an occasional sub but he’s taking his chance.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He played well last night but he’s had some off games as well. He’s got talent though and fits in well as an attacking midfielder in a three.

If we weren’t struggling with injuries he’d be nothing more than an occasional sub but he’s taking his chance.
It’s definitely fast tracked his development. I like what I see of him strong two footed and extremely agile for someone so tall which is a rare combination. Reminds me of Adam Lallana a lot, let’s just hope the injury curse doesn’t hit him. If we are successful this season this lad will have played a vital role no matter what now.

Classical Mechanic

It’s definitely fast tracked his development. I like what I see of him strong two footed and extremely agile for someone so tall which is a rare combination. Reminds me of Adam Lallana a lot, let’s just hope the injury curse doesn’t hit him. If we are successful this season this lad will have played a vital role no matter what now.
He's always reminded me of Lallana. Great balance and technique.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
At youth level the teenagers he was up against couldn't stop his attacks. Just like his sister.
That's... interesting.

I was wondering why a United fan would be a fan of a Livepool youth (now first?) team player. English football is pretty polarised so you tend not to find United supporters not being fans of Foden or City fans not being fans of Greenwood.

But I think that isn't the case in other countries where they often put nationality above clubs

Utdstar01

Good talent but the real standout for me yesterday was Gravenberch.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
That's... interesting.

I was wondering why a United fan would be a fan of a Livepool youth (now first?) team player. English football is pretty polarised so you tend not to find United supporters not being fans of Foden or City fans not being fans of Greenwood.

But I think that isn't the case in other countries where they often put nationality above clubs
I think in this context a fan of basically means that you rate them, as opposed to being a supporter of them.

Could be wrong but it’s often what I mean when I say I’m a fan of a certain player when discussing them.

Classical Mechanic

Good talent but the real standout for me yesterday was Gravenberch.
Agree. The Scousers will be upset but I don't rate Jones in the top bracket of young talent.

That's... interesting.

If you're an England fan as well as a United fan then you're happy to see young English players developing even if they play for rivals.

GledTheRed

He has a suitably smug scouse face and is unfortunately quite good at football which means I have accepted the idea of hating him for the foreseeable future.
Yeah he looks very punchable which means he will be about for a good while scoring screamers no doubt.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Agree. The Scousers will be upset but I don't rate Jones in the top bracket of young talent.
It think it helps a lot that you get into a team that has a plan and knows what it's doing in its entirety, plus he's been part of the senior squad for a while know so he's already familiar with the system and the players.

I mean he's obviously a very talented player, otherwise you wouldn't start (and perform like that) at Liverpool aged 19, but I find it difficult to actually rate our youngsters properly. Would Curtis Jones (and e.g. Neco Williams) be automatic starters at a midtable team, would they stand out in those sides? Hard to tell. If young players stand out at midtable teams and then go to top teams, it's easier to identify them as top talents early on. Utd and Liverpool both have had academy products in their first XI who'd barely make the first XI of a midtable team in the last few years.

Gravenberch looked great playing for a lesser side against us, so you'd think he'd do even better if he was playing for us instead of them yesterday. So yeah, just hard to compare imo.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
He can't stop with his amazing performances.
He will though. He's young and is in a good vein of form right now. He'll have some games where he struggles and it'll be how he recovers from them that will determine how his career goes.
I think he'll be a great in years to come as I said earlier in the thread and he's got the perfect manager to help develop him

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Playing very well but he's been thrusted into this starting position every week because of injuries. Come the new year I'd expect us to sign a new CB which pushes Fabinho back into midfield. Then he's competing with Henderson, Wijnaldum, Thiago, Keita and Milner.

He's got a lot of talent though. Seems very good as an attacking midfielder in a three.

NYAS

What does he do exactly? I was thinking to myself watching him that I’m not really sure what he brings?

He just looks like a typical Liverpool midfield runner to me.

No butthurt replies please, I’m genuinely asking because I can’t see it yet. Anyone who has watched him more, could you please tell me what his role is? Is he a passer? Is he a tackler? Is he an anchor? Is he an attacking midfielder?

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
What does he do exactly? I was thinking to myself watching him that I’m not really sure what he brings?

No butthurt replies please, I’m genuinely asking because I can’t see it yet. Anyone who has watched him more, could you please tell me what his role is? Is he a passer? Is he a tackler? Is he an anchor? Is he an attacking midfielder?
He is an attacking midfielder. But, as you see, Klopp's midfielders don't play as someone with a special skillset , they are kind of jack-of-all-trades midfielders. The midfield's first job is to protect the defense and then play attacking passes. A no.8 in Liverpool's middle 3 is quite different from a no.8 in Man city's midfield. So, yeah, I can understand why they don't look especially proficient in one area, but they do the dirty work though.

Another example is Wijnaldum. He is somebody who keeps the ball and rarely ventures forward. Completely different from the dutch team Wijnaldum, where he is the attacking midfielder and a focal point for goals.

edcunited1878

He's a bit like Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain the fact that he's much more an 8 and supporting midfielder for the forward players compared to Henderson or Fabinho who stay back more and help organize/fill in with the defensive line, but he's got a good engine and good technical ability. Not the greatest passer, but plays with the tempo and energy needed in Liverpool's central midfield. Good with the ball, good feet. Could have scored a great solo goal against Fulham but didn't finish. He's a tidy player with good ability. I for one would rate him above McTominay because he is better on the ball, better technique, and has much less experience than McTominay.

meamth

He's a bit like Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain the fact that he's much more an 8 and supporting midfielder for the forward players compared to Henderson or Fabinho who stay back more and help organize/fill in with the defensive line, but he's got a good engine and good technical ability. Not the greatest passer, but plays with the tempo and energy needed in Liverpool's central midfield. Good with the ball, good feet. Could have scored a great solo goal against Fulham but didn't finish. He's a tidy player with good ability. I for one would rate him above McTominay because he is better on the ball, better technique, and has much less experience than McTominay.
You just cannot compare a defensive midfielder with an advanced midfielder, it's way off.

NYAS

That sounds exactly like a typical Liverpool midfield runner as I mentioned in my previous post. I’m glad I’m not missing anything that other people are seeing! I appreciate the explanation.

edcunited1878

You just cannot compare a defensive midfielder with an advanced midfielder, it's way off.
You don't have to be a defensive or advanced central midfield player to be a good passer, composed on the ball, etc. You can still be a good central midfielder who is more suited to a defensive duties + you don't have to tackle everybody that comes your way. James Ward-Prowse isn't exactly a defensive midfielder, although he plays a similar position, not style, to McTominay in a central midfield two. Sissoko and Kovacic are other examples.

Jones is a good fit for Liverpool, but is surrounded by very good players who know exactly what is it they have to do to be effective and he's allowed to play within that system. Henderson is much more positionally defensive. Wiljamdum plays ahead of Henderson and is able to support the attack more, but very positionally sound. Jones has shown to dribble more and venture forward, but he's a similar central midfielder to Wiljamdum or Oxlaide-Chamberlain.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
He could be in with a shout of making the England team for the Euros considering how weak the midfield options are.

SeeMe

Supports
Porto
He is really a calm player in the middle, I didn't see him losing the possession in the tight marking, I really surprised what on earth Klopp can really improve his players so well...

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
That sounds exactly like a typical Liverpool midfield runner as I mentioned in my previous post. I’m glad I’m not missing anything that other people are seeing! I appreciate the explanation.
The only thing to add is being a typical Liverpool midfield runner is one of the hardest positions in football today. Losing Fab, Hendo or Gini immediately makes us vulnerable doesn't matter who comes in to replace them.

To become a "typical Liverpool midfield runner" at 19 is simply amazing and the highest accolade he could wish for.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
The product of coherent and consistently excellent coaching. His raw ability is being very well developed, which is resulting in tactically disciplined performances. He's the kind of player that could fall victim to his own flair if his temperament wasn't right - trying too hard to impress, etc. But looks to have an excellent schooling under a superb coaching set-up. I don't think anybody expected this speed of progression.

SirMarcusRashford

Been impressed with him every time I've watched him play, I've just put him in my Fantasy Football (only 4.4m) as 1st choice bench option, you get the feeling he's a goalscorer, he scored against Ajax a couple weeks ago and hit the post and he had a few chances against Spurs yesterday.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It's his tactical acumen and deeper work that has impressed me in his recent run. No doubt he's very gifted technically, but he's been putting in well rounded midfield performances, offering himself as an outlet, solving problems for team mates and on top of that linking up in the final third in a way we've often been missing in the past.

Wijnaldum was the best player on the pitch yesterday though. Immense.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Fabinho, Thiago, Wijnaldum
Henderson, Keita, Jones
Milner, Minamino, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Wijnaldum and Henderson are pretty much interchangeable, but those are three very strong midfields we could put out. Only missing a DM in the third one.

I was impressed with Jones last night, best player on the pitch after Fabinho and Wijnaldum imo.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
He is really a calm player in the middle, I didn't see him losing the possession in the tight marking, I really surprised what on earth Klopp can really improve his players so well...
Klopp has the ability to design his system to suit his players to the hilt, just like SAF, Wenger in the past. There is a long list of layers who look great for his sides and turn out to not have the same influence under other managers - Grosskreutz, Barrios, Kagawa, Sahin, Coutinho. Their current team is also has a handful players who never showed the level they play on today, before Klopp came in.