D. McDonnell - the Mirror: Jose will be sacked this weekend | BBC: Jose still has board backing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
When asked about his immediate future Jose dodged the question in that post match interview. The nature and content of that post match interview would lead me to think he’s still going and very soon at that. Didn’t have the same bluster his post match rants usually have and he seemed quite solemn about the entire thing.

Would not be surprised if he’s not here post international break and even if he is - can’t see him staying much longer regardless.

simplyared

Whatever happens his future is hanging on a thread. I believe he's already gone. Could be wrong of course. However in reality what are the chances he can turn things round? Zero imo! The board must sense that!
The recovery against Newcastle may delay the board going public with the decision. But it's coming. Cannot see him still with us after the international break.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He might stay till May. I've made peace with it. Just a pity that this season is in the bin.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that they were actually going to sack him, but because we managed to scrape a win against Newcastle yesterday they've decided to keep him on. The club is such a fecking mess that i could easily believe that.

Vadim

1) who said it's a trusted source ?
2) why don't he try to check for it by himself before hurrying to write an exclusive ? No one reported it by him
3) why make it so conformed that he will be sacked regardless of the result ? Could have covered hinself by saying he will be sacked if we don't win.
4) why even defending a Mirror journalist who writes rubbish about us ?
I'm not defending anyone. I'm trying to look at it objectively. You're accusing someone of 'being a fraud'. I'm just throwing a few opinions into the mix.

I think that the Mirror journo was told something and he reported what he was told, that's all there is to it. He did the same with Moyes and LVG, he wasn't a fraud then, was he?

Offsideagain

First off, as I have said before, the club should take legal action against these stories IF they are untrue. Jose is still there, the club have given the kiss of death backing. Some media just want to upset United in anyway they can and should be stopped.

Secondly, it would cost millions to get rid of him as he is contracted until May 2020 and that would grate with Woodward because the scruffy, unshaven prat can’t even grow a proper beard let alone run a football club. Fans should stop buying shirts from the superstore and that will grab Woodward’s attention.

George The Best

I was always a bit suspicious of the Mirror story, purely based on timing. Seems to me not the greatest time to be changing managers. International break so little time to meet with players, then a daunting fixture list including Chelsea, City and Bournemouth away plus Juve x 2. Don’t think any new manager would want to start with a string of possible defeats imo. Most likely, if there’s any truth in it, that he’ll be gone sometime after the City game. Gives the new boss a few weeks to analyse what he’s got with a chance to tinker in the January window.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
First off, as I have said before, the club should take legal action against these stories IF they are untrue. Jose is still there, the club have given the kiss of death backing. Some media just want to upset United in anyway they can and should be stopped.

Secondly, it would cost millions to get rid of him as he is contracted until May 2020 and that would grate with Woodward because the scruffy, unshaven prat can’t even grow a proper beard let alone run a football club. Fans should stop buying shirts from the superstore and that will grab Woodward’s attention.
Sorry but what exactly are they suing for ? Mirror can easily say that United changed their mind because of some xyz reason. Also it would put the club in a really awkward position regarding sacking jose a few weeks down the line

el3mel

I'm not defending anyone. I'm trying to look at it objectively. You're accusing someone of 'being a fraud'. I'm just throwing a few opinions into the mix.

I think that the Mirror journo was told something and he reported what he was told, that's all there is to it. He did the same with Moyes and LVG, he wasn't a fraud then, was he?
The Moyes sacking was briefed to everyone 24 hours before he got sacked, and he reported LVG would get the sack 2 days before FA Cup after missing on top 4. Nothing genius here everyone knew LvG sealed his fate after the loss to WHU.

As a journalist you shoud check your sources and be sure before publishing not just hurrying to write the exclusive.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

I'll be fine with that although it's really hard to do I reckon.

It's true though, journalists are getting away too much in football. In other businesses or industries, You'll get sued for spreading fake news, rumors or to defame an organization. If you talked shite about Microsoft and published it online as a tabloid newspaper and not only once but three times or more, They'll definitely take a legal action against you. We're not talking about personal blogs here. These journalists are 'real' journalists and They make a living out of the media. I'm pretty sure They have code of ethics. No?

Vadim

The Moyes sacking was briefed to everyone 24 hours before he got sacked, and he reported LVG would get the sack 2 days before FA Cup after missing on top 4. Nothing genius here everyone knew LvG sealed his fate after the loss to WHU.

As a journalist you shoud check your sources and be sure before publishing not just hurrying to write the exclusive.
I don't disagree. But my original point is, he isn't 'a fraud'. He put his neck on the line with the story and is yet to be proved right or wrong.

If Jose is sacked soon, he was right all along.

el3mel

I don't disagree. But my original point is, he isn't 'a fraud'. He put his neck on the line with the story and is yet to be proved right or wrong.

If Jose is sacked soon, he was right all along.
He said he would be sacked this weekend and regardless of Newcastle result.

Let's say Mourinho lost the next 4 games and got sacked 1 month later, that won't prove his original story at all, even though I'm pretty sure he'll jump on it and say he was right..

LoneStar

He might stay till May. I've made peace with it. Just a pity that this season is in the bin.
This season is already over mate. Might as well take some good time and hire a manager who aligns with what we want. We don't want to just jump to the next big name without thinking properly about it.

I am not convinced by Zidane, and that would leave very few options. We have to get this one right.

spiriticon

If I were the club, I'd have banned all the tabloid media vultures ages ago for the amount of utter shite they've written this season.

Allow only the major ones like Press Association, BBC, Sky, BT and some international ones. We need to take a stand against these feckers.

We also need to weed out these 'senior figures' at United who keep running their mouth. Are they even real sources? If they aren't, the club needs to make a statement about fake news.

If it is real, who is it? Find him and sack him. It's a breach of confidentiality.

Adisa

Depends what your expectations of the season were/are? No chance we were going to win the league, top 4 we can still achieve.
Would be grand if he leaves with us clinching top four. But I simply can't see him getting our attackers playing well consistently.

Adisa

This season is already over mate. Might as well take some good time and hire a manager who aligns with what we want. We don't want to just jump to the next big name without thinking properly about it.

I am not convinced by Zidane, and that would leave very few options. We have to get this one right.
I would like to see him leave now but don't think k the club will do it.

Offsideagain

Sorry but what exactly are they suing for ? Mirror can easily say that United changed their mind because of some xyz reason. Also it would put the club in a really awkward position regarding sacking jose a few weeks down the line
Liable my friend. If you print something that is untrue and it has an effect on you personally, your business, product or reputation, then that is Liable. Sir Cliff did it. If I write something on here concerning say your sexual preferences and it’s untrue, you can sue me for damages. If I write that a Supermarket was selling meat unfit for human consumption and their sales fell and it was untrue, then they could sue for loss of business. I hope that clears it up.

Nick7

Liable my friend. If you print something that is untrue and it has an effect on you personally, your business, product or reputation, then that is Liable. Sir Cliff did it. If I write something on here concerning say your sexual preferences and it’s untrue, you can sue me for damages. If I write that a Supermarket was selling meat unfit for human consumption and their sales fell and it was untrue, then they could sue for loss of business. I hope that clears it up.
Libel.

X0X Tan

Supports
Brasil
Bring back LVG I love his football, Mourinho and Moyes football is xxxx

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcelinho87

This will be doing the exact opposite of all that. The clicks and interest this will gather means more money for United not less.

soapythecat

Without reading through the whole thread, I suspect my point has already been mentioned by others, but the skeptic in me thinks that there was a leak of information and it came from Jose's camp.
Why?
Ticket sales were down and the atmosphere was going to be absolutely toxic if nothing had changed before kick off. Jose would not have had the response he got from the crown, backing him if this information hadn't had come out.
It worked a treat, in as such that the crowd backed him and sung his name. They directed frustration towards the board and EW. Jose basically had a 90-minute free run at a game where he was certain to get some kind of negativity - especially given how poor we were in the first half.
Anyway, all that was a waste of time because the bell-end did his usual and turn the post-match about him, even though he tried to insist it wasn't about him and threw a player or two under the bus, instead of not even mentioning a player and keeping that in the dressing room. The bloke is a clever cnut. Now feck off.

Adisa

Do you have anyone in mind to replace Jose?
My choice is a bit left field. First of all, I think the job is too big for one man. We need a DoF first. I'd bring in someone like Robert Fernandez and De Zerbi as coach.

pascell

Would be grand if he leaves with us clinching top four. But I simply can't see him getting our attackers playing well consistently.
We'll see in the next couple of games, it's a good start with Martial, Sanchez and Mata all scoring and Pogba playing a great game. If we get Lukaku scoring with us contributing still we'll be fine, play like we did the 2nd half yesterday we'll get a run going for sure.

Judas

Open to offers
We'll see in the next couple of games, it's a good start with Martial, Sanchez and Mata all scoring and Pogba playing a great game. If we get Lukaku scoring with us contributing still we'll be fine, play like we did the 2nd half yesterday we'll get a run going for sure.
But we simply won't. We never ever do after games like yesterday, we've seen it many times under Jose, what happened in that second half is not Jose's gameplay, and he'll rarely if ever have us playing like that from the start.

EwanI Ted

But we simply won't. We never ever do after games like yesterday, we've seen it many times under Jose, what happened in that second half is not Jose's gameplay, and he'll rarely if ever have us playing like that from the start.
Agreed. We’ve seen similar things before, like City and Palace last season. This group of players can really produce when they need to, but Mourinho will only let them off the leash when there’s no alternative. It’s never been his Plan A in his time here.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You're banking on a lot expecting Martial, Sanchez, Mata, Pogba and Lukaku all finding form at the same time. None of those you mention has performed consistently under Jose. Why do you think that will change following a last-ditch win against one of the weakest sides in the premier league?

Jose won't change his tactics he believes those who have possession are the ones in fear and more likely to make a mistake.

Judas

Open to offers
Martial didn't even perform consistently well for the entire game! He was awful for a large portion of yesterday, then it clicked with about 20 minutes to go. So to suddenly think he'll be turning it on every week now is just unrealistic.

Ether

I don’t think some of you understand how journalism works.

David McDonnel has a source within the club. The source informed him on Friday that Jose is going to be sacked regardless of yesterday’s result.

This could still happen. But if it doesn’t, it doesn’t make the journalist ‘a fraud’. He’s simply reported a story given to him by a trusted source, like he did when reporting Moyes and LVG were to be sacked - which he got right.

Everything isn’t as black and white as some here like to believe.
Spot on mate. We don't know who gave the information to McDonnell and what their agenda was. It could've been a board member or someone at the club who is opposed to Jose and wants to put pressure on him. Almost like a case of constructive dismissal.

Kapardin

Problem is Pogba could push for a January move if Jose stays. And like him or not, we need him for any top 4 hopes.

I don't honestly think Jose will last till January though. The run of games we have coming up may be too much.

cyberman

Spot on mate. We don't know who gave the information to McDonnell and what their agenda was. It could've been a board member or someone at the club who is opposed to Jose and wants to put pressure on him. Almost like a case of constructive dismissal.
So the journo is either lying or has shit sources?
Why is he worth listening to again?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
For all we know Ed could be negotiating with Zidane as we speak, hence Zidane's agent putting out the "he's really not that into England" comment in the media as leverage.

Member 93275

Phone rings. "Hi ManUtd, this is the BBC, can you confirm the rumours that Jose will be sacked this weekend?"

Possibility 1, the rumour is false, the answer is "It's not true".
Possibility 2, the rumour is true, the answer is "It's not true".

Ether

So the journo is either lying or has shit sources?
Why is he worth listening to again?
Well, this guy reported that the club were in talks with LVG 12 days before Moyes was sacked. He was also the first to report that LVG was to be sacked regardless of the result of the FA Cup Final so it's not like he hasn't got a history of breaking stories. If Mourinho had been sacked today or tomorrow and then McDonnell said he knew about this possibly happening on Friday night but didn't report it, he'd get called a fraud in that case too.

Ask yourself, what would a journalist who is seemingly well regarded in the industry have to gain from making something like this up?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What do people understand by senior club official other than someone above Jose in the club hierarchy? Would someone who works under the manager be classified as a "senior club source"? I don't think so. Who is above the manager in the club other than the board and the CEO, no one..

All of this on the assumption that the journalist isn't completely lying and throwing his career out the window of course.

SirAF

Ageist
Problem is Pogba could push for a January move if Jose stays. And like him or not, we need him for any top 4 hopes.

I don't honestly think Jose will last till January though. The run of games we have coming up may be too much.
United won’t sell Pogba in January, no matter what. He’s got a contract for another four years, so the club holds all the cards atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.