D. McDonnell - the Mirror: Jose will be sacked this weekend | BBC: Jose still has board backing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'd be more cynical about story if it'd been written to sell Sunday newspapers; that's the usual day for publishing sensational 'exclusives.'

clarkydaz

Thing is, the Mirror was already backtracking (or claiming United were...) BEFORE the match.

I don't think McDonnell invented it, though.
I believe it was true, he was even going on tv standing behind the story. Ironically this leak might have kept Jose in his job for now. The public backlash before the game how snide the board were acting, with the big support Jose got from the crowd which helped the comeback, im sure made it very awkward to pull the trigger... for now

99withaflake

Some reports the club have banned McDonnell. I hope they're true.
I saw that. Hope it's true.

Part of being a good journalist is to report the truth.

Trusting your sources, which is what many of them do, is essentially guessing.

And this time he's been caught out.

Maybe he'll choose his sources more wisely next time before publishing such a massive story about someone elses job (and getting it wrong).

VJ1762

I don't know why it takes so long for our board to sack the manager. Dragging this is not helping anyone. If we keep this guy, the consequences are going to be long term.

caid

Well, this guy reported that the club were in talks with LVG 12 days before Moyes was sacked. He was also the first to report that LVG was to be sacked regardless of the result of the FA Cup Final so it's not like he hasn't got a history of breaking stories. If Mourinho had been sacked today or tomorrow and then McDonnell said he knew about this possibly happening on Friday night but didn't report it, he'd get called a fraud in that case too.

Ask yourself, what would a journalist who is seemingly well regarded in the industry have to gain from making something like this up?
Who journalists regard doesn't mean much frankly. And that has to go double for football journalists the overwhelming majority of which are total clowns. I'm inclined to say they're talking shit until proven otherwise
Even if its true he should have his access privileges revoked. I wouldn't be inclined to help him with trashing the clubs reputation, especially if there's sources in the club who are leaking board level discussions. If no one was leaking anything you nearly wouldn't care, its important because someone clearly is.
If hes just making shit up then the mirror or whatever rag he works for can send a better behaved clown to sit in press conferences once a week, who isn't going to make the club look like total amateurs at every opportunity. Were very good at doing that ourselves, we dont need the help.

99withaflake

I don't know why it takes so long for our board to sack the manager. Dragging this is not helping anyone. If we keep this guy, the consequences are going to be long term.
If you want to discuss long term consequences, it's better to focus on the owners and CEO than the first team manager.

We sacked Moyes because we didn't think he was the correct man for the long term.

We sacked LVG because we didn't think he was the correct man for the long term.

We're on the verge of sacking Jose because there's doubts he's the correct man for the long term.

How many more managers do we sack, and how much more money do we spend, before the board and CEO actually set a long term strategy for the club, and employ staff (director of football, manager and players) who are suitable for the roles?

Edit: To stay on topic, the journo took a punt and was wrong. I hope the club ban him.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Reminder: works for the Mirror. Whatever happens he deserves it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If you want to discuss long term consequences, it's better to focus on the owners and CEO than the first team manager.

We sacked Moyes because we didn't think he was the correct man for the long term.

We sacked LVG because we didn't think he was the correct man for the long term.

We're on the verge of sacking Jose because there's doubts he's the correct man for the long term.

How many more managers do we sack, and how much more money do we spend, before the board and CEO actually set a long term strategy for the club, and employ staff (director of football, manager and players) who are suitable for the roles?

Edit: To stay on topic, the journo took a punt and was wrong. I hope the club ban him.
At the highest level picking the right manager is a difficult task because the expectations are so high.

I think we certainly need a DOF and maybe even a few other hires.

However we shoulnt expect were always going to be able to pick the right manager when the expectation is league and champions league titles.

Having said that Jose was a poor appintment IMO but I can see why it was done and I expecf many DOFs or whatever may have picked him too to “play it safe”

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I believe it was true, he was even going on tv standing behind the story. Ironically this leak might have kept Jose in his job for now. The public backlash before the game how snide the board were acting, with the big support Jose got from the crowd which helped the comeback, im sure made it very awkward to pull the trigger... for now
Gary Neville played a huge role in it. Jose had to go but Gary had to come out with his "back the manager" shite.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Some of you are talking shite. The club is horribly run but there’s no way they are swinging from one decision to another based on the fact it was leaked, or the backlash from the likes of Gary Neville. If they decided to sack him regardless of the result they will do so, if they haven’t they won’t.

RedDevil5

To be fair, he could be fired after a board meeting in the US either Monday or Tuesday (Monday is a holiday for many, but not all).

But I think the report is likely false. We're stuck with him most of this year.

ayushreddevil9

Can you explain further? Ed Woodward was scrolling through Twitter, saw the Gary Neville comments, saw that some fans agreed with him, and reversed his decision?
Seriously?? They typed the letter, then saw Red Nev and threw it in the shredder??
It was sarcasm. I remember people saying that this might force ed not to sack jose.

Apparently my post sounded way too serious

RedDevil@84

It was sarcasm. I remember people saying that this might force ed not to sack jose.

Apparently my post sounded way too serious
You never know who is serious or not nowadays on caf.
I have seen people think that Jose told the team to be more defensive during HT and made that kind of subs, but Pogba, Martial and Alexis suddenly decided to play well and not listen to Jose which resulted in us scoring 3 goals against Newcastle.

ayushreddevil9

You never know who is serious or not nowadays on caf.
I have seen people think that Jose told the team to be more defensive during HT and made that kind of subs, but Pogba, Martial and Alexis suddenly decided to play well and not listen to Jose which resulted in us scoring 3 goals against Newcastle.
Wow that's a great theory.

:lol::lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Maybe the club thought zidane was up for it and leaked stuff to the press.

Then found out zidane wasn't interested so thought we best stick as we are.

kps88

Like with a lot of transfer rumours or leaks, it's possible it was true at the time but circumstances changed. Or someone at the club intentionally gave him wrong information. I don't think he made it up unless he enjoys public shaming.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
This poor Mirror writer will be getting a kind of abuse on social media for giving so many Man United fans blue balls.

You can't really be angry at a tabloid sports writer for putting out stuff that isn't true, it's scorpion / frog stuff.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Old McDonnell had a farm, lielielielielie.

The Mirror is the only national tabloid newspaper with an organization structure that looks like a cactus because They're all fecking pricks, mate I'm telling you.

POF

I really don't care if he thought it was true or not. I actually don't care if it is true. Breaking that story was extremely damaging to the club so I'm delighted they banned him.

They should ban Jamie Jackson too for being Jamie Jackson and that Sky Sports guy for not asking enough questions about Wayne Rooney lately.

The media seems to have carte blanche to write whatever they want about the club with no consequences. The club needs to make a statement that makes the press think twice before their next hatchet job piece.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Some of you are talking shite. The club is horribly run but there’s no way they are swinging from one decision to another based on the fact it was leaked, or the backlash from the likes of Gary Neville. If they decided to sack him regardless of the result they will do so, if they haven’t they won’t.
Nah. I reckon Woodward wants to manage public relations and isn't above waiting until he had more public approval for swinging the axe.

The leak might even have been from him, as a sounding board.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We don't give out sources. If it turns out to be wrong we just say "at the time, I understood it to be correct" and we can carry on making stuff up.
D. McDonnell :"Senior sources told me I will be banned by Manchester United this weekend".

moodyred

Gary Neville backed Arsene Wenger too. Look how Arsenal is performing right now. He would of course back Jose.

Status
Not open for further replies.