Film Da 5 Bloods - Netflix ( A Spike Lee Film)

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Anyone checked out this new Spike Lee flick on Netflix?

5 stars from me, also for any Wire fans out there, 2 of the main characters are Lester Freeman & Clay Davis

Trailer

Plot from IMDB

" Four African American vets battle the forces of man and nature when they return to Vietnam seeking the remains of their fallen squad leader and the gold fortune he helped them hide. "

youngrell

Loved how he pulled out the shiiiiiiiittttttttttttttt
Classic.

Thanks for posting this by the way. I seen the title on Netflix and skipped right passed (anything with 'Da' in the title I automatically assume is cheap rubbish) and had no idea it was a Spike Lee film or what it was about. Lesson learned I suppose!

Gonna check it out this week if I can.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Delroy Lindo is a great actor IMO, always appreciated his roles.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Wrong forummmm
Apologies golden, did i not post in general?

Classic.

Thanks for posting this by the way. I seen the title on Netflix and skipped right passed (anything with 'Da' in the title I automatically assume is cheap rubbish) and had no idea it was a Spike Lee film or what it was about. Lesson learned I suppose!

Gonna check it out this week if I can.
You wont regret it my friend

Really made me want to visit vietnam !

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Apologies golden, did i not post in general?

You wont regret it my friend

Really made me want to visit vietnam !
Yep was in GF. No problem

This movie is on my list. Tried to watch it the other night but the internet was so bad that it kept stuttering the stream

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I just saw this. To be honest I found it a little ponderous early on and the flashbacks and the inserts didn't quite do it for me. However I stuck with it and I'm very glad I did; Spike Lee mixes riotous comedy, poignancy and thought-provoking black history like no other director I've seen.

The scene where it started to come together for me was on the boat with the traders, it set up the challenges the group will face later so well

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Watched it last night, it was good, nicely paced and fine performances, worth a watch, I'd give it 7/10

Tarrou

I enjoyed it but like most of Spike Lee's recent movies I found the messaging a bit heavy-handed and clunky

I loved the casting/acting, and I thought using the same actors in both timelines worked (while a bit jarring at first)

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I enjoyed it but like most of Spike Lee's recent movies I found the messaging a bit heavy-handed and clunky

I loved the casting/acting, and I thought using the same actors in both timelines worked (while a bit jarring at first)
A mate of mine reckons Lee turned down the opportunity to use de-aging tech. I haven't read into it myself but I agree it worked fine the way it was, I thought he was making the point that the other four had all gone on to get older and were remembering Norman through the prism of age (perhaps overly-glorifying him as their minds and shared hagiographic memories played tricks?) while Norman was captured in time at the age he died. If I hear it was purely budget concerns that deterred Spike from going full Irishman I'll be gutted, I think I've made a great point there :lol: