Daley Blind | Ajax Performances

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Really hope he will be cautious. Football is great and all, but feck it, if your heart cannot take it.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Jesus. I'm glad he was able to walk away from this one, but surely his career as a professional is over.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I love Blind, as a player and a professional. I was gutted we sold him and he is such a lovely player to watch.

I seriously hope he’s alright, reading that back is scary AF. The ICD did it’s job but I wonder if he might be having a serious think about his career now.

He's got to be done, unfortunately. The ICD did its job and kept him alive but theyre not a failsafe, and if hes had an episode so soon he will certainly be told to stop playing if he doesnt make the decision himself.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
feck sake, absolutely terrifying. Hope he has a long and beautiful life even if it’s not on the football pitch any longer.

Web of Bissaka

Health matters more.

Retirement and into other non-playing football positions/roles is not a bad choice at all.

He play football with "football intelligence", he understand the game fully well.
I'm confident he'll be fine with the managerial or other aspects of football management, etc.

0le

He's got to be done, unfortunately. The ICD did its job and kept him alive but theyre not a failsafe, and if hes had an episode so soon he will certainly be told to stop playing if he doesnt make the decision himself.
If this is true, given what also happened with Nouri I'd be amazed if Ajax allowed Blind to continue to play football.

RUCK4444

Wow scary stuff. I always like Blind, could never understand posters desperation to get rid of him when he was probably our best defender at the time and very versatile.

Hope he fully recovers and doesn't risk his health by pushing it if that's not the best way forward.

Wayne's World

Didn't he not have problems recently regarding his health?

He should take a decision to retire for him health and family

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Health before everything now. Shame because no player would want something like this to end their career.

United58

Dark side of football; injuries and illnesses. No matter how good you are, how hard you work, bad luck can screw you over. Really hope he can get back to full health

Deery

Dreary
Sad news that Daly has to presumably end his career like this, as it’s been already said your health is more important. Good luck with whatever you do Daly..

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Fingers crossed he'll be ok.

My dog has started to have heart problems and it's scary as feck, can't imagine what it's like when it's your own heart.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just quit Daley. Move into another off the field position in football
Not management. Punditry. Or just something stress free. Wish him absolutely the best, love character. True professional.

Jab

As someone with a s-ICD fitted its crazy he is still playing. My understanding (via mine) is that it can go off as a preventative measure and often fires without just cause (better to be safe than sorry) but is extremely painful/shocking (excuse the pun) when it occurs. You'd think as a professional athlete that it would have been set to only go off in extreme circumstances though, given his HR is likely to fluctuate quite heavily especially in a game.

This isn't as dangerous as some are making out due to the inherent preventative nature - there's no way for us of knowing if it was a legitimate life-saving event or a false-positive/too-eager reading. But he is likely to have some (mental more-so) trauma the next few days and discomfort in the chest given that it went off. Fingers crossed he is able to continue and assess with his cardiologist exactly why it fired and if it was justified - in which case it maybe should be time to hang up the boots.

Does he wear any padded/protective clothing at all? I was told not to play football/rugby/skiing etc, not because it could easily fire, but because the potential muscular damage that could occur in a heavy knock, due to it being fitted in the layer of muscle [could easily move around with heavy contact and cause heavy internal damage]

Reactions: Sultan

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Hope he is alright. He could still play for 5 more years so would be sad to see him retire already, but hope he does. Not worth taking the risk.

Gasolin

He's 30 now, maybe he just stops and focuses on his health. This is really sad.

Red_Aaron

Best wishes to Daley, I was a big fan of his here. During a tough period I felt he did very well for us and always carried himself well and represented the club in the highest regard

He's also one of the most beautiful men I've laid eyes on, hang up your boots daley you'll not want for modelling work :drool:

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Very sad he’s having to go through this; definitely one of my favourites of the post-SAF signings, doesn’t deserve this.

Grande

As someone with a s-ICD fitted its crazy he is still playing. My understanding (via mine) is that it can go off as a preventative measure and often fires without just cause (better to be safe than sorry) but is extremely painful/shocking (excuse the pun) when it occurs. You'd think as a professional athlete that it would have been set to only go off in extreme circumstances though, given his HR is likely to fluctuate quite heavily especially in a game.

This isn't as dangerous as some are making out due to the inherent preventative nature - there's no way for us of knowing if it was a legitimate life-saving event or a false-positive/too-eager reading. But he is likely to have some (mental more-so) trauma the next few days and discomfort in the chest given that it went off. Fingers crossed he is able to continue and assess with his cardiologist exactly why it fired and if it was justified - in which case it maybe should be time to hang up the boots.

Does he wear any padded/protective clothing at all? I was told not to play football/rugby/skiing etc, not because it could easily fire, but because the potential muscular damage that could occur in a heavy knock, due to it being fitted in the layer of muscle [could easily move around with heavy contact and cause heavy internal damage]
Thanks for informative background. At any rate it’s good that Daley is not one of the people mysteriously dead from sudden heart failure.

BorisManUtd

Hope he's ok now. So scary.

Health comes first so hopefully he retires now. Good player and very likeable guy.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Probably my favourite player of ours in the post Fergie years. I'm still gutted José binned him off before the likes of Rojo and Jones, and wasted money on an inferior player in Lindelof to replace him.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
He should absolutely retire.

What is he playing at.

He's had a good career and earned the money needed to support his family. Presumably he still has it.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I really liked him as a player. Has the intelligence to coaching and the looks to become a movie star. Hope he recovers.

RUCK4444

With his footballing intelligence you would hope that a transition into coaching and hopefully management would be the next step for him.

Would hate for something terrible to happen, better to hang up the boots and get those coaching badges Daley.

EngimaMK

Best wishes to Daley, I was a big fan of his here. During a tough period I felt he did very well for us and always carried himself well and represented the club in the highest regard

He's also one of the most beautiful men I've laid eyes on, hang up your boots daley you'll not want for modelling work :drool:
Agreed I always found him a really good looking man too!

I'm not gay though :nervous:

bsCallout

This will send my health anxiety through the roof. Been worried about my heart for 10 years.

Hope he's been sensible with his money so he can enjoy his life post-football.