Dalot vs Wan-Bissaka

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Who do you prefer to start for us? It's a good problem to have and means we can keep them fresh but to keep momentum one of them has to start regularly as seen by Dalot's upwards trajectory.

El Jefe

There's barely anything in it based on the last three games of AWB. Dalot probably edges it for his comfort on the ball but there isn't a gap that some here would have you believe.

Would be interesting to see how AWB would have improved if he had the same time Dalot was given to start the season.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Obviously Dalot. Even last night you could see the difference and he just came back from an injury break.

Smores

AWB has played alright but hes fundamentally ill suited to our style.

Dalot has been one of our best players this season so I'd be shocked if he doesn't regain his place immediately.

Zed 101

Dalot, TBH I could not believe that AWB suddenly came back seemingly from the wilderness, I thought ETH had written him off completely, in fairness to AWB he has done well the last few games, has even looked better if not great going forward, however Dalot's trajectory under ETH has been astonishing

Long Time Red

There's not much in it which is great because we actually have depth in one position.

Dalot is a better passer but lacks pace.

Wan-Bissaka is a better dribbler but lacks concentration at times.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Dalot but we don’t really need a RB anymore. With Laird potentially coming back in too unless there’s someone out there coming though like Hakimi then we may as well just concentrate on other areas. Great to see AWB back contributing again and looking hungry. It can only be a good thing to have real competition all over the squad. Our striker and midfield options still need a major boost in quality and freshness

JB7

AWB has played alright but hes fundamentally ill suited to our style.

Dalot has been one of our best players this season so I'd be shocked if he doesn't regain his place immediately.
Yep this is the one. With AWB he's done fine but we've had to use him as an orthodox right back, so basically defending and only overlapping the winger; Ten Hag wants his full backs coming into midfield and inside the wingers to give them passing lanes into the penalty area, AWB just can't do that. We've had to simplify the role for AWB and as such Dalot will regain his spot as soon as he's fully fit again - probably as soon as Friday I imagine.

Greck

Dalot. Off the back of yesterday it's not even that close, decent as AWB was on his own merit.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Dalot, but I'm happy that AWB has proved he has a part to play for us this year. The signs of him being completely surplus to requirements were overwhelming earlier in the season.

Drizzle

Laughed out loud seeing this thread title. Dalot is 10 times the player AWB is.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Dalot is suited to certain games where we need a more attacking threat and awb is suited to certain games where we need to be more defensive.

Glorio

Will be interesting to see who ETH turns to against City and Arsenal

TheGodsInRed

Really!?
Dalot is better defensively, offensively, has superior passing range and pass completion, is more press resistant, supports his winger with overlapping runs and also younger.
AWB is really good at slide tackles.

Last edited:

acnumber9

I prefer my right backs not to shoot every time they get within twenty yards of the goal so Wan Bissaka.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This better not be a serious question. AwB is a break dancer posing as a footballer, Dalot is one of the most promising youngish RBs around

Greck

Yep this is the one. With AWB he's done fine but we've had to use him as an orthodox right back, so basically defending and only overlapping the winger; Ten Hag wants his full backs coming into midfield and inside the wingers to give them passing lanes into the penalty area, AWB just can't do that. We've had to simplify the role for AWB and as such Dalot will regain his spot as soon as he's fully fit again - probably as soon as Friday I imagine.
We also get the better version of Antony who doesn't have two men in front of him. Decent as AWB was the sum total of his overlap is passing the ball back where it came, usually to Antony, Casemiro or Eriksen.

Long Time Red

I prefer my right backs not to shoot every time they get within twenty yards of the goal so Wan Bissaka.
Yes, I do find that a bit annoying.

He's scored once in his whole career and he averages nearly a shot every 90 minutes.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Dalot, but the inverted fullback role really does bring out the best of wan Bissaka in a way that the overlapping fullback did the complete opposite

Greck

Yes, I do find that a bit annoying.

He's scored once in his whole career and he averages nearly a shot every 90 minutes.
You guys have this backwards. It's a function of making driving runs into the box and finding space. He'll occasionally see situations where a shot is a wiser choice than forcing a pass. He bombs forward like a defacto winger

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I am happy to give AWB a run when we need to rest Dalot.

I imagine we can get a decent money for Wan Bissaka, it's more a question if we want to get rid.

Isafim

Who do you prefer to start for us? It's a good problem to have and means we can keep them fresh but to keep momentum one of them has to start regularly as seen by Dalot's upwards trajectory.
I think currently, Dalot. AWB has been shit this season. He's played more some seasons before. But I still think that due to EtH's game, it suits Dalot more than AWB

Long Time Red

We also get the better version of Antony who doesn't have two men in front of him. Decent as AWB was the sum total of his overlap is passing the ball back where it came, usually to Antony, Casemiro or Eriksen.
You are just seeing what you want to see.

In his 3 Premier League starts this season AWB has averaged higher xG assists per 90 minutes than Dalot has this season (0.18 vs 0.11) and has a similar number of key passes per 90 minutes 1.43 vs 1.59.

acnumber9

You guys have this backwards. It's a function of making driving runs into the box and finding space. He'll occasionally see situations where a shot is a wiser choice than forcing a pass. He bombs forward like a defacto winger
Nah. He’d two shots last night where passing was a better option. For a player with one one or two goals for the club, passing is almost always the better option.

clean-sheet-culkin

Dalot is suited to certain games where we need a more attacking threat and awb is suited to certain games where we need to be more defensive.
This is totally the right answer.

When AWB is 1-on-1, I trust 'The Spider' to dangle out a web and somehow come away with the ball. He is a very good tackler (esp when going to ground) and a pretty decent dribbler where his awkward style is pretty confusing.

On the flip side, Dalot needs a little more support from CB in defensive plays but the difference in attack is vast as we saw yesterday. AWB doesn't look like he knows quite what to do in the final 3rd (or perhaps is lacking the confidence), whereas Dalot will just make a rapid decision or carry on through to goal and have a shot himself if there isn't an option.

On balance I'd pick Dalot, but the two can only improve each other and AWB is a pretty decent back up.

JB7

In his 3 Premier League starts this season AWB has averaged higher xG assists per 90 minutes than Dalot has this season (0.18 vs 0.11) and has a similar number of key passes per 90 minutes 1.43 vs 1.59.
Those 3 starts have been against 3 of the worst teams in the league.

I like AWB but he's not in the same league as Dalot at the moment.

Greck

You can't start with the bolded then follow it up with selective stats. xG and XA when comparing fullbacks is the height of stats folly. The fullback position doesn't even have anywhere close to enough production. Who uses goals and assists to compare fullbacks? Further made even worse using 3 games.

Yakuza_devils

Both are good and nothing much between them as of now. It will depend on who can improve further. If one of them can reach Shaw's level then we will have very strong RB and LB.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
We're compromising either way. Dalot is slower, Wan Bissaka is worse in attack.

NiceGuyEddie

Dalot is the superior player, but I'd keep AWB in the squad as a backup. Didn't he get a decent assist a couple of games back?

Castia

Dalot for sure is better but fair play to AWB he's taken his chance in the team and done well.

Ekeke

You can't start with the bolded then follow it up with selective stats. xG and XA when comparing fullbacks is the height of stats folly. The fullback position doesn't even have anywhere close to enough production. Who uses goals and assists to compare fullbacks? Further made even worse using 3 games.
Barcelona, Liverpool etc

Plenty of people talk about end product from fullbacks. Usually thats one of the main knocks on AWB.