Dan Ashworth - Newcastle DoF currently tending to his garden

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Nope that's not necessary. Google/Microsoft/Apple/Meta or any of the top tech companies and mobile operators will gladly hand over data/metadata to the police when requested.
I'm sure you've been called out on this but this is just not true.

Also, Newcastle rejecting arbitration is a little bit funny.

diarm

If Newcastle are so convinced they hold all the cards and that the terms of his contract are so watertight in their favour, then why would:

1) Dan Ashworth attempt to bring them into arbitration?
2) Newcastle refuse to enter said arbitration?

If this ever ends up in court, a refusal to engage in arbitration will reflect badly on them and if they are 100% convinced in their case, why take the risk? Just attend the meeting with the independent third party, lay out the facts and state your intended position.

Them rejecting it outright would suggest to me that they are less than totally convinced on the strength of their case.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
If Newcastle are so convinced they hold all the cards and that the terms of his contract are so watertight in their favour, then why would:

1) Dan Ashworth attempt to bring them into arbitration?
2) Newcastle refuse to enter said arbitration?

If this ever ends up in court, a refusal to engage in arbitration will reflect badly on them and if they are 100% convinced in their case, why take the risk? Just attend the meeting with the independent third party, lay out the facts and state your intended position.

Them rejecting it outright would suggest to me that they are less than totally convinced on the strength of their case.
You can imagine that Ashworth has also shown us his contract and the terms?

diarm

You can imagine that Ashworth has also shown us his contract and the terms?
100%

On a side note, he also knows exactly how much contact he did or didn't have with Newcastle while he was on gardening leave at Brighton. Which I'd imagine will keep manners on them for anyone still spoofing about getting the police involved to request meta data from his social media accounts.

bringbackbebe

WhatsApp is encrypted. Apple have refused to hand over peoples information before as well. They have declared that they will pull out of the UK before allowing the government access to their encryption so, no they wont all hand over personal data when asked.
I'm sure you've been called out on this but this is just not true.

Also, Newcastle rejecting arbitration is a little bit funny.
Don't want to take the thread off course but:

Google:
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...giving-user-data-authorities-documents-reveal

Meta (facebook/insta/whatsapp - yes, the data itself is encrypted in whatsapp but metadata is freely collected, stored and used for internal ad revenue as well as legal compliance):
https://www.facebook.com/privacy/policy?section_id=10-HowDoWeRespond

Meta scrutinizes every government request and produces only the information that is narrowly tailored to respond to each request. Depending on the request, Meta may produce:
Basic subscriber information: Such as name, length of service, payment information, email addresses, and recent login/logout IP addresses.
Records pertaining to account activity: Such as message headers and IP addresses.
The stored contents of an account: Such as messages, photos, videos, timeline posts, and location information.
For additional information on data we disclose in response to government requests, please see our guidelines for government requests.
Microsoft:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/corporate-responsibility/law-enforcement-requests-report
https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-ca/privacystatement

Apple (does not disclose publicly but enough shady practices there):
https://www.wired.com/story/apple-google-push-notification-surveillance/

Metadata in centralized encryption apps is almost always captured and stored. Basically information like "who talks with who", "when", "how frequently", "how many bytes of data is transferred". I have "personally" been witness to a case where Microsoft shared this data with India cyber crime. All these companies need a way to do business in the country and the only way is to cooperate with agencies and not run afoul. Look at what's happened to CTemplar when they refused to share metadata with the five eyes alliance.

This is where open source p2p apps like Briar or self hosted protocols like Matrix stand out over the rest of the pig farm apps. The latter is what I (and my family) use.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

I can see this being resolved out of arbitration court. No-one outside of the parties involved will know the amount paid and everyone will just get on with their days like it should have been originally. Newcastle lose no face despite the defiant stance in public and United get Ashworth.

F-Red

I'm imagine the arbitration is that the notice in his contract is probably long, and that time period of gardening leave is deemed excessive in terms of protecting the interests of Newcastle United, argument being that 3 transfer windows is a long time in football.

If Ratcliffe has confidence, then it appears it'll be all resolved soon.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The source that said United are still planning with Ten Hag in charge was from Athletic too, right? Wonder if that's from today's meeting too
It wasn't, article came out before it happened. The ten Hag line was just what the club have been saying for a while, and the point of the article was essentially that things are changing quickly as Ineos get their own people in.

SAF is the GOAT

Not a direct matter to us but certainly linked(only if we'll also take him to the HOR role)

Baxquux

Why would you not want us to focus on getting the man we actually want? I don't get it, why just give up and chase someone else when this is clearly the main target. We settle for less over and over and it gets the club nowhere.
Given that SDB's stepping back so quickly, and that it was, seemingly, his oversight role that would have clashed with what Edwards wanted (an expanded version of Ashworth's planned role) , questions have to be raised why they staked so much on Ashworth instead of doing what they could to bring in a proven (PL and CL winning) top-level DOF in Michael Edwards. Ineos already has the multiclub model he discussed in his interview explaining why he returned to Liverpool (wanting to work across more than one club project), and Wilcox is seemingly lined up to do what Richard Hughes has bene hired for at Liverpool in terms of the day-to-day technical director stuff. Edwards has excellent reputation and proven record in bringing in precisely the up and coming, technical but also 'gritty' players that are lacking within United's spine (midfield being major one, but also defence, someone to compete with Hojlund). And crucially, hiring him wouldn't have meant going through this kind of wrangling and one-upmanship process Newcastle are engaged in ( to demonstrate that they're United's rivals), it would seem.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Why would you not want us to focus on getting the man we actually want? I don't get it, why just give up and chase someone else when this is clearly the main target. We settle for less over and over and it gets the club nowhere.
I never said that mate, I said we should keep our options open any potential feckery, like what Newcastle are doing now. Would you rather a DOF now in the summer or after the summer and let wilcox and berarda take temporary charge of transfers?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I never said that mate, I said we should keep our options open any potential feckery, like what Newcastle are doing now. Would you rather a DOF now in the summer or after the summer and let wilcox and berarda take temporary charge of transfers?
Yes. If Ineos are convinced Ashworth is the right man for the job, then absolutely stick to that, and be patient for his arrival. His role is to be transformative for the club from a strategic perspective, you don't just move on to option B unless he is entirely unattainable.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Would you rather be known as the club who make offers to staff and turn 180 after they’ve done their part and given notice?

some of you have zero patience. He’s the man we want, then we wait

Last edited:

The Mitcher

Yes. If Ineos are convinced Ashworth is the right man for the job, then absolutely stick to that, and be patient for his arrival. His role is to be transformative for the club from a strategic perspective, you don't just move on to option B unless he is entirely unattainable.
We have no idea if he will succeed or fail and he's not the only DoF in world football. Again, I said KEEP OPTIONS OPEN. Pursue him as number 1, but don't get mugged by Newcastle scuppering the entire summer transfer window.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I would rather we actually get the man we've identified as the best man for the job, rather than hiring a worse option because we can't wait a few months.

The Mitcher

I would rather we actually get the man we've identified as the best man for the job, rather than hiring a worse option because we can't wait a few months.
The other options may not even BE worse, it's not a player we're discussing.