Dan Ashworth - Newcastle DoF currently tending to his garden

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hired by the FA as “Director of Elite Football Development” in 2012. Which seems to have been followed by a glut of extremely technical and talented young English footballers.

Hired by Brighton as DoF in early 2019. Fair to say they’ve got the football side of things pretty much bang on over the last four years!

At Newcastle now, since Feb 2022. Don’t think they’ve made a single bad signing on his watch?

Is there any chance all the above is coincidence or this guy just really really good at his job?

Oh and Manchester United shortlisted him as Technical Director in 2018. Didn’t offer him a job though. Sure why would we?!

Its all gone Shane Long

Newcastle are going about building a dynasty in the proper way, buying good players at decent prices, not overpaying, getting the right structure in and the right people in like Dan to run it. All cause they have owners who care about the club and the city as a whole. They’re my biggest fear out of the other big clubs.

Random Precision

Supports
Newcastle
Hired by the FA as “Director of Elite Football Development” in 2012. Which seems to have been followed by a glut of extremely technical and talented young English footballers.

Hired by Brighton as DoF in early 2019. Fair to say they’ve got the football side of things pretty much bang on over the last four years!

At Newcastle now, since Feb 2022. Don’t think they’ve made a single bad signing on his watch?

Is there any chance all the above is coincidence or this guy just really really good at his job?

Oh and Manchester United shortlisted him as Technical Director in 2018. Didn’t offer him a job though. Sure why would we?!
He’s one of the best. Since his arrival in 2022 he has transformed the club from top to bottom. He works extremely well with Darren Eales the CEO who we brought in from Atlanta in the MLS. Scouting, commercial, academy have all been transformed and we are beginning to see the results.

Revan

Assumptionman
Newcastle are going about building a dynasty in the proper way, buying good players at decent prices, not overpaying, getting the right structure in and the right people in like Dan to run it. All cause they have owners who care about the club and the city as a whole. They’re my biggest fear out of the other big clubs.
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia cares about the English city of Newcastle?

Fr. Todd Unctious

:lol: :lol:

Of course they do...

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He has done really well there. I think "never made a bad signing" is over the top though. Wood and Gordon were both poor signings IMO and I think Barnes will prove the same (obviously too early to judge though).

MegadrivePerson

Anybody else immediately think of the Julian Barratt character Dan Ashcroft in Nathan Barley whenever they hear this guys name mentioned?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He has done really well there. I think "never made a bad signing" is over the top though. Wood and Gordon were both poor signings IMO and I think Barnes will prove the same (obviously too early to judge though).
Brave to say that for a player who got a goal and assist in his first game!

I think Wood was a below average signing but I suppose came with the many variables of them needing an instant striker and being priced out of other moves perhaps. Plus they did manage to shift him for 15m in the end.

Gordon was definitely overpriced based on ability he was showing at Everton but was always bought with the potential in mind and he did have a very strong Euros and seems to be getting better every game with Newcastle.

I think you're always going to have one or two duds and it's unavoidable but his Brighton and Newcastle deals have an excellent track record of either working out or working out and adding profit to the club after (At Brighton). I feel like they always have smooth business too. No fuss or long drawn out deals. It's all dealt with quite swiftly and with little to no drama.

Redstain

He's credible and that's all you can ask of a DOF really it's also a way to measure their competence. Newcastle have just hired good individuals for their hierarchal positions. It's not a science just logical. United under the Glazer's haven't and that's where the disparity begins and ends.

Abraxas

They buy good players. They're not even ones that make you take a second look, really. I didn't have to rub my eyes when they signed Isak or Tonali, or Guimaraes and they're probably the stand out deals that cost them money. You know they're good players but they're still players that have something to prove to say that they're top 4 quality. But they all hit the ground running which says that they're very good at identifying suitability and must have a very good grasp of the analytics behind how they're putting a team together.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Brave to say that for a player who got a goal and assist in his first game!

I think Wood was a below average signing but I suppose came with the many variables of them needing an instant striker and being priced out of other moves perhaps. Plus they did manage to shift him for 15m in the end.

Gordon was definitely overpriced based on ability he was showing at Everton but was always bought with the potential in mind and he did have a very strong Euros and seems to be getting better every game with Newcastle.

I think you're always going to have one or two duds and it's unavoidable but his Brighton and Newcastle deals have an excellent track record of either working out or working out and adding profit to the club after (At Brighton). I feel like they always have smooth business too. No fuss or long drawn out deals. It's all dealt with quite swiftly and with little to no drama.
The Wood transfer more than paid for itself by taking away an important goalscorer from their relegation rival at the time. Felt like a real wanker move but certainly worked out for them. Even if he was/is a bit shit.

I’ve a horrible feeling Gordon will be excellent for them this season. He was very good against Villa

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The Wood transfer more than paid for itself by taking away an important goalscorer from their relegation rival at the time. Felt like a real wanker move but certainly worked out for them. Even if he was/is a bit shit.

I’ve a horrible feeling Gordon will be excellent for them this season. He was very good against Villa
Yeah, I knew there was an ulterior motive with the Wood deal that I was forgetting.

IrishRedDevil

Newcastle getting him in May 2022 was a big play.
How other big clubs let it happen so easily is beyond me.

Its all gone Shane Long

They might, you never know, yeah they will make money out of, that’s what it’s all about but they will help the club and city in general, look at City, many a time I had walked around Gibbon street before it they were bought and it was awful, now look at it. Would love them same investment for us.

Skills

Snitch
We weren't ever going to hire anyone like him though.

The whole messaging around the DOF role seems to have missed the point at United. Even back then we were on about how we needed a DOF that would work with Solskjaer - rather than everywhere else, where the manager works for the DOF.

It's like we hired someone ceremoniously for the role, but wanted to keep things as they were.

Up until the managers influence at this club is demoted to one of a head coach, we'll continue making mistakes we have been for the last 10 years.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We weren't ever going to hire anyone like him though.

The whole messaging around the DOF role seems to have missed the point at United. Even back then we were on about how we needed a DOF that would work with Solskjaer - rather than everywhere else, where the manager works for the DOF.

It's like we hired someone ceremoniously for the role, but wanted to keep things as they were.

Up until the managers influence at this club is demoted to one of a head coach, we'll continue making mistakes we have been for the last 10 years.
This. If we had even hired Ashworth, he would've gotten frustrated and left within in a year. What we were really looking for was a "yes man".

Thiagoal

They’ve made some very smart signings to be fair to them! Bruno and Tonali midfield is as good as any in the league and they are adding one or two quality players per window so not disrupting things too much! I think they will be challenging City before we are unfortunately!

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm sure he'd still be easily pried away from Newcastle though.
I'd think it depends on how big the Saudis are willing to go with Newcastle, if it becomes an after thought in case they got Saudi clubs outright in cl than it should be easy, but if they're willing to dig deep than I don't think anyone could pry anyone major out of them the way city never lost a prime player of theirs.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

Yeah, the Wood transfer obviously had a more complicated calculus. But it turned out that he did nothing for them and they didn't need him at all as they cruised to safety.

I disagree on Gordon. Total nothing player with a very low ceiling. His skillset is non-existent beyond running around like a madman at times and his final third production has been awful as a professional.

Andersonson

Gordon has been very good actually. And Wood was a replacement for Isak when he was injured and a depth/cover signing after that. Not much of a fee either for a proven striker to be backup. Smart signing imo

FriedClams

Gordon has been very good actually. And Wood was a replacement for Isak when he was injured and a depth/cover signing after that. Not much of a fee either for a proven striker to be backup. Smart signing imo
Gordon has had one good game so far for them, and it was the opening day this season. Granted, he looked much better but until that recent performance his time at Newcastle was underwhelming, and most of their fans wanted Barnes to start ahead of him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Gordon has had one good game so far for them, and it was the opening day this season. Granted, he looked much better but until that recent performance his time at Newcastle was underwhelming, and most of their fans wanted Barnes to start ahead of him.
Commentator said he’s been in flying form in preseason. Wouldn’t be the first time a new signing has a rocky first season and kicks on in season two. God knows we’re all hoping Antony does exactly that.

SirScholes

Doubt they care about the city haha

Random Precision

Supports
Newcastle
Commentator said he’s been in flying form in preseason. Wouldn’t be the first time a new signing has a rocky first season and kicks on in season two. God knows we’re all hoping Antony does exactly that.
Gordon was player of the tournament at the Under 21’s Euro’s, he was outstanding and is carrying that form into the new season. EH working his magic on him.

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle
:lol: :lol:

Of course they do...
Newcastle aren't only owned by PIF.

Does Jamie Reuben care? A guy who has invested years of his life into developing the city? Yes, I'd imagine he does.

What about Amanda Staveley and Mehrdad Ghodoussi? They may not have any ties, but their care is emphatically displayed by their actions since taking over. Not just in terms of attendance and football related matters, but in terms of donating to food banks and the likes too.

These three people run NUFC day to day, not PIF, or the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia - they are just investors, as PIF's name suggests.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wish we had a great dof. All we do is follow the managers wishes with the club offering no excellence from its own end. Newcastles improvement has been staggering.

Andersonson

And he has been there for half a season.... And is 22.

Bizarre to be judged a failure after 6 months at a club at that age

gajender

Wish we had a great dof. All we do is follow the managers wishes with the club offering no excellence from its own end. Newcastles improvement has been staggering.
Newcastle improvement so far had more to do with Eddie Howe than any body else let's wait for couple of seasons before hailing the impact of their DOF .

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton

I think the technical players would have received that important coaching long before Ashworth was appointed.

If I had to pick out one name for improving the standard it would be Trevor Brooking.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Newcastle improvement so far had more to do with Eddie Howe than any body else let's wait for couple of seasons before hailing the impact of their DOF .
But but but Eddie Howe was a shit manager?

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
Gordon really didn't do anything last season but he wasn't really called upon either. Said after the season that his fitness levels were nowhere near good enough for what Howe wants from his players after the move from Everton. He had a really good summer and started the season well, fans opinions are quickly turning as no one was really excited about him or the fee we paid.

Wood was a pure panic buy in January when we were fighting against relegation after the takeover and Wilson was injured. Think he did his job in the end but I was shocked how bad he was even in things I always assumed he was good at like holding up the ball and finishing. It's a miracle we got £15m for him from Forest, he's absolutely done as a PL footballer.