Dan Ashworth - Newcastle DoF currently tending to his garden

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Congratulations? He's alright but will never be the 'new Carrick' he was hyped up to be. And apparently it doesn't matter as different people were in charge of the clubs.

Man United are obviously a bigger club but I don't think it matters if he wanted to join Man United or Shrewsbury Town. Our new owners chose him to be the man to run the club after the takeover and he wants out the very second another club approaches him. Think loyalty and patience just aren't his strengths.
Why would anybody be loyal towards Newcastle? you can still be the new PSG, looks promising at first and ended up with stars leaving the club (and without winning anything).

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Congratulations? He's alright but will never be the 'new Carrick' he was hyped up to be. And apparently it doesn't matter as different people were in charge of the clubs.
Aren't you missing the point here? Your implication is you're being dicks because we were dicks over Lingard, but we were dicks because you were dicks over Longstaff?

See how silly that all sounds? Childish.

Ultimately you're making a rod for your own back because when it comes to replacing him, unless the guy is unemployed, their fee just went up.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The Lingard thing was all about being a dickhead to a player that had been on the books for over two decades at Man Utd. You had no plans to use him outside of emergencies and were never going to sign another contract with him. He was still in the England squad but didn't make the cut to the Euros due to barely playing after the January window. We probably ended up dodging a bullet there but thought it was unfair on Lingard.
Why would you care about how we treated a player that had nothing to do with you? You're just clutching at straws now trying to find a reason to excuse shit business practices.

We kept him because we had nothing to gain from loaning him out just so he could run his contract down. He played 89 minutes up to the end of the January window, and 267 after it closed, so it's even bollocks that we didn't use him, even if his minutes were limited.

As for him still being in the England squad, he was literally left out of the squad for the Euros that summer, and was called up for the four games in September, two of which were against Andorra.

The fact is that you being overly stubborn about releasing Ashworth to us (and I'm not suggesting you just let him walk without getting any compensation) just makes it more likely that other clubs will make it equally as difficult for you to get a replacement.

DownRiver

Does Ashworth have a style of play? He seems to be a good operator, not instilling a philosophy per se.

SJR wants a legacy with a style of play, and we all know how much he admires City’s style of play.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
So Ashworth would be responsible for firing and hiring managers? I mean how many managers would not get along with Ashworth? He probably doesn’t know halve of them.
Come on, now.

Anyway, I'm very excited about this appointment. Moving in the right direction.

croadyman

So Ashworth would be responsible for firing and hiring managers? I mean how many managers would not get along with Ashworth? He probably doesn’t know halve of them.
Pretty sure Ashworth will have a knowledge of these non British managers such as Nagelsmann and Inzaghi. I think either of these should be right near the top of our shortlist for the summer.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
His garden is greener than the other, it's been called the garden of football Eden.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Pretty sure Ashworth will have a knowledge of these non British managers such as Nagelsmann and Inzaghi. I think either of these should be right near the top of our shortlist for the summer.
100%. I like inzaghi. He plays attractive football and he also keeps it tight at the back. Deserves a shot.

Cloud7

Mourinho, probably :lol:

DJ_21

Mourinho, probably :lol:
True, but the chances of us re hiring him are 0% :lol: I think it’s just a case of Radcliffe wanting Ashworth to have a say who the next manager is since he’ll be working closely with him. But surely this can be done during a phone call no?

MileStolar

100%. I like inzaghi. He plays attractive football and he also keeps it tight at the back. Deserves a shot.
Also, he looks like a winner. We seriously need to start winning shit, not just compete and play attractive. Fergie knew when to play ugly to get it done, here's hoping whoever comes next knows when and how to do that.

croadyman

Also, he looks like a winner. We seriously need to start winning shit, not just compete and play attractive. Fergie knew when to play ugly to get it done, here's hoping whoever comes next knows when and how to do that.
Yeah he certainly does,also like that whole swagger of Nagelsmann too. Can't decide whether De Zerbi or Amorim can make the step up

DJ_21

Yeah he certainly does,also like that whole swagger of Nagelsmann too. Can't decide whether De Zerbi or Amorim can make the step up
I like that Amorim, he’s in my top 3. It is a big step up though from the Portuguese league.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Would be funny if he comes and first thing he says is : "lets modernize the facilities, especially the swimming pool".

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Man Utd couldn't even agree the compensation with Maguire for his remaining contract, let alone Ashworth. Ashworth will has his garden leave till 2026, and Newcastle will find a replacement.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Man Utd couldn't even agree the compensation with Maguire for his remaining contract, let alone Ashworth. Ashworth will has his garden leave till 2026, and Newcastle will find a replacement.
Quite confident this won’t be the case.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The Lingard thing was all about being a dickhead to a player that had been on the books for over two decades at Man Utd. You had no plans to use him outside of emergencies and were never going to sign another contract with him. He was still in the England squad but didn't make the cut to the Euros due to barely playing after the January window. We probably ended up dodging a bullet there but thought it was unfair on Lingard.
He wouldn't have made the cut to the Euros because he was shit. United were obviously still very sour after Newcastle's ridiculous valuation of Longstaff a few seasons earlier, completely understandable at the £60m fee quoted was almost as ridiculous as the £20m quoted for an executive. It was a completely fair fee too, you were getting a player way, way above your level who would help keep you in the league, which would have been far more valuable than any loan fee you potentially had to pay. Lingard had every opportunity to move prior to that transfer window, it's his own fault he turned everyone down that summer so he could play with Ronaldo.

Lemoor

How confident are you in your prediction?

AndySmith1990

Yeah obviously we're not going to wait around for 2 years before a key member of staff can start their job. A compromise will be found

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
One thing i don't get is the hate towards Newcastle. Do remember they are owned by the Saudis and IMHO they could have taken the whole thing as an insult. and now they're stubborn.
That's the public narrative yes.

You also have to realize the Saudis do business with INEOS. They will be just working out a deal and due to FFP room on both sides we both want the best possible deal I assume.

AltiUn

As you made such a bold prediction, it’s only fair that you’re banned if you’re wrong

CM

What does one have to do with the other? The previous owners took no interest in the football operations of the club so it was of little consequence to them whether Maguire was pushed out the door or not. The new owners are far more hands on and their appetite to recruit Ashworth is obvious.

It hasn't even been established whether that period of garden leave is enforceable by law.

AltiUn

What does one have to do with the other? The previous owners took no interest in the football operations of the club so it was of little consequence to them whether Maguire was pushed out the door or not. The new owners are far more hands on and their appetite to recruit Ashworth is obvious.

It hasn't even been established whether that period of garden leave is enforceable by law.
I think a lot of other fanbases are still in the coping phase, pretending that the Glazers are still bumbling around, ruining everything when in reality we have someone completely different at the helm.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Wumming usually isn't based on much fact or common sense.

dubplate warrior

I mean, this logic can't hold when there are completely different people in charge right?

Thing is I'm sure you saw a similar change in how the club is run when Usmanov left.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Is there any update regarding the progress of talks with Newcastle?
Probably dragging feet for the sake of it, leaving it like 2 days to reply to basic questions or offers then replying with obscure answers with not much detail.

Can imagine they will make it very annoying.

Uniquim

Man United are obviously a bigger club but I don't think it matters if he wanted to join Man United or Shrewsbury Town. Our new owners chose him to be the man to run the club after the takeover and he wants out the very second another club approaches him. Think loyalty and patience just aren't his strengths.
Ashworth has known Brailsford for years, and United were in touch with him over a role a few years ago but he declined because we wanted to place him below Murtough. So he ended up going to Newcastle instead. Genuinely think he'd come to United then if he'd be given the role we're offering now.

In any case this is someone who puts in place good structures at clubs, brings in the right people, and oversees upgrades to training facilities and the like. As long as he sticks around long enough to go through an overhaul of our backroom and structures, it should have long-term benefits for us. Like at Brighton he was at the heart of making the pathways to the first team a part of their signing strategy, and helping them reach their target of ensuring 30% of PL minutes were played by academy players. In the England setup standardised the scouting reports and forms, so there was continuity in tracking and measuring players, helped introduce online training and education resources for coaches, and helped future-proof the FA footballing setup, which played a part in England's teams doing well in a lot of age levels now.

Both Brighton and the FA is still reaping the benefits of his time and work there, as I'm sure Newcastle will, and I'm sure we will even if he doesn't stick around forever.