Dani Alves

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He has achieved everything bar World Cup and I'm not sure he can keep himself physically fit enough to be an efficient starter by Qatar 2022 in such a position that requires intense and continuous running.
But that's Brazil's problem, not his. There are still regional tournaments that want winning and Brazil will continue to pick their best players until they aren't.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Can totally see us giving him a 1 year contract just to "save money for more urgent positions".

El Presidente

It’s funny how everyone is pointing out his age as an issue when our starting RB is 33 and wasn’t even good at 23.

MattyB1986

It’s funny how everyone is pointing out his age as an issue when our starting RB is 33 and wasn’t even good at 23.
Why the majority feel RB is a priority to fix this transfer window with someone younger and able to grow with a team. What sense would it be to sign an older RB to replace him again when we can sign AWB and have two young RBs competing, and for depth.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It’s more a comment about Dalot still being unproven at top level than overrating Laird.

Dalot is barely out of U21 level and has so much to prove but you see posts about him to be our number 1 RW in dream lineups here.
Leaving Laird aside, which I assume was an exaggeration, the point stands that if we're honest we're more hopeful about Dalot as our long-term RB than confident, given he wasn't great defensively last year. He could learn those ropes for sure, but as you say he's an exciting prospect who needs to work on his defensive fundamentals not our guaranteed starting RB.

As for Alves, not for me. He's a 36 year old looking for his last payday, I'd prefer a good young player who we could conceivably see tying the position down for the next decade.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Leaving Laird aside, which I assume was an exaggeration, the point stands that if we're honest we're more hopeful about Dalot as our long-term RB than confident, given he wasn't great defensively last year. He could learn those ropes for sure, but as you say he's an exciting prospect who needs to work on his defensive fundamentals not our guaranteed starting RB.

As for Alves, not for me. He's a 36 year old looking for his last payday, I'd prefer a good young player who we could conceivably see tying the position down for the next decade.
Fair post I agree entirely.

poleglass red

would go against the new ethos that Ole wants to introduce ie young, hungry players moving forward collectively over coming seasons. I'm not against signing some experience but come on this lad is 36, great player as he is/was. The pace of the game would take some getting used to when he was 26 never mind 36. This would be a typical Woodward backed move. Thanks but no thanks.

El Presidente

Why the majority feel RB is a priority to fix this transfer window with someone younger and able to grow with a team. What sense would it be to sign an older RB to replace him again when we can sign AWB and have two young RBs competing, and for depth.
Oh, I agree that we shouldn’t be looking at him as a solution. I just stressed that if the option is between him and Young, I wouldn’t care less how old is Alves.

Bwuk

Would absolutely still walk into our side. Took the piss out of Argentina.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Would absolutely still walk into our side. Took the piss out of Argentina.
Nobody is doubting he'd be a good player, but we need to think of the future.

Short term 1-2 year fixes just aren't what we need right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.