Daniel Maldini

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I can't think of any more impressive than the Maldini line, but there are a few fairly famous second and third generation footballers, or other footballing families. Paolo's other son, Christian, was part of AC Milan's youth set up for a number of years, although never made a senior appearance, but is still a footballer.

Not three generations but Gonzalo Higuain, his dad Jorge, and his brother Federico all have senior appearances for River Plate.

Messi's grandad also played for Argentina.

Both Juan Ramon and Juan Sebastian Veron, father and son, played for Estudiantes.

Mauro Zarate of fleeting Premier League fame and three of his brothers are all professional footballers, which is a different kind of impressive I suppose, with four kids from the same family all making careers in the game.

Mkhitaryan's dad, Hamlet, played for the Armenian national team.

Eden Hazard's mum and dad were both footballers, as are his brothers, Thorgan and Kylian.

On the topic of brothers, another fleeting Premier League player, Wilson Palacios, is one of five who are all footballers.

Eidur Gudjohnsen as been mentioned as a second generation footballer, and his son is part of Iceland's U21 set up currently, so could have a third generation there.

Chicharito is a third generation footballer, but I think most were aware of that. His grandad on his mother's side and his dad have also represented Mexico.

Diego Forlan is also a third generation footballer in the same way, I think.

red4ever 79

I can't think of any more impressive than the Maldini line, but there are a few fairly famous second and third generation footballers, or other footballing families. Paolo's other son, Christian, was part of AC Milan's youth set up for a number of years, although never made a senior appearance, but is still a footballer.

Not three generations but Gonzalo Higuain, his dad Jorge, and his brother Federico all have senior appearances for River Plate.

Both Juan Ramon and Juan Sebastian Veron, father and son, played for Estudiantes.

Mauro Zarate of fleeting Premier League fame and three of his brothers are all professional footballers, which is a different kind of impressive I suppose, with four kids from the same family all making careers in the game.

Eden Hazard's mum and dad were both footballers, as are his brothers, Thorgan and Kylian.

On the topic of brothers, another fleeting Premier League player, Wilson Palacios, is one of five who are all footballers.

Eidur Gudjohnsen as been mentioned as a second generation footballer, and his son is part of Iceland's U21 set up currently, so could have a third generation there.

Chicharito is a third generation footballer, but I think most were aware of that. His grandad on his mother's side and his dad have also represented Mexico.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that. Really interesting.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
Valentino Mazzola
Sandro Mazzola

The biggest one ever for me.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Or maybe it was just a young lad missing a penalty.
It depends how you look at these things. Kicking a ball into the goal from 18 yards, unopposed by any player except for the opposition goalkeeper is the easiest thing in football. If the attacking player hits the ball well enough then the opposition keeper can't save it. The only dynamic that creates an element of doubt at the professional level is a psychological one. If a player takes a terrible penalty its because they've had a psychological breakdown of some some sort, rather than them being able to perform a basic physical function of football. Taking such a terrible penalty in a relatively non-competitive environment is noteworthy, in my opinion at least.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Good post but I'm really surprised you didn't mention Pogba. Both of his brothers play professionally.

Gopher Brown

Not even related, unless he was shagging at 9/10 years old he couldn’t be Lacina dad anyway
No, he isnt. Djimi isnt Adame and Lacina's father because it would make him 10 when he was had them.
Maybe that’s why Djimi was so shite, his development was stifled by having to look after screaming toddlers while he was meant to be at youth training.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
United had at least two 3rd generation players. Diego Forlan is a 3rd generation footballer. His father Pablo Forlan was an Uruguayan international and his grandfather Juan Carlos Corazzo was an independiente player and he managed Uruguay national team. Same with Chicarito. His father Chicaro played for Mexico while his grandfather Tomas Balcazar played in the 1954 WC. You might even squeeze Harvey Neville if you want to. Neville Neville was involved in football (general manager and club secretary at Bury), his father and uncle played for United and he is now a United player.

redIndianDevil

It depends how you look at these things. Kicking a ball into the goal from 18 yards, unopposed by any player except for the opposition goalkeeper is the easiest thing in football. If the attacking player hits the ball well enough then the opposition keeper can't save it. The only dynamic that creates an element of doubt at the professional level is a psychological one. If a player takes a terrible penalty its because they've had a psychological breakdown of some some sort, rather than them being able to perform a basic physical function of football. Taking such a terrible penalty in a relatively non-competitive environment is noteworthy, in my opinion at least.
So any player missing a penalty is a bottler who had a psychological breakdown? Sometimes the keeper dives the correct way and saves it, if De Gea had made up his mind and went in the other direction (just like he did for all the other penalties), it would have been a fine penalty.

Mindhunter

I feel bad for the kid. He just got subbed in and had to take the most difficult penalty.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Penalty spot is 12 yards away.

Classical Mechanic

So any player missing a penalty is a bottler who had a psychological breakdown? Sometimes the keeper dives the correct way and saves it, if De Gea had made up his mind and went in the other direction (just like he did for all the other penalties), it would have been a fine penalty.
Penalty spot is 12 yards away.
I was a little drunk when I posted that last night. That said it was an awful penalty and it seemed to me that he was afraid when he took it.

redIndianDevil

I was a little drunk when I posted that last night. That said it was an awful penalty and it seemed to me that he was afraid when he took it.
Looks can be deceptive but each to their own I guess. I felt the "psychological" thing was a bit OTT for someone missing a penalty, but if you were drunk then it's okay I guess :)

::sonny::

Didn’t rate him in the past, but he is growing up well, physically above all, similar to Paolo

Really interesting player now, a new incredible Maldini era

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Valentino Mazzola
Sandro Mazzola

The biggest one ever for me.
This. So very much this. Valentino was arguably the best player in the world at one point and probably still remains the best italian player ever this side of Meazza

And Sandro was a balon d'or caliber player in his own right

Ekeke

First time I've heard of him since I believe we had a friendly or a youth game against Milan and he showed some flashes of quality. Was probably 2-3 seasons ago

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Continues the proud family tradition of winning the Serie A with AC Milan. Lovely stuff.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Has he been good?
He only had a small role, I don’t think more than 10 appearances in the season and most of them off the bench (he’s only 20 years old). Probably one to watch in the next season or two.