Danny Higginbotham: In Pogba and Fernandes Man Utd have TWO world-class playmakers… Prem rivals face dilemma over which one to stop

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They should be for us what Silva and KDB were for City.
This (the 2017-18 version).

They also had Pep. We have Ole... Can he utilize them effectively? Is the question.

I don't expect us to pin Pogba and Bruno in the half-spaces like City, but it's an open question as to what setup frees them up to do damage.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I understand people are excited about the possibilities. I think we should be wary about the Spurs fixture. We can fall in to the trap of hype, I hope for the first game we stay in what's best for the team. Fred and Scott might be the best option with Bruno. We can't expect Pogba to play 90 minutes.
Hes been fit for 2 full months and would've had the same 2 month off season as everyone else right now - 1 month of training on their own in isolation, then 1 month of building fitness. This is essentially like a brand new season, so all their injuries in February and March dont mean much when we're kicking off mid June.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pogba wont be ready for this game. He will likely come at 65 minutes and would do the same for the following game.

Sancho was out for 3 months and he was not match fit till 3 games later and did not start the byern game.
Haha, every single player has been ‘out for three months!’

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Honestly, I don't see these two as a viable pairing for most games. I can see either one of two problems happening - either a Gerrard-Lampard type issue, where both try and adjust their game for the other and both end up diminished as as result; or that we get glorious chaos as both of them drift into pockets of space all over the pitch, hurting the opposition but leaving us wide open in the middle of the park.

With really strong tactical coaching, there is an outside chance it would work, but with respect to Ole I dont see him as that kind of coach.
They won't ever be a pairing. They'll have a third man in there with them. If england had Scholes or hargeaves fit the Gerrard and Lampard combo would have worked a lot better.

Brightonian

Pogba wont be ready for this game. He will likely come at 65 minutes and would do the same for the following game.

Sancho was out for 3 months and he was not match fit till 3 games later and did not start the byern game.
Sancho got his injury during lockdown, and was still recovering from it when the German teams started training again.

Pogba was fully fit by the time PL teams returned to training. He's undergone the exact same training as every other United player. He ought to be exactly as match fit as any other player.

EwanI Ted

They won't ever be a pairing. They'll have a third man in there with them. If england had Scholes or hargeaves fit the Gerrard and Lampard combo would have worked a lot better.
Yeah my post wasn’t clear, I assumed they’d be with another player. A midfield of just them two would be a non starter. But even with a DM I think they’re a bit too open.

Morpheus 7

Hes been fit for 2 full months and would've had the same 2 month off season as everyone else right now - 1 month of training on their own in isolation, then 1 month of building fitness. This is essentially like a brand new season, so all their injuries in February and March dont mean much when we're kicking off mid June.
There is a difference of being fit and being match ready. He's not played 90 minutes in months.

OleTheGreat

Pogba and Bruno are amazing players and must start the match against Spurs. For one, Pogba will want to o up against Jose and kick butt and secondly, they're so clever on the field of play that their vision for passes and inter-link play will baffle opponents. The added advantage is they are both goal scorers and will definitely take their chances. What i love even more about the 2 of them is they love to create fantastic opportunities for their team mates to score from. So selfless and beautiful our game will be. Fred can clean-up in front of defense and both Pogba and Bruno can help out as they're more in the complete midfielder category. We're gonna do so well with both of them in the team, i hope Pogba continues with us for a long time and we win a lot of titles with them.

Ole should be given all the credit for changing the whole picture at OT. He just put together the vision of The Great Alex.

Reactions: Sultan

bosnian_red

There is a difference of being fit and being match ready. He's not played 90 minutes in months.
Nobody has. Everyone has been off for 3 months which is way more than a normal off season. If a player missed February to May in a normal season but then recovered in June, with the start of the season in August, nobody would mention the injury. Its the same thing.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Its been so long since I last watched a match. Forgotten about the rules already. How many players in a side now? Whats offside?
It's a special technique for when you score a goal using your private parts. Football is normally safe for all ages but when private parts are involved it's quickly becoming PG 15. Basically off-the-limit side of football, that's why it's called offside.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It's a special technique for when you score a goal using your private parts. Football is normally safe for all ages but when private parts are involved it's quickly becoming PG 15. Basically off-the-limit side of football, that's why it's called offside.
I saw that on stage in Thailand.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah my post wasn’t clear, I assumed they’d be with another player. A midfield of just them two would be a non starter. But even with a DM I think they’re a bit too open.
In a 5-3-2 you could have a full back or defender step in to support the defensive guy.

A lot of options and we're definitely back on the up. Need a good signing or two this summer though which will be difficult.

Nickelodeon

Prem rivals face dilemma over which one to stop?!

We haven't played a single game with the two of them. I wish we could under-commit and over-deliver and never the other way around.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Whatever formation you play, having 2 midfielders whose tendency is to wander around means you're going to leave big gaps (unless you have a monster at DM, which we dont). If we're going to rotate then that'd be fine on the pitch, but having Pogba benched regularly will probably become a side show.
Ah...now I see the agenda:lol:

Morpheus 7

Nobody has. Everyone has been off for 3 months which is way more than a normal off season. If a player missed February to May in a normal season but then recovered in June, with the start of the season in August, nobody would mention the injury. Its the same thing.
Don't know how to explain the difference any simpler. If you haven't played properly since August, you are not going to have proper match rhythm. That's the main reason that players have pre season games. The players that were involved more in March should be sharper, muscle memory, in game concentration ect.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A'll the players haven't played for months so I think Ole will go with his best 11. This game against Spurs and the one against Leicester are our toughest remaing games potentially, and I for for one am hoping Ole adopts a positive approach by inluding both Pogba and Fernandes.

bosnian_red

Don't know how to explain the difference any simpler. If you haven't played properly since August, you are not going to have proper match rhythm. That's the main reason that players have pre season games. The players that were involved more in March should be sharper, muscle memory, in game concentration ect.
I get what you're saying but I'm saying not playing since March is the same shit at this point. The sharpness is gone. Form is gone. They didn't even train for 1.5-2 months. Just individual things which is hard to regulate. Its basically a fresh start for everyone, everyone coming in from their offseason with whatever level of fitness they managed to keep up themselves. Not having played regularly since September or March makes no difference at this point.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
What agenda?
The one running through your head, where Pogba needs dropping and will kick up a fuss. It’s fine. It won’t happen. He won’t be dropped. The reality is Fernandez is tactically more aware than Perreira and more effective than Lingard, Pogba has generally played next to McT or Fred with someone in the ten role ahead. Fernandes will replace the ten. Pogba is a class act. He will play the role that won him the World Cup.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I understand people are excited about the possibilities. I think we should be wary about the Spurs fixture. We can fall in to the trap of hype, I hope for the first game we stay in what's best for the team. Fred and Scott might be the best option with Bruno. We can't expect Pogba to play 90 minutes.
Bit negative ain’t it? We have 2 of the best midfielders in the world, why bench one? This is going to feel like a new season regardless. Pogba will be just as fit as the other lads.

Morpheus 7

Bit negative ain’t it? We have 2 of the best midfielders in the world, why bench one? This is going to feel like a new season regardless. Pogba will be just as fit as the other lads.
If you read my original post it might give more context. I'm still positive going in to this run of fixtures.

EwanI Ted

The one running through your head, where Pogba needs dropping and will kick up a fuss. It’s fine. It won’t happen. He won’t be dropped.
Yeah you just made up in your head mate. Pogba has never really kicked in a fuss, despite some pretty dreadful treatment by Mourinho. I assume this is some argument you’ve had with others and you’re thinking I have some chip on my shoulder about Pogba , but you’re wrong. It’s just difficult to manage two world class players for one position, whoever they are. It becomes the story of every game.

The reality is Fernandez is tactically more aware than Perreira and more effective than Lingard, Pogba has generally played next to McT or Fred with someone in the ten role ahead. Fernandes will replace the ten. Pogba is a class act. He will play the role that won him the World Cup.
Pogba hasn’t really thrived playing deep throughout his time with us. His performance in the World Cup was notable because it was something he hasn’t consistently managed with us. If that were a natural position for him this thread wouldn’t exist.

Gator Nate

It's a possibility. It's going to be an odd game, against a strong opponent, after a long lay off with no warm-up games. Think how rusty the team always looks in the first couple of pre-season friendlies; that's the stage of readiness they're likely to be at. We saw a lot of Bundesliga teams looking very wobbly in their first couple of games back, and the overall quality of the football was poor.

The answer, of course, is not to overreact to a result, positive or negative. It's just one game. Losing it won't mean the eleven games before it were 'false' and winning it doesn't mean we'll be bagging the treble next season.
You silly, silly man... That's not how things work here.

I'm hoping this break has done James some good, he looked like he could use a bit of time out of the limelight, he was struggling a bit towards the end.
On the contrary, I feel his form picked up with impressive displays against Watford, City (with some iffy decision making but he had them scared on the counter) and then got his long awaited goal against LASK. Let’s hope with Rashford and Pogba back alongside Martial he can pick up even more assists!

He’s had a good season so far considering it’s his second ever in professional football.

passing-wind

I think Mourinho would adopt a very negative approach if we started both Pogba and Fernandes. I can see him parking the bus. And if he does try to adopt a more adventurous approach then that will also be potentially to our advantage if the back line can stay consistent.
Mourinho made a very accurate assessment when he was on the pundits panel that we lack structure when teams fall back and play on the counter, yet if our weaknesses are so glaring why did he adopt the complete opposite approach in fixture against us earlier in the season. I think Spurs sitting back is the best way to disrupt our momentum but maybe the pride of Jose is too much of a factor to thin rationally.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We're likely going to play 5 defenders against top opposition & likely to dominate the possession against lesser & mid table team. I don't get the concern and a formation must change to 442 diamond. They can play together in the current formations & players.

davidmichael

On paper and both at their best you’re talking about two of the best midfielders in world football both in the same team so on paper it’s mouthwatering and potentially better than anything anyone else has in the league, that’s just it though as it’s on paper as they’ve never played together and you never know what Pogba you’re going to get on the pitch.

I think if we had an out and out defensive midfielder with lots of stamina and plenty in his legs in between them then I’d buy into the hype and wouldn’t see how it couldn’t work but right now neither McTominay or Fred are that type of player and Matic doesn’t have enough in his legs to cover the ground needed to cover Fernandes and Pogba for 90 minutes.

In an ideal world we’d get rid of Fosu-Mensah, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Lingard and Sanchez then bring in Sancho and an out and out defensive midfielder giving us options in midfield of Fernandes, Pogba, McTominay, Fred, Matic, Pereira (just signed a contract so not going anywhere) and a new defensive midfielder to replace Matic by the end of next season along with Garner but unless we sell Pogba I don’t see us bringing anyone in apart from Sancho.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
On paper and both at their best you’re talking about two of the best midfielders in world football both in the same team so on paper it’s mouthwatering and potentially better than anything anyone else has in the league, that’s just it though as it’s on paper as they’ve never played together and you never know what Pogba you’re going to get on the pitch.

I think if we had an out and out defensive midfielder with lots of stamina and plenty in his legs in between them then I’d buy into the hype and wouldn’t see how it couldn’t work but right now neither McTominay or Fred are that type of player and Matic doesn’t have enough in his legs to cover the ground needed to cover Fernandes and Pogba for 90 minutes.

In an ideal world we’d get rid of Fosu-Mensah, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Lingard and Sanchez then bring in Sancho and an out and out defensive midfielder giving us options in midfield of Fernandes, Pogba, McTominay, Fred, Matic, Pereira (just signed a contract so not going anywhere) and a new defensive midfielder to replace Matic by the end of next season along with Garner but unless we sell Pogba I don’t see us bringing anyone in apart from Sancho.
What? this is practically their MO.

Mctominay and Fred both cover huge amounts of distance in a match, their fitness is not an issue at all.

Dan_F

Why are people comparing them to Gerrard and Lampard. It’s a bit different when you can train together every day, rather than for a week every few months. Plus anyone could see that they needed a defensive midfielder behind them for it to work.

Zlatattack

This is exactly what we need, multiple creative options, multiple genuine goal threats, but we cannot sit back. We need to expand that throughout the squad. We cannot have the likes of Lingard/Periera in our squad, ie people who offer no creativity or goal threat. SAF's best teams had goals throughout the team.

ColvaleGoa

I dont Know what all this fuss is about Pogba and Bruno..:D:D

Rashford...Rashword will tear you apart!!!