g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Dante's Chelsea Striker Graveyard

TheReligion

Abusive
I think it was family issues with him. He has since stated he wished he'd stayed. £16m and 20 league goals in 49 league games is a good return. I think his goals to minutes ratio is amongst some of the best in premier league history, or not far off. He was a incredible finisher. Would have loved him to stay, but for the price, his goals return was fine
Meh. Transfermarkt has the fee at £23.4m. Either way in 2003 that was big money. In 5 years at the club (3 were out on loan) he played 49 league games.

I'm not sure you can paint Crespo as a success story really irrespective of his personal circumstances and Mourinho not really fancying him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Meh. Transfermarkt has the fee at £23.4m. Either way in 2003 that was big money. In 5 years at the club (3 were out on loan) he played 49 league games.

I'm not sure you can paint Crespo as a success story really irrespective of his personal circumstances and Mourinho not really fancying him.
Mourinho wanted to keep him both times.

First time he found the lure of Milan (who were one of the biggest clubs in the world at that point to him probably the biggest) too strong while second time personal circumstances (like two miscarriages for his wife) meant they wanted/needed to return to a place that felt more like home.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

It was definitely £16m. Im sure the news articles for his signing may say the correct fee. He may have been loaned out, and it was his choice. It wasnt the manager or club wanting him gone. But surely a flop is someone who just does not perform, and Crespo did. He still has one of the best goal to minutes ratios in premier league history. When he played for us, he was good. Thats why i dont consider him a flop.