Gaming 'Dark Souls', Formerly known as Project Dark

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Not sure whether to play it on PS4 or wait for the Switch version, I never played this as well.

Last edited:

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
I'm probably going to pick it up on PC since it's half price with the discount for owning the original. I appreciate there isn't much i'll find that different from DSfix but i'd like to have another run through (with the DLC this time!) and with the possibility of more invasions this time it should be quite fun.

The Bloody-Nine

The Great Hollow leads to Ash Lake, wasn't sure if you'd done it or not. Sounds like you have.

Ainu

I'm getting the remaster once I'm done with Bloodborne (which may take a while as I haven't finished it yet and I'm already planning a NG+ run). As I said in the PS4 thread earlier, I never got into Souls games after trying and failing Demon's Souls and then Dark Sourls, but it finally clicked since trying Bloodborne a couple of weeks ago and becoming obsessed with it. I'm fairly confident I can handle the Souls games now as well, although it'll be a different type of challenge I guess.

Aboutreika18

Trying to finish DS2 (including the DLC) and it's just a long, tedious, bloated slog compared to the first.

The game overall does feel like a proper B team title, that's trying to capture the magic of the first but it's so uninspired. Even the gameplay feels like a downgrade in a number of ways.

Ainu

Trying to finish DS2 (including the DLC) and it's just a long, tedious, bloated slog compared to the first.

The game overall does feel like a proper B team title, that's trying to capture the magic of the first but it's so uninspired. Even the gameplay feels like a downgrade in a number of ways.
Yeah level design is a serious step back from the first one. Not necessarily within an environment but certainly the way everything is connected. It lacks consistency.

Which version are you playing? The original or SotFS? I don't know how it is in the original, but in SotFS the gameplay relied on an overwhelming number of enemies way too often. Even many of the boss fights had annoying adds or consisted of multiple large enemies. It's by far the weakest of all Soulsborne games. I didn't particularly enjoy the DLC either but one of them did have one of my favourite boss fights in the series. The brutally difficult but completely fair and awesome Fume Knight.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I loved DS2. It possibly had something to do with it being my first DS experience. I never actually finished DS1 but that has nothing to do with the game. My pS3 was on its last legs and I'd just got a PS4 so.

Currently on Bloodborne and loving it.

I'd love to go back and play Dark Souls 1 and Demon Souls. Is that possible on the PS4?

Eriku

I loved DS2. It possibly had something to do with it being my first DS experience. I never actually finished DS1 but that has nothing to do with the game. My pS3 was on its last legs and I'd just got a PS4 so.

I'd love to go back and play Dark Souls 1 and Demon Souls. Is that possible on the PS4?
How far into DS1 did you get before your PS3 popped its clogs?

Definitely get DS:R and finish it. The ending is <3

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How far into DS1 did you get before your PS3 popped its clogs?

Definitely get DS:R and finish it. The ending is <3
I was probably 30% though it. To be honest I don't care for the stories of any of these games. Loved every one I've played but its all about the gameplay and world for me.

Eriku

I was probably 30% though it. To be honest I don't care for the stories of any of these games. Loved every one I've played but its all about the gameplay and world for me.
I’m not super deep into the story either, but the ambiance of the final battle was something else.

Aboutreika18

Yeah level design is a serious step back from the first one. Not necessarily within an environment but certainly the way everything is connected. It lacks consistency.

Which version are you playing? The original or SotFS? I don't know how it is in the original, but in SotFS the gameplay relied on an overwhelming number of enemies way too often. Even many of the boss fights had annoying adds or consisted of multiple large enemies. It's by far the weakest of all Soulsborne games. I didn't particularly enjoy the DLC either but one of them did have one of my favourite boss fights in the series. The brutally difficult but completely fair and awesome Fume Knight.
SotFS. I actually heard the original was worse, since apparently SotFS changed a lot of the enemy and item placements.

Yeah, the Fume Knight and Sir Alonne fights are fantastic spectacles, up there with some of the best in the series.

I dipped into the series fairly late (I think around 2013-14?) but I made a point to play in series order starting with Demon Souls and it was the best decision I could've made.

The game has a lot of interesting features that were never used in later games and the environment design is some of the best in the series.

Sadly, it's yet to be re-released and isn't available on PS Now, although everyone seems to be sure it will be remastered or remade at some point.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
The game has a lot of interesting features that were never used in later games and the environment design is some of the best in the series.
100%. The "Tower of Latria" is just the perfect Souls level. The atmosphere, the music, the lighting... It's all so, so good.

Aboutreika18

So I finally finished it, as far as my patience could go since I still have the Lud and Zallen fight left.

Seriously, whoever designed the Frigid Outskirts needs to be put in a cell. I traversed it several times but died at the boss once and then couldn't make it back, even with summons.

The Nashandra and Aldia fights were decent but both were pretty underwhelming for supposed final bosses, IMO. False King Allant and Gwyn were both much better end game bosses.

Now, onto Bloodborne. :)

Ainu

So I finally finished it, as far as my patience could go since I still have the Lud and Zallen fight left.

Seriously, whoever designed the Frigid Outskirts needs to be put in a cell. I traversed it several times but died at the boss once and then couldn't make it back, even with summons.

The Nashandra and Aldia fights were decent but both were pretty underwhelming for supposed final bosses, IMO. False King Allant and Gwyn were both much better end game bosses.

Now, onto Bloodborne. :)
I despawned every fecking last deer thingy in the Frigid Outskirts. It made the trek to Lud & Zallen almost bearable, but still, worst boss run in the series by some distance. It's not like the boss is a walk in the park either.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Just bought the trilogy for £35. Never played these games so what can I expect?

Planning on starting them after I've finished Sekiro. That and Bloodborne are the only two From Software games I've played, and I loved both so looking forward to starting these.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Planning on starting them after I've finished Sekiro. That and Bloodborne are the only two From Software games I've played, and I loved both so looking forward to starting these.
Well if you've played Bloodborne you should be okay. Overall mechanics and controls are more or less the same (levelling, attributes, attacking etc) just the Souls games are far slower paced and you can have a shield.

You should have a much easier time than most newcomers.

Eriku

Oh shit!

DS1 and 2 are way more exacting than Sekiro and Bloodborne, you’ll want to be mindful of the strikes you do, you’ll want to not hold your shield up when trying to regain stamina, and when you’re out of stamina you can’t run, roll or strike, or maintain poise when struck with shield up.

World-building in DS1 is wonderful, but you can also do things out of sequence, so if you feel something is wayyy too high level, have a look around.

Sooo envious of you :)

Kapardin

Just started the trilogy myself. I was an avid Metroidvania fan, having finished Hollow Knight recently and was recommended to make the switch to 3D RPG.

Absolutely loving it. I'm a good gamer and though this is my first 3D game, I have adjusted to the mechanic of using the camera to my advantage.

Being fond of Melee combat, I am playing as a STR/DEX focused Knight with the Claymore as my primary weapon. Currently defeated Quelaag and I'm about to explore the Hollow.

The combat, the story, the covenants, the weapons, the environment...everything is brilliant. And I'm so glad I still have DS2, DS3 and Bloodborne left to play after this!

Blighttown is my absolute favorite environment. Love the steep descent into a poisonous swamp.

Mastered parrying and backstabs which make this game a cakewalk so far.:D

Siorac

Man his game feels so clunky! Definitely going to take some getting used to :lol:
It's a LOT slower than Bloodborne which is very noticeable when you're used to the latter. And let me spoil something for you: DS2 will feel even clunkier. The third game, if you get that far, approaches the pace that Bloodborne and Sekiro have.

DS1's great strength is the world itself though so explore. Its combat, in my opinion, is clearly inferior to Bloodborne's but the interconnectedness of the environment, the creativity, the openness... those are unrivalled.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I just can't get into this game. I mean it's ok, but it all just feels a bit 'meh' so far.

Fighting is clunky as feck, and I don't even think the game is overly difficult or hard. The controls are what make the game difficult. I just find the while thing a bit boring so far.

Perhaps it's because I've just come off the back of Sekiro, which I felt was an actual challenge and the parrying system was excellent, but going to this just feels quite underwhelming.

I'm gonna go play a few different games first and then come back to it, perhaps I'll hold a different view then.

Kapardin

It's a LOT slower than Bloodborne which is very noticeable when you're used to the latter. And let me spoil something for you: DS2 will feel even clunkier. The third game, if you get that far, approaches the pace that Bloodborne and Sekiro have.

DS1's great strength is the world itself though so explore. Its combat, in my opinion, is clearly inferior to Bloodborne's but the interconnectedness of the environment, the creativity, the openness... those are unrivalled.
I came off playing Hollow Knight, and after beating the Pantheon of Hallownest, which is probably one of the most unforgiving and difficult combat design in games (involves tanking 43 bosses in a row without dying, and the final boss has 5 phases, ffs). On the back of that, Dark Souls combat appears to be a cakewalk. And yes, the come-down in combat speed from Hollow Knight (lightning fast) to Dark Souls is pretty steep, but I enjoy the variation and pacing.

For me, exploration and environment is a huge part of my enjoyment of a game, and I absolutely love the environments in DS. I have just beaten Quelaag, cleared the Great Hollow and Ash Lake, and I am debating whether to fight Ceaseless Discharge (some name, lol) in the Demon's Ruins or go to Sen's Fortress.

Eriku

I just can't get into this game. I mean it's ok, but it all just feels a bit 'meh' so far.

Fighting is clunky as feck, and I don't even think the game is overly difficult or hard. The controls are what make the game difficult. I just find the while thing a bit boring so far.

Perhaps it's because I've just come off the back of Sekiro, which I felt was an actual challenge and the parrying system was excellent, but going to this just feels quite underwhelming.

I'm gonna go play a few different games first and then come back to it, perhaps I'll hold a different view then.
How far have you gotten into it?

The world alone should be enough to draw you in, ffs!

Woodzy

I’m back on Dark Souls lads. I figured what else is there to get me through this stressful time?

I never got past that fecking armoured pig thing on my most recent attempt.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I played the remastered game for couple of days this week, got to the Firelink Shrine then went down the elevator shaft then across the bridge and reached the Island where 2 spirit like demon kill me before I even get a lock on them. Gave it up after a few attempts. :lol:

Later went on the other side of the Firelink shrine in Fort which is through a sewer tunnel and faring better. And by better I mean, I kill a few undead before dying. The farthest I reached was meeting a black armoured guy who proceeded to kill me like I was nothing. Reached him again and decided to avoid him and went up the stairs and fecker threw a flamin barrel at me :lol: