Darren Gibson

M160RA

Giggzinho said:
whys noone said anything about him before - i heard about the likes of rossi and david jones, pique etc - never heard of this lad, eagles had more of a reputation than this gibson fella - it seems the lads coming through arent as strong as before
You've been hearing more about Rossi, Jones and Pique because they're in the age group above Gibson.

ruudvantastic

Giggzinho said:
whys noone said anything about him before - i heard about the likes of rossi and david jones, pique etc - never heard of this lad, eagles had more of a reputation than this gibson fella - it seems the lads coming through arent as strong as before
For those that use MUTV to watch the reserves and academy last season would be the 1st that we were really able to watch Darron Gibson play and that was only really in the 2nd half of the season when he broke into the reserves.

I find the academy games coverage on MUTV difficult to judge players as it's just highlights. Before Darron stepped up to the reserves all I really knew was that he was a big Irish lad with a decent long range shot.

Darron Gibson, Johhny Evans, Kieran Lee and Frazier Cambell are just a few of the lads to I am hoping will really kick on in the reserves this season after breaking though in the 2nd half of last season.

RedPhil1957

ruudvantastic said:
For those that use MUTV to watch the reserves and academy last season would be the 1st that we were really able to watch Darron Gibson play and that was only really in the 2nd half of the season when he broke into the reserves.

I find the academy games coverage on MUTV difficult to judge players as it's just highlights. Before Darron stepped up to the reserves all I really knew was that he was a big Irish lad with a decent long range shot.

Darron Gibson, Johhny Evans, Kieran Lee and Frazier Cambell are just a few of the lads to I am hoping will really kick on in the reserves this season after breaking though in the 2nd half of last season.

All of those you mention made the jump from academy to reserves very easily, having watched Johny Evans brother we could have another pair of brothers playing in the side in 3-4 years time

ruudvantastic

RedPhil1957 said:
All of those you mention made the jump from academy to reserves very easily, having watched Johny Evans brother we could have another pair of brothers playing in the side in 3-4 years time
Hope so. I haven't seen much of Cory but he's highly rated by those that have. When is he likely to start appearing in the reserves or is that a while away yet?

RedPhil1957

ruudvantastic said:
Hope so. I haven't seen much of Cory but he's highly rated by those that have. When is he likely to start appearing in the reserves or is that a while away yet?

I think he will tried out next season because we are sending a few out on loan again and we seem to give them a try as young as possible now.

BezsMaracas

Box to box.

In all seriousness, our reserve team is such a high standard now i'll be amazed if only a couple get into our first team. The likes of Carrick and Torres can feck off, give Jones and Rossi a go.
What a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime...

BezsMaracas

:lol: It takes a big man to admit he's wrong, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
It's great seeing bumped threads that you've posted in, but have no recollection of...

Still don't know why Jones wasn't given a crack, although seeing how he's got nowhere near the Derby team, despite looking their best player early on last season, might suggest we were right to let him go.

RedPhil1957

It's great seeing bumped threads that you've posted in, but have no recollection of...

Still don't know why Jones wasn't given a crack, although seeing how he's got nowhere near the Derby team, despite looking their best player early on last season, might suggest we were right to let him go.

I thought Jones stood a chance but the step between reserves and PL is huge.
I wish something could be done to make the reserve league more competitive again. It is surprising that bigger squads have not produced stronger reserve games infact the opposite has happened.

ronnie dazzler

Think he's a bad time with injuries, again. Did well when he first went there before xmas.
sounds right from what I've read. Get the impression he hasn't quite progressed on his initial promise. Looked like being a United player, but seems more and more likely he'll move on soon, which is a pity.

Name Changed

weso26
sounds right from what I've read. Get the impression he hasn't quite progressed on his initial promise. Looked like being a United player, but seems more and more likely he'll move on soon, which is a pity.
Yea he hasn't really progressed. He seems to be at the same standard he was 2 years ago. He won't make it at United. He is a good footballer though and a fantastic passer. Great shots also, with both feet. He is just that little bit slow.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Yea he hasn't really progressed. He seems to be at the same standard he was 2 years ago. He won't make it at United. He is a good footballer though and a fantastic passer. Great shots also, with both feet. He is just that little bit slow.
He just went to the wrong club. A championship side like Wolves is not a place for such a player to learn his trade. I'm not surprised he hasn't improrved.

ronnie dazzler

Beckham did alright for Preston when they were in the old second division 13 years ago. He turned out ok.
true, apparently it was that spell that convnced Fergie of his quality. Was seen as maybe been a little lightweight before that, but played great stuff for Preston. you've got to be tough to play well in the Championship, as you'll get kicked a lot more

Beckham did alright for Preston when they were in the old second division 13 years ago. He turned out ok.
As I said in another thread. 13 years ago the Championship still had football in it. Besides, Beckham was Beckham. An aggressive, long ball expert. The championship could never harm a player of his skills. But some one like Gibson who relies on passing, positioning and isn't that quick. He never had a prayer. We would have been better off sending him to Sporting or Holland

Name Changed

weso26
As I said in another thread. 13 yeasr ago the Championship still had football in it. Besides, Beckham was Beckham. An agressive, long ball expert. The champions hsip coudl nevr harma player of his skills. But some one like Gibson who relies on passing, positioning and isn't that quick. He nevr had aprayer. We would have been better off sending him to Sporting or Holland
He would definately suit a European side more than the likes of Wolves.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
As I said in another thread. 13 years ago the Championship still had football in it. Besides, Beckham was Beckham. An aggressive, long ball expert. The championship could never harm a player of his skills. But some one like Gibson who relies on passing, positioning and isn't that quick. He never had a prayer. We would have been better off sending him to Sporting or Holland
No, Preston wasn't in the first division in 95 (currently The Championship). They were in the second division, currently Division One.

And a player like Gibson isn't going to get much playing time at a first division club in Holland or at Sporting. FFS, he can't get matches at friggin' Wolves.

Name Changed

weso26
No, Preston wasn't in the first division in 95 (currently The Championship). They were in the second division, currently Division One.

And a player like Gibson isn't going to get much playing time at a first division club in Holland or at Sporting. FFS, he can't get matches at friggin' Wolves.
Maybe not Sporting but he certainly would for a team in Holland (except PSV or Ajax). His game would suit a European team. He is a very good ball player and a good passer. He just needs a bit of space. You would get much more space in the Dutch league than you would in the Championship. It would suit his game and I think he would do well.

mista john

Would just like to point out that Antwerp fans thought he was shit as well. They are a European eam.
I don't remember him having a reputation for being shit. Only there half a season as I recall. I saw him a few times and I did get the impression he thought he was somewhat above the level of the Belgian second division. As I've said before, he always reminded me of Carrick, or Carrick-lite at least.

Name Changed

weso26
Would just like to point out that Antwerp fans thought he was shit as well. They are a European eam.
He played 33 games for them that season. They couldn't have thought he was that shite or he wouldn't have been playing. They're not obliged to play their loanees.

Wolves don't play the football that suits him. Get it into your brain. It's not hard to fathom. A player like Gibson can't learn squat for them. If Beckham was a Gibson type you would be wise to use hm as an example. But he wasn't at all.

I don't remember him having a reputation for being shit. Only there half a season as I recall. I saw him a few times and I did get the impression he thought he was somewhat above the level of the Belgian second division. As I've said before, he always reminded me of Carrick, or Carrick-lite at least.
Let me ask you this, Mista John, do you think going to Mick McCarthy's Wolves was a good move for him?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Wolves don't play the football that suits him. Get it into your brain. It's not hard to fathom. A player like Gibson can't learn squat for them. If Beckham was a Gibson type you would be wise to use hm as an example. But he wasn't at all.
If Gibson didn't fit in Wolves' system why the feck did SAF allow him to go on loan there?

Beckham was a central midfield player at Preston (and quite extensively with United as a youth/reserve), Gibson is a central midfield player for United. This is a not a direct comparison of player to player but of a player being loaned to a lower level. Get it into your brain. Apparently SAF felt he'd do well there hence he allowed him to be loaned.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Most fans were hardly gushing about him.... at least from what i could tell, whereas Simpson, evans and campbell really stood out there. Am I more or less right?

PS18

he missed quite a lot of games out there through injury if memory serves, seem to remember him being considered to have done pretty well when fit though.

Name Changed

weso26

I don't think any player could ever possibly learn anything from Mick McCarthy.

John the Writer

he missed quite a lot of games out there through injury if memory serves, seem to remember him being considered to have done pretty well when fit though.
I know quite a few Wolves fans, and they told me he was pretty hit and miss when he played, and that they'd be very surprised if he made it at OT.

mista john

Most fans were hardly gushing about him.... at least from what i could tell, whereas Simpson, evans and campbell really stood out there. Am I more or less right?
Yep. Evans and Campbell certainly, but Gibson had quite a few injuries while at Antwerp. Martins was also very highly rated at Antwerpo in year before Campbell. And to answer 'longlivekeano', Dong did get a few goals but he was never rated at all.