Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'd keep him and just play him as a wide forward. I think in that respect you can deal with his erratic nature and he can still cause 'chaos'. 31 goal contributions is very good but he doesn't have that killer instinct that top strikers do. They hugely overpaid and he's not the CF they thought would elevate them but he can still be useful for them. Keep him out wide where he can get an angled shot from through balls or outside the box which he seems to be much better at than one on ones through the middle.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's a human ping pong table. A chaos merchant. And he has been unable to deliver in one of the more chaotic attacking sides in the world. How many ridiculously fluke goals have Liverpool scored under Klopp. They are set-up to score them. And Darwin can't. The incoming baldie won't fancy him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Some interesting names in the top 10 worst big chance converters. You'd kind of expect it it be the 10 worst strikers in Europe but that's definitely not the case.

10 Players With Worst Big-Chance Conversion Rates in Europe in 23/24
RankPlayerClubConversion Rate
1.Darwin NunezLiverpool19.4%
2.Dusan VlahovicJuventus21.7%
3.Akor AdamsMontpellier26.1%
4.Nicolas JacksonChelsea29.2%
5.Pierre-Emerick AubameyangMarseille32.1%
6.Robert LewandowskiBarcelona33.3%
7.Samuel OmorodionDeportivo Alaves33.3%
8.Alvaro MorataAtletico Madrid34.4%
9.Erling HaalandManchester City34.8%
10.Vinicius JrReal Madrid36.4%

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yup. Sometimes you win…
The lesson is you have highly paid professionals whose job it is to scout and recruit, and you should not trust your coaching staff over them when it comes to it

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Some interesting names in the top 10 worst big chance converters. You'd kind of expect it it be the 10 worst strikers in Europe but that's definitely not the case.

10 Players With Worst Big-Chance Conversion Rates in Europe in 23/24
RankPlayerClubConversion Rate
1.Darwin NunezLiverpool19.4%
2.Dusan VlahovicJuventus21.7%
3.Akor AdamsMontpellier26.1%
4.Nicolas JacksonChelsea29.2%
5.Pierre-Emerick AubameyangMarseille32.1%
6.Robert LewandowskiBarcelona33.3%
7.Samuel OmorodionDeportivo Alaves33.3%
8.Alvaro MorataAtletico Madrid34.4%
9.Erling HaalandManchester City34.8%
10.Vinicius JrReal Madrid36.4%
The reason you see big names is largely because one of the most important quality for top forwards is the ability to put themselves in good goalscoring opportunities. They give themselves more chances but they are not actually more clinical, with some exceptions.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The reason you see big names is largely because one of the most important quality for top forwards is the ability to put themselves in good goalscoring opportunities. They give themselves more chances but they are not actually more clinical, with some exceptions.
Yeah, it's the same way you usually see the top scorers taking way more shots than most other players. They miss loads of shots but without taking all those shots they wouldn't rack up the goals.

That said, I do think there is something fundamentally wrong with Nunez in front of goal. The way he keeps making a balls of huge chances in really important games is getting past the point of coincidence.

Mike Smalling

That said, I do think there is something fundamentally wrong with Nunez in front of goal. The way he keeps making a balls of huge chances in really important games is getting past the point of coincidence.
Yeah, in two seasons the compilation of comical misses is simply too long. It's a combination of a bad lack of composure and some questionable finishing technique in certain situations. I remember one game last season (against Wolves I think), where he dragged the same chance well wide three times in a row.

He makes up for it with great physical attributes and good movement. But top sides need that forward that will score his chance in a tight game and/or get you a goal out of nothing when it matters. I don't think Nunez will ever be that for Liverpool.

KeanoMagicHat

He gets into a shit ton of good positions. It is possible that they work on his finishing and he'd be an excellent striker.
They’ve been saying that for a few years and it hasn’t happened. Salah and Suarez missed a few when they started but picked up quickly. If anything he’s getting worse.

Also he gets into positions but ends up dominating his areas so more accurate players don’t get to shoot. He takes far too many shots in general - composure or an extra pass would go a long way. The opposite of Firmino, who helped others flourish.

erikcred

They’ve been saying that for a few years and it hasn’t happened. Salah and Suarez missed a few when they started but picked up quickly. If anything he’s getting worse.

Also he gets into positions but ends up dominating his areas so more accurate players don’t get to shoot. He takes far too many shots in general - composure or an extra pass would go a long way. The opposite of Firmino, who helped others flourish.
In other words, The Lukaku.

CM

I'd keep him and just play him as a wide forward. I think in that respect you can deal with his erratic nature and he can still cause 'chaos'. 31 goal contributions is very good but he doesn't have that killer instinct that top strikers do. They hugely overpaid and he's not the CF they thought would elevate them but he can still be useful for them. Keep him out wide where he can get an angled shot from through balls or outside the box which he seems to be much better at than one on ones through the middle.
Agreed. An erratic finisher like Nunez is never going to contribute enough as your main source of goals. He has some useful attributes as a player but as you say, I think those are better suited for someone in wider areas.

Jota is far more instinctive in front of goal. If I was the next manager coming in, I'd be using him as the CF from their existing options and looking to sign a new striker alongside. Liverpool could be in a bit of trouble if they don't get a decent goalscorer in because Salah looks ready for the bin on current form.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
But but but he has a decent xg or whatever metric the modern fan base use these days

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Classic Darwin. Close your eyes and smash it.
His thought process there is so fundamentally broken. In certain circumstances there is nothing wrong with getting a hard shot away as quickly as possible, sacrificing accuracy for speed. Usually when the striker is under high pressure, the keeper is unsighted, and there is a lower chance of scoring because there are bodies or distance in the way. Not one of those applied there. The guy's a big idiot.

tomaldinho1

Feel he's having a decent year and has the skillset to do well for them. Carragher is just so unobjective when he's emotional because Klopp's farewell tour has been a disaster, their recruitment has been a bit whack which is probably why they broght Edwards back in.

They had Mane - Firmino - Salah as a front three and now have a lot of 'ok' to 'good' players in Gakpo (average), Diaz (good), Jota (good), Nunez (good) and Salah who is elite but older and likely leaving. Of all of them Nunez is the only one I'd say with any kind of real potential promise given his age and having a few more years to build on until he hits his peak.

Adz_99

Feel he's having a decent year and has the skillset to do well for them. Carragher is just so unobjective when he's emotional because Klopp's farewell tour has been a disaster, their recruitment has been a bit whack which is probably why they broght Edwards back in.

They had Mane - Firmino - Salah as a front three and now have a lot of 'ok' to 'good' players in Gakpo (average), Diaz (good), Jota (good), Nunez (good) and Salah who is elite but older and likely leaving. Of all of them Nunez is the only one I'd say with any kind of real potential promise given his age and having a few more years to build on until he hits his peak.
Nunez turns 25 in a month. He's not that young.

Peak for a modern footballer is probably somewhere between 23 and 30.