Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
After the second bounce on the through ball, it’s a simple (for a PL player) to just gently flick/lob it over the goalie..… Meslier is so far out.
Flick it, go around him, curl it around yeah.

He did everything wrong. What you see on this chance is what a U21/U18 player would do thats going out on loan still.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Someone on this forum called him a generational talent
Major problem with these kinds of kneejerk opinions from fans is they fail to see form/confidence as a thing too.

Regression to the mean usually tells us that if a player has one good season you can regress to an average level after, if you have two good seasons then it might be nearer to your "actual level".

That's why missing out on a player sometimes isn't the worst thing in the world, if they continue to have an extra good season its much less of a risk.

Charles Miller

After the second bounce on the through ball, it’s a simple (for a PL player) to just gently flick/lob it over the goalie..… Meslier is so far out.
He tried it other game and it didn't work and he was mocked. He's probably lacking confidence and thinking too much in front of goal. Strikers need to trust their instinct. Those absurd price tags for young players put them under a massive pressure.

marcus agrippa

Seems to have poor instincts in front of goal. Every top striker would have continued to go wide here or curled it around the keeper.

Why turn back into a goalkeeper and a CB who is recovering.
That's just it. He's not trying to turn back toward the GK or CB. He just couldn't control the ball well enough to make it respond any other way than chaotically, which meant that's what ended up happening.

Dreadful player. 100 m? :lol:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
His all round play was better than what I’ve seen previously today in terms of link up and general play. His decision making for that chance in the first half was poor.

We needed to spend that money on a midfielder imo.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The time to sign Nunez was the summer of 2021, when Brighton were linked with him for £25m. At that sort of price he's a talent to polish up who could prove to be excellent value if he becomes a prolific goalscorer.

Signing him for a potential €100m a year later off the back of a season of inflated returns just seems insane at this point.

Because even if he turns out to be the best possible version of himself, it will still take a lot of time and adapting to get him there and even then he will still have some glaring weaknesses you have to live with. And that's the best case scenario.

It's hard to see how that much investment in a project-player will ever be something they look back on as a good call given it came at a point when other areas of the team were crying out for investment.

PoTMS

Unpopular opinion as he's a bit of a donkey but I would take him at United. Swap deal for either Sancho or Maguire. Liverpool can choose.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Andy Carroll had 9 goals and 6 assists in 47 matches(2900min) for Liverpool in his first full season playing for a much worse side - finished 8th in the league - 47scored 40 conceded
Nunez has 6 goals and 1 assist in 14 games at the moment playing for a much better team. Is he gonna break the 20 goal barrier? Maybe

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Andy Carroll had 9 goals and 6 assists in 47 matches(2900min) for Liverpool in his first full season playing for a much worse side - finished 8th in the league - 47scored 40 conceded
Nunez has 6 goals and 1 assist in 14 games at the moment playing for a much better team. Is he gonna break the 20 goal barrier? Maybe
I feel it's just a matter of time before he starts scoring. He always gets into dangerous positions.

SAFMUTD

I feel it's just a matter of time before he starts scoring. He always gets into dangerous positions.
Yes Liverpool generate way too many chances. He'll eventually score some ones.

I think the main issue with him is not that he misses so many clear cut chances, even though that's a huge problem as well, but that he disrupts liverpools game. He looks so technically behind the other players with such an awfully bad first touch that slows the counter or transition that basically they can't count on him during the build up.

I think he'll either go to the bench once Luis Díaz and Jota return or he'll be used a nothing more than a target man. Either way that's no good for a 100M player in a Klopp set up.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Getting into positions seems like what he's good at, but it's getting it under control and being clinical that he struggles with.

That clip above is the perfect example really. Willing runner, smells the chance, but when he gets there he doesn't kill it quickly and lets it bounce all over the place until the keeper smothers him.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I have seen so many of our players being called a donkey over the years. Now it's their turn. Nunez is a donkey and he was signed by the trendy footballing genius gegenpressing metalhead bleach teeth Klopp. Feels good man.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Nunez has played only 14 games for a Liverpool team that has so far lost to Fulham, Leeds, Nottingham Forest, a shit Utd at the time, and drawn with a shit Brighton at the time.

You sure Nunez is playing for a much better team? Have you been watching us? :(

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Nunez has played only 14 games for a Liverpool team that has so far lost to Fulham, Leeds, Nottingham Forest, a shit Utd at the time, and drawn with a shit Brighton at the time.

You sure Nunez is playing for a much better team? Have you been watching us? :(
Do you not remember the shit show under Kenny?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Do you not remember the shit show under Kenny?
I'd argue this shit show of the last 14 games is worse, albeit possibly temporary (as opposed to Kenny's which was the de facto). Nunez has only played during this time, one of our worst shit shows off all time possibly.

crossy1686

career ending
Seems to have poor instincts in front of goal. Every top striker would have continued to go wide here or curled it around the keeper.

Why turn back into a goalkeeper and a CB who is recovering.
He's just shite, he could have even hit it early and given the keeper no chance to get set but instead he just ambles into the keeper because he can't make his mind up on what he wants to do

crossy1686

career ending
I'd argue this shit show of the last 14 games is worse, albeit possibly temporary (as opposed to Kenny's which was the de facto). Nunez has only played during this time, one of our worst shit shows off all time possibly.
Was it under Kenny where we just started feeling sorry for you and stopped giving you shit for a while? That was no fun, but in regards to Nunez, he is playing in your worst side in recent years but he, as an individual in that, plays like I'd imagine Bailly would play as a CF if we stuck him up top for a while.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
This forum is home of some of the best reactionary takes you'll ever see
It's very obviously based solely on the two matches Benfica played against Liverpool last year and none of the other ones - yes if you plop Nunez into a team where he can play on the counter constantly and break into space, he'll luck into goals. If you are a top team playing against a low block, he is pretty much useless.

Unironically Spurs should be looking at him this summer if they let Kane leave (assuming Conte stays). That fit makes sense.

AFC NimbleThumb

Yes Liverpool generate way too many chances. He'll eventually score some ones.

I think the main issue with him is not that he misses so many clear cut chances, even though that's a huge problem as well, but that he disrupts liverpools game. He looks so technically behind the other players with such an awfully bad first touch that slows the counter or transition that basically they can't count on him during the build up.

I think he'll either go to the bench once Luis Díaz and Jota return or he'll be used a nothing more than a target man. Either way that's no good for a 100M player in a Klopp set up.
Basics he’s Lukaku with a man bun.

SAFMUTD

Basics he’s Lukaku with a man bun.
Sounds like a cliche but seriously I can't think of a more similar player.

Nuñez has the physicality, the speed, the right attitude, but he's absolutely blessed with the touch of a donkey.

AFC NimbleThumb

Sounds like a cliche but seriously I can't think of a more similar player.

Nuñez has the physicality, the speed, the right attitude, but he's absolutely blessed with the touch of a donkey.
I was drawn to how Lukaku-esque he was at points yesterday. The fact moves would be going well then suddenly end at his miscontrol or wayward pass. Just watch how Salah responds to every feck up when he’s open.

As with Lukaku though he’ll get numbers when he plays, I could see him scoring braces &/or hat tricks this season but the lack of refinement in his game will kill so many opportunities besides the ones he does score.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Is it known what the scouting for him was? Can imagine him being a statistical monster last season, while his deficiencies get hidden unless you actually watch for 90 minutes.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I thought this about Morata as well. He gets into position and his finishing let's him down but seems some players won't just get it right

He'sRaldo

Is it known what the scouting for him was? Can imagine him being a statistical monster last season, while his deficiencies get hidden unless you actually watch for 90 minutes.
Weren't Liverpool targeting Werner for a while till they lost out to Chelsea? Seems they finally landed that Werner replacement...

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Can't wait to see him against Lisandro. He will be sent off in first 10 minutes. Guy is complete idiot