Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not sure why people think he’ll all of the sudden turn into a cold blooded finisher with more experience. This isn’t like a Vinicius situation where you have a supremely talented technical player that just lacks composure in the final third. He doesn’t have any sort of technique.

Hes very fast though I’ll give him that. He’s like if you took an NFL WR and told him to play upfront for Liverpool.
Or Usain Bolt finally getting his dream job.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not really. He looks no where near the three figure fee they paid.

If you look at his stats he’s had one prolific season (last year) and that’s about it.

Many Portuguese football followers were baffled at the price they paid, even after last season, and it’s quite clear hes not worth anything near it.
He looks far more threatening and closer to being worth the fee than our recent big money signings Sancho and Antony so far.

It's funny for now while he's missing chances but when we can barely score ourselves less so. He'd be our top scorer on 5.

Pogue Mahone

A club with Liverpool’s aspirations can’t carry a player whose finishing is that poor. Simple as that. In big games every team will struggle to get clear chances and you can’t have him shanking them miles wide of the goal.

I guess that might change one day? Although I can’t think of any other striker who somehow learned how to finish in his mid to late twenties? Especially when the poor finishing seems to be fundamental technical deficiencies.

Biggins

Lewandowski also looked dire when Klopp bought him. I hope it is not the same story.

TheReligion

Abusive
He looks far more threatening and closer to being worth the fee than our recent big money signings Sancho and Antony so far.

It's funny for now while he's missing chances but when we can barely score ourselves less so. He'd be our top scorer on 5.
I mean perhaps in some weird universe where only PL goals count. He would be yes.

In the real world though Rashford has more goals than Nunez this season.

Doh.

Flexdegea

Is their a memo sent about to protect Nunez?

He pure comedy out there, Townsend MOTM :lol:

He doing all my Liverpool mates heads in.

Sancho never got they excuses when he came to us,

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Whether or not he eventually becomes a lethal finisher, he far from it right now and so it's fair to comment on all the missed chances.

Even that third goal, he took a horrible touch, then had to lunge at the ball and it dropped fortuitously to a Liverpool player off the keeper. At no point was Nunez

A Going to score himself or
B trying to set up his teammate.

He's a very poor buy right now.

Leftback99

A club with Liverpool’s aspirations can’t carry a player whose finishing is that poor. Simple as that. In big games every team will struggle to get clear chances and you can’t have him shanking them miles wide of the goal.

I guess that might change one day? Although I can’t think of any other striker who somehow learned how to finish in his mid to late twenties? Especially when the poor finishing seems to be fundamental technical deficiencies.
Check Suarez statistics 11-12 compared to 12-13 onwards.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's the exact same player as Donyel Malen. Fast, looks busy, probably tiresome too defend, but unable to hit the broadside of a barndoor (Im not sure how that saying goes but feck it).

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
The faintest of faint praise.
Well Im not obliged to shit or gush all over him.

He misses far too many easy chances but he does stretch the play and is a constant hassle to opposition defences (which in turn allows Salah to drift into space).

Silent domination :drool:
I don't know about silent, he's quite obviously missing tonnes of chances but the flip side is he is quite obviously getting tonnes of chances too.

You don't spend 100M on a striker only for that
I didn't pay it and don't recall saying anyone should but at this stage the price tag is irrelevant to me.

I'm just commenting on what he is doing , not what he should be doing.

The money is already spent so I don't see much point in going on about it , same as any other player that was bought for a massively inflated fee.

I have a lot of sympathy for players who are put in that position to be honest , it can't be nice to be crushed under the pressure of unrealistic expectations.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Last season his conversion rate was the highest in the top 6 leagues. This thread is asking to look very silly.

For Manchester United fan, you seem very annoyed that people criticise Liverpool player.

cyberman

For Manchester United fan, you seem very annoyed that people criticise Liverpool player.
He spends most years telling us how everybody else is better than we are and how they’re going to win every game until the end of time because of it.

Davie Moyes

Mate, please. This post is so bad, if ever there was ever a post that screamed I'm a scouse fan in disguise this is it.

Leftback99

I'm annoyed they won comfortably despite 'carrying' a player as bad as you lot say.

The misses are hilarious. It's unlikely to last though.

Pogue Mahone

Check Suarez statistics 11-12 compared to 12-13 onwards.
Ok done.

Those stats confirm that Suarez is basically the exact opposite of Nunez. When you look at his stats that low scoring 11/12 season stands out as an aberration. He’d been banging in 30 goals/season for five seasons before that one.

For Nunez it’s a single high scoring season that stands out as the anomaly.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
It's unlikely to last though.
I actually do think the misses will last though.

I think he will be a guy that scores loads and misses loads and will end up being more of a **** figure than a top quality striker.

If we want to compare him to recent Liverpool strikers I think he will be more of a Dirk Kuyt (actually reminds me more of Joelinton physically) than a Suarez.

Last edited:

bludsucker

What has Manchester United got to do with Darwin Nunez?
It’s strange when purported United fans pipe up when we take the piss out of pool in any aspect. Be it rawk or one of their players. It’s a caf tradition i guess. Posters do it regularly in the rawk meltdown thread and are doing it here now.

Davie Moyes

It’s strange when purported United fans pipe up when we take the piss out of pool in any aspect. Be it rawk or one of their players. It’s a caf tradition i guess. Posters do it regularly in the rawk meltdown thread and are doing it here now.
There's so many of them these days too. Never used to be this bad.

Removes some of the enjoyment from taking the p*ss out of Pool when you end up having to argue with supposed Utd fans instead.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
At the moment it looks like they paid money for an elite striker, found out he is nowhere near what they need from a striker and is turning him into mote of a winger. To be fair to him he looks more at home out wide when he can just run to the byline and whip it in, but given his obvious limitations as an actual footballer surely they'd be better off with another one out on the wing. Not a huge fan of Diaz either but he is on another planet talent wise.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thinking about it, part of it is probably just built into the profile of striker he is too, isn't it?

Imagine you have two strikers who generate 1xG per game. Over 30 games both strikers are expected to score 30 goals. But if one averages 3 shots per game and the other averages 6 shots then in any given game the latter striker is both more likely to score 3+ goals (obviously) but also more likely to score 0. The average over time is the same, but the distribution is different.

With football being a low-scoring game, that makes the 6-shot striker's output less valuable. Because all else being equal you would prefer the greater chance of at least one goal in a game.

With that in mind, Nunez tops Europe's big 5 leagues for shots per 90. Which means that even if he was an average finisher, you'd expect more variance game to game compared to a player who shoots less. And if he's a worse than average finisher....

Or more simply: scoring at a good rate per game is good, but doing so while not being wildly inefficient would be better. And even if he does the former, he won't do the latter.

cyberman

And he was MOTM?
People look for what he could be instead of what he is this which leads to awards like this. All you have to do is show a bit of pace and power and they pretend he had a good game, It can be qualified as causing problems or being a handful or such nonsense.
As long as they have at least one standout moment in a game they win then he had a good game. I just can’t think of any today apart from getting behind the defence and not finding a man after.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I mean perhaps in some weird universe where only PL goals count. He would be yes.

In the real world though Rashford has more goals than Nunez this season.

Doh.
They’re both on 9 this season. Nunez in 19 appearances and Rashford in 20. Both on 3 assists.