Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think we would mostly use him as the work horse to Ronaldo's static-ness. I doubt he'd play CF, probably right side.
He naturally gravitates to the left so more than likely left wing.

I think we could play the similar style of Rooney/Ronaldo/Tevez

With Fernandes a left winger that cuts inside, Nunez running the left channel and Ronaldo being ready in the box as the poacher.

A flat 4-4-2 could even work with them nicely also.

Realistically though i'd imagine Nunez will rotate with Ronaldo for the first season until he leaves next year.

OmarUnited4ever

What do you characterise as technique can I ask? what is it you think he is bad at?
You can see it clearly that he is awkward and a bit uncoordinated in the way he receives the ball or when he attempts to dribble, it's not refined, but it's good enough as he did very well in a top competition like CL, and he uses his power & pace extremely well to get past players in tight spots, I only watched 2-3 CL games for him alongside some compilation vids, I remember the game vs Barca, the goal he scored after his weird step-overs! it didn't look that natural/clean, but his finishing technique is clean, that is very obvious to see and it's the most important ability for a striker.

Mainoldo

Not every striker should be coached to drop deep all the time to link up play. And that’s why Haller who is not technically gifted is not used for the role and ETH was still able to fit him in. And that’s why I have been using him as an example.

Not a single of Haller‘s UCL goals in the video below came from Haller link up play. If anything based on the video below shows why Bruno and Nunez can still be coached to play together, when you have Bruno quality of final third delivery like Antony or Tadic for example and then you have fox in the box like Nunez, which what Haller shows in his goals in the video, means they can still be coached to play together. The further up they are, the better because they will have less effect on their possession lost, which is why they need to play in more advanced roles as I suggested. During the possession lost, they can still win the ball back as they know how to press and this can be coached to press as a unit since both have the fundamental.

What does this video have to do with him and Bruno. Does Bruno play like their front 4?

Idxomer

With Fernandes a left winger that cuts inside, Nunez running the left channel and Ronaldo being ready in the box as the poacher.

Realistically though i'd imagine Nunez will rotate with Ronaldo for the first season until he leaves next year.
God, that would be terrible with those three.

Mainoldo

Iniesta and Zidane were playmaker just like Bruno. Salah isn’t playmaker. I never say all playmakers play 10, otherwise I wouldn’t mention ‘’wide playmaker’‘ in one of my post. Your point?
My point is Bruno isn’t a playmaker and just because he had good assist stance doesn’t make the playmaker statement true. Hence again why I reference Salah who clearly has good assist too. Which is why you’ve been stressing trying to exaplain why his stats don’t make him a playmaker.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
You can see it clearly that he is awkward and a bit uncoordinated in the way he receives the ball or when he attempts to dribble, it's not refined, but it's good enough as he did very well in a top competition like CL, and he uses his power & pace extremely well to get past players in tight spots, I only watched 2-3 CL games for him alongside some compilation vids, I remember the game vs Barca, the goal he scored after his weird step-overs! it didn't look that natural/clean, but his finishing technique is clean, that is very obvious to see and it's the most important ability for a striker.
I feel the same way, as good as his finishing is, you kind of need some good technique to get in the position to finish in the PL. I don't think he can be a box poacher at United and wait for everything to come to him. I can't help but think he's going to massively flop if he comes to England.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What does this video have to do with him and Bruno. Does Bruno play like their front 4?
You said the reason why Nunez and Bruno won’t work because Nunez isn’t a link up striker and our attacks would break down as that’s what Bruno requires. By showing you that the video, it shows you Haller was assigned to play further up to make run to the box to score and more involved in the box to score like a poacher and he has less involvement in link up play despite of playing with players who have been coached to play link up play like Tadic and Antony.

This shows through coaching, ETH can still fit someone like Bruno who has quality delivery in his final third and Nunez who requires less involvement in link up play to play together just like how ETH fit in Haller with Tadic and Antony.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
My point is Bruno isn’t a playmaker and just because he had good assist stance doesn’t make the playmaker statement true. Hence again why I reference Salah who clearly has good assist too. Which is why you’ve been stressing trying to exaplain why his stats don’t make him a playmaker.
But I told you Bruno is not winger, Salah is a winger. He is playmaker just like Zidane and Iniesta. Neither Zidane and Iniesta are wingers too just like Bruno. So your comparison with Salah makes zero sense. The comparison Bruno with Zidane and Iniesta make more sense because they play as advanced playmaker.

However, if you are arguing can Salah be developed as playmaker if he was never developed to be wide forward, that’s another different argument.

Read this, written in wiki:
The most complete and versatile playmakers are often known as advanced playmakers, or free-role playmakers, as they can operate both in central, attacking midfield positions, and in wider positions on the wings. These offensive playmakers will often make incisive passes to the wingers or forwards, seeing them through on goal or to deliver killer crosses, as well as scoring goals themselves.

Does this sound like Bruno? To me yes.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Looking awkward isn't actually being awkard though?

Haaland looks awkward but his technique is fine. Crouch had the same issue as he was lanky but his touch/control was actually pretty solid.

From what I've seen he kills the ball no problem.As you say his striking technique is absolutely fine and that's all that matters.

Put the ball in the box for him or get it into his feet and he will score us plenty of goals. He will be a pain in the ass for defenders every game we play.

OmarUnited4ever

Looking awkward isn't actually being awkard though?

Haaland looks awkward but his technique is fine. Crouch had the same issue as he was lanky but his touch/control was actually pretty solid.

From what I've seen he kills the ball no problem. As you say his striking technique is absolutely fine and that's all that matters.

Put the ball in the box for him or get it into his feet and he will score us plenty of goals. He will be a pain in the ass for defenders every game we play.
No argument from me here, I believe he has the potential to be an excellent striker in the PL and for us too next season

OmarUnited4ever

I feel the same way, as good as his finishing is, you kind of need some good technique to get in the position to finish in the PL. I don't think he can be a box poacher at United and wait for everything to come to him. I can't help but think he's going to massively flop if he comes to England.
I disagree with bolded part, nothing is guaranteed but I think he has the potential to succeed in the PL, his young age, his power & pace, his tenacity & high work rate, are attributes that will be the foundation for him to flourish in the PL

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lot of players with mediocre technique scored lot of goals, that too for midtable and lower table teams.

You need good off the ball movement to get into position and good striking technique.

Idxomer

Lot of players with mediocre technique scored lot of goals, that too for midtable and lower table teams.

You need good off the ball movement to get into position and good striking technique.
That's easier because they get more space.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
People used to compare Haaland to Lukaku too. Some people don’t realise how bad Lukaku is technically. I don’t see the comparison with Nunez tbh.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
People want work horses instead of ballers for strikers? Is this the new "ball playing CB"?
Pressing from the front is very important in modern pressing tactics. One of the reasons as to why Tuchel has given up on Lukaku for example. You can’t get away with coasting these days.

Mainoldo

You said the reason why Nunez and Bruno won’t work because Nunez isn’t a link up striker and our attacks would break down as that’s what Bruno requires. By showing you that the video, it shows you Haller was assigned to play further up to make run to the box to score and more involved in the box to score like a poacher and he has less involvement in link up play despite of playing with players who have been coached to play link up play like Tadic and Antony.

This shows through coaching, ETH can still fit someone like Bruno who has quality delivery in his final third and Nunez who requires less involvement in link up play to play together just like how ETH fit in Haller with Tadic and Antony.
How when Bruno can’t play like Tadic and Antony. My point is you can’t have both. Just like how we have suffered with CR7 and Bruno this season. The problem is Bruno. Whether ETH can coach Nunez better we will see. But he can’t play both of them together because he’s not the type of striker that Bruno would benefit from. Which is my whole point.

Mainoldo

But I told you Bruno is not winger, Salah is a winger. He is playmaker just like Zidane and Iniesta. Neither Zidane and Iniesta are wingers too just like Bruno. So your comparison with Salah makes zero sense. The comparison Bruno with Zidane and Iniesta make more sense because they play as advanced playmaker.

However, if you are arguing can Salah be developed as playmaker if he was never developed to be wide forward, that’s another different argument.

Read this, written in wiki:
The most complete and versatile playmakers are often known as advanced playmakers, or free-role playmakers, as they can operate both in central, attacking midfield positions, and in wider positions on the wings. These offensive playmakers will often make incisive passes to the wingers or forwards, seeing them through on goal or to deliver killer crosses, as well as scoring goals themselves.

Does this sound like Bruno? To me yes.
Yep that doesn’t describe Zidane and Iniesta then does it. So can we confirm you don’t see them as playmakers now?

TsuWave

Pressing from the front is very important in modern pressing tactics. One of the reasons as to why Tuchel has given up on Lukaku for example. You can’t get away with coasting these days.
Lukaku is neither a workhorse nor a baller.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
How when Bruno can’t play like Tadic and Antony. My point is you can’t have both. Just like how we have suffered with CR7 and Bruno this season. The problem is Bruno. Whether ETH can coach Nunez better we will see. But he can’t play both of them together because he’s not the type of striker that Bruno would benefit from. Which is my whole point.
I thought you told me the reason it wouldn't benefit Bruno as he requires link up play, which is not Nunez's strength so they both can't play together. But I just showed the video where Haller didn't need to get involved in the link up play. So what is your issue now after I counter your ''link up play'' argument with the video that shows Ajax striker (Haller) doesn't need to get involved in the link up play?

CR7 and Bruno this season didn't play under ETH coaching though. It's like saying if Haller is flop at West Ham then it's impossible for Haller to even score 11 goals per season in Champions League. Therefore, using of what happened this season with CR7 and Bruno is invalid for our argument.

Somehow through coaching, ETH is able to find a way to hide Haller's weakness of being not good with his link up player and not technically gifted into a monster playing with bunch of players that require link up play.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yep that doesn’t describe Zidane and Iniesta then does it. So can we confirm you don’t see them as playmakers now?
So Zidane and Iniesta don't make incisive passes to the wingers or forwards, seeing them through on goal or to deliver killer crosses, as well as scoring goals themselves?? :houllier:

WTF they do then?

NewYorkRed

I mean, Bruno is the definition of a playmaker. Its what he does.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If bruno is one thing, he is a playmaker. Maybe he isnt has good as de bruyne, but he is creating the most chances for us. Even de bruyne was taken off last night.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I see a playmaker as more than a chance creator. He's the one who solves problems for his team mates in possession and makes the team tick.

Fernandes isn't that.

TrustInJanuzaj

I see a playmaker as more than a chance creator. He's the one who solves problems for his team mates in possession and makes the team tick.

Fernandes isn't that.
Bruno absolutely does do that…just not consistently. The man is a wizard, he pulls of some absolutely ridiculous stuff to retain the ball and get passes off. The issue is he’s just as likely to give the ball away doing something stupid. I still think under a proper manager he can be even better. But no he’s never going to be a Xavi and that’s clearly not the only kind of creator/playmaker.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Fernandes isn't that.
What you're describing is a latter part of his career Scholes, a Xavi, Modric type player you're right Bruno is nothing like them but then those players aren't really creators either which Bruno is

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Fernandes isn't that.
You are describing a deep playmaker like Pirlo, Scholes, Xavi, Modric or FDJ at Ajax.

From the wiki itself:
Deep-lying playmaker operate from a deep position, in or even behind the main midfield line in a seemingly central or defensive midfield role, where they can use space and time on the ball to dictate the tempo of their team's play and orchestrate the moves of the whole team, not just attacks on goal. Deep-lying playmakers are often known for their vision, technique and passing. Many are also known for their ability to switch the play or provide long passes that pick out players making attacking runs,

NewYorkRed

Fernandes isn't that.
That would be a DLP in the mould of Pirlo, Xavi, Carrick. You're right, Bruno isn't that. But pure playmaker, that is the definition of what Bruno is.

Idxomer

Bruno absolutely does do that…just not consistently. The man is a wizard, he pulls of some absolutely ridiculous stuff to retain the ball and get passes off. The issue is he’s just as likely to give the ball away doing something stupid. I still think under a proper manager he can be even better. But no he’s never going to be a Xavi and that’s clearly not the only kind of creator/playmaker.
And he's never going to be an Iniesta or Zidane either who dominated high stakes games in a way beyond any of Bruno's capabilities.

Mainoldo

You got to love the Bruno loving. :lol:

Football ability level = Elano
Manchester United fan status level = Iniesta

TrustInJanuzaj

And he's never going to be an Iniesta or Zidane either who dominated high stakes games in a way beyond any of Bruno's capabilities.
But that is largely irrelevant. So he’s not as good as zidane, that’s a pretty high bar mate. He’s easily in the top 5 number 10s in world football and for me would get in most teams currently up their with De Bruyne. I reckon he will prove that under the next manager.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You got to love the Bruno loving. :lol:

Football ability level = Elano
Manchester United fan status level = Iniesta
I haven't seen a poster in here saying Bruno level is Iniesta level. Was that you? You were the one who started mention Iniesta name after all.

Or is this your logic that a player cannot be playmaker if they are not Zidane and Iniesta level? It's like saying Maguire is not centre back since he's not VVD level. Chicharito is not a poacher since he's not Inzaghi level. What's next? Nunez is not a striker since he's not Benzema's level?

Last edited:

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I think we're going to sign him. Just a gut feeling. Something about it that feels more real to me than any other links, for any player in any other position.

EDIT - Let it be known that I had not seen the above comment when I said this :lol:

crossy1686

career ending

The only problem with that is that we apparently signed Sancho to play on the left, so I suspect we'll either go two up front and let him play alongside Ronaldo or play him as a wide forward on the right.

Adam-Utd

The only problem with that is that we apparently signed Sancho to play on the left, so I suspect we'll either go two up front and let him play alongside Ronaldo or play him as a wide forward on the right.
Yeah I think the 2 up top would be more likely tbh. I suspect though it'll be 1 or the other. Ronaldo can't play every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.