Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Then we’d moan we have a sub-par back up striker next year and no one to take them off our hands and have to potentially replace 2 strikers.
Spending cheap does not mean subpar. We have Fred, Mctominay, Dalot, Maguire, Elanga in our starting 11 currently. I'd think about replacing those guys first before Ronaldo

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I really don't see this deal happening. The De Jong one has much more chance about it for me.

I just can't see how Nunez and Ronaldo are going to be happy being rotated as ETH doesn't play 2 up top and Ronaldo won't and can't play from the left anymore.

If Ronaldo was leaving then it would make much more sense. If Ronaldo is staying for one more year then I think we'll look to get a cheaper back up striker in
Ronaldo is 37 and on a 500k a week. It's not as of he has alot of options elsewhere. So he will play the way we want him to play and on our terms

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Then we’d moan we have a sub-par back up striker next year and no one to take them off our hands and have to potentially replace 2 strikers.
Maybe so but are we really in a position to spend 70m on a player who isn't even likely to start most weeks unless we change formation that is. However ETH seemingly doesn't do anything other than 433.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yup I think we just might do that. Depending on signings. Better to be pragmatic and keep the show on the road than getting belted while your players pretend to run around or they are actually doing their best but it isn’t good enough. Either way. These things take time to change. In the meantime it’s good to keep winning and building camaraderie.
Am I right in saying Nunez has that warrior attitude like Cavani and runs for days? Could be perfect alongside Ronaldo.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ronaldo is 37 and on a 500k a week. It's not as of he has alot of options elsewhere. So he will play the way we want him to play and on our terms
Just think about what you have said there and get back to me.

You're basically implying we make the GOAT a sub. Hahahaha. Yeah because that's going to do wonders for our team ethos isn't it?

It ain't happening unless Ronaldo is off. Nunez won't want to wait for a year in order to become first choice.

Tavern in the town

You're basically implying we make the GOAT a sub. Hahahaha. Yeah because that's going to do wonders for our team ethos isn't it?

It ain't happening unless Ronaldo is off. Nunez won't want to wait for a year in order to become first choice.
There’s just no rationalising with this level of hero worship.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
There’s just no rationalising with this level of hero worship.
It's just not going to happen though mate. He might be rested every now and then but if you honestly think he's going to be happy being a sub most weeks then more fool you.

It would be awful for team harmony too.

AndySmith1990

You're basically saying Ronaldo is bigger than the manager and can dictate when he plays. It's a ridiculous thing to say

Tavern in the town

It's just not going to happen though mate. He might be rested every now and then but if you honestly think he's going to be happy being a sub most weeks then more fool you.

It would be awful for team harmony too.
It’s not about what he’s happy with. If he thinks he has to be clear first choice despite being 37 and unable to press from the front, when we have a manager who likes teams to press, he needs to feck off.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It’s not about what he’s happy with. If he thinks he has to be clear first choice despite being 37 and unable to press from the front, when we have a manager who likes teams to press, he needs to feck off.
If it was an easy sell he'd be gone but we're stuck with him on £500k+ a week and he'll start or kick up a fuss if he doesn't. Nothing in this Nunez link because of it in my opinion.

Devil may care

Sure, if we buy this guy then it would make sense to let Ronaldo go instead of hoping he magically becomes Mr. Humble and is happy on the bench, but shifting a 37 year old player on 500k a week isn't easy and if he digs his heels in we have more dressing room unrest, this isn't a simple situation to handle like some are suggesting. As for Nunez himself, he's not great technically, his hold up play isn't great and he's being priced higher than Haaland, I don't see how he'd appeal to Ten Hag's style or fit within our budget, I think this might be another one of these fake United/Benfica player stories like Gaitan, Garay and Renato Sanches, where we are being used to keep this guys name constantly in the headlines.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
And maybe he will. However we won't be benching him for this Nunez guy.

It would be an absolute shambles having him on bench. Can only imagine the grumblings that would come plus the pundits will never shut up about it.

Sell him and replace him is fine but he's not being benched. He's probably going to be named captain too. Hahahaha

Crickus

I think we must go and get this lad. Works hard . Can play centre or off the left. Will get better over time aswell. This is the type of signing the New Utd need to make

devilish

I believe that if Ronaldo had options then he would have left. There aren't many clubs who can afford a 500k a week 37 year old player. Even then united must agree to a transfer which basically rules out the likes of City

Regarding the latter I think that Ronaldo had reach a stage at his career were he will have to share his first team place. It makes sense to add a first team striker now only to let him slowly bed in knowing that we can always rely on Ronaldo. Whether we can afford a 70m striker is another matter altogether

Leftback99

Any striker signing is more likely to be our cheapest signing this summer than our most expensive I reckon.

devilish

If it was an easy sell he'd be gone but we're stuck with him on £500k+ a week and he'll start or kick up a fuss if he doesn't. Nothing in this Nunez link because of it in my opinion.
I think that United are happy with him and viceversa. However at 37 Ronaldo need to embrace his age. He cannot expect to play week in week out.

Abraxas

I'm surprised people think Ronaldo is an issue. If Ronaldo doesn't like playing less then he's going to have to get a grip and realise he's not superman. He has been over his career, but even he is not immune to age. He needs a rest, and he needs support. He'll still be key but it is part of the new managers job to set boundaries, even for Ronaldo.

So what do you do, sign somebody happy to sit on a bench all year because he's utterly mediocre, wasting resources in the process and leaving us scratching our head in a years time?

Or more sensibly, do you identify a long term option that gives us depth and quality? If Nunez is that man you go and get him. I have no idea if he is as I think that requires proper scouting, but if the right man is available this summer we must get him because our forward line and sources of goals are worrying.

Leftback99

I think that United are happy with him and viceversa. However at 37 Ronaldo need to embrace his age. He cannot expect to play week in week out.
He just won't play Europa league and cups.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Could see him fitting Tottenham under Conte but then they already have a better player in kane.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah he's not going to Tottenham.

Arsenal missed CL so they're no better position than us either. I think we are in pole position.

devilish

He just won't play Europa league and cups.
Regarding the other games we should play the player whose performing best. We weren't afraid to bring solid competition for the likes of prime RVN. We should not be afraid to do the same for a 37 year old striker

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Regarding the other games we should play the player whose performing best. We weren't afraid to bring solid competition for the likes of prime RVN. We should not be afraid to do the same for a 37 year old striker
Wo did we bring in to compete with rudd?
Obviously we should bring him in if he's quality but the thing is I'm not sure if he is.

Also what's up with the tagline :lol:

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I'm surprised people think Ronaldo is an issue. If Ronaldo doesn't like playing less then he's going to have to get a grip and realise he's not superman. He has been over his career, but even he is not immune to age. He needs a rest, and he needs support. He'll still be key but it is part of the new managers job to set boundaries, even for Ronaldo.

So what do you do, sign somebody happy to sit on a bench all year because he's utterly mediocre, wasting resources in the process and leaving us scratching our head in a years time?

Or more sensibly, do you identify a long term option that gives us depth and quality? If Nunez is that man you go and get him. I have no idea if he is as I think that requires proper scouting, but if the right man is available this summer we must get him because our forward line and sources of goals are worrying.
Ronaldo may be a freak of nature but even freaks start seeing their bodies break down in their late 30s (see Zlatan).

I don't think there is any doubt United needs another forward that can play through the middle.

It would seem much more ideal to get a forward with a bit more positional versatility, especially the ability to play off the right, which would allow Sancho and Rashford to play on the left. Nunez has played LW but never RW and I'm not sure he is really what a manager like Ten Hag would want from a LW either.

Leftback99

Agree but we're not in a position of strength to do that. Buying in other positions (DM, CM, RW, RB) is better use of our limited funds than an expensive competitor to by far our highest paid player.

Tavern in the town

The issue isn’t that Ronaldo may need resting because he’s 37. The issue is he shouldn’t even be starting because he’s not good enough. If we miss out on a top quality striker because we’re afraid of upsetting him we will certainly end up regretting it.

ReallyUSA

I think that winter run proved to him and the team he needs support.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't know why people are arguing about Ronaldo so much. We aren't linked with a winger at all. Darwin is the only real attacker we have links with. Our winger options next year are Sancho (good), Rashford (had an awful year), and Elanga (average and young anyway). Ronaldo has never been an actual #9. He's always been best as a wide forward.

To me, it's pretty clear. I think if we get Darwin, we'll start him centrally, and then have him and Ronaldo drift around and swap with each other, Darwin being the guy who gets in behind while Ronaldo does his thing just in front of the defensive line, having more space out wide but being very much a forward (just not on the shoulder of the defence). Rashford will probably rotate with Ronaldo to rest him in all the cups. Sancho and Bruno to be the creators/link players in the line between the deeper midfielders and the forwards. Essentially a lopsided 4231, where Ronaldo is more forward and Sancho is more a creator. Sancho and Ronaldo can both play on either wing too, just they'd play very differently of course.

Doesn't really seem like an issue to me. Defensively off the ball, Darwin's work rate would help cover for Ronaldo's lack of, while he also has the pace and strength that Ronaldo might not have anymore to be the threat in behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.