Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Spurs are offering Champions League football and the opportunity to play under Conte. I would not be as quick to write off their chances in securing him over Man Utd, if true. Although unsure Conte is going to go two up front.

Mainoldo

I really prefer Richarlison but interested to see how this works out. Any reason why he never got minutes for Uruguay?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Agree but we're not in a position of strength to do that. Buying in other positions (DM, CM, RW, RB) is better use of our limited funds than an expensive competitor to by far our highest paid player.
I think that STK is a top priority second only to a DM. Having said that I have concerns about spending 70m on Nunez especially since there are question marks whether he's worth the price tag. In my opinion there are cheaper options around that deserve a second look. I am referring to the likes of Scamacca, Simeone, Schick, Awoniyi and Pukki

Becks00

Has Nunez issued a don't come and get me plea yet like De Jong? :p
Nah not yet but I heard he has issued a new open bus ticket for your lot to celebrate that alternate Champions League trophy in Portugal though.

Rojofiam

Us and Arsenal should both be looking at Abraham, Núnez and Isak. Any of these 3 would be a huge signing for either club and a great long-term investment.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He would be a guarantee starter there with lacca gone.
They have Nketiah who was doing pretty well toward the end of the season, but agreed they could also do with him.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
So many conflicting scouting reports on him. What is the opinion of people who have regularly watched him? Is he someone who can step to PL level?

Tavern in the town

What's with the parity comment? Or did I not get the sarcasm?
I think it’s stupid to compare nurses wages to footballers wages because it’s obvious why footballers are paid more? That’s not to say nurses aren’t underpaid because they obviously are but I’ve always hated that comparison, it’s never made sense.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think it’s stupid to compare nurses wages to footballers wages because it’s obvious why footballers are paid more? That’s not to say nurses aren’t underpaid because they obviously are but I’ve always hated that comparison, it’s never made sense.
And yet you tried to rationalise it. :rolleyes:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
We need to offer him a very good pay or else he'll never come here.
No CL football with us.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I don't know why people are arguing about Ronaldo so much. We aren't linked with a winger at all. Darwin is the only real attacker we have links with. Our winger options next year are Sancho (good), Rashford (had an awful year), and Elanga (average and young anyway). Ronaldo has never been an actual #9. He's always been best as a wide forward.

To me, it's pretty clear. I think if we get Darwin, we'll start him centrally, and then have him and Ronaldo drift around and swap with each other, Darwin being the guy who gets in behind while Ronaldo does his thing just in front of the defensive line, having more space out wide but being very much a forward (just not on the shoulder of the defence). Rashford will probably rotate with Ronaldo to rest him in all the cups. Sancho and Bruno to be the creators/link players in the line between the deeper midfielders and the forwards. Essentially a lopsided 4231, where Ronaldo is more forward and Sancho is more a creator. Sancho and Ronaldo can both play on either wing too, just they'd play very differently of course.

Doesn't really seem like an issue to me. Defensively off the ball, Darwin's work rate would help cover for Ronaldo's lack of, while he also has the pace and strength that Ronaldo might not have anymore to be the threat in behind.
Yep good post and exactly how I see it. I think some fans have this idea that the team has to be perfectly symmetrical but I could certainly see a lopsided team with Nunez and Ronaldo floating on the left with Bruno and Sancho moved further to the right side.

Seven Seas Sardines

He's got the passing range of McTominay, dribbling of Wan-Bissaka and the first touch of Lukaku. Erik came up against him for 180 minutes where he completed a total of 8/18 passes.

Still the gullible fanbase and United are desperate to waste half their budget for him to come to a possession-based team working in tight spaces because they saw him finish off a couple of counter-attacks with acres of space in the CL. There's no end to the frustration as a sensible United fan.

Last edited:

Drizzle

He's got the passing range of McTominay, dribbling of Wan-Bissaka and the first touch of Lukaku. Erik came up against him for 180 minutes where he completed a total of 8/18 passes.
And he's got twice as many goals as all of them put together, including key champions league winners against elite competition.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on the record as doubting his technique but we have a severe lack of non-Ronaldo goals in this side. Buying goalscorers is rarely cheap.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Still the gullible fanbase and United are desperate to waste half their budget for him to come to a possession-based team working in tight spaces because they saw him finish off a couple of counter-attacks with acres of space in the CL. There's no end to the frustration as a sensible United fan.
So sensible United fan Vs totally dopey experienced football coach who watched him over 2 legs in the flesh and seems to want to buy him? Is that where we're taking this?

Seven Seas Sardines

And he's got twice as many goals as all of them put together, including key champions league winners against elite competition.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on the record as doubting his technique but we have a severe lack of non-Ronaldo goals in this side. Buying goalscorers is rarely cheap.
Nkunku would be a miles better goalscorer who can actually dribble and do one-twos through parked buses. If we can't get him we need to get a young, cheap option in who still has resale value if he flops. Signing Nuñez for around £80m on high wages will be worse than Chelsea signing Lukaku and will set us back years, also possibly have Erik sacked since he won't have funds to spend on other positions.
So sensible United fan Vs totally dopey experienced football coach who watched him over 2 legs in the flesh and seems to want to buy him? Is that where we're taking this?
Another gullible fan taking indykaila tweets as gospel. If we buy Nuñez it'd be a club/Murtough signing forced upon him because the club thinks they know best as usual. Erik will be forced to come out and claim he wanted him not to undermine the player though, so you won't get your beloved reports backing this up.

Andersons Dietician

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times in various threads but seen and heard different things. But is ETH even really a possesion based coach. Yes rather have more of the ball than the other team every coach wants that, but he moved the ball vertically between the lines quite a lot with fast interchanges of positions and passing from what I’ve seen of him. Not particularly a system that will live and die by the first touch of the forward although if he can at least pop it off first time and spin inbehind or reposition himself to make an option then he’ll have done half the job required.

Give him chances and it looks like he knows how to score in many different varying fashions. Works hard, scores goals. Sounds a bit like a certain Cavani but with the added bonus of being quick over the grass.

The fees mentioned are ridiculous, unless this swap deal is true but hopefully 60 mil is it at its max because anything more and it will be a massive gamble.

However we’ve spent big on supposed dead certs before and they’ve failed horribly. Lukaku, Pogba, Maguire, DiMaria

Seven Seas Sardines

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times in various threads but seen and heard different things. But is ETH even really a possesion based coach. Yes rather have more of the ball than the other team every coach wants that, but he moved the ball vertically between the lines quite a lot with fast interchanges of positions and passing from what I’ve seen of him. Not particularly a system that will live and die by the first touch of the forward although if he can at least pop it off first time and spin inbehind or reposition himself to make an option then he’ll have done half the job required.

Give him chances and it looks like he knows how to score in many different varying fashions. Works hard, scores goals. Sounds a bit like a certain Cavani but with the added bonus of being quick over the grass.

The fees mentioned are ridiculous, unless this swap deal is true but hopefully 60 mil is it at its max because anything more and it will be a massive gamble.

However we’ve spent big on supposed dead certs before and they’ve failed horribly. Lukaku, Pogba, Maguire, DiMaria
You can bet your house on that Erik wants us to play a high line with interchanging positions and combinations of play between striker, forwards, midfielders and full-backs though. If he dares playing such a high line with De Gea sweeping remains to be seen. We'll face parked buses in 80% of PL games however, where Nuñez will have no space which he has in abundance in Primeira Liga and CL.

jesperjaap

Ive not seen much of him, but in a summer where we cant really spend £70m+ on a player, seems weird we may spend that on him, to me he doesnt seem to be a £70m player jsut like Lukaku was never a £70m player either, both seem to lack the all round game or genuine start quality to me.

DeJOng for £60m I understand but still think when even at his age we ave one of the best strikers in the world for another season, makin gour huge signing a striker seems strange regardless of if he is good enough or not.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Nkunku would be a miles better goalscorer who can actually dribble and do one-twos through parked buses. If we can't get him we need to get a young, cheap option in who still has resale value if he flops. Signing Nuñez for around £80m on high wages will be worse than Chelsea signing Lukaku and will set us back years, also possibly have Erik sacked since he won't have funds to spend on other positions.

Another gullible fan taking indykaila tweets as gospel. If we buy Nuñez it'd be a club/Murtough signing forced upon him because the club thinks they know best as usual. Erik will be forced to come out and claim he wanted him not to undermine the player though, so you won't get your beloved reports backing this up.
Have you ever watched Haller play? Quite possibly the worst passer I've ever seen in the Premier League. Ten Hag did ok with him though because he played to his strengths - finishing, heading, decent pace. That's what he would do with Darwin as well if he wants him, play to his strengths.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yep. Unfortunately it's pretty obvious that wages are based on the amount of people that can do your job, rather than value to society as a whole.

Seven Seas Sardines

Have you ever watched Haller play? Quite possibly the worst passer I've ever seen in the Premier League. Ten Hag did ok with him though because he played to his strengths - finishing, heading, decent pace. That's what he would do with Darwin as well if he wants him, play to his strengths.
Haller has really good feet for his size, he just wasn't mobile enough playing alone in acres of space for a hoofball club like West Ham. Nuñez on the other hand would suit West Ham perfectly, rubbish with the ball but mobile and decent finisher. In other words playing to his strengths is playing Ole/Moyes counter attack ball. Something I, for one, am tired of.

Drizzle

Works hard, scores goals. Sounds a bit like a certain Cavani but with the added bonus of being quick over the grass.
Thats a good comparison. Particularly as Cavani has never been technically that great. Often a bit sloppy with his linkup play. Nunez has the same workrate but is faster, taller and younger. Whether he ever reaches Cavani's level remains to be seen, but it proves the point that you don't have to have a velvet touch to be a great goalscorer.

Drizzle

Nkunku would be a miles better goalscorer who can actually dribble and do one-twos through parked buses.
Nkunku gives me Sancho vibes. Clearly a good player but I don't think he's going to put up those numbers in the Prem. I suspect defenders are going to worry a lot more about Nunez than Nkunku, but let's see. I'd be happy with either. It depends how Erik wants to set up his attacking play.

Status
Not open for further replies.