Darwin Núñez / signs for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

fps

This past decade, I feel like I've seen other clubs sign and enjoy players who under SAF would have been Man Utd legends. I worry this will be another one, even though his record on CFs wasn't as solid as some other areas.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Given how reluctant we generally are to pay over the odds we must really believe that he's a rare talent to pay such a fee.
I’m guessing you’re sceptical that’s the case based on what you’ve seen?

Hoof the ball

Great video again. I seen quite a few of them that you've done. Very insightful. Keep up the man.
In your opinion, why do you think Antony's goal and assist stats last season are somewhat mediocre if he's the player you think he is?
Wait, what? @Raees is Pythagoras in Boots?! I've been subbed to that dude for a while. No way.

Nero

5million bonus after 10 games seems a bit silly. It'll be done in 6 weeks.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I’m guessing you’re sceptical that’s the case based on what you’ve seen?
I see a potentially very good player and all but at this price, in context of how we operate, they must see something the rest of us aren't.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
100m is a lot of money for someone with one good season in Portugal. I have a lot of faith in our scouts and Klopp, though, so I'm optimistic about him being worth it.

This must also mean the end for either Firmino or Jota. I'm guessing Firmino.

That would be Mane, Minamino and Firmino outgoing with Nunez and then hopefully a wide forward coming in.

redcucumber

He looks tenacious and a very willing runner. He obviously got great numbers last season. For £85m you sort of expect the finished article, though. It's a massive sum. Wonder how he'll be priced on Fantasy Football..
This past decade, I feel like I've seen other clubs sign and enjoy players who under SAF would have been Man Utd legends. I worry this will be another one, even though his record on CFs wasn't as solid as some other areas.
Hmm, doesn't really strike me as much of a Fergie signing.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
What? Most of his striker signings were solid.

The below players were great.

Rooney, RVP, Hernandez, RVN, Yorke, Cole, Solskjaer, Sheringham, Cantona, Hughes, McClair, Tevez.

The below were decent and served some purpose.

Saha, Berbatov, Larsson, Owen (was only signed as a back up, and that winner against City was such a great feeling)

All players that were failures as strikers are the below, in which most were young with very little risk

Terry Gibson,
Andrew Rammell (sold for 3 times the price paid),
Dion Dublin (broken leg that he never fully recovered from),
Erik Nevland (young and worth the gamble),
David Bellion (young and worth the gamble),
Dong Fangzhou (young and worth the gamble),
Manucho (only cost £900k, so worth the gamble),
Diouf (young and worth the gamble),
Angelo Henriquez (young and worth the gamble)

VinchNow

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Liverpool
I believe it is 10 League games and he has to be a starter for it to count probably. So It could last until January

fps

What? Most of his striker signings were solid.

The below players were great.

Rooney, RVP, Hernandez, RVN, Yorke, Cole, Solskjaer, Sheringham, Cantona, Hughes, McClair, Tevez.

The below were decent and served some purpose.

Saha, Berbatov, Larsson, Owen (was only signed as a back up, and that winner against City was such a great feeling)

All players that were failures as strikers are the below, in which most were young with very little risk

Terry Gibson,
Andrew Rammell (sold for 3 times the price paid),
Dion Dublin (broken leg that he never fully recovered from),
Erik Nevland (young and worth the gamble),
David Bellion (young and worth the gamble),
Dong Fangzhou (young and worth the gamble),
Manucho (only cost £900k, so worth the gamble),
Diouf (young and worth the gamble),
Angelo Henriquez (young and worth the gamble)
A few more misses than other areas for me, yes I was thinking of Saha, Berbatov, and the bringing in of Owen instead of a striker of real game in game out quality.

El Jefe

How long until Liverpool fans and mouthpieces tell us they actually paid £50m for him plus £15m in unachievable add ons.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

So a 100m player then
Sam Wallace wrote transfer as £60m, and added £40m of that will be paid out of Mane :lol:

The propaganda never fails to amuse, same thing as their magical wage bill. Despite all the players being paid less than £100k, their wage bill is only £10m worse off than us who pay £200k to everyone. And, this is in season where both clubs win feck-all. So, no magical "bonuses" because "winning stuff" :lol:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This is a horrible signing to miss out on. In a time when Liverpool looked vulnerable losing mane we should have been ruthless in catching up to them. He will be a world class striker. Ignore the folks in denial.

This is just another day reminding us of the firm gap in success between us and Liverpool for the next 5 years.

Judas

Open to offers
This is a horrible signing to miss out on. In a time when Liverpool looked vulnerable losing mane we should have been ruthless in catching up to them. He will be a world class striker. Ignore the folks in denial.

This is just another day reminding us of the firm gap in success between us and Liverpool for the next 5 years.
Based on what? You called him a generational talent before too. Based on what?

::sonny::

Spent over 200 mln for Nunez, Diaz and Jota losing Salah and Mane for free

Clearly Barcelona style transfers activity

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
100m is a lot of money for someone with one good season in Portugal. I have a lot of faith in our scouts and Klopp, though, so I'm optimistic about him being worth it.

This must also mean the end for either Firmino or Jota. I'm guessing Firmino.
Why does it mean the end of either of those? Mané is leaving. Origi has left.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
A few more misses than other areas for me, yes I was thinking of Saha, Berbatov, and the bringing in of Owen instead of a striker of real game in game out quality.
I'm sorry but, whilst I agree with you that Darwin feels like a Fergie signing, you're completely wrong about Fergie's eye for a striker. Even Saha was excellent for us, he was just made of spaghetti. His record in that area is about as good as it gets really. Also really wanted Batistuta and Shearer of course who would have been amazing for us. Marcelo Salas I was less convinced about, think that would have been more of a Forlan situation.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Might be about easing cash flow. 30 Sept is a big tax deadline which presumably is a big day for football clubs.

CM

Crazy figures for someone with only one season of real substance behind him. I can't think of many other players who have gone for such a large fee in those circumstances - Osimhen maybe?

Liverpool are due a dud. I'm not quite sure Nunez will be that but this is certainly the biggest gamble they've taken since Klopp has been there.

JustinC00

Ya glad we didn't go that much if we ever were really interested. Wouldn't surprise me if Mendes had our name out there just for that.

I would much rather go with a combination of Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford, Elanga, Martial, Amad and Pellistri in ETH's system and focus on reinforcing MF, FB and CB than 100m on him.

RuudTom83

Having never seen the lad kick a football it's not a transfer I will get upset about...but it will be interesting to watch how he gets on in the premier league and comparisons will be drawn with Haaland. So its not going to be an easy task by any means.

Plus losing Mane and having Salah in his last year on his contract...Liverpool might struggle to have a 90+ point season if they get some bad luck.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ya glad we didn't go that much if we ever were really interested. Wouldn't surprise me if Mendes had our name out there just for that.

I would much rather go with a combination of Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford, Elanga, Martial, Amad and Pellistri in ETH's system and focus on reinforcing MF, FB and CB than 100m on him.
Absolutely

CM

He got 6 league goals in 29 appearances the season before last, in Portugal. He may well turn out to be a good signing for them but it's far from a sure thing.

We've got far bigger problems to sort. Forking out £85m on Nunez would likely mean we miss out on other important targets.

TheReligion

Abusive

Drama queen

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
There were more misses in centre midfield than striker, there were more misses on the wings as well.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Absolutely bizarre that SAF neglected the centre of midfield so much in his later years.

I think the only decent midfield signing Fergie made after 09 was re-signing a 35 year old Scholes.

Going way off topic here though.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Why does it mean the end of either of those? Mané is leaving. Origi has left.
Forgot about Origi. So perhaps they’ll both stay. I hope so anyway, although I’d really like winger as we only really have Salah and Diaz for those spots.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Sam Wallace wrote transfer as £60m, and added £40m of that will be paid out of Mane :lol:
Sounds about right.

Liverpool reported transfer fee: Initial payment in pounds. Man Utd reported transfer fee: Full fee in euros (reported as pounds) + all bonuses, no matter how unlikely to be fulfilled + wages over full term of contract + player bonuses + agent fees.

Kag

It’s a risk. It might come off, but pretending that he is a sure thing is disingenuous looking at the facts.

The difference is that Liverpool have less areas of the first team to address and are in a much better position to take this risk. For the prices quoted, we aren’t.

SATA

100M euros? :lol:

I would be absolutely livid if United spend such money on this player. Glad that we stayed away and he ‘doesn’t want us’

TheReligion

Abusive
Absolutely bizarre that SAF neglected the centre of midfield so much in his later years.

I think the only decent midfield signing Fergie made after 09 was re-signing a 35 year old Scholes.

Going way off topic here though.
By all accounts he’d arranged Kroos for when he left but it was all fecked up in his absence

IRELANDUNITED

Based on what? You called him a generational talent before too. Based on what?
Was literally just about to ask this myself. I assume the OP is just stating his worst fears as there is no real evidence if Nunez will be a top class player or not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.