David Alaba | Real Madrid

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Definitely not no but I guess they saved not paying the expense of a transfer fee. It's the way free agents are going and they know their value.
Alternatively we could have just given that money to Varane........

::sonny::

Fortunately they are imploding with ageing squad, stupid transfers (hazard, alaba)

Sad sack

Pickle85

Maybe resigning Bale wasn’t great but an actual signing for Real was amazing. He’s has won 4 CL’s and was key in three of those wins iirc.
Yeah, true. Rated him enormously as a player but that contract they gave him the second time was mental. Also, tough to predict that hazard would fall off a cliff like he did but looking at those two as the highest paid players... It reminds me of Sanchez for us.

Oldyella

His father is his agent - together with Zahavi.
why not. It's quite common when players move a parent gets bought a house etc, or a job at Madrid like Odegaard's dad got when he signed for them. Maybe it's for all the "upheaval" of moving countries etc

edit: and his dad is partly his agent....:nervous::nervous::nervous: (thnx @Blackwidow)
Fair enough. Just seems daft he's getting a massive wedge and then more for family on top. Just give it to him! But if his dad is his agent that's fair.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
People keep asking why they didn't give the money to Varane. There are two reasons:

1) Real need to raise cash. Selling Varane puts €40m on the books, whilst Alaba is €24m a year. Additionally, they save Varane's wages of approx €12m.

2) Varane hasn't been great for Madrid for the last two years. Losing him probably isn't seen as that bad of a thing for them.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
That’s 405,000 euros a week. Plus the signing fee is worth an additional 73,000 euros a week. I’ve done that based on the typical bi monthly pay periods most contracts are paid on, meaning 24 pay periods a year. That’s astronomical for the CB version of Alaba.

I get they saved on the fee, but what does it do to the wage structure for other good but not elite players? That said, I think he’ll do alright in Spain. His game is suited to it.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Why would they throw so much money at him. Were there even any other clubs actively trying to sign him?

ReddBalls

People keep asking why they didn't give the money to Varane. There are two reasons:

1) Real need to raise cash. Selling Varane puts €40m on the books, whilst Alaba is €24m a year. Additionally, they save Varane's wages of approx €12m.

2) Varane hasn't been great for Madrid for the last two years. Losing him probably isn't seen as that bad of a thing for them.
and last but not least 3) he rejected them, even though he was offered more than he gets at United.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Alaba family 6.3M? Clubs are going to have to compete with paying families now :lol:

We need an rvn

That’s 405,000 euros a week. Plus the signing fee is worth an additional 73,000 euros a week. I’ve done that based on the typical bi monthly pay periods most contracts are paid on, meaning 24 pay periods a year. That’s astronomical for the CB version of Alaba.

I get they saved on the fee, but what does it do to the wage structure for other good but not elite players? That said, I think he’ll do alright in Spain. His game is suited to it.
This is the part that really confuses me to a degree. A player comes through the ranks, does well and gets offered a new contract worth £150k p/w. He does well and gets a renewal for £200k p/w but no more because they don't want to ruin the wage structure. Yet the club is willing to offer a free agent £400k p/w...

I for one am completely for wage structures and we can see how the DDG contract has fecked us up a bit. Yes, I get the fact you don't have to pay a transfer fee to replace them, but a wage structure and happy dressing room are surely just as important

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Real Madrid's wage structure is a bit crap and uneven.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Why would they throw so much money at him. Were there even any other clubs actively trying to sign him?
Bayern wanted to keep him and it seemed like he would also have liked to stay for the right money, he did not outright say that he wants to leave, but was negotiating for a long time. So Real had to offer significantly more than Bayern.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Alaba family 6.3M? Clubs are going to have to compete with paying families now :lol:
Exactly. Clubs can no longer lick their lips at any opportunity of signing a top free agent player.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I’d say that’s been happening for a long time. It’s only when it’s leaked, we get to find out about it. Neymar’s family also got a massive fee when he moved from Santos, didn’t they? Pep’s brother got a football club :lol: (though Barca and City aren’t the norm). And it will become more common as players move as free agents.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I’d say that’s been happening for a long time. It’s only when it’s leaked, we get to find out about it. Neymar’s family also got a massive fee when he moved from Santos, didn’t they? Pep’s brother got a football club :lol: (though Barca and City aren’t the norm). And it will become more common as players move as free agents.
There has to be a rebalance at some point. A situation where clubs pay gigantic transfer fees AND huge wages only to see those players later just walk out on a free isn't sustainable.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
There has to be a rebalance at some point. A situation where clubs pay gigantic transfer fees AND huge wages only to see those players later just walk out on a free isn't sustainable.
Definitely. Well start seeing players being shifted before the end of contract (like Varane as an example) for more “reasonable” fees. That’s a start of rebalancing I guess.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
I know it’s been a bit common in some aspect or another, wasn’t there talk United paid Pogba extra 5 mil to a buy a house? PSG we’re going to help Neymar in his business adventures, Iniesta joined that club in Japan as they were going to help with his winery business, we’ve seen club get in trouble with giving jobs/houses to parents of young kids they try to bring to there academies. It’s just getting way out of hand way too much power is given to players and agents.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I know it’s been a bit common in some aspect or another, wasn’t there talk United paid Pogba extra 5 mil to a buy a house? PSG we’re going to help Neymar in his business adventures, Iniesta joined that club in Japan as they were going to help with his winery business, we’ve seen club get in trouble with giving jobs/houses to parents of young kids they try to bring to there academies. It’s just getting way out of hand way too much power is given to players and agents.
Agents are definitely a problem yeah but then again, you get clubs treating players not needed like dirt as well. It’s a double edged sword IMO.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

They gave 30M in bonuses and commissions for Alaba so they barely raised any money. And Varane's renewed salary would have been lower than what Alaba gets.

ShareEndorphins

Supports
Chelsea
Some make him out to be a Sunday league footballer.
He was a stable at Bayern over many years and is a good character.

Overpriced yes but if Real pays for it it is not his fault.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Some make him out to be a Sunday league footballer.
He was a stable at Bayern over many years and is a good character.

Overpriced yes but if Real pays for it it is not his fault.
He is a great LB but i highly doubt you‘ll find a Bayern supporter who raves about him as a CB.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
They gave 30M in bonuses and commissions for Alaba so they barely raised any money. And Varane's renewed salary would have been lower than what Alaba gets.
You're forgetting about book value. Varane had a low book value as he was running out of years. Alaba, they can probably say is worth €80m+ so they'll bump that onto their asset list which brings down their debt to asset ratio, whilst also banking the extra €40m for Varane on the accounts.

The whole reason Barca and Real are currently doing free transfers is to try and improve their La Liga wage cap allowance and to downplay the extent of their debts to their assets.

::sonny::

In 2 months they will ask him to cut his wage

If I was a player i would never accept a cut wage

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
What’s his best position? I always thought he ended up playing at centre back because he lost his place at leftback to Davies but Real seems to have brought him in to play centre back.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
What’s his best position? I always thought he ended up playing at centre back because he lost his place at leftback to Davies but Real seems to have brought him in to play centre back.
LB >> LCB >>>>>>>>>>>>>> DM

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He played CB at Bayern because the other options for that position were even worse than him. That opened up the LB position for Davies, who heavily relied on Alaba's support, as he was often very advanced on the field.

Otherwise I agree with @Acrobat7

he will shock alot of people with his performances as He managed to look competent in the role operating in the craziest high line ever alongside some iffy partners at bayern. I expect him to be mint for Ancelotti
He’ll shock me for sure, I still don’t see an elite centre half there despite his excellent ”quarterback” ability, so looking forward to it.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
he will shock alot of people with his performances as He managed to look competent in the role operating in the craziest high line ever alongside some iffy partners at bayern. I expect him to be mint for Ancelotti
A high line defense plays to is strenghts (he's fast for a CB), there's no guarantee he'll adjust to Real to the point where he's worth what is paid. Hernandez when I shape is a far better CB than Alaba.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
A high line defense plays to is strenghts (he's fast for a CB), there's no guarantee he'll adjust to Real to the point where he's worth what is paid. Hernandez when I shape is a far better CB than Alaba.
Alaba is shockingly underrated as a cb. He is quick, a good one on one defender and game reader, and good in the air. Pep was the first to notice and put him there for great effect during an injury crisis at bayern. Under Ancelotti i expect him to get even better. Especially if militao maintains last season's form. He will finally have a consistent partner that can blend with him

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Alaba is shockingly underrated as a cb. He is quick, a good one on one defender and game reader, and good in the air. Pep was the first to notice and put him there for great effect during an injury crisis at bayern. Under Ancelotti i expect him to get even better. Especially if militao maintains last season's form. He will finally have a consistent partner that can blend with him
I hope you are right. Not because of Real (feck ‘em!) but because i like Alaba. However i think he will underwhelm you.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Is he good in the air though? I thought that was one of his main weaknesses as CB.

For example, the defender sits 14th for attempted defensive aerial duels P90 in this season’s Bundesliga compared to the rest of the league’s central defenders and just 15th for the amount he tends to win. In fact, when it comes to winning defensive aerial duels during an opponent’s set-piece, Alaba sits bottom of the division among other central defenders.
https://www.footballtransfers.com/e...a-his-2020-21-stats-amid-real-madrid-interest

Pep's Suit

5 year deal? To me he already looks like a 31-32 years old player. I think he became a BuLi regular when he still was a teenager so this is the most ridiculous aspect of this contract. 3+1 if Real's happy would be ok but 5 years????

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa