David Beckham reportedly agrees 150M deal to become ambassador for Qatar World Cup

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
so social media and the selective narrative you seek out tells you.
OK, so qatar is a dictatorship that has been associated with slave labor and violations of human rights. Do you see anything in recent times that shows they want to change? Do you see signs of democracy? Respect for migrant workers? Better treatment of minorities?

If it's a narrative I'm buying into, feel free to share some information to change my mind.

FriedClams

OK, so qatar is a dictatorship that has been associated with slave labor and violations of human rights. Do you see anything in recent times that shows they want to change? Do you see signs of democracy? Respect for migrant workers? Better treatment of minorities?

If it's a narrative I'm buying into, feel free to share some information to change my mind.
https://time.com/6240955/qatar-world-cup-migrants-labor-reforms/

Plenty stuff in here that shows progress

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
It's a long article, I'll read it on the weekend, but the title alone should give you some clues on why it's useful for people to call out their bullshit. They're not changing because beckham is walking around the country being nice, they are changing because of global backlash.

"A Global Backlash Is Forcing Qatar to Treat Migrant Workers Better" it couldn't be clearer.

Anything on democracy and treatment of lgbt minorities?

FriedClams

It's a long article, I'll read it on the weekend, but the title alone should give you some clues on why it's useful for people to call out their bullshit. They're not changing because beckham is walking around the country being nice, they are changing because of global backlash.

"A Global Backlash Is Forcing Qatar to Treat Migrant Workers Better" it couldn't be clearer.

Anything on democracy and treatment of lgbt minorities?
You appear completely unwilling to accept that Beckham has gone on with even a partial belief that he can influence any kind of change. It’s the beginning of that journey, the country has a goal to have revamped the nations global standpoint by 2030, so tag me then if it’s obvious that nothing has changed. Way too soon in the journey to be critical of Beckham.

Kingdingaling

You must have misunderstood me, because I am not preaching every single person should have absolutely nothing to do with anything related to criminal regimes. I am preaching rich and influential people have a social responsibility and therefore should not accept money to whitewash criminal regimes. If they do, people should criticize them.

I don't want to have any moral high ground over other folks like me who choose to go and work in countries with dictatorships.
I understand.

What I think I’m struggling with is what the thresholds for ‘rich and powerful’ and ‘criminal regimes’ constitute. Having ‘convenient’ thresholds, meaning ones that don’t really make me personally have to make any adjustments, wouldn’t sit right, even if they were objectively ‘correct’.

Does getting paid to have Qatar airways brandished across your chest count?

BTW - I hope you don’t interpret my post as challenging your opinions in any way - I genuinely have struggled with topics like this from a moral perspective for quite a while now so I’m just intrigued!