David Beckham's retiring

Ixion

:lol: Waddle. Theres only around 200 players that have even won a Premier League winner's medal, add those to a list and group in all the best players to never win one and you'd still be about 700 players short. Honestly some people act like hes some journeyman level player who would barely deserve a place in a midtable side.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
That's a bit rich coming from a retarded Geordie who cannot even speak English and who bottled the biggest moment in his England career.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
By the way, I don't agree with the 'not in the top 1000' part, more the assessment of 'greatness' 'goodness'.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
The twat couldn't pronounce pelanty, let alone 1000 players.

Read Jeff Powell's article on Beckham? fecking hell, did Beckham set Jeff's house on fire, killed his cat, fecked his wife and pissed in his cornflakes or something?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
His lifestyle distracted from his quality as a footballer which is why you see articles like that pop up. Can someone pull out that video of him putting in a sublime cross from pretty much the half way line for fat Ronaldo? fecking ridiculous that was. He was a fantastic player, approaching world class I'd say

Seveneric

If only someone could actually make him back up his asinine comments :houllier: He should be given a week and asked to name 1000 players better than Beckham

Ixion

I find it funny when I see people comment that he had no pace and couldn't beat a man like it has ever mattered or is relevant, I'm sure they would have Valencia in their side over a peak Beckham.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I find it funny when I see people comment that he had no pace and couldn't beat a man like it has ever mattered or is relevant, I'm sure they would have Valencia in their side over a peak Beckham.
Agree - however ultimately I think that was the aspect of his game that led to his departure from the club.

I remember that in the game against Real Madrid in his final season, SAF made a comment that he needed to find a new trick, or words to that effect, given that he couldn't beat his man.

That led to us signing Ronnie.

Sam

My God that article from Waddle was an embarrassment.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Most people on here know my opinion of Beckham. The legend debate will rage forever. It still rages about Ronaldo & Keane..and to some even Schmiechel. No one will ever fully agree on a conclusive list beyond the mainstays of the Holy Trinity, Edwards, Scholes, Giggs & Robson (and I fear the younger generation may sadly forget him, for reasons stated below)

Personally I think that whole '99 Midfield are legends. The greatest midfield we've ever had and his contribution to that season alone would be worthy enough of the status at any other club. People often say odd things like he never did it on the very biggest stage, but as a winger, I'd say setting up both goals in the CL final is about as good a contribution on the biggest stage as you could hope for.

We've won the European Cup 3 times, and aside from Cantona & Edwards (who most consider would've won it) the top players from those seasons are the ones remembered as legends accordingly, with their contribution to it elevating them beyond the plethora of great longstanding loyal players (Robson aside, none of our star players from the less successful years are given such reverence) And as weird as it may sound now, if it weren't for Giggsy's yoga induced indian summer the question of who was better wouldn't be such a straight forward one. Of those hallowed 4 he was the least effectual of that year. The Arsenal goal was iconic & legendary in itself, but it was the other 3, Keane & Beckham in particular, who were the true performers of that term, and the ones who propelled us to it. And lets not forget that Becks also scored a cracker in that very game!

The whole media whore thing is offset by the opinion of him within football. He's been a hit with the fans of 3 of the biggest (if not THE 3 biggest) and thus demanding clubs in the world and is widely revered as a great player & professional from those who played the game. Those who want to downplay his contribution are welcome to, but they're outnumbered, and he'll go down as an icon of the sport (the actual SPORT) regardless.

In that regard at the very least, wherever the legend ball falls, I'm proud that possibly the most famous face in football was not just a United player, but a passionate one, who's biggest legacy will have been created and remembered for being here.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The twat couldn't pronounce pelanty, let alone 1000 players.

Read Jeff Powell's article on Beckham? fecking hell, did Beckham set Jeff's house on fire, killed his cat, fecked his wife and pissed in his cornflakes or something?
Yep! except he fecked his cat and killed his wife

LR7

Legend my fat arse!! A brilliant crosser of the ball granted but I got sick to my back teeth of seeing him grab the ball at every free kick, we had loads of players that could strike a ball in his time (Denis Irwin was no slouch!) But oh no David did (& does) like to hog the limelight!

Scholes` retirement with Fergie is the stuff of legends, Old Goldenbollocks couldn`t stand it could he!? Not the centre of fecking attention the big tart!??

Loved seeing him "on his game" but his attitude for the last season & half before his departure from OT left a lot to be desired. Too busy selling sunglasses & underpants under the gleaming hawkeye of his skank wife to be considered "a legend" & Fergie did well to get rid!

Also Captain of the most frustrating, underachieving England team in the history of frustrating, underachieving England teams!! Yes I remember THAT performance against Greece as I remember Owen`s performance against Germany! However it WAS fecking Greece lets not forget.

Thanks Becks for the great years you gave us, hopefully one day I will be able to erase from memory what an excruciatingly irritating media crack-whore you became!!!
This is as bitter as some of the rubbish I've seen in the Rooney thread lately.

Anyway sounds like Beckham has been thinking about an ambassadorial role with Manchester United for some time now:

But he revealed as recently as last November that he one day expected to become an ambassador at United, saying: “I’m sure that will happen in some way. I think Manchester United are a club about history. Other clubs might have the money and might be able to pay players more, but when Man United come calling it’s impossible to turn them down.

“You see a player like Robin van Persie has spent the years he has at Arsenal, but when Man United come knocking it’s impossible to say no.

“It doesn’t matter what other clubs are interested and what money is being thrown around.”
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ews/manchester-united-try-tempt-david-3865206

I really hope it happens. Would be great to have Beckham back around the place.

Waddle's talking complete twaddle. You'd expect a former pro to have a bit of knowledge of the game. Because Becks shouldn't have to justify his football career to anyone. Just look at his honours list, the clubs he's played for and the stats he's produced. It speaks for itself.

I'd like to see the 1,000 players who've been better than him.

Sewelly The Geordie

Waddle's a dunce and he's exagerrating to a stupid degree to probably grab attention, but I agree with the crux of his argument. There have been many more naturally gifted players than Beckham, Waddle included. For over a decade now Beckham's entire career has been built on brand over substance.

If anything it's refreshing to see somebody offer a differing opinion to the endless circle-jerk that is happening, even it had to come from an muppet.

Moonwalker

Waddle's a dunce and he's exagerrating to a stupid degree to probably grab attention, but I agree with the crux of his argument. There have been many more naturally gifted players than Beckham, Waddle included. For over a decade now Beckham's entire career has been built on brand over substance.

If anything it's refreshing to see somebody offer a differing opinion to the endless circle-jerk that is happening, even it had to come from an muppet.
Well you went for vagueness. I'm sure if Chris hadn't opted for the opposite, against his better judgement, less people would have complained about it.

This 'naturally talented' I find strange too. It's possibly one of the least complimentary things you could say about a player when summarising his career. Indeed it's often used when you are forced to speak favorably about someone who had less than a stellar career. "Well, things didn't work out for him, but he was very talented".

And even if there were 'many more' of those talented players, I don't see how the fact that he's achieved more than most of them could be used as a stick to beat him with.

Brand over substance for over a decade is a silly thing to say as well, knowing that he's won a league title in 2007.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Most people on here know my opinion of Beckham. The legend debate will rage forever. It still rages about Ronaldo & Keane..and to some even Schmiechel. No one will ever fully agree on a conclusive list beyond the mainstays of the Holy Trinity, Edwards, Scholes, Giggs & Robson (and I fear the younger generation may sadly forget him, for reasons stated below)

Personally I think that whole '99 Midfield are legends. The greatest midfield we've ever had and his contribution to that season alone would be worthy enough of the status at any other club. People often say odd things like he never did it on the very biggest stage, but as a winger, I'd say setting up both goals in the CL final is about as good a contribution on the biggest stage as you could hope for.

We've won the European Cup 3 times, and aside from Cantona & Edwards (who most consider would've won it) the top players from those seasons are the ones remembered as legends accordingly, with their contribution to it elevating them beyond the plethora of great longstanding loyal players (Robson aside, none of our star players from the less successful years are given such reverence) And as weird as it may sound now, if it weren't for Giggsy's yoga induced indian summer the question of who was better wouldn't be such a straight forward one. Of those hallowed 4 he was the least effectual of that year. The Arsenal goal was iconic & legendary in itself, but it was the other 3, Keane & Beckham in particular, who were the true performers of that term, and the ones who propelled us to it. And lets not forget that Becks also scored a cracker in that very game!

The whole media whore thing is offset by the opinion of him within football. He's been a hit with the fans of 3 of the biggest (if not THE 3 biggest) and thus demanding clubs in the world and is widely revered as a great player & professional from those who played the game. Those who want to downplay his contribution are welcome to, but they're outnumbered, and he'll go down as an icon of the sport (the actual SPORT) regardless.

In that regard at the very least, wherever the legend ball falls, I'm proud that possibly the most famous face in football was not just a United player, but a passionate one, who's biggest legacy will have been created and remembered for being here.
Exactly, quite a fair amount of shit being spouted by clueless cnuts in this thread and the media alike.

Sewelly The Geordie

Well you went for vagueness. I'm sure if Chris hadn't opted for the opposite, against his better judgement, less people would have complained about it.

This 'naturally talented' I find strange too. It's possibly one of the least complimentary things you could say about a player when summarising his career. Indeed it's often used when you are forced to speak favorably about someone who had less than a stellar career. "Well, things didn't work out for him, but he was very talented".

And even if there were 'many more' of those talented players, I don't see how the fact that he's achieved more than most of them could be used as a stick to beat him with.

Brand over substance for over a decade is a silly thing to say as well, knowing that he's won a league title in 2007.
I'm not agreeing with the 1000 thing. Waddle is a mug, the type of idiot that Newcastle and Sunderland fans desperately try to pass off as 'belonging' to the other team (played for NUFC, supposedly supported SAFC). He's no doubt put that bit in because he wants the attention. However if you extend it to the history of football on a worldwide scale theres no doubt Beckham slips into obscurity compared to many players, and even further if you want to talk about raw natural talent.

""I think there has been a lot more talented players in the world. But he made the most of what he has got

"He has got a terrific image and used it very well. He never had a trick, wasn't particularly quick, but he was very good at set-pieces and deliveries, he made chances and made goals and was fantastic for clubs."

That's from the rest of Waddle's quotes. I think that's an acceptable opinion and possibly more balanced than a lot of the gushing praise in the press.

On the La Liga title in 07. Beckham only started 15 league games that season, hardly dragged them to the title. I don't think he's been a serious 100% footballer since he left England, and arguably even before then - Fergie's quotes on his interests being split seem to agree too.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Giving Beckham credit for setting up the first goal in the CL Final in '99 is being extremely generous considering how many players had touched it from the corner. It had even been half cleared by ze Germans before Sheringham knocked it in. So I don't think you can credit him with two assists.

Moonwalker

I'm not agreeing with the 1000 thing. Waddle is a mug, the type of idiot that Newcastle and Sunderland fans desperately try to pass off as 'belonging' to the other team (played for NUFC, supposedly supported SAFC). He's no doubt put that bit in because he wants the attention. However if you extend it to the history of football on a worldwide scale theres no doubt Beckham slips into obscurity compared to many players, and even further if you want to talk about raw natural talent.

""I think there has been a lot more talented players in the world. But he made the most of what he has got

"He has got a terrific image and used it very well. He never had a trick, wasn't particularly quick, but he was very good at set-pieces and deliveries, he made chances and made goals and was fantastic for clubs."

That's from the rest of Waddle's quotes. I think that's an acceptable opinion and possibly more balanced than a lot of the gushing praise in the press.

On the La Liga title in 07. Beckham only started 15 league games that season, hardly dragged them to the title. I don't think he's been a serious 100% footballer since he left England, and arguably even before then - Fergie's quotes on his interests being split seem to agree too
That's a typical thing a person looking at wikipedia would say. When actually, he was frozen out at the beginning of that season by a manager that admitted he didn't initially rate him, only to work his socks off to force his way into his plans, and eventually yes 'dragging them to the title' isn't at all as inaccurate as you might think.

All this in an era where players fly off to play golf in the middle of the season and throw their toys out the pram at every opportunity. I'd say that's plenty of substance right there, and very little brand. It's actually exemplary professionalism.

eric le roi

I went to see an England friendly match at the old Wembley c.1999. Beckham was playing on the right. He literally never stopped running the entire match - up and down, up and down. I have never seen anything like it before or since.

He's a legend in my eyes. I got annoyed with the way Posh seemed to rule his life but he's a United fan through and through and never misses an opportunity to say how much he loves the club. So best wishes Becks, and hope to see you at Old Trafford again in some capacity.

Moonwalker

I agree with those little excerpts from Waddle's interview too. I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't actually.

"he made chances and made goals and was fantastic for clubs"

What's not to agree? It's just that it coheres much more with this gushing you speak of, and contradicts the rest of what he's saying.

Sewelly The Geordie

So after 3 seasons of no trophies they won one when he was dropped for the majority of the season? I remember that season and remember him coming back into the side towards the end. He was hardly the tipping point in winning them the league though.

Obviously trying to argue in any way against Beckham on here is going to go down like shitting in somebody's coffee, so it might not be worth the effort. I actually like Beckham a lot as a person, and he was certainly a good player. But he was IMO never a great player and has a lot of his reputation built on myth. Why 12 years down the line is a 2-2 draw in a qualifying game to scrape us into major tournament still revered so greatly for example? The iconic clips that were playing on SSN all day were all 12+ years ago.

Your comment on players disappearing mid-season is certainly a pertinent one, because he did that on a number of occasions when he was playing for LA Galaxy.

Moonwalker

So after 3 seasons of no trophies they won one when he was dropped for the majority of the season? I remember that season and remember him coming back into the side towards the end. He was hardly the tipping point in winning them the league though.

Obviously trying to argue in any way against Beckham on here is going to go down like shitting in somebody's coffee, so it might not be worth the effort. I actually like Beckham a lot as a person, and he was certainly a good player. But he was IMO never a great player and has a lot of his reputation built on myth. Why 12 years down the line is a 2-2 draw in a qualifying game to scrape us into major tournament still revered so greatly for example? The iconic clips that were playing on SSN all day were all 12+ years ago.

Your comment on players disappearing mid-season is certainly a pertinent one, because he did that on a number of occasions when he was playing for LA Galaxy.
Well if I didn't say that in the context of 'over a decade' one might mistake that for a fair comment.

Dropped for the majority of the season is factually incorrect. I think it would be fair for you to just admit at this point that you haven't actually watched that season, rather than trying to sound as if you did while reading stats from wikipedia.

Don't think you should quit arguing your point though. Forums are not very fun when everyone agrees.

Sewelly The Geordie

I did watch that season, I have always watched La Liga. I remember him being out of the side for a combination of Capello not rating him and not agreeing with his decision to go to LA. He was out of the team for more than half of the league campaign, that is an inarguable fact.

Moonwalker

He played 23 games in a season that has 38. So no, he wasn't out for the majority of the league campaign, unless you count substitute appearances as 'out of the team' which would be the weirdest thing you've said tonight.

There, it's quite arguable, not to mention erroneous.

Moonwalker

has a lot of his reputation built on myth
This is where we agree. Except that's exactly one word too short, and the word is bad.

His bad reputation is the one really built on myth, and arguably what got him in the whole frozen out situation in the first place.

Ixion

One of the best passers in the world, and one of the best crossers and set piece takers in the history of the game. And who cares if he achieved that not because of some natural raw talent, it makes him no less of a player.

"David Beckham is Britain’s finest striker of a football not because of God-given talent but because he practises with a relentless application that the vast majority of less gifted players wouldn’t contemplate." - Fergie

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

On the La Liga title in 07. Beckham only started 15 league games that season, hardly dragged them to the title. I don't think he's been a serious 100% footballer since he left England, and arguably even before then - Fergie's quotes on his interests being split seem to agree too.
In 2007 Capello tried to freeze out Becks because he had signed a precontract with. L.A galaxy. That is why he only started 15 games. However his attitude an application in training won Capello over and by the business end of the season he was a regular again and one of the biggest contributor to their title win.

Gazza

No, this is inaccurate. Becks has got plenty of criticism on the caf, some of it fair and some of it not, but he definitely gets his fair share on here.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
P. head was the only over the top one in fairness.
I just don't see how someone who finished runner up in WPOTY awards twice in a very strong era for players i.e. Zidane and Ronaldo were still in this era can be deemed as 'was never world-class... or 1000 players better than him'.

His only rival for best Right-Sided player in the world was Luis Figo, a legend in his own right. The guy oozed class and ability on the ball, decision making was excellent, his touch was almost always immaculate .. this United side featuring a young Becks instead of Valencia would be transformed I'm sure. He was a consistent source of goals/assists, an idol for many not due to his looks but for his ability ... everyone wanted to strike the ball like him, but there are alot of bitter and uneducated fan's out there who just see him as an average player who worked exceptionally hard. I'm sorry but you don't score some of the goals he did against some very strong sides.. think Arsenal FA Cup Semi's, the goals against Madrid, the assists he produced in countless European cup ties, his goal v Deportivo? a very decisive player who possessed an important quality, he was mentally tough as nails... very courageous, demanded the ball, seeked to make things happen.. it's often said demeaningly that he is an attention-seeker, but on the pitch he used it as an attribute.. for an englishman - he never shied away and liked to get involved.

Just some clips to illustrate that his technical ability is underrated, his vision and his quality of pass are exceptional .. in te last clip, he's hitting quality passes with his weaker foot.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I nicked this from another thread, but he scored a hell of a lot of fantastic goals for us...

His free kick taking really was something else.