David Beckham's retiring

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
This from someone who wasn't very naturally talented apparently:lol:

He was a fantastic player and at one point was clearly one of the top 10 players in the world and you don't do that if you're not naturally talented.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Becks has a pretty good CV.

Over a 100 caps for England, and captained his country. He has won Premier League titles, Champions League and various other domestic trophies. La Liga, MLS cup and, the French title. He played for some of the biggest teams in Europe - United, Real Madrid, Milan.

He was not in the same class as the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Figo, Zidane, or some or some of the best in the World, but he should definitely be considered amongst the a group of very good players of his generation. He also conducted himself very professionally throughout his career, and has hardly let himself down on or off the pitch.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I nicked this from another thread, but he scored a hell of a lot of fantastic goals for us...

His free kick taking really was something else.
Excellent video for anyone doubting his talents. For me, a true United legend along with the others in the class that we have all enjoyed for so many years. I know a lot are uncomfortable with the overuse of legend but I feel he is deserving.

I'm guessing we'll see a lot more of him over the next few years and I'm actually looking forward to it. He is a humanitarian deep down, especially for the kids. I'm hoping he'll be able to focus on that now and make even more of a difference.

MrMojo

Excellent video for anyone doubting his talents. For me, a true United legend along with the others in the class that we have all enjoyed for so many years. I know a lot are uncomfortable with the overuse of legend but I feel he is deserving.

I'm guessing we'll see a lot more of him over the next few years and I'm actually looking forward to it. He is a humanitarian deep down, especially for the kids. I'm hoping he'll be able to focus on that now and make even more of a difference.
I'm a fan of Becks but, humanitarian? When he's flogging Diet Coke and Burger King to your kids I think it's important to keep some perspective.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I'm a fan of Becks but, humanitarian? When he's flogging Diet Coke and Burger King to your kids I think it's important to keep some perspective.
Perhaps a bit strong but still...
http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/david-beckham
And from wiki....
Beckham has supported UNICEF since his days at Manchester United and in January 2005, the English national team captain became a Goodwill Ambassador with a special focus on UNICEF's Sports for Development program. More recently, Beckham has pledged his support for the current Unite for Children, Unite against AIDS campaign. He is also a patron of the Elton John AIDS Foundation.[252]
On 17 January 2007, Rebecca Johnstone, a 19-year-old cancer patient from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, received a surprise phone call from Beckham. After the conversation, he sent her a Real Madrid jersey with his signature on it. Rebecca died on 29 January 2007.[253]
Beckham is a founding member of the Malaria No More UK Leadership Council and helped launch the charity in 2009 with Andy Murray at Wembley Stadium. Video footage from the day can be seen on YouTube and the charity's website malarianomore.org.uk. Beckham also appeared in a 2007 public service announcement for Malaria No More US, advertising the need for inexpensive bed nets. The TV spot aired in the US on Fox Networks, including Fox Soccer Channel, and can also be seen on YouTube.[254]
Since joining Major League Soccer, Beckham has been a very public advocate in the U.S. for related charities such as "MLS W.O.R.K.S." On 17 August 2007, he conducted a youth clinic in Harlem, along with other current and former MLS players. This was in advance of his first New York City area match the following day against the New York Red Bulls. That team's Jozy Altidore and Juan Pablo Ángel were also with Beckham, teaching skills to disadvantaged youth to benefit FC Harlem Lions.[255]

Edit, if she says it, it must be true :drool:

“The Global Gift Gala Philanthropist Award recognises prominent figures who dedicate their time and energy to helping those in need. David has worked extensively with a number of charities and we are delighted to be able to honour his humanitarian work at this special event," said Longoria.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Captain of PSG tonight. Most of the PSG players have the French flag colours in their hair, beard and face.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think that because of all the media hype and the Beckham brand shit, people don't realize just how much Beckham loves playing football. Knowing it's his last moments ever as a professional footballer obviously got to him.

wr8_utd

:'(
How did the ref just let him take his time, hug every player and take over a minute before getting subbed off? I know it's an emotional moment and all that but rules are rules, right?