David Brooks

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
No thread on Brooks? Surely that reflect how underrated this player is?

I really like the look of him and he must be breakthrough of the year in the PL. He is not flashy in any aspect, but is a really efficient and intelligent footballer with great ball controll and technique. I think he falls under the radar a bit because of this. Even in terms of stats, his output appear a bit average. But dont be fooled or misled and pay close attention to him next time you see Bournemouth play, because there is a real player here.

In my opinion he is very similar to Bernardo Silva. He is tenacious, hard-working with great movement (both on and off the ball). He is not as good as Silva do keep hold of the ball, but even better in his passing and at producing the final pass. He is also a bigger goal threat. He usually use combination and link-up play to move forward, and this is reflected in his dribling numbers that is a bit low.

7 goals and 5 assist in his first PL-season is good too. Do not sound to impressive. It will probably be somewhere between 15 and 20 in total when the season is over. That is good at 21 in your debut season in the PL for an average team. And if you look further, I woyld argue its great;

- David Brooks played approx 2100 min out of 3100 min this year. 70 %.
- Bournemouth have scored 31 goals from open play. Brooks have been directly involved in 13 of these goals. Equalling 42 %. Playing just 70 % of the time.

He also have a relatively high xgbuildup90, for those who care for that. (Relative to orhers bmth-players). In other words, it is fair to assume that he has been directly (g+a) or indirectly involved in more than 50 % of Bournemouths goal from open play this season. Playing approx 70 % of the minutes.

He will move to a big club soon. If I were OGS, I would consider him.

ErranMorad

I really like him. Can be a good signing for us as a versatile attacking player in addition to a top RW. We should get him if he is available for somewhere around 30m.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I really like him. Can be a good signing for us as a versatile attacking player in addition to a top RW. We should get him if he is available for somewhere around 30m.
I would prefer a more classic RW too, but I think we will struggle to find someone better than Brooks.

Hawks2008

From what I've seen he is decent, not ready for a big team yet though. Interested to see how he develops.

ErranMorad

I would prefer a more classic RW too, but I think we will struggle to find someone better than Brooks.
If we can't get Sancho then he will be a good replacement for Mata. But don't expect our attack to go up a notch or two, like we'll want it to, with Brooks. We need to a game changer to that attack.

WelshManc

Was hoping we'd been linked when I saw this thread close to the top. Great player, love watching him run at defenders.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
If we can't get Sancho then he will be a good replacement for Mata. But don't expect our attack to go up a notch or two, like we'll want it to, with Brooks. We need to a game changer to that attack.
I agree and disagree. Brooks would improve it significantly, but we would still need a game changer. But I can’t see who that will be. Sancho would be perfect, but Dortmund will not sell him this summer.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Would probably be ideal. But I think the battle for talents will make someone move this summer. You snooze, you lose...
Perhaps. Personally
I'll be VERY surprised if a top 6 side went for him this summer. To me he is in the same bracket as Maddison. Brilliant first seasons. The question is are they the real deal or Michael Rickkets

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Perhaps. Personally
I'll be VERY surprised if a top 6 side went for him this summer. To me he is in the same bracket as Maddison. Brilliant first seasons. The question is are they the real deal or Michael Rickkets
Maybe you are right. We will see.

I think someone will go for him due to lack of options. Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs, maybe even Chelsea, could need a right winger. All teams minus City need a type of player like him. I would not be surprised if one team will try to move early if they believe in him to avoid "the battle".

Classical Mechanic

Perhaps. Personally
Statistically Maddison is much better.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/137015/Show/James-Maddison

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/295084/Show/David-Brooks

Maddison had created more chances than any other player in the Premier League and in Europe's top five leagues up until a few weeks ago (not sure where it is now). About half from open play and about half from set pieces. Granted that some of those set piece chances are going to be quarter chances at best but he's also joint 7th in 'big chances created'.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created

That said, I don't think going after Maddison would be a good idea for United at the moment so I'm not convinced that Brooks is someone we should be going after.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Statistically Maddison is much better.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/137015/Show/James-Maddison

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/295084/Show/David-Brooks

Maddison had created more chances than any other player in the Premier League and in Europe's top five leagues up until a few weeks ago (not sure where it is now). About half from open play and about half from set pieces. Granted that some of those set piece chances are going to be quarter chances at best but he's also joint 7th in 'big chances created'.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created

That said, I don't think going after Maddison would be a good idea for United at the moment so I'm not convinced that Brooks is someone we should be going after.
I know. I remember we discussed Maddison a year ago, and I still like him alot. But I think they are a bit difficult to compare in numbers. Its a bit like putting Bernardo Silvas (or even Iniesta) numbers up against Kevin de Bruynes.

Some players do not always look great in numbers.

Classical Mechanic

I know. I remember we discussed Maddison a year ago, and I still like him alot. But I think they are a bit difficult to compare in numbers. Its a bit like putting Bernardo Silvas (or even Iniesta) numbers up against Kevin de Bruynes.

Some players do not always look great in numbers.
That's a fair point. I think Brooks is more analogous to Lingard than Iniesta though. He has a lot of games where he's completely ineffective.

I guess he's 21 so has scope for improvement but I don't see him as someone we should be after.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Maybe you are right. We will see.

I think someone will go for him due to lack of options. Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs, maybe even Chelsea, could need a right winger. All teams minus City need a type of player like him. I would not be surprised if one team will try to move early if they believe in him to avoid "the battle".
Perhaps Arsenal. Chelsea spent a fortune on Pulisic. Plus will prioritize replacing Hazard whom I feel they will lose. Pool, City and Spurs don't need him

That leaves us. I wouldn't mind him at all to be honest. I just don't want him suffering a Scott Parker or SWP. That's why I'd rather wait another summer. So that not only would he have proved more than just a season wonder, he'd come as a bona fide sure first teamer

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think Brooks is more analogous to Lingard than Iniesta though. He has a lot of games where he's completely ineffective.
Heh, probably accurate considering Iniesta was one of the best players we have seen this decade. I was just making a point statistically. But if you are going to put him up against someone, please put him up against Bernardo Silva. :)

I also think Brooks will be one of those players that will look a lot better in a better team.

And I think Maddison and Brooks would be great together, cause they have different qualities, but also qualities that could have them link up well. If Maddison improves his work rate and smartness in defence he will be a lot more flexible and maybe even world class. Attacking wise he will just get better and better.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Decent player who's had a good season, don't think he's quite top 6 standard as yet but he's only 21 so could make the step up if he wants it enough.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Might seem a bit knee jerk after a great (deflection) goal with his weaker fot, but how did he look in general when he came on today?

I would love to see us sign him. We lack good options on the right and Brooks have the qualities we need/lack. He would also be a great option as a 10 if we played a diamond. Ideally, you could argue we should see him one more year in the Premier League, but considering;

A) Our situation on the right wing,
B) The competition for young british talents proven in the PL

We should move early.

I see Sporting fans in here arguing how Bruno Fernandes have to play in this exact position to be good. I have seen David Brooks be great as an 8, 10 and on the right wing, where he usually plays.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Personally would like to see both Brooks (mainly left footed) and Maddison (mainly right footed) sign for United, both work hard for the team, can create, and score goals, and are young enough to improve a lot, with McTominay in the centre, this could have the makings of a solid midfield unit, with the chance to improve individually, and collectively.

RooneyLegend

Personally would like to see both Brooks (mainly left footed) and Maddison (mainly right footed) sign for United, both work hard for the team, can create, and score goals, and are young enough to improve a lot, with McTominay in the centre, this could have the makings of a solid midfield unit, with the chance to improve individually, and collectively.
Both are not good enough at this point in their careers. There's no such thing as a bargain for English players so when you buy them they have to be exceptional players already.

jamesjimmybyrondean

How has be been doing. Would be a cheap back up rotational AM and RW if we are looking for one. Seems like an Old player too

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
How has be been doing. Would be a cheap back up rotational AM and RW if we are looking for one. Seems like an Old player too
Been injured the entire season. Came back after covid and been ok for a poor team from what I am told. Played RW og CM/AM in the two games.

Would be a perfect replacement for Mata, Lingard and Pereira.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Been injured the entire season. Came back after covid and been ok for a poor team from what I am told. Played RW og CM/AM in the two games.

Would be a perfect replacement for Mata, Lingard and Pereira.
Yeah I'm surprised we're not linked with him like we are with VdB and Grealish. He just ticks all boxes. Also a United fan if that counts

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Yeah I'm surprised we're not linked with him like we are with VdB and Grealish. He just ticks all boxes. Also a United fan if that counts
Not that weird considering he has been injured the entire season.

But yes, I’m a bigger fan of him than I am of more flashy players like Grealish and Maddison. Also seems like a player with great attitude.

Last edited:

NickSantigo

I seen him for Wales last summer iirc, felt he was a good player.
He's had a long injury layoff so I'd like to see him get back into the team for a couple of months.
He's certainly offer a lot more than we have on the right at the moment.
We have been shoehorning players into the RW position for years.
May end up being a shrewd alternative to Sancho

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
He’d be a smart signing- he could replace three players in one for us in Mata, Lingard and Pereira. If it doesn’t work out we sell him on for easy money. It’s a signing we should make but I doubt very much that we will.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He looked bright in his first game back after that terrible injury. As others have said, I’d take him ahead of Grealish as a squad option, fantastic talent.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He’d be a smart signing- he could replace three players in one for us in Mata, Lingard and Pereira. If it doesn’t work out we sell him on for easy money. It’s a signing we should make but I doubt very much that we will.
He would also be a very suitable option to B. Fernandes. Hard-working with high intensity, moves wide often to receive the ball (also when playing central) and play with high risk.