g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

David Brooks

Chief123

This would be one of the most absurd signings we could make if the reports of £30-40m are true.

For those arguing that it would give us squad depth, thats a completely flawed argument. He doesn't improve our first eleven which means he would be a bench player. You don't pay £40m to bring a player to sit on your bench. You aim for players who will get into your first eleven such as Sancho. If you get Sancho, he naturally benches one of our first eleven players. The one that drops out of the first XI would then become the one that strengthens our bench options. That's how you strengthen squad depth.

starman

Yes, the "experts" who take "MEN Sport understands" as gospel. Those "experts".
And what about if you just type into google "David Brooks 40m" and see it being mentioned many times Bournemouth are looking for 35-40m well before this link?

abailey123

Would be a very good squad option and a definite upgrade on what we have outside Bruno. 23, can play on the right of through the middle or deeper if necessary. And a localish lad from Warrington. Makes too much sense really doesn’t it?

Chief123

Would be a very good squad option and a definite upgrade on what we have outside Bruno. 23, can play on the right of through the middle or deeper if necessary. And a localish lad from Warrington. Makes too much sense really doesn’t it?
Makes no sense at all. In a covid climate, to spend £40m on a player to sit on the bench?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Big fan of Brooks, but he isnt a £40m player right now. I would be pretty content with us signing him for anything up to about £25m, he would be a solid option for RW/CAM.

GledTheRed

Sounds like a decent lad too.

In March 2019, Brooks signed a new long-term contract with the club, with manager Eddie Howe commenting that: "David has impressed everyone from the minute he stepped through the door, with his mature, creative performances on the pitch backed up by a good attitude and professional lifestyle off it. This contract means he can concentrate on developing his game with us, and it's been an excellent start to David's AFC Bournemouth career."

Chief123

I'm convinced 80 percent of the outraged experts calling him shit have never watched him play.
He isn't shit. He's a young player with potential who has had a serious injury. Anything over £20m at this moment in time is absurd though. Better options in Europe for 30-40m. City just signed Ferran Torres for £24m.

Mihai

And what about if you just type into google "David Brooks 40m" and see it being mentioned many times Bournemouth are looking for 40m well before this link?
Any reputable sources?

GledTheRed

He isn't shit. He's a young player with potential who has had a serious injury. Anything over £20m at this moment in time is absurd though. Better options in Europe for 30-40m. City just signed Ferran Torres for £24m.
Ferran Torres had 12 months left on his contract and made it clear he wasn't going to sign a new one.

Peter Freedom

Would be a good signing. Rather buy 3-4 players for 120m than one. Brooks is a solid player.

Giggsy13

I can foresee this being a £25 to £30 million fee with add ons taking it to £40 million. It’s not a bad move if it’s in addition to getting a top draw CB and CM. Pau Torres, van de Beek and Brooks would be a decent window, if we don’t get Sancho, and all can be obtained in the range of the Sancho fee.

POF

Maybe not but such is life.

I'm fairly sure that had Brooks not got a long term injury Bournemouth wouldn't have been relegated.

No harm signing players from relegated teams. We signed Keane from a relegated team. Went pretty well...
I completely agree with this. He was a huge loss for them this season and is by far their most creative player.

He'd be worth a punt as a Mata replacement, especially if they can force a bit of a bargain post relegation. Ake to City will probably scupper any hope of a cut price deal though.

starman

Any reputable sources?
Depends what a reputable source is too you, i am guessing the Bournemouth manager and chairman....

There's even a link to West ham and Sheffield United several weeks ago and the mentioned fee was 35m..

Chief123

Ferran Torres had 12 months left on his contract and made it clear he wasn't going to sign a new one.
It still doesn't justify bringing a substitute player in for £40m if thats what the price is. When was the last time anyone spent £40m on a player to add strength to the subs bench? He's clearly not a player who makes our first 11.

the chameleon

Would have been a good depth signing. But I would rather we prioritise on improving the first 11 rather than depth. We can use your for depth. Our issue has been signing too many squad level players. This isn’t going to move the needle. One big signing like Sancho will because it contributes to 10-15 more goals.

We need to be aiming for 80 points next year to call it progress. Otherwise we are stuck in that 60-70 point purgatory,

Chief123

I can foresee this being a £25 to £30 million fee with add ons taking it to £40 million. It’s not a bad move if it’s in addition to getting a top draw CB and CM. Pau Torres, van de Beek and Brooks would be a decent window, if we don’t get Sancho, and all can be obtained in the range of the Sancho fee.
What a terribly underwhelming transfer window that would be. Far from decent window. Btw, VDB isnt'likely to come to us according to most reports.

Mihai

Depends what a reputable source is too you, i am guessing the Bournemouth manager and chairman....

There's even a link to West ham and Sheffield United several weeks ago and the mentioned fee was 35m..
Link?

E-mal

Yeah, still don't want him.
For 40m pound, we could add a bit and get Aouor? So why get this guy?

Soler at Valencia will be a better value.

There are many options out there and added to the fact that Brooks has been out for a year, it can't be predicted how he comes back.
If we are hell bent on getting a relegated player, Buendia will be a better value for cheaper.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'd love it if we could get both Brooks and Grealish because they kind of match each other on both sides.

Brooks - RW, RAM, RCM
Grealish - LW, LAM, LCM

Ditch mata, lingard, james and pereira. Next season go for Sancho by which time Greenwood will be ready for the central position over a player like Ighalo.

CF - Martial, Greenwood, Rashford

Highly unlikely but still..

starman

People seem to be getting hell bent on what Bournemouth are reported to want compared to what we might be willing to pay.
Dortmund want 108m for Sancho and we are supposedly only winning to pay 60m -80m
Yet for some reason people have it in their mind Bournemouth demanding 40m we will just bend over, with no negotiations

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Yeah, still don't want him.
For 40m pound, we could add a bit and get Aouor? So why get this guy?

Soler at Valencia will be a better value.

There are many options out there and added to the fact that Brooks has been out for a year, it can't be predicted how he comes back.
If we are hell bent on getting a relegated player, Buendia will be a better value for cheaper.
Never heard of either of them (the first two), but it sounds a lot like "the grass is always greener" and the frankly silly notion that the exotic foreign player must be superior to the proven homegrown/domestic/PL-experienced one.

Santos J

It still doesn't justify bringing a substitute player in for £40m if thats what the price is. When was the last time anyone spent £40m on a player to add strength to the subs bench? He's clearly not a player who makes our first 11.
About 2 weeks ago, from the exact same club as Brooks.

R77

An updgrade on our current options, but you wonder if he's the sort of player that could come off the bench in a CL game and make a difference. Would still be in favour of it happening though, if the price were sensible. They don't all need to be big signings to improve our squad as it is.

Obvioulsy a bit of a gamble on the injury history and whether he can step up. Might pay well.

GledTheRed

Teams spend 40 million on squad players all the time, it's the going rate.

Brooks wouldn't be strictly a sub anyway, he'd play plenty of games.

Rolaholic

That's City though and the only club that can compete with them in terms of spending limitlessly is PSG :lol:

They just spent 40m on Ake and are about to spunk out another 70m+ on Koulibaly

Mihai

Oh sorry, I thought you meant that Bournemouth chairman and manager confirmed Brooks would cost 40 million. :D

I mean there's a difference between Stones, Romano, bbc and MEN, walesonline, readwestham etc. (the results of "david brooks 40 million" on google).

Woodenlung

A lot of people already seen to have forgotten that Bournemouth sold Aké to City for £40m a few weeks ago. They've set a benchmark for themselves and other relegated clubs.

Brooks would be a good signing for us if he can get back to the level he was a few seasons ago. He performed well in an average side

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
These are the sort of signings that we should be making. I'd add Regulon, VDB, Gabriel and Badiashile. Low fee, great potential, right age and superb mentality.

OrcaFat

This would be one of the most absurd signings we could make if the reports of £30-40m are true.

For those arguing that it would give us squad depth, thats a completely flawed argument. He doesn't improve our first eleven which means he would be a bench player. You don't pay £40m to bring a player to sit on your bench. You aim for players who will get into your first eleven such as Sancho. If you get Sancho, he naturally benches one of our first eleven players. The one that drops out of the first XI would then become the one that strengthens our bench options. That's how you strengthen squad depth.
Yes. I prefer not to sign a single player who won’t expect to be in our first 11.

However, I haven’t seen enough of Brooks so not sure if he would really expect to start or not. From this thread he does not sound good enough. He may be an upgrade on our second string but we’ve got to set the bar a bit higher than that.

Chief123

You mean the same club that spent £50m on Mendy and £50m on John Stones. £100m money well spent. Great example mate. Let’s do the same.

marktan

He's a good player, and I think he has room to improve. He's a lot better than the likes of Dan James and Lingard. But I don't think he'll have the same improvement that say Mane or Salah had after their moves to Liverpool.

For 40m I'd prefer Saint Maximin, but with Brooks at least you do get a left footer.