David Brooks

Chief123

Incredible how fans sudden
People get confused of what squad depth is. It's about competing and making the first 11 better and having good options. Brooks doesn't challenge our first 11. It's another average player to join the bench. I hope it's Bournemouth banging up interest. The rest in the top 6 wouldn't consider this option. Be an awful signing and club should be hammered if it goes through.
Exactly. Creating squad depth is by buying a player who goes into your starting eleven and pushes one of the current starting eleven onto the bench by which that benched player creates the depth. We would be stupid to spend £40m on a player who wouldn't get in our best eleven when we need improvements to the starting lineup.

E-mal

Dan James was 21 years old and cost 15 million. Well worth the punt at the time at that price.

Brooks rumours will sum up a lot of United fans that post on this forum. It’ll be shit on by plenty of people that instantly read a headline, see he plays for Bournemouth and automatically claim he’s bang average despite hardly ever watching him play.
It's disrespectful to suggest that those that say he isn't good enough have not watched him play.

You know you're not the only arbiter of football knowledge right?

Chief123

If you don't watch him play then of course there will be no evidence. For people who have seen him play they can see pretty clearly that he is a very good talent and an IMMEDIATE upgrade on squad options.
Immediate upgrade to squad options, yes. For £40m, no thanks. Pointless price point for a "squad options" player.

Morpheus 7

I agree that it’s likely Bournemouth drumming up interest. Liverpool have been linked in the past and Spurs have also been linked recently. All while saying they want something like 35 million - which I can’t see anyone paying.

I can definitely see Spurs being interested but not at anywhere near that price.
Yeah agree, the fee being quoted seems excessive at this time for a relegated player from Bournemouth. I could understand Ake a bit more because it's tough to get a quality CB.

macheda14

Exactly. Creating squad depth is by buying a player who goes into your starting eleven and pushes one of the current starting eleven onto the bench by which that benched player creates the depth. We would be stupid to spend £40m on a player who wouldn't get in our best eleven when we need improvements to the starting lineup.
That’s just not true all of the time. By your rationale the only way for us to ensure we have cover for the CAM position is to buy someone better than Bruno.

RedRover

Well based on their opinion we got Dalot, a player that's really not that good.

We got AWB, another player that in European market is not even worth half the price we paid for him and we also got Maguire another one who is not worth up to what we paid for.

Is not that their opinion is not flawed.
Fans on this forum moaned when we wanted to sign Fellaini, Lukaku, AwB and Maguire, stating all their deficiencies but hey, what do we know.
I don't understand your point. If you think the clubs scouting is hopeless then I assume that applies to any and every player we bring in.

Last edited:

E-mal

I know many won't agree but feel that both Jack & Jadon don't fall into this Brexit FC thing, however know there will be others that think Grealish does well belong in it as well and they are very much entitled to their opinion on that
Jack and Jadon are quality players that will improve anyside, the problem is the quoted price.
I don't consider them that.
If Dan James and Brooks are not British, no body will be talking about bringing them into the club.

There are many players with superior ability across Europe we could get for cheap.

croadyman

Jack and Jadon are quality players that will improve anyside, the problem is the quoted price.
I don't consider them that.
If Dan James and Brooks are not British, no body will be talking about bringing them into the club.

There are many players with superior ability across Europe we could get for cheap.
There is no doubt we do need to look further across Europe because you only need to look at Bruno for the benefit of that

RedRover

@RedRover we need a right winger of real quality to come in. We haven't had one properly in years. Jadon Sancho is 3 years younger and the best about. Wtf is your point about the scouts watching Brooks. I don't need a scout at the club to tell me that Brooks is a massive downgrade, I've seen him play. He's okay, nothing more. Okay isn't challenging for trophies. Shape of this place this evening seriously.
If you read my post above I said "he's not a nailed on starter". I'm not suggesting we buy him instead of Sancho (although I think that is highly unlikely to happen anyway).

We need more depth in attacking positions because beyond Rashford, Martial and Greenwood, in my opinion we're lacking. We need a top right winger and in my view at least one more who can play wide or perhaps a little deeper. I've seen a bit of him, he looks decent and with potential to get better. I think he's a better option than what we have and accept we're not going to go out and spend mega bucks on someone to sit on the bench. As a young, British lad he might well fit in with the dynamic because he's going to be sat behind some good young players (if indeed this is even viable). Also, if he doesn't stick then he'll likely raise a decent fee when he's sold on, which to me is another plus.

I also think we need a left back, a midfielder and ideally a centre back as well, but there you go.

gorky_utd

Chelsea bought ziyech for 36 mil. No way a squad player like brooks should be 40mil. In that case, I would prefer to buy cheap option and strengthen other positions. Surely, the scouting team can find an alternative to brooks for much cheaper?

croadyman

Chelsea bought ziyech for 36 mil. No way a squad player like brooks should be 40mil. In that case, I would prefer to buy cheap option and strengthen other positions. Surely, the scouting team can find an alternative to brooks for much cheaper?
You would hope so but don't count on it

VanGaalEra

I’m all for this signing, he’d a fantastic squad option and makes sense.

Which means it won’t happen.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
£40m doesn't seem like even a remotely good price. They've just been relegated and he's missed pretty much a year due to injury. I wouldn't like us going anywhere above £20m-£25m.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
£40m doesn't seem like even a remotely good price. They've just been relegated and he's missed pretty much a year due to injury. I wouldn't like us going anywhere above £20m-£25m.
You know he'd have to pass a medical/fitness tests etc? There's no way we're paying that if he isn't 100% fit.

AltiUn

You know he'd have to pass a medical/fitness tests etc? There's no way we're paying that if he isn't 100% fit.
I'm more concerned about the year of missed development than the fitness test.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No chance. He's too young for Jose. Doesn't track back enough.
I think you’ll still see us sign a couple youngsters because that’s what we do. Whether Jose plays them is another matter.

I think Levy and Jose both know this is a marriage of convenience. I think we’re hoping Jose brings us a trophy but we all expect him to be gone in 2 years (or less). I think the club will continue to try and build its future knowing full well Jose won’t be a part of it.

Revan

Assumptionman
I hope there isn't much truth here. We need absolute quality, not ok players. If we sign ok players, then those should be cheap signings, not 30-40m.

Chiesa would actually cost maybe that much, and that would actually be a good depth signing.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Dan James was 21 years old and cost 15 million. Well worth the punt at the time at that price.

Brooks rumours will sum up a lot of United fans that post on this forum. It’ll be shit on by plenty of people that instantly read a headline, see he plays for Bournemouth and automatically claim he’s bang average despite hardly ever watching him play.

He wasn't worth a punt as hes a championship quality player at best thats why no other team was in for him apart from leeds.

As for Brooks People are saying he's bought for depth. We don't need more average players clogging up our squad, especially fkr the rumoured price which is daylight robbery.

We're at the point now where we need quality to take us up to being challengers not more average squad players there to make up numbers.

AltiUn

Shaw did, RVN. With the advances in sports medicine I'm not concerned, his running looked ok last month
Perhaps, but Shaw's also taken years to get back to his best, so I still remain concerned.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

You mean like buying Shaqiri or Minamino? Fabinho/Ox/Keita were all bought to be starters? Angelinho? Torres?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Don't even know this guy and he is (was) a PL player.

I've really stopped paying attention to other team's players.

Gandalf

Highly doubt we are in for him, the media links us to every fecker they can think of during the transfer windows and 99% of them are not even on our radar. This came from one questionable source and the subsequent links are just other rags sharing the same story because they are desperate not to be scooped. Sancho is still on and we know full well that we don't sign multiple players so until Ed starts briefing that Sancho is not happening I can't see us signing anyone else.

JP77

It's disrespectful to suggest that those that say he isn't good enough have not watched him play.

You know you're not the only arbiter of football knowledge right?
You’ve just made two things up mate. At no point have I said anybody that has said he isn’t good enough haven’t watched him play. I’m talking about a good chunk of United fans who for some strange reason love to hate on everything and anything United do. At no point have I said all fans.

Secondly I haven’t even given my opinion on Brooks and you won’t find a single post on these forums from me acting like I have more knowledge than other United fans.

JP77

He wasn't worth a punt as hes a championship quality player at best thats why no other team was in for him apart from leeds.

As for Brooks People are saying he's bought for depth. We don't need more average players clogging up our squad, especially fkr the rumoured price which is daylight robbery.

We're at the point now where we need quality to take us up to being challengers not more average squad players there to make up numbers.
At 15 million he was without a doubt worth the punt. It’s easy to sit and say it wasn’t now because he hasn’t been outstanding for us but at the time in today’s day and age of transfer 15 million for a promising 21 year old winger was very good business with close to no risk. James could have been a huge flop and at that price it wouldn’t have cost us massively.

I’ll leave it at that rather than derail a thread about a different player.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
People are saying he isn’t good enough to start for us but we could develop him to being good enough, Liverpool bought Robertson from hull and no one expected him to become one of the best full backs in the league.

Chief123

You mean like buying Shaqiri or Minamino? Fabinho/Ox/Keita were all bought to be starters? Angelinho? Torres?
What a shocking response. Which of these superstars cost £40m and were brought in to just add "squad depth"? Fabinho and Keita were both purchased to play in the first eleven. Fabinho has cemented that. Keita has been a flop so far.

Giggsyking

spending 40m in the covid times on a player going directly to the bench sound stupid, so yes i think its true.

ivaldo

What a shocking response. Which of these superstars cost £40m and were brought in to just add "squad depth"? Fabinho and Keita were both purchased to play in the first eleven. Fabinho has cemented that. Keita has been a flop so far.
Must've missed the 40m part in the original post. Keep adding those caveats and eventually it'll make sense. We'll also take that fee as gospel as well just to help in our outrage, hey?

So Ox, Keita, Fabinho and Henderson in the starting XI. Sounds brilliant! It's so ridiculous I can't believe you're genuinely doubling down on it. Minamino a starter too? Shaqiri? You think Torres is going to start?

starman

:lol: It's funny reading people's obsession with the 40m price tag. Just because that is the fee being touted about doesn't mean he will cost that much. Dortmund want 108m for Sancho and we want to pay 60-80m, why dafuq would we be bending over for the mighty Bournemouth :houllier:

ivaldo

:lol: It's funny reading people's obsession with the 40m price tag. Just because that is the fee being touted about doesn't mean he will cost that much. Dortmund want 108m and we want to pay 60-80m, why dafuq would we be bending over for the mighty Bournemouth :houllier:
Exactly. :lol: Isn't it weird how so many take it as gospel whenever it's negative.

Gandalf

The 40m seems to have been pulled out of thin air and probably relates to the fact that Ake went for that price. He may have potential but Brooks is nowhere near as valuable an asset as Ake who had genuine interest from a number of PL sides and is an established and experienced defender widely regarded as the best player at Bournemouth.

Chief123

Must've missed the 40m part in the original post. Keep adding those caveats and eventually it'll make sense. We'll also take that fee as gospel as well just to help in our outrage, hey?

So Ox, Keita, Fabinho and Henderson in the starting XI. Sounds brilliant! It's so ridiculous I can't believe you're genuinely doubling down on it. Minamino a starter too? Shaqiri? You think Torres is going to start?
Just to help your inability to read the post properly as through your self-admission, you must have "missed the 40m part in the original post". Here it is for your convenience.

We would be stupid to spend £40m on a player who wouldn't get in our best eleven when we need improvements to the starting lineup.
Now you want to forget the fact that the fee is reported to be £40m for Brooks as that wouldn't help your argument right? My point still stands, you don't spend £40m on a player to be a substitute. He's clearly not getting into our best eleven. None of the players you mentioned cost £40m and were brought in to be a sub. Stop being an idiot and read properly next time.