David de Gea | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam118

If he does get dropped this weekend it will be a sign that the media is getting to de Gea. I generally don't know what he de Gea has to do to get them off his back. He has been match saver for us many times this season and last, and his game has come on massively.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
If we are going to drop him just because the media have been cnuts with him we might as well sell him. He's made two mistakes this season and neither of them are clear cut mistakes when you compare it to the mistakes of last season, He has repeatedly made some incredible saves (The save against Silva comes to mind) and without him you could probably add another 10 goals to our against column.

I hope and pray Fergie backs him publicly and tells the media to feck off with their agenda.

Unam333

If he does get dropped this weekend it will be a sign that the media is getting to de Gea. I generally don't know what he de Gea has to do to get them off his back. He has been match saver for us many times this season and last, and his game has come on massively.
I think De Gea looks more consistent compared to last season and has improved his abilities, but don't feel he's a match saver for us. In fact, in the last couple of games he has less saves to make.

Shark

@NotShark
I think De Gea looks more consistent compared to last season and has improved his abilities, but don't feel he's a match saver for us. In fact, in the last couple of games he has less saves to make.
You're joking right?

He was a match saver for us many times last season. More times than he has been this season so far, anyway.

Chelsea away, Liverpool away and Blackburn away all come to mind from last season. There were a good few more too.

Slevs

likes to play with penises

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
It's nothing more than a load of shit, the media have nothing better to do then slate a young keeper playing at the biggest club in England, he's made a few mistakes and suddenly he's going to be shown the door.

He's a fantastic goalkeeper, and it's so encouraging to see him develop with every game, seeing him assert more dominance in situations that he would normally shy away from.

kietotheworld

He has to stop making mistakes for an extended period, keep more clean sheets, secure and maintain a place in the first XI and continue to improve aerially. If he does those things then I assure you the media will get off his back.

Varun

Staff
No keeper in the world would keep clean sheets with the way our defenders have defended this season.

He hasnt made many mistakes and has shown considerable improvement for a while now.

stand_free

Yeah lets pay £20million for a 20 year old keeper and punt him after 18 months for someone who was known in Serie A for being dodgy.

Or better still, replace him with Asmir Begovic!

Hellboy

You're joking right?

He was a match saver for us many times last season. More times than he has been this season so far, anyway.

Chelsea away, Liverpool away and Blackburn away all come to mind from last season. There were a good few more too.
Norwich away.

kietotheworld

Perfect is going a bit far, but you do have to be pretty close to it as a Manchester United goalkeeper to avoid media criticism.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Kie isn't even saying that. I think Kie expects DDG to put on about 500lbs of weight and then lose it, so he can stretch all the excess skin across his goalmouth and thus prevent anyone from scoring.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I still don't get what KttW wants.

He's not impressed with De Gea & wants him to improve? We all want him to improve but the vast majority of United fans seem to be impressed by him so far.
He's want's rid of De Gea & Xxxxx to replace him (although he's yet to declare exactly who Xxxx is).

Can you just clearly state your case here, because all you seem to be doing is bashing one of our players without offering any solutions.

kietotheworld

Do you have a problem with me giving a less than gushing opinion of a player without wanting him replaced? I said Rooney was extremely shit against Swansea, that didn't mean I wanted him to be sold or dropped.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Do you have a problem with me giving a less than gushing opinion of a player without wanting him replaced? I said Rooney was extremely shit against Swansea, that didn't mean I wanted him to be sold or dropped.
I'm pretty sure you've said repeatedly in this thread he's not United quality & we should get someone who is.

Unam333

You're joking right?

What I meant is, even though he's more consistent, he hasn't been a match saver for us this season.

Shark

@NotShark
What I meant is, even though he's more consistent, he hasn't been a match saver for us this season.
Oh ok, fair enough then.

He hasn't made as many crucial stops this season yet, but I'm sure that there's still a lot more to come from him this season.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I think the biggest compliment we can give de Gea this season is that he hasn't been making the headlines. van der Saar was never the headline much either... (Except in Moscow :keano:)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
One rumour that's been bubbling in Spain, has now progressed onto football gossip TV. Valdes supposedly does not want to renew his contract which may mean he'll be leaving Barca sooner rather than later.

I do wonder if it's that rumour and the Casillas issue at Madrid that's feeding the speculation about keepers and the transfer market. Maybe someone's expecting a game of musical chairs at the end of the season.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
He has to stop making mistakes for an extended period, keep more clean sheets, secure and maintain a place in the first XI and continue to improve aerially. If he does those things then I assure you the media will get off his back.
How many mistakes has he made again? Go on, say it again word for word.

As far as I am concerned he has improved significantly in the air, the media will never get off his back. (But wait? YOU said there was no agenda.. LOL) Every keeper is only as good as his last game. If there is any hint that a goal may have been his fault the media will be all over it. It's what they do.

Unless you're Joe Hart and there is an embargo on critisism due to him staying sane going into international matches for England.

kietotheworld

How many mistakes has he made again? Go on, say it again word for word.

As far as I am concerned he has improved significantly in the air, the media will never get off his back. (But wait? YOU said there was no agenda.. LOL) Every keeper is only as good as his last game. If there is any hint that a goal may have been his fault the media will be all over it. It's what they do.

Unless you're Joe Hart and there is an embargo on critisism due to him staying sane going into international matches for England.
A few, it seems it's debatable how many exactly.

I agree that he's improved in the air, that's why I said "continue to", genius.

The question was asked what he needs to do to get the media off his back, if he does what I said in my post, the media will have no ammunition to go after him with.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
One rumour that's been bubbling in Spain, has now progressed onto football gossip TV. Valdes supposedly does not want to renew his contract which may mean he'll be leaving Barca sooner rather than later.
Any indication why? Given that Valdes is generally not too highly rated compared to the club he plays for, then where does he expect to go? I assume it's just a money issue?

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
They'll make some up. Like they have done saying he could be leaving.

They have continued to make up complete bullshit since he's signed. Granted some of it loosely on the mark and somewhat credible. But he's certainly not doing much to warrant being continually called 'dodgy' etc these days.

You just have to get over the fact that the media will continue to do it regardless. There is a genuine media agenda toward him because he is goalkeeping for Manchester United.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen

They have continued to make up complete bullshit since he's signed. Granted some of it loosely on the mark and somewhat credible. But he's certainly not doing much to warrant being continually called 'dodgy' etc these days.

You just have to get over the fact that the media will continue to do it regardless. There is a genuine media agenda toward him because he is goalkeeping for Manchester United.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
I've just watched the van Persie goal (v West ham) again. It was a lovely shot, but in truth the ball skidded along the turf no more than a foot, and maybe only 6 inches, to the right of the foot of Jaskeleinen (not bothering with spell check right now). I've seen De Gea make the saves on nearly identical shots. Yet all we hear about are his alleged mistakes and never the saves that keepers like Reina, Friedl and Jaskeleinen -- perfectly reputable keepers -- are incapable of making.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Okay, I'm going over the day's highlights right now and have stumbled across the mistakes by Ivanovic.

Different positions, of course, but has De Gea ever committed a mistake anywhere close to the universe of Ivanovic today? Maybe the Blackburn mistake, but even then you argue he was in heavy traffic. Ivanovic made TWO bonehead mistakes under no pressure at all. Both led to goals, goals which decided the outcome of the game.

Why does De Gea have to take all the abuse and Ivanovic, who also plays for a big club, does not? Why are there no "news reports" of a transfer to see him off?

Ekeke

We're just being linked with a foreign keeper because all the recent ones the press have linked us with in the premier league have been making the same mistakes they've villified De Gea for. Muslera isnt good enough and theres no problem with De Gea. Good stuff

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
We're just being linked with a foreign keeper because all the recent ones the press have linked us with in the premier league have been making the same mistakes they've villified De Gea for. Muslera isnt good enough and theres no problem with De Gea. Good stuff
I just put it down to us wanting a backup in mind if and when Lindegaard decides benchwarming isnt his thing, not for De Geas potential move

kietotheworld

Why will they make things up if he's doing well? How did van der Sar escape this media conspiracy even when he was making mistakes?

Okay, I'm going over the day's highlights right now and have stumbled across the mistakes by Ivanovic.

Different positions, of course, but has De Gea ever committed a mistake anywhere close to the universe of Ivanovic today? Maybe the Blackburn mistake, but even then you argue he was in heavy traffic. Ivanovic made TWO bonehead mistakes under no pressure at all. Both led to goals, goals which decided the outcome of the game.

Why does De Gea have to take all the abuse and Ivanovic, who also plays for a big club, does not? Why are there no "news reports" of a transfer to see him off?
Because Ivanovic has already proven himself over an extended period of time. We know this is just a blip for him.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Why will they make things up if he's doing well? How did van der Sar escape this media conspiracy even when he was making mistakes?

Because Ivanovic has already proven himself over an extended period of time. We know this is just a blip for him.
Well, de Gea has been here for a year and a half, so this extended period of time thing you keep banging on about, he hasn't even been at United for an extended period of time. Unless you make up a random time span just to cover your tracks. It's obvious he is improving, yet you seem more interested in slating the kid rather than looking at the positives. Ivanovic has proved himself, because he's been at Chelsea for over 5 years and is a mainstay in the team. De Gea had a career before United, where he was known as one of, if not the best young keeper in Europe. Why do you think so many goalkeepers current and past think the same? Give him a few more years before you try write him off completely and put every goal we concede down to some non existent error you see in your head.

finneh

Well, de Gea has been here for a year and a half, so this extended period of time thing you keep banging on about, he hasn't even been at United for an extended period of time. Unless you make up a random time span just to cover your tracks. It's obvious he is improving, yet you seem more interested in slating the kid rather than looking at the positives. Ivanovic has proved himself, because he's been at Chelsea for over 5 years and is a mainstay in the team. De Gea had a career before United, where he was known as one of, if not the best young keeper in Europe. Why do you think so many goalkeepers current and past think the same? Give him a few more years before you try write him off completely and put every goal we concede down to some non existent error you see in your head.
If De Gea had barely made any mistakes he would never have gotten the reputation. Now that he has the reputation it will take a top class season to shake the tag. He is improving, but is still leaving himself open to criticism every so often, criticism that will sell papers. It took a fair few years for Vidic to be recognised as the defender he was, despite only a dodgy coupld of months.

I don't see anywhere where Kie has written him off. It's the same in the Welbeck thread though, you say anything apart from gushing praise about a talented young player and you get shot down as if you're suggesting he is useless and should never be seen in a United shirt again

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
If De Gea had barely made any mistakes he would never have gotten the reputation. Now that he has the reputation it will take a top class season to shake the tag. He is improving, but is still leaving himself open to criticism every so often, criticism that will sell papers. It took a fair few years for Vidic to be recognised as the defender he was, despite only a dodgy coupld of months.

I don't see anywhere where Kie has written him off. It's the same in the Welbeck thread though, you say anything apart from gushing praise about a talented young player and you get shot down as if you're suggesting he is useless and should never be seen in a United shirt again
So this "3 or 4" mistakes in so many games is not good enough for a United keeper, is not writing a player off? He comes in here after every game bringing up the same stuff, then some. He claims de Gea parries the ball into danger too much and has the cheek to use City's first goal as an example of this. It's beyond ridiculous at times.

I certainly don't think de Gea is perfect, but looking for things that aren't even there is too much. The media were on his back from day 1, and that much is obvious. Look at David Luiz, he was getting gushing praise at the start of his Chelsea career because he scored a couple of goals and could play a bit, yet despite that he was a calamitous disaster in his supposed position on the football pitch. De Gea got the reputation after 1 competitive game, then they started to bring up this shots from the outside of the box thing from his time at Atlético. Regardless of how he played, the reputation stuck with him from his first match.

Status
Not open for further replies.