David de Gea | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
22 years old. We've potentially got a top keeper for the next 15 years!

What are the odds that he'll end up in the top 5 all time appearances for United? He's a cert provided we see off the inevitable interest from Real and Barca at some point.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I really hope we keep hold of him. There's never been any doubt of his ability in my mind. I'm confident with him in goal.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I hope we reward him with a new contract like we have done in the past with Smalling and Hernandez.

Brightonian

22 years old. We've potentially got a top keeper for the next 15 years!

What are the odds that he'll end up in the top 5 all time appearances for United? He's a cert provided we see off the inevitable interest from Real and Barca at some point.
Although if referees keep letting opposing teams get away with assaulting him because they've subconsciously bought the shite in the media about him not being able to 'hack it' in a penalty-box tussle, he may not survive that long.

Platato

Psst!
I think there was a little doubt. This is a physically demanding league and it's hard enough for experienced keepers to adjust let alone one of de Gea's age and build. We were definitely taking a risk buying de Gea but he's proved us right the whole way through. It is sometimes hard to know how a player will handle certain challenges until they face them. Thankfully, de Gea has come through each one and become a better keeper for it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not really. I think Fergie liked to make Lindegaard think he was getting a chance but he knew it was always going to be de Gea.
Or he was pushing De Gea to improve his game.

It made little sense for me at the time, but probably it was the right decision to make De Gea fight for the No.1 spot - instead of just getting it - regardless that he was superior to Lindegaard.

And to be fair, I don't think that SAF cares that much about Lindegaard, he was signed for a backup, and expect in very rare circumstances, backup keepers don't have that much importance. I really don't care if Linde is here next season or not.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
To keep him here, we've got to challenge for it all.

If Barcelona and Real are in need of a keeper, but look more likely to go all the way in Europe and such it'll be difficult keeping him forever.

But it'd be great to have him about for the rest of his career. Every week he seems to do something to put a grin on your face, from ridiculous saves with his spider-like legs or pushing Kevin Nolan even though he clearly wants to punch him.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Gary Neville hails him as the best goalkeeper in the league

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He has had 9 clean sheets in the last 14 games. His confidence just grows every day and I think he might not want the season to end since he has been brilliant this year.

Cina

Great to see that from Neville, and he's spot on too. He'll be the best in the world in a few years.

Platato

Psst!
Chuffed to bits for David. Shut up his critics and won a PL trophy. Doesn't get better than that.

johnmufc

I'm so frightened that he will join Barcelona sooner or later. Absolutely incredible player. People used to compare him with Szczęsny. :lol:

RDCR07

I hope Barcelona get ter Stergen and leave De Gea alone. Madrid have quite a way before Casillas is done so I am not too worried about them for the time being.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Gary Neville hails him as the best goalkeeper in the league
Gary has always been a fair pundit. He tells it like it is.

Some people were having a go at Neville for having the temerity to criticize De Gea earlier in the season. But honestly I felt at the time he deserved some of the criticism.

Now he deserves the plaudits he is getting and Neville is rightly singing his praises.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Probably a more significant piece of silverware for DDG than for anyone else in the squad. To clinch the title as our undisputed number one, in outstanding form, with Fergie's unequivocal endorsement ringing in his ears, a week on from that battle at Upton Park....sky's the limit for him now.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
It's funny, but I don't remember ever doubting that he would come through. Possibly didn't think it would happen so quickly but I knew he would be a winner.

Now, I must have a look for all posts contradicting that and delete them!

Cina

Probably a more significant piece of silverware for DDG than for anyone else in the squad. To clinch the title as our undisputed number one, in outstanding form, with Fergie's unequivocal endorsement ringing in his ears, a week on from that battle at Upton Park....sky's the limit for him now.
RvP says otherwise.

Andrew~

I hope Barcelona get ter Stergen and leave De Gea alone. Madrid have quite a way before Casillas is done so I am not too worried about them for the time being.
I wouldn't be worried at all. Top goalkeepers at top clubs are incredibly difficult to dislodge, and it would require probably more money than it would require to move Ronaldo if a club wanted to get De Gea. Look at Juve, they managed to hold on to Buffon regardless of being in the lower rungs of Italian football.

Revan

Assumptionman
I wouldn't be worried at all. Top goalkeepers at top clubs are incredibly difficult to dislodge, and it would require probably more money than it would require to move Ronaldo if a club wanted to get De Gea. Look at Juve, they managed to hold on to Buffon regardless of being in the lower rungs of Italian football.
Err, Buffon loves Juve and together with Nedved, Del Piero and Camoranesi was certain that they will stay there when they fall in Serie B.

Andrew~

Err, Buffon loves Juve and together with Nedved, Del Piero and Camoranesi was certain that they will stay there when they fall in Serie B.
Ha. I'm sure that's all true, but how does that detract from my point?

RDCR07

It detracts due to the fact he wouldnt leave Juventus no matter what, no matter who came in. Those were the players who were really loyal to their club.

RDCR07

Are you really saying its going to take more money to get De Gea than it took to get Ronaldo?

Andrew~

It detracts due to the fact he wouldnt leave Juventus no matter what, no matter who came in. Those were the players who were really loyal to their club.
There are many players in the world who are extremely loyal to their clubs and still move. There's no such thing as a player who won't move 'no matter who came in' - it just depends on whether the offer(s) they are getting is good for them or not.

Are you really saying its going to take more money to get De Gea than it took to get Ronaldo?
Maybe. As I said, there is a reason why it basically never happens that goalkeepers playing at big clubs move. Back before we got Van De Sar, the prices being quoted for players like Buffon were very close to the then world record transfer fee, so it wouldn't be surprising.

Goalkeepers are so valuable to clubs that you would have to pay a prohibitive fee to even tempt United to discuss a transfer for one of De Gea's quality. Whether that's up there with the Ronaldo fee, I don't know for sure, but I think it's possible.

RDCR07

There are many players in the world who are extremely loyal to their clubs and still move. There's no such thing as a player who won't move 'no matter who came in' - it just depends on whether the offer(s) they are getting is good for them or not.

Maybe. As I said, there is a reason why it basically never happens that goalkeepers playing at big clubs move. Back before we got Van De Sar, the prices being quoted for players like Buffon were very close to the then world record transfer fee, so it wouldn't be surprising.

Goalkeepers are so valuable to clubs that you would have to pay a prohibitive fee to even tempt United to discuss a transfer for one of De Gea's quality. Whether that's up there with the Ronaldo fee, I don't know for sure, but I think it's possible.
Do you honestly think no one tried to sign those Juventus players when they went down? And what did Buffon go for? £20m? I still dont think it was close to the world record fee.

You also have to face the fact that De Gea might himself want to move back home. In that case, you cant really demand a huge fee since his destinations are limited. GK's are valuable but doesnt mean they are going to go for £50-60m. That is just crazy. No GK will go for that value.

Andrew~

Do you honestly think no one tried to sign those Juventus players when they went down? And what did Buffon go for? £20m? I still dont think it was close to the world record fee.

You also have to face the fact that De Gea might himself want to move back home. In that case, you cant really demand a huge fee since his destinations are limited. GK's are valuable but doesnt mean they are going to go for £50-60m. That is just crazy. No GK will go for that value.
Yes, Buffon moved from Parma to Juve at 23 for a world record fee for a goalkeeper, and that is extremely young. Same with De Gea, he moved at 20 for £19 million. And both were moving from relatively small clubs to big clubs. Goalkeepers with this level of talent are extremely expensive, even when they are still young and raw.

I also think all this 'going back home' nonsense is stupidly overstated. There aren't many footballers who are getting homesick and moving back to their country because they miss their mum or something: Fabregas - moved because Arsenal are shit and Barca are a great team; Balloteli never settled at City because he's a nutjob and there were better players. Two examples, and I can't even think of one single player who left a big English club to move back to their country because 'they wanted to go home'. It's retarded to even think footballers are that stupid.

The only examples of a world class goalkeeper moving from a big club I can think of are Van De Sar and Julio Cesar (if you consider him to be world class) - the former was dislodged by an even better player (Buffon) and the latter had suffered thanks to injuries.

To bring the point home; imagine a club like Barca coming in and trying to negotiate for the purchase of Lloris from Tottenham - they would get absolutely bled dry before they signed him. And Spurs aren't exactly the level of club I'm talking about here.

Andrew~

Did you forget about pique moving back?
Pique only moved because he couldn't get first team football here, and was offered it in Barca. The fact that it was his home was a happy coincidence as far as he was concerned. Pique would have happily stayed here if he didn't have to compete with two of the best defensive players in the world at the time for a position.

LR7

Pique only moved because he couldn't get first team football here, and was offered it in Barca. The fact that it was his home was a happy coincidence as far as he was concerned. Pique would have happily stayed here if he didn't have to compete with two of the best defensive players in the world at the time for a position.
Piqué said himself just a week or two ago he knew when he came that he would always want to go back to Barcelona.

Not that that proves what De Gea will do mind. He's said he's happy and settled here. I just hope it stays that way and he's successful with us here for years. These things are hard to guess, there are examples on both sides.

redpie

He will go back to Spain at some point and probably earlier than we would like. But when that day comes the same muppet journos and pundits who said he was the next Taibi or we could not win anything with him will be telling us he is the best goalie in the World.

RDCR07

Did you not read what he has said in interviews? Didnt he say he did not tell Fergie he could play a certain position? He never felt at home here and said he wanted had plans to return to Barca.

ricky-romeo

i'm sure he will one day rejoin atletico, just hoping he would be something like 35 or 36 at least by then. spanish players would eventually end up back in spain like fabregas and pique for easy examples, but there are others who has been away for quite some time as well, such as torres and reina.

Status
Not open for further replies.