David de Gea | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Best keeper in the world, delighted for him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
50-60m sounds ridiculous price-tag now. But in 5 yrs time or so, it won't be that shocking. Bayern just bought a 20 y.o. Gotze for 38m. Lucas Moura was bought for 40m. They aren't Gk, but that just show how crazy the football inflation is.

And a player isn't just related to how good he is, or how important he is to the team play. There are factors, like sponsors, club global value, player's reputation, nationality, etc. That's how Liverpool got Suarez (2 times Ajax player of the year) so cheap.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
And a player isn't just related to how good he is, or how important he is to the team play. There are factors, like sponsors, club global value, player's reputation, nationality, etc. That's how Liverpool got Suarez (2 times Ajax player of the year) so cheap.
£23 million is cheap? And if I remember correctly, Suarez was sold off of the back of the season where he bit the PSV player Bakkal and the Ajax fans wanted him sold.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wiki has him at 1.86 M or 6'1"
Well, there you go. Wiki has De Gea at 1.91m (6'3") which would fit, exactly, with the difference in heights when they were walking alongside each other on the pitch on Tuesday night.

So either wiki is wrong about both their heights or De Gea really is 6' 3" and the consensus on here that he was nowhere near that height because of a few random photos where he looked the same height as Phil Jones is/was completely wrong.

finneh

Well, there you go. Wiki has De Gea at 1.91m (6'3") which would fit, exactly, with the difference in heights when they were walking alongside each other on the pitch on Tuesday night.

So either wiki is wrong about both their heights or De Gea really is 6' 3" and the consensus on here that he was nowhere near that height because of a few random photos where he looked the same height as Phil Jones is/was completely wrong.

I'd say he's closer to Rafael/Evra's height (about 5'8" - 5'9").

Brightonian

50-60m sounds ridiculous price-tag now. But in 5 yrs time or so, it won't be that shocking. Bayern just bought a 20 y.o. Gotze for 38m. Lucas Moura was bought for 40m. They aren't Gk, but that just show how crazy the football inflation is.

Although gks never seem to command the same fees that they would if they were outfield players. After all, when we bought De Gea he was the promising young keeper at the time. No other keeper had as much hype around them. He was essentially the Gotze of goalkeeping, and yet we paid £19m for him whilst Bayern just paid £32m for Gotze.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The guy who just cut my hair was spitting image of David De Gea...

I'm sure pretty much everyone wanted to know this.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Although gks never seem to command the same fees that they would if they were outfield players. After all, when we bought De Gea he was the promising young keeper at the time. No other keeper had as much hype around them. He was essentially the Gotze of goalkeeping, and yet we paid £19m for him whilst Bayern just paid £32m for Gotze.
Not long ago, the players like David Silva and Mata only went for 25-30m. Now even the like of Reus that has done nothing of sort, went 17m.

I'm talking about another 5 years or so, when DDG become one of the best. But it's all conjecture. If we dare to gamble with 18m for 20 y.o. gk, I don't see why we would want less than 50m when he's at his peak (unless the player force the move, or any unmitigated accident happened).

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

I'd say he's closer to Rafael/Evra's height (about 5'8" - 5'9").
This has been going on for so long now I can't pick out the sarcasm from the serious posts.

I hope this was sarcasm.

Amir

Nice. I remember Eric Steele saying a couple of months back De Gea really wanted to show off his English in the press conference in Madrid... Except he wasn't asked any questions in English.

Revan

Assumptionman

Fantastic season
Anyone who doesn't think that De Gea has been the best keeper in England this season is either very bitter or is an idiot.

I was reading in RAWK yesterday, and no-one mentioned him as the best keeper in the league. I thought that even the bitter scousers would give him some credit.

The save from Bryan Ruiz is the save of the season in England, while the save from Coentrao shoot is possibly the save of the season in UCL.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The reality is he's not going to get near the credit he deserves. So many people wrote him off last season, and the vast majority won't eat humble pie.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I've never had doubts about him. Said from the very start that we got the future best goalkeeper in the world and I'm glad that he's living up to his potential. He might not be the best in the world yet but he is one of the best, and he is the best goalkeeper in the league. Should probably be a starter for Spain as well these days, although I can't see them dropping Casillas permanently yet.

Donut

The reality is he's not going to get near the credit he deserves. So many people wrote him off last season, and the vast majority won't eat humble pie.
He's slowly getting the recognition now, and he has a decent chance of being in the PFA team of the season. He's got to be the favourite really.

LR7

Good video. We were conceding an insane number of shots early in the season.

redevil2

Either that, or those same people just do not watch enough of him to see how brilliant he had become. Just look at our GD this season compared to city's. These people don't know how to do the maths.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Not long ago, the players like David Silva and Mata only went for 25-30m. Now even the like of Reus that has done nothing of sort, went 17m.
I don't mean to derail the thread, but domestically, Reus was excellent at Monchengladbach. A relatively sub-average side who he really carried. He hadn't done anything on the world stage at that point, because he wasn't playing for a team that could do that. His final 2 of his 3 seasons at Monchengladbach were terrific, and he's continued to be excellent for Dortmund. 17m Euros, whatever that is in £, was a very good price for him. It could have been alot more, but that was the buy out clause in his contract.

Oggmonster

Either that, or those same people just do not watch enough of him to see how brilliant he had become. Just look at our GD this season compared to city's. These people don't know how to do the maths.
Hmm, not sure if I've misunderstood this but I don't get the relevance of the goal difference? If you looked at it it shows City have conceded 5 less goals than us it's just that we scored more. I don't know how anyone would look at that and view it as a compliment to de Gea really?

I like de Gea and think he probably has been the best keeper in the league this season but I said it before in this topic, I don't know why so many of you are dying for him to get credit from other fans? The media don't slag him off really, if anything since the turn of the year all I've heard about him is praise especially after the Madrid game and it's not exactly surprising you're not getting credit from other fans if the website you're visiting is a Liverpool forum. I'm sure if you look at Fulham forums for example they'd have no problem praising him on them.

I don't think it's a case of people having to eat humble pie etc, I think some of you need to put it in to perspective, he's been in the league 2 seasons and as a young keeper in a new country he naturally made a few errors in Season 1 and was dropped for a bit, in Season 2 he started a bit dodgy (although he wasn't as bad as people made out) and has now seemingly settled down and become very good, if you take them 2 seasons as a whole and the fact that fans of other clubs won't watch United every week it's hardly a surprise he isn't always spoken about as the best keeper, maybe he will be at the end of next season, I'm personally quite glad he goes under the radar a bit.

Over time I think he'll come the best in the world, he doesn't look phased in our defence and to his credit he has had to deal with so many defensive changes it's ridiculous. He doesn't look phased by the pressure of playing in net for one of the biggest clubs in the world to which is always a positive.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, there's a peculiar obsession on here with De Gea not getting the credit he deserves. He's really come into his own as the season progresses but up until Christmas, he was being rotated in and out of the team. This is not something that would happen to the stand out best keeper in the league.

If we talk about who is the best keeper, right now, he'd be up there. Cech would also have a good shout. Likewise the usual suspects from some clubs lower down the league table. It's really hard to identify the best keeper anyway, as the game is so different depending which team they play for. In our long run of clean sheets, De Gea only faced 4 or 5 shots on his goal. Which requires a very different skill-set to what someone like Mignolet was going through at the same time.

For me, he's the keeper with the most potential and his recent form would put him up there amongst the best keepers in the league. That's it though. There's no way he's been the best keeper in the league this season and I find it weird the way so many people get annoyed that the media don't see it that way.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Yeah, there's a peculiar obsession on here with De Gea not getting the credit he deserves. He's really come into his own as the season progresses but up until Christmas, he was being rotated in and out of the team. This is not something that would happen to the stand out best keeper in the league.

If we talk about who is the best keeper, right now, he'd be up there. Cech would also have a good shout. Likewise the usual suspects from some clubs lower down the league table. It's really hard to identify the best keeper anyway, as the game is so different depending which team they play for. In our long run of clean sheets, De Gea only faced 4 or 5 shots on his goal. Which requires a very different skill-set to what someone like Mignolet was going through at the same time.

For me, he's the keeper with the most potential and his recent form would put him up there amongst the best keepers in the league. That's it though. There's no way he's been the best keeper in the league this season and I find it weird the way so many people get annoyed that the media don't see it that way.
I take it when VDS went 1000 minutes without conceding he faced chance after chance each game. Of course someone like Mignolet is going to be busier than de Gea, it's the same for any lower team and why Ben Foster looked great at West Brom.

Oggmonster

I take it when VDS went 1000 minutes without conceding he faced chance after chance each game. Of course someone like Mignolet is going to be busier than de Gea, it's the same for any lower team and why Ben Foster looked great at West Brom.
I thought the point Pogue was trying to make is that it's hard to rank the keepers due to what they do during the game? Which it obviously is. People like Minoglet or Krul for example probably face 2 to 3 times more shots per game than a de Gea or Hart due to their defense being worse so naturally they are going to concede more goals. Of course Hart and de Gea have to always be alert as there is that split second where anything can happen.

I don't think anyone is doubting de Gea or Hart could do the job lower down the leagues which is why they are at the top instead of the bottom but it's just that it's hard to rank the keepers and these stats can be fabricated. A good defensive record for example isn't just down to a keeper. The VDS one you point out is a perfect example as he didn't have a great deal of saves to make I'd imagine it's just he was part of a ridiculously organized defense. No one is saying he doesn't deserve the credit just that the likes of Evans, Rio, Vidic, Evra etc deserve it as well.

I think the main reason the clean sheets happened with VDS were trust in the keeper (and vice versa) and communication, de Gea conceded a shit load of goals at the start of the season probably down to bad communication and maybe not lack of trust but more confidence. The second half of the season even watching de Gea he communicates more with the defense and isn't scared to shout at them if he needs to, I think that's where Hart does or at least did excel over de Gea, he was playing with a far more settled team and rarely got it switched so it was easier to understand each other.

Adebesi

Up until the Madrid game it did feel like a witch hunt with DDG tho, he was in the press every day with some story about how SAF was looking at other keepers or how shite he was or whatever, I dont read the tabloids and usually dont concern myself with these kinds of things but it was quite out of hand, in terms of being potentially unsettling for him.

Granted, since the Madrid game there was been a complete turnaround and he is now getting the recognition he deserves. Maybe some people feel the pendulum ought to swing further - ie too far - to counterbalance the OTT criticism he was getting before? I dont know. Either way, seems like the media perception of him right now is about right: a very good young keeper with potential to improve further.

Status
Not open for further replies.