David de Gea | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Haven't been watching many of Spain's international games this year, has Casillas been starting in all of them? Just wondering if given how he's been used on-and-off at Real this season if there was any shot of De Gea starting.
Casillas will start, there's no debate about that now Valdés is injured (and even then it was almost definitely going to be Casillas).

Still amazes me that they're not picking Lopez. If you were picking purely on form, then Lopez should be 1st choice, de Gea 2nd, and Casillas 3rd.

And I know Del Bosque has always had a massive thing for respecting seniority, but if he's willing to bring de Gea in then he should be willing to drop Reina for Lopez.
Nah, López's form is hugely overrated. Real Madrid concede far fewer goals when Casillas plays in the cup games, and generally look a lot better defensively. López has a bad habit of parrying shots into the path of strikers, yet (English) commentators don't pick up on it.

Picking López over Reina would be far more trouble than it's worth (agree he's better though) because of the divide between him and his captain. You get people like Arbeloa who are now against Casillas because they are on López's "side", and that's probably why neither make it, as well as Reina's importance off-the-pitch.

Glad de Gea is going though, he's had a great season and is surely the future number one.

Brightonian

Picking López over Reina would be far more trouble than it's worth (agree he's better though) because of the divide between him and his captain. You get people like Arbeloa who are now against Casillas because they are on López's "side", and that's probably why neither make it, as well as Reina's importance off-the-pitch.
Although to be fair, Arbeloa's long overdue being dropped anyway. He's been obviously sub-standard for Spain and Madrid for so long now it's untrue.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Although to be fair, Arbeloa's long overdue being dropped anyway. He's been obviously sub-standard for Spain and Madrid for so long now it's untrue.
I agree with that too. He'll probably take to twitter to post some cryptic tweets again though, or pose with Diego López. There was a video of him shaking hands with everyone at Real Madrid except Casillas at the weekend by the way, so it's pretty clear they're not getting along. :lol:

prarek

Let's hope he will be the 2nd keeper but that's unlikely I guess
I actually think he might be the second keeper. Reina was probably chosen only for moral support. He's the dressing room clown.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I actually think he might be the second keeper. Reina was probably chosen only for moral support. He's the dressing room clown.
Yeah most likely. Could have the question answered if Spain win their first two games?

prarek

Yeah most likely. Could have the question answered if Spain win their first two games?
I think so. Im sure they will rest Casillas if they qualify before the final group game. They did the same thing in the Euros when Reina started the third game.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
The thing is, if Reina is the cheerleader people say he is, why not pick someone else, why waste a spot on him? I know he's most likely third choice keeper (probably second this time round) so it hardly matters but why not pick a quality keeper like Lopez, who is miles better than Reina, and take Reina to the World Cup as part of the coaching set up, similar to how Becks accompanied England to South Africa despite being unable to play through injury.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's embarrassing how good Spain are when players like de Gea, Mata and Silva might not even get in the team, they just shit excellent players out all the time :lol:

AltiUn

The thing is, if Reina is the cheerleader people say he is, why not pick someone else, why waste a spot on him? I know he's most likely third choice keeper (probably second this time round) so it hardly matters but why not pick a quality keeper like Lopez, who is miles better than Reina, and take Reina to the World Cup as part of the coaching set up, similar to how Becks accompanied England to South Africa despite being unable to play through injury.
If any of their games go down to penalties they can just chuck him in net.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It's embarrassing how good Spain are when players like de Gea, Mata and Silva might not even get in the team, they just shit excellent players out all the time :lol:
Silva is a starter for them since the Euros 2012.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
A player like López would cause far too many divisions in the squad, Reina doesn't bring that disruptiveness. Although to be fair I don't think it's anything López does personally, just the fact that the Real Madrid players are pretty split between him and Casillas.

AltiUn

Silva is a starter for them since the Euros 2012.
Oh, I didn't realise, but my point was they have so many quality players in every position and then there's us who have to settle for Glen Johnson at RB :nervous:

united_99

It actually would be kind of "funny" if Casillas gets suspended or injured and then Del Bosque brings on DDG and not Reina. Would make a mockery (if it already isn't) of Reina being one of their gk over all those years!

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
A player like López would cause far too many divisions in the squad, Reina doesn't bring that disruptiveness. Although to be fair I don't think it's anything López does personally, just the fact that the Real Madrid players are pretty split between him and Casillas.
Yeah, but I don't really get that. If it works for Real Madrid, why shouldn't it work for Spain?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Didn't Spain utilise all three goalkeeper's in their squad at some stage in South Africa, or am I imagining this?

united_99

Oh, I didn't realise, but my point was they have so many quality players in every position and then there's us who have to settle for Glen Johnson at RB :nervous:
Yep, literally no English player would get into Spain's squad, let alone starting 11. Spain have definitely done amzing and unparalleled work especially with youth since 2006/2008.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Great. Now we can enjoy a summer of his team mates doing a Fabregas and forcing a Barca shirt on him. I know they've just bought ter Stegen, but I still don't trust them. :nervous:

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, but I don't really get that. If it works for Real Madrid, why shouldn't it work for Spain?
It doesn't work for Real Madrid, Casillas should have been the first choice keeper in all competitions. It is funny though that in the two competitions he's started in they've made the final in both(won one so far) while they've stumbled in the league.

López is incredibly overrated anyway:

And that doesn't even include the regular mistakes he makes that get cleaned up.

prarek

They are spoilt for choice at right back aren't they. Carvajal, Azpilicueta and Juanfran have all had fantastic seasons. Azpi can play left back to so he'd be a good cover for Alba as well.

MarcRed96

Pleased for him, he completely deserves it. I doubt he'll get any game time unless Casillas picks up an injury but it'll definitely be a great experience for Dave.

Hopefully Mata joins him. Just shows how good the Spain team is when a player as good as Juan isn't guaranteed a place in the squad!

Mali_Zeus

He really should be nr. 2 in my opinion, I would go that far as saying maybe even nr. 1.

Really glad for him, he deserved it, he has been remarkable for us.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
By the way what happened to the contract he rumoured to be getting? The club really needs to tie him down.

Malva

congratulations to our dave, completely deserved it. I don't think Spain would be nervous if he started either, in many cases i would see him as being safer and more reliable then casillas (distribution, and now cross command). Casillas is the idol though, so barring a canizares esque freak accident, it'll be casillas starting per usual. dave is the second choice i'm pretty sure though.

lopez is overrated.. great shotstopper, nowhere near the top class goalkeepers in terms of handling, cross command (he's garbage) and positioning ability. great shotstopper mind, and he kept us from going through last season because of that trait.. but as a total keeper, i'd even prefer reina over him really. the entire mourinho conceived lopez>casillas episode was a nonsense personal-political squabble rather then a true decision based on ability.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Juan Mata has hailed his Manchester United and Spain team-mate David de Gea saying that the goalkeeper "has huge faith in himself" and that he is so calm during matches he is almost "unconscious".

De Gea was recently voted Manchester United player of the year by his team-mates and fans and is one of the few players to have emerged from a difficult season in credit. Mata, who joined United from Chelsea in January, says he has been very impressed with the goalkeeper, whom he played with for the Spanish Under-21s.

"He has huge faith in himself, which is a really important virtue," Mata says. "He doesn't let anything affect him. The day he makes a mistake he knows he has made a mistake but it never sinks him. He uses it to make sure that he doesn't make the mistake next time. It's a great quality. He's very calm. At times it seems almost like it's unconscious but that's a good thing.

"I've spoken to friends from Asturias about this and they say: 'bloody hell, it's as if [Leo] Messi doesn't care about anything, it's like he's just not bothered.' He scores goals and acts as if it's normal. But maybe that's a good thing. At this level, there's so much pressure and maybe if you tell yourself that you have to be brilliant all the time, when you make a mistake you collapse. Maybe you have to treat it all as a bit more 'normal'. I think that's a quality that great players have."

Mata also paid tribute to De Gea for helping him out as he settled in following his move from Chelsea. "It really helped that David De Gea was here. We had played together in the Spanish Under-21s. That makes a real difference for me ... and for him. It's a two-way street. I'm happy he's here ... and in fact, he has been one of the best players in the team too. He's happy that I am here too. We live very close together, we spend a lot of time together.

"The same as with Torres at Chelsea? No, with De Gea it's different because I'm the older one ... but he's the person I see the most of, we go to training together. I didn't know him as well before as I do now and he's a trozo de pan, a really lovely guy. He's also a brilliant goalkeeper who I am sure is going to eat the world."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/14/manchester-united-juan-mata-david-de-gea?CMP=twt_gu

united_99

I remember when that doughnuts story emerged and he explained that he just went to his car to get money and they thought he was stealing the doughnut. His English wasn't good then so he couldn't explain. Next day in training the other lads brought doughnuts for him to take the piss :lol:

Anyway, that was around the time SAF dropped him and the interviewer asked if that was the reason. DDG: "No, they are not going to drop me because of a doughnut" :lol: What a stupid question to ask!

ZDwyr

Juan Mata has hailed his Manchester United and Spain team-mate David de Gea saying that the goalkeeper "has huge faith in himself" and that he is so calm during matches he is almost "unconscious".

De Gea was recently voted Manchester United player of the year by his team-mates and fans and is one of the few players to have emerged from a difficult season in credit. Mata, who joined United from Chelsea in January, says he has been very impressed with the goalkeeper, whom he played with for the Spanish Under-21s.

"He has huge faith in himself, which is a really important virtue," Mata says. "He doesn't let anything affect him. The day he makes a mistake he knows he has made a mistake but it never sinks him. He uses it to make sure that he doesn't make the mistake next time. It's a great quality. He's very calm. At times it seems almost like it's unconscious but that's a good thing.

"I've spoken to friends from Asturias about this and they say: 'bloody hell, it's as if [Leo] Messi doesn't care about anything, it's like he's just not bothered.' He scores goals and acts as if it's normal. But maybe that's a good thing. At this level, there's so much pressure and maybe if you tell yourself that you have to be brilliant all the time, when you make a mistake you collapse. Maybe you have to treat it all as a bit more 'normal'. I think that's a quality that great players have."

Mata also paid tribute to De Gea for helping him out as he settled in following his move from Chelsea. "It really helped that David De Gea was here. We had played together in the Spanish Under-21s. That makes a real difference for me ... and for him. It's a two-way street. I'm happy he's here ... and in fact, he has been one of the best players in the team too. He's happy that I am here too. We live very close together, we spend a lot of time together.

"The same as with Torres at Chelsea? No, with De Gea it's different because I'm the older one ... but he's the person I see the most of, we go to training together. I didn't know him as well before as I do now and he's a trozo de pan, a really lovely guy. He's also a brilliant goalkeeper who I am sure is going to eat the world."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/14/manchester-united-juan-mata-david-de-gea?CMP=twt_gu
Bromance :drool:

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I remember when that doughnuts story emerged and he explained that he just went to his car to get money and they thought he was stealing the doughnut. His English wasn't good then so he couldn't explain. Next day in training the other lads brought doughnuts for him to take the piss :lol:

Anyway, that was around the time SAF dropped him and the interviewer asked if that was the reason. DDG: "No, they are not going to drop me because of a doughnut" :lol: What a stupid question to ask!
A Doughnut :lol: How is this the first time I heard about this!!!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It actually would be kind of "funny" if Casillas gets suspended or injured and then Del Bosque brings on DDG and not Reina. Would make a mockery (if it already isn't) of Reina being one of their gk over all those years!
DdG was the U21 keeper until last year, and Spain takes its U21 team seriously enough to leave senior standard players in it. Especially given that he wouldn't have made the senior team ahead of Casillas (if only because he's not Casillas and whatever could be said about his form in the past for Madrid, Casilla's form for the NT was good).

The significance of Valdes and Reina as squad players at tournaments is that they never complained or whispered to the press about being on the bench. Del Bosque respects that idea of squad solidarity as much or more than he does individual rankings or form. Everyone assumed that DdG would join the squad after the WC, and not necessarily as third choice. Valdes getting injured just brought it forward.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
congratulations to our dave, completely deserved it. I don't think Spain would be nervous if he started either, in many cases i would see him as being safer and more reliable then casillas (distribution, and now cross command). Casillas is the idol though, so barring a canizares esque freak accident, it'll be casillas starting per usual. dave is the second choice i'm pretty sure though.

lopez is overrated.. great shotstopper, nowhere near the top class goalkeepers in terms of handling, cross command (he's garbage) and positioning ability. great shotstopper mind, and he kept us from going through last season because of that trait.. but as a total keeper, i'd even prefer reina over him really. the entire mourinho conceived lopez>casillas episode was a nonsense personal-political squabble rather then a true decision based on ability.
I think Lopez has been good for Casillas.

Casillas looks leaner and sharper now than he has done for years. I reckon being the undisputed number one for club and country had made him lazy. He was always about quick reflexes and great movement. As he got older, he lost some of that, he didn't have enough other virtues to compensate and he wasn't training hard enough to maintain agility and sharpness. He's a better keeper now (for Madrid at least) than he was two years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.