Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Made mistakes and it cost us a goal but then made up for it with a standard DaveSave.

The man's reflexes are astonishing.

Giggs86

I wish this man gets at least one CL and a few more PL medals with us. Wouldn't mind Spain winning the WC if it meant he can add a World Cup winners medal to his cabinet. The number of times he saved us from conceding in dying situations is absolutely ridiculous.

Sterling Archer

I strongly believe that De Gea was a large contributing factor for Sterling's howler. I think that Sterling's past experiences with De Gea were affecting him, he knows that De Gea has him on toast and so he tried to make the perfect shot instead of doing the right thing.
That's a good point... Just having him in goal is an intimidation factor. It's a bit different fear i think from say Schmeichel or Oliver Kahn but still seems to have an effect

flappyjay

I wish this man gets at least one CL and a few more PL medals with us. Wouldn't mind Spain winning the WC if it meant he can add a World Cup winners medal to his cabinet. The number of times he saved us from conceding in dying situations is absolutely ridiculous.
The only reason why I am backing Spain for this world cup is Dave I really hope he wins

meamth

Surely in the top 10 greatest ever Man United player list, right?

De Gea's presence is enough to put off Sterling's confidence. I can imagine his thoughts be like "This guy can't be beaten without a perfect shot". Then he miss kicked it.

This is the only keeper in my lifetime that I don't really care if Ronaldo has an opening to shoot from outside of the box. "Nah De Gea will save that, no problem".

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I didn't react after the Aguero save. It didn't register until I saw the replay.

MiceOnMeth

Do people outside United/premier league view him like everyone viewed Buffon in the mid 00's or Neuer a few years ago? I feel he still doesn't get the credit he deserves because United aren't in champions league finals and Spain haven't been doing great lately either

Gopher Brown

Another fantastic save, but it's strange how his kicking has degraded and how poor that part of his game was this season.
Has it degraded though? Or did he just have a dodgy first half of a game?

If I had to play in front of Smalling and Bailly I’d feel a bit nervous.

Jericholyte2

I strongly believe that De Gea was a large contributing factor for Sterling's howler. I think that Sterling's past experiences with De Gea were affecting him, he knows that De Gea has him on toast and so he tried to make the perfect shot instead of doing the right thing.
I was just about to post about this. Sterling had a few games for Liverpool where he just couldn't get past David. I remember more than one 1-on-1 where David outwitted him and even Sterling rounding him but then De Gea recovering and saving it.

I remember after the Sevilla away tie pundits mentioned David, "making forwards question themselves" and I believe this was another case where David's history played in his and our favour.

Norris

Ridiculous just good he is. I know we've been seeing top quality saves from him for years now, but every time he does pull off an outrageous save, I am just in awe all over again. What a keeper!

meamth

I was just about to post about this. Sterling had a few games for Liverpool where he just couldn't get past David. I remember more than one 1-on-1 where David outwitted him and even Sterling rounding him but then De Gea recovering and saving it.

I remember after the Sevilla away tie pundits mentioned David, "making forwards question themselves" and I believe this was another case where David's history played in his and our favour.
There are many top players who just bottled it/frustrated against De Gea:

1. Hazard (Oh boy this guy, so many times one on one he lost it)
2. Aguero (I think there are many memorable ones)
3. Sterling
4. Coutinho (Scousers thought a worldie goal is coming everytime, but not with De Gea)

prath92

Maybe I’m in the minority but I think that save was something any top keeper would make. Him going with his other hand made it seem better than it is.

meamth

Maybe I’m in the minority but I think that save was something any top keeper would make. Him going with his other hand made it seem better than it is.
Indeed, that's what it is about. De Gea is a top keeper. :drool:

HeckneyNoodo

There are many top players who just bottled it/frustrated against De Gea:

1. Hazard (Oh boy this guy, so many times one on one he lost it)
2. Aguero (I think there are many memorable ones)
3. Sterling
4. Coutinho (Scousers thought a worldie goal is coming everytime, but not with De Gea)
Suarez as well.

Norris

Don't think he would have saved it with his left hand tbh. So that's basically a split second decision he made, which deserves sufficient credit as well. I am not sure how many other top keepers would have used their right. It's a debate commonly brought up and the natural tendency seems to be to use the left hand in that situation.

nemanja15

Goalkeeping science has changed a lot in the past 5-10 years. Going with the ‘wrong’ or ‘opposite’ hand generates more power, direction and control for the keeper saving the ball. It’s no secret many of de Gea’s, and others’, best saves happen in this way.

Mindhunter

Looks like that on TV. The reaction time was almost zero and it was hit from very close so he didn’t have a lot of time to see the ball. No, I don’t think many keepers would have made that save.

Canagel

A compilation of his best saves this season.:drool: Some of them are contenders for the best of his career. I really do think this season has been the best in his career so far. And after watching this video I'm totally convinced our defence is quite poor and if it wasn't for this man we wouldn't be near the top 4 let alone be close to challenging for a league. No top team concedes as much shots on our own goal as we do. De Gea should not be called into action as regularly as he is now. We've got to build a strong team as soon as possible to give him the titles he deserves to have. I don't want us to waste the best years of his career without us challenging the biggest honours.

Rasfene

Some goalkeepers are massive 100kg and tall so they would save some by sheer blocking.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I think something that he can work on is his distribution. In comparison with some of the other top Goalkeepers in the league his accuracy is quite low. When you look at Ederson, Lloris or even Courtois they all seem to trump him in this department.

He's obviously still the best Keeper in the world easy. So not a big deal by any means.

Canagel

I think something that he can work on is his distribution. In comparison with some of the other top Goalkeepers in the league his accuracy is quite low. When you look at Ederson, Lloris or even Courtois they all seem to trump him in this department.

He's obviously still the best Keeper in the world easy. So not a big deal by any means.
What were his distribution stats under LVG? I just simply think it's to do with our managers style. He seems to be under instruction to kick long almost every time. Even when there's no pressure. All the keepers you mentioned play out from the back more than De Gea because it's something important to their managers. Mourinho doesn't find this important so I can understand if De Gea has stagnated in this area. Under LVG he was passing more but now he probably doesn't practice playing out from the back anymore. I think if De Gea practices his distribution will be the best also. He's a quick learner. Remember the first few games how he struggled with crosses and long balls? Doesn't seem to be problem anymore. A lot of credit has to go to LVG's goalkeeping staff though. It was under their management and especially Frans Hoek that De Gea transformed himself into the best goalkeeper in the world.

Last edited:

Sylar

Hes made some of these ridiculous saves the norm, that it seems he gets criticised for letting in goals that arent even his fault.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
What were his distribution stats under LVG? I just simply think it's to do with our managers style. He seems to be under instruction to kick long almost every time. Even when there's no pressure. All the keepers you mentioned play out from the back more than De Gea because it's something important to their managers. Mourinho doesn't find this important so I can understand if De Gea has stagnated in this area. Under LVG he was passing more but now he probably doesn't practice playing out from the back anymore. I think if De Gea practices his distribution will be the best also. He's a quick learner. Remember the first few games how he struggled with crosses and long balls? Doesn't seem to be problem anymore. A lot of credit has to go to LVG's goalkeeping staff though. It was under their management and especially Frans Hoek that De Gea transformed himself into the best goalkeeper in the world.

First season under LVG it's basically exactly the same as it is now. Second season i think it's a little higher, but still not as high as the keepers i mentioned. It seems petty to talk about (and it probably is) but you're obviously judging him by very, very high standards. So it's just something that sticks out. And yes, it may be a combination of De Gea and the way that we play in general. We do tend to go long more often which will obviously have an impact on those stats.

Man Utd 0:1 West Brom

Rasfene

Regarding the goal conceded, why is ddg so concerned with tagging himself to the defender?

Why don't he just come out and punch the ball away?

Acole9

Outstanding
No credit off the pundits yet again for a pretty good save. I guess he's set the standards high now.

Bournemouth 0:2 Man Utd

T A

Surprised that no one mentions it yet. His first starting captaincy ever. I think finally he’s got the recognition he deserves. Having been our top player for years, it makes no sense that the likes of Smalling keep overshadowing him in captaincy order. De Gea’s composure is also way better than Pogba’s shining hair when coming to the definition of leader/team symbol.

Spectacular saves always make goosebumps in his teammate’s heads so there is a way that he can inspire the team as good as any outfield captain, make other players believe they’re all in safe hands and free to move forward. 8 years at the club - joint third seniority just after Carrick and Valencia definitely make him trustworthy enough amongst the players.

Obviously Valencia will be the one after Carrick’s retirement but i hope Jose will choose De Gea to be his first vice captain, then when the time comes, De Gea would be there and ready for it

Trizy

Bit off topic but I love his kicking technique. As per the picture about, he barely looks like he's putting any power into it and yet he drives it miles.

Very underrated ability in football (Sunday League, anyway).

Obviously Valencia will be the one after Carrick’s retirement but i hope Jose will choose De Gea to be his first vice captain, then when the time comes, De Gea would be there and ready for it
I don’t think this is a slam dunk. He’s tended to give the captaincy on the pitch to senior players in the absence of the club captain, Carrick - but being club captain is different, more responsibility, more leadership, ability to give an interview is required - which I see nothing of the sort from Valencia. There are very few options, but I would give it to DDG for next season. If not Matic. Would be nice to have the captain on the pitch for a change.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Not much action today for our Dave.
I thought his distribution stood out this game. In the 2nd half he was really putting some sweet balls to our forwards.

I think his long ball distribution is actually really good, he gets it right on the money most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.