David De Gea Appreciation Thread

arnie_ni

Yes, he was. How old are you?
He obviously has only started watching ddg since that 2018 world cup. Up until that point from about 12 or 13 there was possibly only one keeper in the world better. I'd make a strong string argument ddg was the best for a few of those seasons.

The Bloody-Nine

He obviously has only started watching ddg since that 2018 world cup. Up until that point from about 12 or 13 there was possibly only one keeper in the world better. I'd make a strong string argument ddg was the best for a few of those seasons.
He was. There's a reason Real Madrid tried to sign him.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
He’s better than that Turkish guy and De Gea is a free agent. Who do you think we’re going to get in January that is better??
What turkish guy?

IMO the obvious choice for United last summer was to get a back up keeper on loan, preferably some reliable, experienced GK who isn't getting game time somewhere else and is looking for a last hurrah before calling it a career. I thought Keylor Navas on loan from PSG was ideal in that regard, so United would be covered for the AFCON and could rotate in case of either injuries or Onana being underwhelming.

Sparky Rhiwabon

What turkish guy?

IMO the obvious choice for United last summer was to get a back up keeper on loan, preferably some reliable, experienced GK who isn't getting game time somewhere else and is looking for a last hurrah before calling it a career. I thought Keylor Navas on loan from PSG was ideal in that regard, so United would be covered for the AFCON and could rotate in case of either injuries or Onana being underwhelming.
Bayindir

Pickle85

From last season alone. He was really bad; it's just that Onana is most recently bad.
Have you watched that video? There are four bad mistakes that lead to goals, a few poor passes which don't, and then the last quarter of the video showcases some of the worldie saves he pulled off. Onana has topped this entire season's blooper reel already.

Son

Four times!
Bar wasn’t high though hence why we gave it to the keeper. Big Pete only won it once I believe and De Gea was never his class apart from 2017 I’d argue.

Schmiechel is arguably the greatest keeper of all time and a giant in the game but had a tougher time standing out in our side back then. Holds more weight when your side is actually successful.

De Gea is still a legend for our club but using his established career to dump on our new player fans can do one. De Gea was wobbly in his first season here.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Have you watched that video? There are four bad mistakes that lead to goals, a few poor passes which don't, and then the last quarter of the video showcases some of the worldie saves he pulled off. Onana has topped this entire season's blooper reel already.
It didn't even show all of the mistakes, like Sevilla. I think they have been equally terrible.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Letting De Gea go wasn't an issue. He was done and had to be moved on. The worst thing we could have done was reward another new contract to yet another player who was well past their best. The real mistake we made was selling Henderson. IMO he should have been given a chance to make the #1 his own. If that didn't work out, then find a new #1 in January or in the summer...

BeltUp

Supports
United
Letting De Gea go wasn't an issue. He was done and had to be moved on. The worst thing we could have done was reward another new contract to yet another player who was well past their best. The real mistake we made was selling Henderson. IMO he should have been given a chance to make the #1 his own. If that didn't work out, then find a new #1 in January or in the summer...
I don't think getting rid of DDG or Henddrson was the mistake. The mistake was signing Onana.

Yakuza_devils

Letting DDG and Henderson go was not a mistake. But replacing them with Onana and Bayindir is a big mistake.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He hasn't even made Crystal Palace #1 his own. He's only getting games in the past couple of weeks because Johnstone is injured.

Oranges038

He hasn't even made Crystal Palace #1 his own. He's only getting games in the past couple of weeks because Johnstone is injured.
You could also say Johnstone was really only playing ahead of him because he was injured.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't think getting rid of DDG or Henddrson was the mistake. The mistake was signing Onana.
Hindsight is 20/20. And while he's had some shaky moments, I'm not about to write him off yet. He was the keeper I thought would be the right choice, I just thought we should have waited a year and given Hendo a shot first...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Forget the tweet itself, not interested in having that debate/discussion or anything - but can anyone tell me who the save at 50 seconds was against? I have no recollection of that save at all (and it's an absolute worldie)

CallyRed

That performance v Arsenal 17/18 was insane. How we won that game I'll never know.

sugar_kane

People posting those videos don’t seem to understand the concept of decline

They might as well be posting videos of Rooney in his hey day and saying we need to bring him back

De Gea was really awful for his last couple of seasons, whether that’s mental or physical decline (maybe both) it’s unclear but either way he was done at the top level

The fact he’s happily decided to take early retirement in all but name tells you our decision to get rid was right

Our problem is that we got the second half of that decision wrong and replaced him with someone who is nowhere near good enough.

BristolMick

People posting those videos don’t seem to understand the concept of decline

They might as well be posting videos of Rooney in his hey day and saying we need to bring him back

De Gea was really awful for his last couple of seasons, whether that’s mental or physical decline (maybe both) it’s unclear but either way he was done at the top level

The fact he’s happily decided to take early retirement in all but name tells you our decision to get rid was right

Our problem is that we got the second half of that decision wrong and replaced him with someone who is nowhere near good enough.
Completely agree. Ever since 2018 DDG was a liability and his performances cost us champions league qualification at times and also the Europa League too. I remember counting he faced somewhere upwards of 30 consecutive penalties without saving a single one.

I'd be a little less critical of him had he been on more modest wages but he was the best paid goalkeeper in the world at the time.

Something which seems to have been a recurring issue with united in recent years. Where we seem to fear not getting market value for a player or them leaving on a free so we offer absurd wages to prevent them leaving. And in the end it costs us long term as we have players on salaries we'll above what anyone else would pay.

A great servant to the club who will be fondly remembered for his shot stopping and heroics with many stand out individual performances. But for the last 5 years he's been nowhere near good enough to be the best paid goalkeeper in the world and I think that's been a hindrance and he needed to go sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Cheimoon