David De Gea Appreciation Thread

MUFC OK

Some of the stick from our own fanbase has been unacceptable.

Has been an incredible player for this club. All things must come to an end and in my eyes his legacy as a true legend of the club is in tact.

Thanks for all of it Spanish Dave.

CatsOfUlthar

He was fine. Not great not terrible.

He sometimes stopped goals going in, other times he didn't, when he didn't it was frankly spectacularly badly.

He was like a less charismatic Barthez.

As Gattuso would have said, sometimes maybe good sometimes maybe not... I may be paraphrasing.

Tyrion

How many DDG threads do we need?
There's no football on so why not?

Maybe at a club like Atletico Madrid (yeah there is no League Cup in Spain but you get my point). At United? Hardly an impressive trophy haul over 12 years.
Individual players shouldn't be judged on trophy hauls. If they were, Fergies squad players would be legends while Brian Robson wouldn't be. DDG was our best player for about 5 years.

Tyrion

Has been an incredible player for this club. All things must come to an end and in my eyes his legacy as a true legend of the club is in tact.

Agreed. Some of our fans are just :houllier:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Brilliant player at his peak, looks like World cup 2918 completely broke him. Never the same player after the world cup.

I hope he enjoys rest of his career and win lot of trophies.

Msuker

In some of the most difficult years of the last decade, where we had been at the lowest point as a football club and a team in over 30 years, David De Gea was the one certainty that fans could count on. When everything failed from Fellani, Di Maria to Sanchez and Pogba, the opponent still had to beat David De Gea, which was never easy.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

Im with you. He has been a fantastic servant to the club, longevity is so often under rated in the modern era. I hope he goes on to have many more successful years, he is still not all that old for a keeper.

YikesSchmeics

I appreciate he is finally gone. Had a few great shot stopping years from 2014-2017.

Massively overrated outside of those years. And arguably, overrated within those years as well. Although his shot stopping was world class, every other area of his play was and always has been genuinely bad. Even when he was considered "the best in the world".

Been stopping us from evolving our playing style for the last 5 years. We should have sold him and banked the cash when we had the chance.

Been a good servant and deserves respect for longevity and attitude. But also been earning 3-4 times more than what he's worth.

I don't consider him a legend, or even a top 3 goalkeeper for our club. He's one of the most overrated players in modern football imo, and people who adore him solely judge keepers by shot stopping.
There's always one. Well done on being that guy.

AndySmith1990

All these threads...Shows how starved we've been of decent players since Ferguson left. De Gea was always a very limited keeper who was appalling at commanding his box and looked terrified of being in possession of the ball. That was tolerated because of the Hollywood saves he'd make. Sometimes he'd end up having to make them because he had failed to deal with the danger prior due to the above mentioned flaws.

Appreciate him sticking around and being so loyal. I'm sure Real Madrird changing their minds and not signing the documents didnt have anything to do with it, nor the £375k per week he was earning.

I appreciate him trying his best and wish him well. He's a good bloke. But we'll be a better team without him.

DeGea

Should he have a banner at Old Trafford? I was surprised that I felt a bit emotional yesterday when heard that he’d left. He is imperfect we know that, but gave us so many memories, and was a loyal servant. Always loved the club and tried his best. I think he was seen as an easy scapegoat for United’s failings over the years, which were multi factorial. He was clearly not the biggest problem.

I think he deserves at least a testimonial for charity for example, and the fans can give him a proper send off. The club should be better than this.

Longshanks

He deserves respect for his longevity, and at times his shot stopping had been outstanding, and it's given us some great moments.

I think he got lucky that he played for us in a time of constant transition from one manager to another from one playing style to another and he was able to thrive in the cahos that followed.

He looks good when he's busy, because he is a good shot stopper and is very much a camera save merchant. But realistically he never did anything else to help the team, no command, no organisation, no sweeping, no playmaking. Those last two have really come to the fore in the last 5 years or so as the game has moved on to top teams having playmaker sweeper keepers, something Dave really isn't.

Deserves credit for dealing with the pressure and scrutiny of being our No1 for so many years, but at the same time has struggled in high pressure moments and made many mistakes in big games for us over the years.

Good luck Dave, you always did your best. But IMO he isn't one of our best keepers ever, to many flaws and weaknesses.

Melville Red

I appreciate he is finally gone. Had a few great shot stopping years from 2014-2017.

Massively overrated outside of those years. And arguably, overrated within those years as well. Although his shot stopping was world class, every other area of his play was and always has been genuinely bad. Even when he was considered "the best in the world".

Been stopping us from evolving our playing style for the last 5 years. We should have sold him and banked the cash when we had the chance.

Been a good servant and deserves respect for longevity and attitude. But also been earning 3-4 times more than what he's worth.

I don't consider him a legend, or even a top 3 goalkeeper for our club. He's one of the most overrated players in modern football imo, and people who adore him solely judge keepers by shot stopping.
Absolutely agree, I am pleased that he has finally gone as you say should have sold him a few years back, maybe we tried but no takers due to his wages?

dinostar77

Jesus, hes left the club, cant you guys give it a rest. Its beyond pathetic.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Started poorly, good/very good middle period, ended poorly. Not in my top three United keepers in my life time. Wish him well, but this is the right decision

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
One of those classic appreciation threads where there's very little appreciation.

RVN1991

Imagine a bunch of nobodies downplaying the career of a guy who had 5 fantastic seasons in one of the biggest clubs in the world. Only on the internet.

Denis79

I wish him all the best! Best shot-stopper I have ever seen.

Alex123

Very close to being the greatest goalkeeper we have ever had. Best reflexes I've ever seen. Absolute legend!

Great between 2013-2018. But couldn’t catch a cross and failed in big games consistently. Good luck Dave but I’m glad we’ve moved on. Can’t see him at a top club for the rest of his career.

Pavl3n

I guess this is the thread where we say thank you to David and show our appreciation for his action.

I'd like to say one big thank you for keeping us afloat, keeping us in the 'big 6'. That would've not been possible without Dave's saves.
And I'd also like to say another thank you for leaving in the right time, saving the club the enormous wages he didn't deserve and letting us replace him with real quality that would help us take the club back to the highest level.

Widow

Jesus, hes left the club, cant you guys give it a rest. Its beyond pathetic.
This!

We have fans that moan about how we treat some players but some fans are terrible towards them. It's easy to forget just how good he was when we were absolutely dog shit. I'll have fond memories of him and wish him all the best. Oh, he's definitely in the top three of our greatest ever keepers and he should be considered a club legend.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
All these threads...Shows how starved we've been of decent players since Ferguson left. De Gea was always a very limited keeper who was appalling at commanding his box and looked terrified of being in possession of the ball. That was tolerated because of the Hollywood saves he'd make. Sometimes he'd end up having to make them because he had failed to deal with the danger prior due to the above mentioned flaws.

Appreciate him sticking around and being so loyal. I'm sure Real Madrird changing their minds and not signing the documents didnt have anything to do with it, nor the £375k per week he was earning.

I appreciate him trying his best and wish him well. He's a good bloke. But we'll be a better team without him.
Imagine how much of an ass you have to be to spout this shit in a thread specifically intended for positive comments, rather than any of the other De Gea threads.

Golden Nugget

There’s definitely some ups and downs with Dave but I would argue that there’s definitely more ups than downs. We will see in time how it pans out - let’s not forget Carrick was one of the biggest scapegoats on here as well - and to this day, we still haven’t had a player that has his range of passing (well Pogba did but didn’t bother to play most of the time).

His ball playing was what cost him eventually - but I still think his biggest issue was his lack of control in the air - which I hope Onana can fix. His reflexes is definitely world class - and I don’t think I’ve seen a better keeper save with his feet better than De Gea.

troylocker

He's a fantastic shotstopper with extraordinary reflexes and made some outrageous saves for us from the goalline. He was born 15 years too late and would have been a much greater legend for us if he was here from 96'-08' in stead of 11'-23'.
Crazy that he's born in the 90s and has 12 seasons for us. Will miss him!

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Best shot stopper ever. Full stop.

He’s a proper goalkeeper of the game of football. Playmaking, press resistant keepers are a product of football evolution. But DDG is the best example of how keeper should be: A keeper.

el3mel

I honestly can't believe he's gone. It'll be so weird watching United without him in the goal. Say what you want about last few seasons but he was the only good thing in United for many years.

Fitchett

Although it's the right time for him to move on, as Ten Hag's rebuild progresses, I am genuinely sad to see him leave. He is, without question, the best shot stopper I have seen in my 60 years of watching United. But times change, football styles and tactics change, and we need a different type of keeper to progress as a team.

So, thanks Dave for pulling off the most unbelievable saves and for keeping us competitive during the last ten years. Good luck with your next move. Always a Red legend!

SirScholes

He’s a proper goalkeeper of the game of football. Playmaking, press resistant keepers are a product of football evolution. But DDG is the best example of how keeper should be: A keeper.
Actually his general shot stopping wasn’t that great but he was excellent at reaction saves

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
EtH:

“It's massive what David has done for us and for Manchester United.

“Last season he contributed so highly on our top-four position, to winning the trophy in the Carabao Cup and to reaching the final of the FA Cup.

“So, we are really grateful for what he did for us, and we highly respect him.”

“545 games, that's huge.

“So many times he had the clean sheets because of his skills and he has done massive things for Manchester United and we all respect him.

“Sometimes also, as a team, especially on the top, you move, it's fluid, it's dynamic, and you move in another direction, and it happens.

“And when you are [here for] 12 years at Man United, there then comes a period when players will come and go.”

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Cech was better

spiriticon

Best shot stopper ever? I don't think he was better than Schmeichel.

Best of his generation, maybe.

SirScholes

Football on a spreadsheet
Pretty sure having a good save % has a direct link to his main job role like

it’s how goalkeepers are graded during scout reports and why VDS was the better of the two clearly

Oranges038

Pretty sure having a good save % has a direct link to his main job role like

it’s how goalkeepers are graded during scout reports and why VDS was the better of the two clearly
Was talking about this the other day. DDG always had the capacity to make some incredible relfex saves. But, overall aside from a couple of seasons where he went near or above 80% for shots saves. On the whole his shot stopping is/was average when compared across the board and a number of seasons. Regularly being in the low 70s.

Even when people harp on about chances and shots against and defenders they had in front of them etc, both faced on average about 130 shots against in the league. But VDS arguably played in a side that was much more open and attacking and played higher, rather than one who sat in and looked to play on the counter like DDG for the most part.

VDS even at Fulham was high 70s, at Utd he was over 80% for 5 seasons straight. In 05/06 VDS faced the most of all his seasons, 182 shots in the league and had an 82% save record.

At his "peak" DDG never faced that many shots in the league. 140 when he got 80% in 17/18. The one time he faced 180 shots he let in 57 goals and had a save % of 70%.

VDS was just a much much better keeper in every department.