David De Gea | Free agent | Said his goodbyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
It looks like we are close to signing Matheus from SC Braga. I don’t know if he’s coming in as No1 or backup and how this affects our interest in Hendo though.

AaronRedDevil

Never seen a keeper be solely responsible to saving so many points for us for years. He was ridiculous during the LVG and Jose era. We'd be fecked so many times if it wasn't for him. Yea these last 3 years hasn't been at his best but they don't belittle how good he was for us.

JagUTD

Never seen a keeper be solely responsible to saving so many points for us for years. He was ridiculous during the LVG and Jose era. We'd be fecked so many times if it wasn't for him. Yea these last 3 years hasn't been at his best but they don't belittle how good he was for us.
One of my favourite examples of peak De Gea was that game against Arsenal where he made a ridiculous number of saves. We should have been battered that day and we would have been with just about any other keeper in goal.

Fts 74

I agree, overall he's been a great keeper for us but it does seem obvious that ETH wants a ball playing keeper and De Gea just can't do it.

Hes been a terrific servant for the club and this should've been handled better.If he does leave I wish him well.

JagUTD

How come people are so sure that it's ETH who doesn't want him? If that was the case I think he would already have been released as ETH isn't the type to mess about. This is the guy who booted Ronaldo out of the club after all.

If ETH was the one who wanted him gone, I think it would have been very clear and not the shitshow it actually is.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
A lot have forgotten this and want to remember him for the tail end of his United career instead.

At the time of his peak, few would say he wasn't one of the best during that period, yet nowadays it's easy for some to discredit him at every moment.

davidmichael

That bolded part right there is the problem we’ve had at this club for a decade, too much emphasis is put on what a player has done for us or a new contract to preserve value so we don’t ever move forward.

Let’s be honest there’s been times in the last three years that he’s cost us points or games and the knock on effect that has is it makes the defence nervy which in turn makes the midfield nervy, no other club in Europe is in for De Gea on a free yet so many want us to keep him based on what he did for managers 4-6 years ago.

It’s very simple and it comes down to do people want ETH to stay and implement his tactics and progress or do we want to reward mediocrity based on the fact they’ve stuck around on a massive wage for years ? Yes De Gea HAS been great but hasn’t been for a few years since that World Cup with Spain.

How many times did Sir Alex move players on as soon as they didn’t fit how he wanted to play or the culture ? He moved Whiteside and McGrath on followed by Hughes, Ince and Kanchelskis then Beckham then Yorke then RVN and tried to move Rooney on in his last season as he didn’t allow sentiment or past glories cloud his judgement for the club.

AndySmith1990

A lot have forgotten this and want to remember him for the tail end of his United career instead.

At the time of his peak, few would say he wasn't one of the best during that period, yet nowadays it's easy for some to discredit him at every moment.
I remember quite well how good he has been during his time at the club. It is however irrelevant to his worth to the team right now. Sentimentality isn't going to win us anything

Twisted_Woody

Scout
I'm in the minority but a year of overlap to provide competition for the position would be nice.

Brophs

The One and Only
I imagine DDG's wedding speech will be pretty uninspired and dull. He'll just stick rigidly to his lines.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I remember quite well how good he has been during his time at the club. It is however irrelevant to his worth to the team right now. Sentimentality isn't going to win us anything
Did I highlight something you said to make that point?

I agree that he isn't the answer anymore, but have seen comments from posters not acknowledging at all that he was ever a valuable player for us.

atkar83

How come people are so sure that it's ETH who doesn't want him? If that was the case I think he would already have been released as ETH isn't the type to mess about. This is the guy who booted Ronaldo out of the club after all.

If ETH was the one who wanted him gone, I think it would have been very clear and not the shitshow it actually is.
Reports are an extension was offered to De Gea at lower wages for one year but then rescinded. EtH probably wants to make sure they have an alternative in place before letting De Gea go otherwise you look even more desperate to selling teams. Its not exactly respectful to De Gea but he also knows he would not have gotten paid anywhere else for anywhere near as much as he has been here (short of Saudi Arabia)

Idxomer

Face to face talks which mean they are gonna offer him more money if we win multiple major tohpies over the coming seasons.

Rusholme Ruffian

That’s an interesting view and I tend to agree, but what we need to remember is that de Gea’s development was severely damaged by two events in the summer of 2016.

First we brought in Jose as manager, who has never cared about retaining possession. All the work that had been done on Dave’s build up play, which had got pretty good, was thrown away with Jose only wanting the ball hoofed long and hard.

Second, the club was impressed with the work Franz Hoek had done with Dave and considered retaining him alone among LvG’s staff. Instead of doing so Dave was, unbelievably, asked what he wanted. Hoek had clearly taken him out of his comfort zone so he asked for him to be ousted and his old Atlético coach brought in. Only at United…

If those two things hadn’t happened I reckon there would have been a decent chance Dave would have kept up to date. He might still have declined by now, but we probably wouldn’t be looking at him as a throwback.
Great shout about Franz Hoek - I'd completely forgotten about that. And you could be right about Jose too - perhaps he came in at a crucial juncture of DDG's development, and that, combined with the loss of Hoek led Dave to regress to the stuff that felt most comfortable to him.

Brightonian

Absolutely not Dave’s problem. Really stupid of the club to let this sitch get this far.
I’d tell them bollocks.
In his best interests to wait and see. If we can't land someone else to be #1, we'll be in a worse negotiating position and he'll be able to demand more - wages, years on a new contract, whatever he wants. Meanwhile if he gets a nice offer from elsewhere he won't have promised us anything, he can accept it the second he feels like it.

If I was him I'd be saying 'sure thing lads, take all the time you need' while my agent shops me around all and sundry.

gajender

In his best interests to wait and see. If we can't land someone else to be #1, we'll be in a worse negotiating position and he'll be able to demand more - wages, years on a new contract, whatever he wants. Meanwhile if he gets a nice offer from elsewhere he won't have promised us anything, he can accept it the second he feels like it.

If I was him I'd be saying 'sure thing lads, take all the time you need' while my agent shops me around all and sundry.
You are reaching here there is no way United are starting the next season with out new No 1.

Even If worst come to worst and we can't get our primary target due to whatever reason then we will settle for stopgap with more suitable quality rather than get De Gea back as No 1.

He is done at United his Contact is most probably is back up keeper one and it's upto De Gea to take it or leave it , Club I don't think is any more bothered despite their media briefs which probably was put out to counter earlier narrative of doing De Gea dirty .

Last edited:

Balljy

I think it's very clear that De Gea isn't a great keeper for the way ETH wants us to play. He may rate him in other ways which is why we seem to have offered him a number 2 contract. It's a shame for De Gea, and he doesn't deserve this kind of send-off in my opinion but I do get it from a squad perspective.

klayton88

Bye Dave. For all your flaws you still carried us for three seasons in a dark period and for that you'll be remembered a legend.

Last edited:

Theonas

Scout
Was never a fan of his and even at his best I thought his success symbolized our weakness which is not his fault obviously. But he just can't function in any modern elite team, not just the way EtH wants play which will be evident when we see his next destination. Having said all that, the man deserves a good send-off. He was a top shot stopper and we badly needed that when we were conceding chances left and right. I hope he gets a testimonial and gets the chance to say a proper goodbye.

ShinjiNinja26

He’s been a great player for the club over the years but it’s time to go now. Thanks for everything big Dave! You’ve carried us at times in the baron years and produced some unreal saves for us, you’ll have a highlight reel which will stand up with the best. Good luck wherever you go.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
De gea has been an amazing goalkeeper for us when we had a poor defense. Our defense looks much better now, so we do not need a shot stopper as much as we needed De Gea in the past. However, I would still give him a proper send off if he is leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.