David De Gea

Rocknrolla69er

I think De Gea has been great for us over the years but I think for Henderson to develop into a world-class keeper, he'd need regular playing time and with David at the club, those opportunities are not going to be available except for the one right now. Also, Henderson's distribution and his commanding presence in the box on set pieces are already better than DDG. I think we need to get the heavy wages folks off the team if they aren't giving us world-class performances week in week out.

DDG (375k/week), Pogba (300k/week), Martial (215k/week), Mata (160k/week) -> I would get rid of them all. That's a million in wages per week that could be replaced with half. a million with better output.
This all day

Sell and reinvest shrewdly. £52m a year in wages alone , and whatever in transfer fees £120m at least
Huge amount of investment.

croadyman

This all day

Sell and reinvest shrewdly. £52m a year in wages alone , and whatever in transfer fees £120m at least
Huge amount of investment.
I just cannot see us being able to do 3 major sales in one summer because we generally take an eternity over deals and would fully expect two of those players to go to the euros which also is going to greatly delay the process

peridigm

I just cannot see us being able to do 3 major sales in one summer because we generally take an eternity over deals and would fully expect two of those players to go to the euros which also is going to greatly delay the process
Selling any of our players this summer is going to be difficult. We know Pogba wants out. Juve are really the only ones interested and from what I've read, they're passing around the tin cup. I think we'll lose him for free next year.
As for DDG, hopefully the PSG rumors are true and he goes there. Otherwise, we're stuck with him as well. Martial is going to be tough due to him having such a poor season and Mata should just retire to MLS.

I don't think most fans understand the gravity of what COVID has done to football and transfers. It's going to be a tough few years. Maybe it will bring prices down to reality for a short time or force agents to be less greedy. Wishfull thinking on my last point. I think we'll sign one or two players but they won't be record breakers. Dare I say we need a CB first but we also need a striker and a RW.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The way Romero was treated this year there is no way he ever plays for us again
Unfortunately.

Romero should have been trusted with the later cup games last season (at least the FA Cup and League Cup anyway), and then been sent out on loan this season with the understanding he'll come back next season as our #2 again when one of De Gea or Henderson leave. Instead we're probably going to have to buy another keeper to act as our backup and it's unlikely they'll be as good as Romero.

largelyworried

Who is he?

I'd take de gea on a bad day over navas on his best day. Awful keeper. Thought he was awful at Madrid as well.
He's poor on crosses and doesnt come out of his box very effectively. But he's a cracking shot stopper, currently ranked 9th across all of Europe's top 5 leagues. De Gea is ranked 64th.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't think most fans understand the gravity of what COVID has done to football and transfers. It's going to be a tough few years. Maybe it will bring prices down to reality for a short time or force agents to be less greedy. Wishfull thinking on my last point.
You are correct except for City. Their “income” is not affected by outside factors. They will continue to vastly outspend all competitors. When even Arbitration let them off, it gave them a green light to continue / ramp it up.

Rocknrolla69er

I totally agree pal, if only we could be more organised and have a competant director of football in place to get deals in place.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Who is he?

I'd take de gea on a bad day over navas on his best day. Awful keeper. Thought he was awful at Madrid as well.
If PSG go for anyone, I can see it being Lloris:

Contract ending will mean good value
French team captain
Pochettino
Lower wages

peridigm

He's poor on crosses and doesnt come out of his box very effectively. But he's a cracking shot stopper, currently ranked 9th across all of Europe's top 5 leagues. De Gea is ranked 64th.
You’ve just described DDG. Only difference now is DDG is not as good a shot stopper as he once was.

RUCK4444

Who is he?

Yeah it's a huge stretch to say Navas is a much better keeper than De Gea.

Not seen any tweets from that guy previously tbh.

arthurka

Navas is currently a better keeper than DDG but has never gotten close to DDG´s best form.
Pretty sure if DDG is being showed around Europe as a viable option they are not showing his performances since 2018.

Tallis

Only Inter can help us here. They have solved 2 of our biggest transfer dilemmas of recent years.

-Supreme-

Very unlikely we will get any money for DDG who is on 350k a week contract for another two years.

What do people prefer:

1. Keep Henderson and get rid of DDG for free
2. Keep DDG and sell Henderson for £50m. The money will be re-invested on top of the transfer budget.

It's worth remembering that we can bring in another quality player for 50m, so I don't think the decision is as easy as that.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Very unlikely we will get any money for DDG who is on 350k a week contract for another two years.
He's nearly impossible to just ship out.

Which is why we never should have given him that contract.

Some would say (and sadly I don't disagree) that the best case scenario is that DDG doesn't decline further, and remains (for the next couple of years) on his current level.

Which makes him - what? A shot stopper who doesn't excel in any other areas, and whose shot stopping ability has declined compared to his peak.

That's the best case scenario, mind you.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

What do people prefer:

2. Keep DDG and sell Henderson for £50m. The money will be re-invested on top of the transfer budget.

It's worth remembering that we can bring in another quality player for 50m, so I don't think the decision is as easy as that.
This is partly why it's so frustrating not to have seen more of Henderson this season.

If we came to the conclusion that it was ultimately much of a muchness between De Gea and Henderson then we might be better off cashing in on Henderson, strengthening elsewhere this summer and signing a long-term goalkeeper of sufficient quality at a later point.

Whereas if we think Henderson is the real deal long-term then it's option 1 all the way.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's nearly impossible to just ship out.

Which is why we never should have given him that contract.

Some would say (and sadly I don't disagree) that the best case scenario is that DDG doesn't decline further, and remains (for the next couple of years) on his current level.

Which makes him - what? A shot stopper who doesn't excel in any other areas, and whose shot stopping ability has declined compared to his peak.

That's the best case scenario, mind you.
Pretty much.

I suppose the hope in that scenario would be that he keeps errors to a minimum, keeps improving his sweeping, maybe isn't quite as average at shot stopping as he has been this season and benefits from a new CB coming in and improving the defence generally. At which point he has a few alright seasons before moving on.

Not exactly a mouth-watering upside.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I would think that DeGea is possibly looking at getting back into Spain as soon as he can, so he can be with his family, but where he would go, I'm not sure.
Both Atletico and Real have very good keepers, and younger than De Gea, I've not heard that either are unsettled, or are on other clubs radar, so in Madrid, that leaves Getafe as the only La Liga side who may look for a new keeper, but whether they would have the money, or the inspiration, to sign a top keeper, again, I'm not sure.
There may be clubs within La Liga who certainly could do with a new keeper, and also whether De Gea would take a pay cut, so he could move back to Spain to be with his family is all part of this interesting side show.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

What do people prefer:

Henderson might be worth 50m but there's no way we would get that for him. Let's face it, it's only going to be English clubs interested him (probably) and the big clubs are already set in that position. So that only leaves the smaller clubs as the ones bidding for him and they won't offer that much for him. They can't afford it. I would also lose my sh*t if we sold a bright young player like Henderson. De Gea has to be the one to go. Only problem with be who will take him on those wages. His only option may be to lower his wages for whatever club signs him. But he won't want to do that unless he's not getting first team football here. So sit him on the bench and put him up for sale for 25m and see if we get any offers. And if we do, take whatever we can get...

CasaStreets

I would think that DeGea is possibly looking at getting back into Spain as soon as he can, so he can be with his family, but where he would go, I'm not sure.
Both Atletico and Real have very good keepers, and younger than De Gea, I've not heard that either are unsettled, or are on other clubs radar, so in Madrid, that leaves Getafe as the only La Liga side who may look for a new keeper, but whether they would have the money, or the inspiration, to sign a top keeper, again, I'm not sure.
There may be clubs within La Liga who certainly could do with a new keeper, and also whether De Gea would take a pay cut, so he could move back to Spain to be with his family is all part of this interesting side show.
There's always the other option, which may end up happening, that we pay partial wages post-transfer.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Not exactly a mouth-watering upside.
No, sadly - it ain't.

The likelihood of him a) going back to being a truly fantastic shot stopper on a consistent basis or b) developing into a truly great allround keeper...just seems slim.

And there we are.

Our best paid player. The best paid player in the world in his position. And he is...someone we hope won't get significantly worse over the next couple of years.

Where is he now - objectively? How does he rank? In terms of keepers?

He should be, say, the Lewandowski of goal keepers - but he obviously isn't.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Maybe if PSG or Chelsea get Oblak, De Gea could go back to Atletico. I dunno, it's all FM stuff really isn't it. It's likely we're stuck with him.

ti vu

We're never going to get rid of him unless it is on a free.
Even if we give him away, his wage is an issue. I am not aware of any other club pay a GK this kind of wage. In this financial climate nobody wants to mess the squad wage structure. We likely have to go for the Real Madrid-Bale loan situation.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Maybe if PSG or Chelsea get Oblak, De Gea could go back to Atletico. I dunno, it's all FM stuff really isn't it. It's likely we're stuck with him.
We may be, but when you become a father, it's a game changer. Your whole life suddenly changes direction, and things you once held in great stead, become less important. I appreciate that this is his job, and he will want to carry on as long as possible, but I would think that De Gea's partner would not really want to move away from Spain, (family, medical, less stress, some of the reasons for staying) so they may come to a decision, or may have already, the best way forward for them as a family.
This is all conjecture, obviously, but going home after work, and looking forward to seeing your baby grow over the weeks/months/ years is one of the most rewarding things you can do in life.

Last edited:

davidmichael

What do people prefer:

De Gea is on £17 million plus a year in wages and declining more and more so I’d rather we got rid on a free seeing as we’ve got a keeper as good or arguably better already in place, it isn’t just the money though as Henderson is lot more vocal and commands his area far better as shown last night as Maguire looked much more comfortable with someone vocal behind him so it also comes down to who’s better for our defenders.

dinostar77

Lets see how Henderson does over the next 5 or 6 games. We will know more after that. I'm hoping Henderson is the real deal for Utd.

If De Gea goes this summer, his route to la liga is shut. Its gotta be PSG or nowhere.

Another cockup by Woodward .

Tallis

What do people prefer:

I opt for 1. Getting rid of DDG saves us £40m over 2 years of his remaining contract ? That is not far off from the 50m we get from Henderson in this scenario. But more importantly, I think Henderson has more upside as a keeper whereas DDG is on the way down.

croadyman

I opt for 1. Getting rid of DDG saves us £40m over 2 years of his remaining contract ? That is not far off from the 50m we get from Henderson in this scenario. But more importantly, I think Henderson has more upside as a keeper whereas DDG is on the way down.
Mind you would the club be willing to pay off DDG in the same way we saw with Sanchez